• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars Technica reviews PlayStation Now (with bandwidth tests)

This is not true at all. There's a huge difference.

I mean to like 90+% of people watching. It's well past the "good enough" test for consumers. Enthusiasts might have issues with it. I have very discerning visual tastes, and I can't be bothered to care about the difference.

Well, I regularly see people here on GAF say how much better BD movies look than Netflix's best quality, Ultra HD, and that's a ~25mbps stream. I don't watch many BDs these days, so I can't really say for sure, but 9mbps is a far cry from that either way.

Ultra HD is 15Mbps, and is 4k

18Mb/s speeds here and I can say it is very reliable. Starts up each time, unless I'm on wireless and its during a bad time and my bandwidth is sucking it up at that moment.

When I played Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time it was near flawless even on my wifi at a good time, but there were a few moments when I could tell the IQ dropped a tad down to keep up with the pace of the game. I never had a moment of input lag though, felt just like playing it live.

Really is fantastic tech. I'd say 15Mb/s is prob the minimum I would recommend.

LordOfChaos

It's a bit funny that this concept applied the other way - going from the last gen consoles to current gen - would make the newer generation partly moot if you could just play PS4 games on a PS3. The last gen HD twins could certainly stream like this.

Granted, the PS4 and XBO use big SoCs that would be costly to have thousands of running in server racks (like this currently uses Cells and RSXs in server boards on racks), but you could certainly do it with PC games and more standard hardware.

Bull

Shit

---

As a side note, if that was considered intermediate play, then my mother is a three-legged sloth.

Why are you calling BS? Sounds about right. I was pretty damn impressed at just how well it worked both on PS4 and Vita.

Didn't they leave out the most important factor?

How near were they to the next Sony datacenter.

That's be a good idea, I live in the very south of Texas and it worked well. Would be good for others to chime in.

Why are you calling BS? Sounds about right. I was pretty damn impressed at just how well it worked both on PS4 and Vita.

That's be a good idea, I live in the very south of Texas and it worked well. Would be good for others to chime in.

Also depends on whether or not they're supplying the servers or if they're renting. I really don't know much about it :p

Seth

I wonder exactly how they imposed this bandwidth limit on their connection. Latency should be one of the biggest factors in how the game feels, even if the picture quality looks like shit.

I have 100 down rock solid business class. Nothing looked native to me when I tested it. My ping is always below 15ms and I still notice lag when streaming PSNow. Its acceptable in a pinch but in no way can it be mistaken for native.

I'm on 14mps and I can run PSNow on PS4 just fine, only problem are the suden dips in quality every few minutes. Weirdly enough, this doesn't seem to happen a lot when playing on a Vita in fact I had barely any drop on the Vita than the PS4. I'm guessing is because the game is streaming on a lower resolution than a PS4 but still it's pretty impressive especially if Sony plans to bring this to Phones and Tablets.

Helznicht

Strange findings. I'm on a 20mb connection and ps now feels terrible. The input lag completely kills the experience for me.

Not all 20mb connections are created equal. I have AT&T and my buddy across town had Time Warner (RR). I have 40mb and he has 20mb. His connection was MUCH more stable, could download quicker and had on average lower pings than mine, even though all the speed test reports from websites said otherwise.

Real word /= advertised or tests.

Kaydan

Banned
Bandwidth is almost useless if you want to test playability. They should have structured their tests around the player's location, not the bandwidth size.

SerTapTap

Not everyone will notice it. Subjective testing of this is not all that useful. Should be easy to measure input lag, and that would be more helpful.

The amount of input lag PS Now adds is probably negligable compared to the ping some connections have. If it's unplayable for you it's probably your connection, not an inherent part of PS Now. At some point, you're fighting against the speed of light and there's just always going to be latency. Some percent of people will probably never be able to take proper advantage of this stuff.

That said, 9Mbps is a pretty low barrier for bandwidth, really.

Bandwidth is almost useless if you want to test playability. They should have structured their tests around the player's location, not the bandwidth size.

It's half of the equation, and the more easily measured one. Ping can be variable and more people down their down speeds than ping (though testing it against a SINGLE location is pretty easy)

Wut. It's not even close .

Sorry, I was trying to more explain that it is clearly in the "close enough" range for the majority of consumers, if they were to compare the two. Such that watching it on its own they wouldn't really know they were watching one or the other.

I know I wouldn't care if I were watching Vudu instead of a Blu-Ray, and I do have a very discerning visual acuity for such things.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ultra HD is 15Mbps, and is 4k

Ah, I thought that was their best 1080p stream. What was that called, "Super HD"? Is that gone, and it's simply 1080p now? All these marketing terms confuse me. Just tell me the resolution, dammit! Either way, they recommend 25Mbps for Ultra, but I guess that's so you have some to spare.

spekkeh

Banned
Man it's so weird to see some Americans have to deal with data caps. Like, there'd be riots in the streets here.

spwolf

I have a 50 up/down FIOS connection that routinely gets faster speeds than that and my experience was brutal, so much so that I canceled the auto renew on the trial and write the service off. Guess I will try again if/when they have some sales or more trials.

I tried Dynasty Warriors and Red Faction IIRC. Felt worse than playing ChuChu Rocket on the Dreamcast with the input lag.

it has little to do with the speed and a lot more with latency (ping) to their PSNow server that is closest to you.

