• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Years Ago Today - Ryan Davis Passed Away (07/03/2013)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And gaming lost one of its brightest, funniest personalities. One of the two primary personalities which established Giant Bomb, his passing came as a shock especially as he was incredibly young, and his loss left a lasting impact, and to many of us Giantbomb was not the same.

Here's to remembering one of the funniest, wittiest, gaming journalists/personalities who was taken away from us way too soon.

Rest in peace, duder.

v9YEKnk.gif

ryan_davis_feat-610x339.png

Last edited:
I remember that day, crazy it's been a decade now. I first saw him in the on the spot show in the mid 2000's with jeff gerstmann and then eventually on the bombcast.

The Bombcast episode where they eulogized was hard to listen to. Vinny talking about how their kids were going to grow up together. People spray painting “good luck have batman” on a building. Whole thing was surreal. Still have my pink China Don’t Care shirt. Miss that guy. Never cared about celebrity deaths but his got me. Absolutely tragic.

Midn1ght

I still listen to old GB podcast and clips every years. Ryan was a genuine and very funny person with a natural talent for hosting shows and podcasts.
Him, Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Drew and the whole GB family at the time were my favorite video game related content to watch. His passing got me hard, can't believe it has been 10 years already.

Miss him greatly.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Was a fucked up time. Followed the duders from the Gamespot days so his sudden death was certainly surreal, especially after he just got married. Sleep apnea is a mother fucker and till this day I still push people around me with similar symptoms to go for a C-PAP

Pour one out!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thanks for this, man. I'll never forget how hard this hit me and I didn't know the guy personally at all...but it just goes to show how loved he was by so many.

Absolute legend!

RIP Ryan Davis! What a dude!

LQX

Damn, it has been so long. I have to yet hear another internet personality that makes me laugh as much as he did. R.I.P

avin

Long after my time. Sorry I can't contribute, but I'm glad you kids still care about people and want things to have meaning.

avin

Umbasaborne

Banned
That man brought me so much joy during high school. At a time where life seemed so uncertain for me, having giant bomb meant the world to me. I still go back and relisten to old episodes from 08-2013, Ryan’s enthusiasm, humor, and laughter were infectious. He embodied what I loved so much about old giant bomb, he had a natural charisma.

This clip always cracks me the fuck up. I loved the reading of the dsi and wii shop releases.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I guess Giantbomb still has that series where they play through Persona 4.
There is also one where they played Deadly Premonition that is supposed to be pretty good.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That video really shows how big Ryan was.

Yes, he was pretty out of shape, and if you followed GB's coverage, Gerstmann started to change a little while after this and is pretty good physically compared to 2013.

Man, I would love to have seen commentary and videos from Ryan on the gaming happenings of today. He would have put his humorous flare on everything.

MiguelItUp

Giant Bomb at its peak was so outstanding. After Ryan's passing it just slowly deteriorated IMO. Still enjoyed it for a few years, and then stopped all together. Some great memories though.

Krathoon

Giant Bomb at its peak was so outstanding. After Ryan's passing it just slowly deteriorated IMO. Still enjoyed it for a few years, and then stopped all together. Some great memories though.
Eh. Giant Bomb is still good. They finally built up a good team now. Essentially, they just have to build up a team of likeable people to watch.

Krathoon

I have heard that time they played through Deadly Premonition had some good Ryan Davis stuff.
It is the endurance run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom