• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars Technica reviews PlayStation Now (with bandwidth tests)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There is no hard detail on latency other than the reviewer's perceptions, but some bandwidth related testing that might be of interest if you're wondering how PS Now might fare on your connection.

I'm kind of hoping a site like DF might do some harder latency testing, but I don't know if that would be tricky since they seem to be mostly UK based.

With PlayStation Now, Sony proves that game streaming works

When initially reviewing OnLive back in 2010, running a game through the offering's remote servers was a noticeably worse experience than running that same game locally. Even with a 20Mbps FiOS connection, our reviewer "could tell that the game was not running natively" thanks to "framerate bumps, sudden resolution drops, and gameplay blips."

Things have changed quite a bit in the intervening time. For one, we tested PlayStation Now on a relatively beefy (but still residential-level) 75 Mbps FiOS connection in the Washington, DC suburbs. At that speed, the streaming experience was practically indistinguishable from loading a disc on a local PS3. After about 30 to 60 seconds of start up (including a required connection test to confirm bandwidth), PlayStation Now games ran at a solid HD resolution. We saw a smooth, rock-steady frame rate and seemingly instantaneous responses to our controller inputs.

The performance over this connection was identical over wireless and wired connections, and it didn't seem to dip even when someone was streaming video in another room. While pro-level players might be able to notice some dropped frames in a twitch-heavy game like Super Street Fighter IV, an intermediate player (including this reviewer) should see no apparent issues. If you set the PlayStation Now app next to a PlayStation 3 running the same game, we'd be hard pressed to tell you which was which.

Our throttle testing started with a limit of 5 Mbps of download speed, which Sony recommends as the minimum "for an optimal gaming experience." At that bandwidth level, the service usually wouldn't even start; instead, a pre-launch connection test told us that the connection simply wasn't good enough for PlayStation Now. The same error surfaced when bumping the bandwidth limit up to 6 Mbps.

At 7 Mbps, we were able to start PlayStation Now reliably—but with a significant performance hit. The image was noticeably grainier than it had been at full bandwidth. Sometimes we were able to get a relatively smooth frame rate at this bandwidth, but most of the time the frame rate stuttered, dipping noticeably up and down near constantly. A game like Super Street Fighter IV was technically playable at this level, and inputs seemed to register just fine, but the constant stuttering usually made it a frustrating experience.

SLIDING UNDER THE DATA CAP
If you're one of the many unlucky broadband customers subject to a cap on your data usage, you may rightly wonder how streaming HD gameplay from a remote server will eat into your monthly allotment. In our tests, most games sucked down an average of 2.6 GB of downloaded data over an hour of gameplay. On a plan with a 150 GB data cap, that means you could stream about 57 hours of PlayStation Now gaming every month, provided you didn't want to do anything else with your connection...

This rate varied very little across a number of game types, from heavy action games to low-res classics to relatively sedate puzzle games. The only exception was our test of Pure Chess, which only drew 732 MB of data on an hourly basis. This might be because that game's static view of the chess board remains largely unchanged from frame to frame, which probably helps with the compressed image stream.

With just a little more bandwidth, though, the experience improved quite a bit. At a limit of 8 Mbps, the image returned to what seemed like 720p HD and boasted a solid frame rate throughout. At this bandwidth level, the only issues were occasional compression artifacts appearing as small, scrambled boxes of pixels for a few frames here and there. By the time we hit 9 Mbps of download speed, streaming once again felt like local play.

Lots more at the link including a more general assessment of the service and content etc.

With just a little more bandwidth, though, the experience improved quite a bit. At a limit of 8 Mbps, the image returned to what seemed like 720p HD and boasted a solid frame rate throughout. At this bandwidth level, the only issues were occasional compression artifacts appearing as small, scrambled boxes of pixels for a few frames here and there. By the time we hit 9 Mbps of download speed, streaming once again felt like local play.

Perhaps I'm just used to that level of speed, but that doesn't seem unreasonable. Granted, if that's the minimum and Sony advertises otherwise, different story.

But most consumers have this speed. Not bad.

I have no issue with bandwidth but I am stuck over the other side of fence. Hopefully Sony can make servers available for other regions as well (Asia, Europe, Middle-East)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have a hard time believing that a 9mbps stream could be indistinguishable from a game running on local hardware. There just HAVE TO be noticeable compression artifacts at that bitrate, especially during fast action.

