• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best mission in Destiny is the first one / prologue

Z3M0G

I just started two new characters and played through the prologue mission twice... after doing so (being level 30 with my first character) and watching friends play through that prologue mission a few times in the past as well, I officially feel that this initial 10-minute (or less) prologue mission is the best part of Destiny.

- Atmosphere is fantastic, along with the few cinematic set pieces that take place.
The Ghost flying around in the large dark area and lighting up the environment around him as he look around, fantastic lighting! Other dark corridors as you walk through that area. The large ship teleporting in and knocking down the tower in the distance. The discovery of your first ship.

- The near-constant dialogue pushing the story forward

- The best use of the music score in the game. Happens during other missions, sure, but it feels like it is put to best use here of all.

- Perfect flow to the mission. Getting that first level up. Getting the loot crate and gun along the way, etc.

The prologue mission gives a real sense of wonder about the events to follow. It's the perfect intro mission. I could play it over and over and never get bored of it.

There are a few similar high points later in the game, but this first mission makes you feel that they would be a regular occurrence... rather than 3-4 more throughout the entire game.

Of my ~60 hours playing destiny, this less than 10 minutes was the best. Hands down.
Sad face?

I'd tend to agree. The rest of the story keeps going, and it has little points where it seems like it's about to gain newfound focus and presentation (some of the Venus missions for example) but then just nothing comes of it. The first level was also where all the wonder and intrigue of what may come of the story and world were still there.

This was the E3 2013 gameplay, so I imagine they got it done and polished really early on while they scrambled to finish the rest.

The very first story mission and the Vault of Glass are far and away the best parts of Destiny. We all know the faults of the story/campaign and I find Crota's End to be a major step backwards after how enjoyable VoG was.

Sure, but I'll disagree on one point:

- The best use of the music score in the game. Happens during other missions, sure, but it feels like it is put to best use here of all.

That goes to either The Garden's Spire or The Black Garden.

tbm24

I only ever paid attention to the prologue twice. Once during the Beta and then as I made my 3rd Hunter recently. By the time I made my 3rd Hunter I knew quite a bit about what the game may have gone through and how a lot is likely to be missing. So certain things stuck out to me. Mainly how unique the whole area is until you get out and how unlike anything else within Destiny is like it. That and fact that there's a section with trip mines. I know hunters get one, but otherwise that never comes back as an element within a mission. Thought it was very weird.

Good topic - agree with all the points but VoG is awesome as well (for totally different reasons).

Essentially:-

prologue = best single player
VoG = best multiplayer

TM94

When you saw that fan with the cool lighting effect...

The shooting felt tight, the enemies seemed cool and the environments were gorgeous.

What a first impression that game had.

Ophelion

I actually really like the mission where you
rescue the Warmind
. It's not as nicely paced as the prologue, but it was one of the few missions where I felt like what I was doing was important. It's also early enough on that I was still pretty sure I knew WTF was even going on. Which is important to me.

The music that plays when you open that dome and the
Hive Tombships
show up to try and ruin your day? So good.

Wabba

When you saw that fan with the cool lighting effect...

The shooting felt tight, the enemies seemed cool and the environments were gorgeous.

What a first impression that game had.

The intro with the music was amazing, i remember watching it on twitch and then i thought that this is going to be big like one of the biggest franchises ever. And watching the intro part, but the game goes downhill after that and never picks up. Its so bad because the game had so much potential, i still think that Bungie can make this to a great franchise.

Z3M0G

Favorite part of the prologue: when you realize that your character died in a traffic jam.

LOL! I always believed that "debunked" leak that the intro was first intended for the Exo race only... which makes sense because it is believable that the ghost could revive your non-decomposed body with a blast of energy. Id love to find that disgruntled employee leak again and review it with even more hind-sight and the known plan of what is to come.

It also features the use of those laser beams, which are never seen in the game again.
I think.

I didnt even think of that!!

Marcel

The Fallen saw how easily their laser tripmines were defeated and were like, "Fuck it. We're done with this outdated crap". And then proceeded to be cannon fodder losers anyway.

EGM1966

Agreed. The opening (and arguably your visit to the reef) I think gives a feel of what might have been if Bungie hadn't thrown coherent SP campaign under the bus in favour of a more open structure aligned to the light MMO grind requiring lots of rinse/repeat mission playbthroughs.

The SP campaign hinted at is what I really wanted from Destiny.

SkylineRKR

Best music is at the heart of the garden, the last battle.

But for the rest, yes the first mission is pretty decent. Unlike everything else.

So the part that is from a different game? Linear stuff should just get pulled out altogether. I hate having to replay it if I want to start a new character.

I have to agree with OP, the first mission was great. The atmosphere was amazing and the flow was perfect. . wish they would of kept it going. Destiny 2. .

geordiemp

Sword of crota / black garden were both amazing

Also Your first runs in Vault of Glass was very very special - I remember my hands shaking in anticipation when playing the first time.

The vault was amazing and worth the admission price alone, better than many games by itself - just a shame the community worked out how to cheese Atheon off his ledge.

Also special mention to the last Ps4 strike doing black garden in reverse, best gun play strike with sealed off last zone, not too silly boss and lots of adds - best strike gameplay.

Nabbis

I didn't find it to be of good quality. Sure, it's better than the rest of the game, but that's not really saying much. It's nice how they explain to us on how the hell did that Ghost find us and wtf are we doing aside from bringing "light" to every butthole.

Marcel

Sword of crota / black garden were both amazing

Also Your first runs in Vault of Glass was very very special - I remember my hands shaking in anticipation when playing the first time.

The vault was amazing and worth the admission price alone, better than many games by itself - just a shame the community worked out how to cheese Atheon off his ledge.

Also special mention to the last Ps4 strike doing black garden in reverse, best gun play strike with sealed off last zone, not too silly boss and lots of adds - best strike gameplay.

hey bungie this guy is dumb enough to pay $60 or more for one raid and to compliment you for lazily reusing level content. you really have these people so never let them go

cakely

I'm a fan of that strike. It's one of the best-looking areas of the game and you get the opportunity to see it from another vantage point.

geordiemp

hey bungie this guy is dumb enough to pay $60 or more for one raid and to compliment you for lazily reusing level content. you really have these people so never let them go

No need to call me dumb, which game has better gunplay on console than Destiny in 2014 ?

Wolfenstein gunplay was good but not as good as Destiny. COD AW don't get me started, tick rate, lag, I could go on, yuk

Destiny Crucible was for me best console multiplayer shooter in 2014.

List your games that were better.

Have you played the VOG raid ? Thought not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You get to think this about people if that's just how it goes in your brain, but try to have some decency and keep it out of your remarks in a public forum. If someone wants to ascribe the value they've derived from an experience to the market price of any game, from my perspective it doesn't give me license in the context of a conversation about that game to call them dumb and make little accusations about how feeble-minded anyone who feels the same way must be.

I get that it pisses you off that Destiny has been successful, but consider leaving the individuals on the forum out of it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was the only part of the game that felt like a single player game with a story. Getting your ship and going to the tower for the first time were really great.

Then IIRC your next mission is to go back to the exact same spot, and that's where the problems started.

No need to call me dumb, which game has better gunplay on console than Destiny in 2014 ?

Wolfenstein gunplay was good but not as good as Destiny. COD AW don't get me started, tick rate, lag, I could go on, yuk

Destiny Crucible was for me best console multiplayer shooter in 2014.

List your games that were better.

Have you played the VOG raid ? Thought not.

Outside of that last line, none of what you said addressed why he called you dumb. And even that last line wasn't much of an argument.

Not that I think him calling you dumb was something he should have done.

Top Bottom