• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock 2 pulled from digital retailers

MattyG

Banned
Bioshock 2 and its downloadable content packs are not currently available for purchase from digital distribution platforms, such as Steam, PlayStation Network Store, Xbox Store, GreenManGaming, the Apple Store and Amazon.

First pointed out on the PC Gaming subreddit, it is suspected that the game was pulled for sale from digital retailers due to music license issues. This follows the removal of BioShock 2, along with Far Cry 2, BioShock 2: Minerva's Den DLC, Crysis 2, and The Darkness, for sale from the Xbox 360 games store last month.
Source

UPDATE
Polygon: 2K says the game will return to digital storefronts
Update: A representative for 2K says the game will be returning to digital stores soon. Their full statement follows.

"BioShock 2 has been temporarily removed from the Steam, Xbox Live, and PlayStation Network marketplaces and will return to these digital stores soon. We'll let you know when that happens. In the meantime, this in no way affects the single-player or multiplayer experience for those who currently own BioShock 2."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously though, B2 was horrible. I don't even mind i they were to omit it from any future remasters.

*EDIT*.

I guess i should say that Bioshock 2 was just plain unnecessary. It was horrible to me because it was just a waste of a game outside of arguably better mechanics. But i never played Bioshock for the combat, as i felt 1's was absolutely serviceable to the experience.

JayEH

Really annoys me when publishers don't give any heads up for things like this.

Seriously though, B2 was horrible. I don't even mind i they were to omit it from any future remasters.

A lot of people think it to be the best Bioshock game.

BioShock 2 has significantly more refined gameplay, a much better management of engine, and enemy variety. The core "game" part of BioShock 2 is and was always excellent.

As a narrative, it is a footnote to BioShock 1 that adds nothing. It also doesn't detract anything and is an excuse to tour more of Rapture. Minerva's Den is also excellent.

BioShock 2 may not live up to BioShock 1 but, then again, what does?

Tagyhag

It was worse than 1 but horrible? Strong word breh.

Of course, it depends on the context, all Bioshock games are horrible compared to SS2.

aww man. while bs2 wasnt nearly as good as the first game i thought it was still pretty enjoyable. liked it a lot more then infinite thats for sure.

Inuhanyou

I'd love to know your opinion of the other two BioShock games if BS2 is "Nothing of Value".

Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. The story, the art deco, the gameplay, everything IMO was almost flawless. Then we have 2, coming in disrupting the lore, adding tacked on story and gameplay features to the world of Rapture that were not even remotely necessary...including that offensive online multiplayer component. It was a sequel that really didn't need to exist in any form.

I have huge issues with Bioshock infinite, and it damn near almost took away everything i liked about the first game, but atleast it had something different to it besides being a worse clone riding off its success.

Bio

Can anyone explain to me why Video Games seem to have this unique problem? Maybe I am just blind to it, but I never seem to see movies getting pulled from Amazon or Walmart because of some licensing issue running out. Or is that stuff just behind the scenes?

Derailed.jpg

Tapejara

Polygon: 2K says the game will return to digital storefronts

Update: A representative for 2K says the game will be returning to digital stores soon. Their full statement follows.

"BioShock 2 has been temporarily removed from the Steam, Xbox Live, and PlayStation Network marketplaces and will return to these digital stores soon. We'll let you know when that happens. In the meantime, this in no way affects the single-player or multiplayer experience for those who currently own BioShock 2."

Toa TAK

Banned

First post is wrong.

I'm not too bummed as I still have Minerva's Den download on my 360, and own the physical copy, but still... B2 owns in the gameplay department over the other two easily.

Inuhanyou

What a horrible night for a first post.

Bioshock 2 easily has the best gameplay of the three.

Mechanically, yes, you can debate with the upgrades of the plasmids and duel wielding that it had better combat. But that's never what i played Bioshock for, and since i thought Bioshock 1 combat was absolutely fine anyway, it was just a waste of a game personally that added nothing.

*EDIT*

So the game is coming back?

Okay fine. You guys can stop the dogpile now :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. The story, the art deco, the gameplay, everything IMO was almost flawless. Then we have 2, coming in disrupting the lore, adding tacked on story and gameplay features to the world of Rapture that were not even remotely necessary...including that offensive online multiplayer component. It was a sequel that really didn't need to exist in any form.

I have huge issues with Bioshock infinite, and it damn near almost took away everything i liked about the first game, but atleast it had something different to it besides being a worse clone riding off its success.

Minerva's Den makes 1 and Infinite look subpar. Also 2 still has the best combat gameplay.

Music license issues... can't they make sure that such thing wont become a problem a few years down the road? I recall GTA San Andreas having specific songs removed, probably due to the same reason?

Don't license stuff for your game that will become problematic in the future.

Crisis averted.

I suppose when the game is back we will be greeted with an update that removes/replaces music, same as with GTA SA?!

Robot Pants

I was against the game from the beginning because of the fact that it didn't need to be made. Just didn't.
But I ended up loving it. Story wasn't as good as 1 but the gameplay was better. So it was a pleasant surprise.

Bio

Music license issues... can't they make sure that such thing wont become a problem a few years down the road? I recall GTA San Andreas having specific songs removed, probably due to the same reason?

Don't license stuff for your game that will become problematic in the future.

Or maybe just negotiate permanent licenses? I can't imagine it's that expensive as I assume low budget movies and such do it all the time.

Holy cow. Unquestionably the worst "first post" I've read in a while.

Nice all digital future we got going here. Was there any GOTY version of Bioshock 2 with some DLC on disc?

See SatoAilDarko's post that I quote below.

Does the Ultimate Rapture Edition have everything on disc or was anything a download code? I got that but haven't opened it yet.

If my memory serves me correctly, yes it did (I bought the 360 version a while ago).

I've always felt Bioshock 2 was a better game than Bioshock 1.

Bioshock 1 is waaay more important, and probably a better experience when first played, but Bioshock 2 just is mechanically more sophisticated, significantly better paced and has more 'highs' as a campaign experience.

Plus Minverva's Den is the best Bioshock related entity.

Tainted

Make sure to turn off auto-updates for BS2 in case they try to patch it to remove any music.

Doesn't turning this off on a per game basis still update the game anyway when you go to launch it ? Maybe Steam changed it, but I just remember that being the case.

The only way to play a game without updating is to put steam in offline mode first ?

I've always felt Bioshock 2 was a better game than Bioshock 1.

Bioshock 1 is waaay more important, and probably a better experience when first played, but Bioshock 2 just is mechanically more sophisticated, significantly better paced and has more 'highs' as a campaign experience.

Plus Minverva's Den is the best Bioshock related entity.

Should have been first post. Agree 100%.

Top Bottom