I have no data caps, but do have a woefully crappy connection I pay too much for. 3Mbps for $60 a month (there's no competition here) so I can't partake. 25Mbps cpsts around $150 a month. By price the more effective solution, but also something I can't rationalize. Given that $60 is one bill among many.

spwolf

I wonder exactly how they imposed this bandwidth limit on their connection. Latency should be one of the biggest factors in how the game feels, even if the picture quality looks like shit.

yes, i wonder this too - routher bandwith limitation is probably not the greatest, and quite possibly you might have same experience with 5Mbs connection that they have with 9 Mbs... I believe routher bandwith control drops packets to limit connection.

Of course, if you barely satisfy minimum requirements, it also means that someone else in the house surfing the net will cause your game to glitch for a second.

But who does not have at least 10 Mbs these days? Minimums are more like 20 Mbs... real limit is upload speed and for this purpose it does not matter anyway.

Reallink

Problem with these tests is that it could vary greatly depending how far the user is from the servers. If the servers are in California and the user is in New York they would have a big difference in latency compared to someone in Texas or Washington state.

Not just distance, but also the peering and routing path your ISP uses. Connecting to a server 100 miles away may be 16ms on one ISP but 50ms on another.

Yeah there's a ton of annoying variables to account for regarding ping. A hardwired line is obviously preferred, but anything on Wifi has so much to account for. I imagine Wavelength, and interference to be major players.

I am hardwired BTW, I have no idea what causes such awful issues. I can download up to 6MBps though on psn.

I'm sorry, but this is kind of sad for a professional tech review. I expected DF level of actual timing measurements and lag compared to a local setup, not just "felt like local play".

But who does not have at least 10 Mbs these days? Minimums are more like 20 Mbs... real limit is upload speed and for this purpose it does not matter anyway.
People in small American towns.

We have Whirlwind DSL through KanOkla. Fiber-optics, and yet the fast speed is 250Mbps for $400 a month, down to 3Mbps for $60. Cheapest possible under my budget was the 3Mbps. Which when I started my sub was actually 1.5Mbps for $60 but we got boosted speeds when the fiber-optics were put in.

Small towns + monopolies = higher prices for everyone!

cjp

Of all tech publications, I would have thought that Ars knew the difference between Mb and MB.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I've only got 5 mbps down here in southern California. All the talk here makes me simmer with envy, yet I mostly get by okay on my 5 mbps. Just have to wait longer for downloads.

I have a hard time believing that a 9mbps stream could be indistinguishable from a game running on local hardware. There just HAVE TO be noticeable compression artifacts at that bitrate, especially during fast action.

Unique compression routines have been some of the big secrets behind game streaming tech. The solution to the problem isn't isolated to bandwidth. Sony acquired gaikai for a reason.

Petrae

Man it's so weird to see some Americans have to deal with data caps. Like, there'd be riots in the streets here.

Here, you either deal with the data caps or you go without Internet due to lack of competition (along with most ISPs implementing data caps here anyway).

My data cap forces me to be selective with how I use it. Since I watch a lot of streaming media and do a lot of web-surfing, I buy fewer digital games and am wary of large patches.

Here, you either deal with the data caps or you go without Internet due to lack of competition (along with most ISPs implementing data caps here anyway).

My data cap forces me to be selective with how I use it. Since I watch a lot of streaming media and do a lot of web-surfing, I buy fewer digital games and am wary of large patches.

The worst part is losing unlimited bandwidth in Canada, because of various reasons....only to see those reasons go away 2 years later if you're willing to pay extra for it.

:/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Eh, it depends on the compression. Vudu's 7-9Mbps HDX streams are fairly indistinguishable from Blu-Ray, especially at normal viewing distances.

I see you finally StoppedMakingSense. What a load of bull, there's a HUGE difference between that and a bluray's video quality. Freakin' huge.

Is there any way to find out my ping to the nearest ps now server?

before you even are able to purchase a game, individually, it will run a network test first to see if you can even play it. Will just tell you you can't play the game with your current bandwidth it the test fails.

Rourkey

This tech baffles me!

Were simply not going to need consoles or PC's in the future are we? This will all be built in to TV's and monitors, its inevitable!

herod

Latency testing in a review like this is pointless information because it is absolutely specific to the connection tested. It would mean nothing to anyone other than the guys sharing the connection with the reviewer.

Withnail

My 152mb down is ready, UK is ready. sony are you ready?

tbh a download speed that high is pointless for this, the maximum upload from the server will be far lower. Someone on a 10mbps connection could have a better PS Now experience than you if they're closer to a datacentre.

omonimo

Banned
Good Lord in Italy this service it's send to dead. We are the third world of the bandwith.Just to give an idea even 7 Mbps aren't real 7 Mbps here. It's the more optimistic scenario to have a full steady 7 Mbps service. But of course with crazy amount of money you can pass at better bandwith.

It's early days, but if Sony can get proper streaming working then I think this is really damn exciting. I fucking love browsing and watching random stuff on Netflix, and I'd be totally down with a gaming equivalent. Just need to make sure there's plentiful content from day one.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Fuck yeah for glass fiber internet over here. 40Mbps download / 40Mbps upload, and that's near the low-end of the spectrum.

Will give this a shot if the trial comes to the EU.

Top Bottom