• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Fast and Furious 9’ Moved Back a Year to 2020

Link.

Universal Pictures will move its ninth “Fast and Furious” movie back a year to April 10, 2020.

The studio did not disclose the reason for the shift, which was announced on Wednesday. “Fast and Furious 9” had been set for April 19, 2019. Both dates fall on Easter weekend.

Universal is freeing up the 2020 slot for the upcoming “Fast and Furious” by moving the animated “Trolls 2” forward by two months from April 10, 2020, to Feb. 14, 2020.

The eighth movie in the franchise, “The Fate of the Furious,” stunned earlier this year, grossing $1.2 billion worldwide. It was directed by F. Gary Gray and starred Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Scott Eastwood, Nathalie Emmanuel, Elsa Pataky, Kurt Russell, and Charlize Theron.

The eight films in the franchise, launched in 2001, have collectively grossed more than $5 billion worldwide. “Furious 7,” which featured the late Paul Walker’s final appearance, is the top performer, having hauled $1.5 billion globally.

Too much of a wait.
5b08c0d58f9380558fb4bd66124442020f4071d006436dce69dbc60199d3e21e.jpg

J_Viper

Getting a sequel done in less than two years from now seemed crazy. A three year gap makes more sense. I wonder if that Statham/Rocko spin-off is still going down.

F8 is still the most fun I've had in the theaters this year.

They’re losing the opportunity for the nines from Fast 9, April 19th, 2019 to flip upside down and reveal they’re racing Satan to save the souls of Han and Gisele.

hamchan

Maybe in this one they'll kill Tyrese off and then Vin will be best buddies with Tyrese's killer by the end of the movie.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm fully expecting them to have cars that form a voltron type robot they all pilot together in the next movie.

Ploid 3.0

I remember being such a big fan of the first movie, my first DVD, and now it's getting ready for the 9th movie. I still need to maybe see the 8th, I don't remember seeing 7, 6, and 5. This is so crazy.

To everyone saying this is about the Rock/Statham spinoff, I'm not sure. I think this is because they're having trouble with a script or director. We're less than two years out from April 2019 and have heard nothing about a script or director for either F9 or the spinoff movie, which hadn't even been officially greenlit.

It's possible the spinoff comes out later in 2019 (although that year is fucking packed with major releases), but I highly doubt it's April.

kevin1025

Banned
To everyone saying this is about the Rock/Statham spinoff, I'm not sure. I think this is because they're having trouble with a script or director. We're less than two years out from April 2019 and have heard nothing about a script or director for either F9 or the spinoff movie, which hadn't even been officially greenlit.

It's possible the spinoff comes out later in 2019 (although that year is fucking packed with major releases), but I highly doubt it's April.

That's true. I can see them fast tracking it and the script being super lousy, though, just to make sure it hits the date. They won't want to leave that billion dollar every movie franchise lay dormant for two calendar years, I imagine.

norm9

This sounds like Rock being a baby and flexing his muscles making up something about a new Escape from Witch Mountain or wack Jumanji 2, thereby delaying the crew and Vin's production schedule.

Flux

This franchise is totally in the fuck it mode. Just wait for Young Fast and Furious and Rock spinoffs.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
WE GOIN' TO SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

That's the only way that I'm watching another one of these turkeys.
Ok, maybe if they revealed that the crew are Terminators.

Da-Kid

Bring back Han as a cyborg please.

But seriously, they ever going to go back to Tokyo, or include characters from Tokyo Drift in any actual way?

cdyhybrid

Bring back Han as a cyborg please.

But seriously, they ever going to go back to Tokyo, or include characters from Tokyo Drift in any actual way?

If it turns into Generic Action Movie Franchise and loses the chemistry between the cast then it's done.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The script leaked.

It's just the word 'family' repeated for 100 pages.

What’s everyone’s beef with The Rock? (As in the actors on the set not us)

Dude saved the franchise no one really gave a shit about F&F till 5 with The Rock and he’s been killing it as Hobbs ever since

Jesus, Tyrese has a real big ego if he thinks anybody gives a shit about a one year delay or whether or not he's in the next movie. His character is the worst of the family anyway. Creepy asshole in a movie with otherwise surprisingly progressive characters.

Dabanton

What’s everyone’s beef with The Rock? (As in the actors on the set not us)

Dude saved the franchise no one really gave a shit about F&F till 5 with The Rock and he’s been killing it as Hobbs ever since

His popular. So Vin is jealous and Tyrese has no movie between each F&F so his desperate.

Top Bottom