StewboaT_

Strange findings. I'm on a 20mb connection and ps now feels terrible. The input lag completely kills the experience for me.

Orca

I'm curious what a DF article comparing Now to disc visuals would find, and how much image quality people are willing to give up to have it streaming.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
"Felt like local play" isn't going to work for fighting games, character action games, some platformers, etc. But this will be fun for turn-based games and games of a slower pace.

Problem with these tests is that it could vary greatly depending how far the user is from the servers. If the servers are in California and the user is in New York they would have a big difference in latency compared to someone in Texas or Washington state.

Cat Party

Strange findings. I'm on a 20mb connection and ps now feels terrible. The input lag completely kills the experience for me.
Not everyone will notice it. Subjective testing of this is not all that useful. Should be easy to measure input lag, and that would be more helpful.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I have a hard time believing that a 9mbps stream could be indistinguishable from a game running on local hardware. There just HAVE TO be noticeable compression artifacts at that bitrate, especially during fast action.

These reports seem to be entirely the reviewer's perception so ymmv obviously. I'm not sure if he actually set up side by sides or is just going by what he thinks 'feels' or 'looks' good/like a local console game.

A lot would depend on your network locality to the servers too.

Taker34

Banned
9 Mbps? That shouldn't be a problem for me. Unfortunately some of my friends even struggle to get this kind of download speed... which is quite sad. Wish everyone could get better internet access - even then ridiculous data caps can be a problem.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are they merely talking about image quality then?

They seem to be talking about both. I was just saying that just because you have a bandwidth of 20mbps that doesn't automatically mean your latency will also be good. You could have a 1000mbps connection and still get awful input lag. Someone else might have much less bandwidth and therefore get worse image quality, but their latency might be lower so their controller response would be better.

Eh, it depends on the compression. Vudu's 7-9Mbps HDX streams are fairly indistinguishable from Blu-Ray, especially at normal viewing distances. Though that has the benefit of not having to be compressed in real-time

StewboaT_

They seem to be talking about both. I was just saying that just because you have a bandwidth of 20mbps that doesn't automatically mean your latency will also be good. You could have a 1000mbps connection and still get awful input lag. Someone else might have much less bandwidth and therefore get worse image quality, but their latency might be lower so their controller response would be better.
Ah, that makes sense. One of my friends swears he has very little input lag, so this could definitely explain it.

150mbps connection from Fios here. I played Ninja Gaiden Sigma way back when it was in beta and had I gone into it blind and someone told me it was running off of a disc - I wouldn't have been able to argue otherwise. Whether it was image quality or control response/latency. Given the bandwidth, its what I expected.

JP

Seems decent from what they say. I do think people really need to have reasonable expectations of the service though, although you're obviously not going to get a pixel for pixel likeness without any lag you can get something that is reasonable for what the service is.

I have a 50Mbps Verizon FIOS connection. I used to use OnLive extensively as well in the past before I bought a PC rig. Some games like Splelunky indeed look and feel native. However, I could see compression artifacts on Batman Arkham City. The latency seemed impressive. I didn't try out any fighting games yet, but I wouldn't want to play fighting games on a cloud gaming platform anyway due to inherent latency.

SLIDING UNDER THE DATA CAP
If you're one of the many unlucky broadband customers subject to a cap on your data usage, you may rightly wonder how streaming HD gameplay from a remote server will eat into your monthly allotment. In our tests, most games sucked down an average of 2.6 GB of downloaded data over an hour of gameplay. On a plan with a 150 GB data cap, that means you could stream about 57 hours of PlayStation Now gaming every month, provided you didn't want to do anything else with your connection...

This is the deal breaker for me, not by choice of course. My speeds hover around 25 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up but I'm already on my third and final warning from Comcast about going over my 200GB data cap. And that's without using PS Now at all.

outside of some artifacting, it works. It very much works. The issue isn't if it works, it's why in god's name is the library so meh and how come it's limited to just PS3 games right now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Eh, it depends on the compression. Vudu's 7-9Mbps HDX streams are fairly indistinguishable from Blu-Ray, especially at normal viewing distances. Though that has the benefit of not having to be compressed in real-time

Well, I regularly see people here on GAF say how much better BD movies look than Netflix's best quality, Ultra HD, and that's a ~25mbps stream. I don't watch many BDs these days, so I can't really say for sure, but 9mbps is a far cry from that either way.

Uraizen

Banned
While pro-level players might be able to notice some dropped frames in a twitch-heavy game like Super Street Fighter IV, an intermediate player (including this reviewer) should see no apparent issues.

Bull

By the time we hit 9 Mbps of download speed, streaming once again felt like local play.

Shit

---

As a side note, if that was considered intermediate play, then my mother is a three-legged sloth.

Jomjom

Banned
No matter how fast your connection is the quality is not the same as playing locally. But it's just one of those trade offs that you accept if you want to have that kind of service. The same as with Netflix and BD. If I'm watching a movie in my iPad or phone, or just to have something on in the background, Netflix is perfectly fine. If I'm taking time out to watch a movie on my home theater system of course only BD is going to do.

Jomjom

Banned

This is not true at all. There's a huge difference.

Mystery

I guess it would depend on the transfer, but I believe this to be largely untrue, unless you're talking about Gangs of New York, The Fifth Element (1st edition), or something shot in SD like 28 Days Later.

Yeah I suppose the ping would be more important regarding the actual input response, bandwidth would determine video quality. I'd need to test what my setup would put me around. I need to go demo this :) I just got Time Warner's digital rollout and am averaging around 250 Mbps. I don't remember my ping being all that impressive however.

At work, according to speedtest.net, my average bandwith on a downstream is 3.3Mbps, but my ping is 4ms, that's pretty crazy actually. To think that an input can process that fast on the receiving end. These services are going to be mind blowing when we hit full digital saturation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

What's so strange about that? I have 100 (which I can actually reach if I bypass my crappy router), very common here in Sweden. I could get 1000 if I wanted to, but I don't really see the point in spending that extra money.

EDIT: Maybe you were "wut"-ing 70-80MBps. Yeah, that's probably not very likely. Although certainly not impossible (see above - 1000Mbps is potentially 125MB/s).

What's so strange about that? I have 100 (which I can actually reach if I bypass my crappy router), very common here in Sweden. I could get 1000 if I wanted to, but I don't really see the point in spending that extra money.

I think it was the capitals on both M and B implying you were getting near gigabit internet (which could still be the case) Sweden I would imagine to have Fiber optic networks and or amazing digital infrastructure.

I imagine if they had a PS Now server in Kansas City, the experience for people within the direct network would be indistinguishable from local play. Man I want that fiber web :D

sade

Banned
This "professional" tech review with no measured latency milisecons is like some random dude telling me it is cool.

mmm k.

Yep, I get 45 mbps download and it didn't look HD and input lag was awful.

Then again I can't get shareplay to work on my connection so who knows.

Yep, I get 45 mbps download and it didn't look HD and input lag was awful.

Then again I can't get shareplay to work on my connection so who knows.

When you get the chance, see what your machine is pinging at. I think it'll tell you in the network test over the console itself.

Man o man, Google fiber is in talks with Portland Oregon.

This "professional" tech review with no measured latency milisecons is like some random dude telling me it is cool.

mmm k.

Feeling the same way. This pretty much means nothing to me.

"Well my friend tried it and didn't feel any lag and it looked pretty good"

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think it was the capitals on both M and B implying you were getting near gigabit internet (which could still be the case) Sweden I would imagine to have Fiber optic networks and or amazing digital infrastructure.

I imagine if they had a PS Now server in Kansas City, the experience for people within the direct network would be indistinguishable from local play. Man I want that fiber web :D

Yeah, I got that right after posting!

And yeah, we do have a lot of fiber here. I live in a very average apartment in a sort of crappy neighborhood in Gothenburg (Sweden's 2nd city), and I get it. One of the best things about it, beyond the high and stable speeds, is that I don't have to bother with some shitty modem. I just get my internet out of an Ethernet port in the wall. (I do need a router though, obviously, and the one I currently have is bottlenecking me.)

I have a 50 up/down FIOS connection that routinely gets faster speeds than that and my experience was brutal, so much so that I canceled the auto renew on the trial and write the service off. Guess I will try again if/when they have some sales or more trials.

I tried Dynasty Warriors and Red Faction IIRC. Felt worse than playing ChuChu Rocket on the Dreamcast with the input lag.

Top Bottom