• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 Teams now being Reported for the Overwatch League.

Tall4Life

so how are these team owners going to recover the 20 mil?

i liked when esports had a buy-in based on talent, not money

Hmm I wonder how some poor schmuck like Robert Kraft could possibly recover 20 million
69484d65cfe9e2f3a4ef4389ae181efd.png

Rizific

Are they doing this purely for glamour? Otherwise I can't imagine the financials working out with such a high upfront fee.
Not sure if you've paid any attention at all to esports over the past few years, but it's going to be pretty huge. I don't pay much attention myself, but it's been pretty obvious that televised esports is on the verge of exploding here in the US. Glamor? Probably not. Financial gain? Absolutely. You can google search the amount of money being thrown around in esports overseas.

How did they scrape the cash for Blizzard's huge fee?

By negotiating down to a number much less than what Blizzard was hoping for is my guess. I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard waved the fee entirely.

Nobody's going to pay $20 million to buy into Overwatch esports, lmao.

so how are these team owners going to recover the 20 mil?

i liked when esports had a buy-in based on talent, not money

I think the entire point of this is to push esports to the next level.

Also with how high buy ins are the best teams/players are gonna get picked up.

Lunatic Hai already did and theyre best ow team so far.

LW Blue got picked up a really good kr team with one of fhe best dps players in the game

You have the best players joining teams because teams/owners have incentives of being really serious.

Birdring is apparently getting pickedup/scouted whos a godly hitscan

Sayaplayer was already offered an OWL spot on a team without trial.

Theres also the fact that rosters can have 12 players so essentially 2 teams.

Lunatic Hai announced their 6 players and confirmed theyre gonna add 6 more

I know theyve announced revenue sharing and ticket sales
50/50 revenue split with teams

A sports league has to be valuable to two parties: those who own it and those who take part. Money is made from "media rights and consumer products" as ActiBlizz put it, plus sponsorships and in-game merchandise. The plan for splitting it between big blue and the teams is that, once marketing and production costs have been taken off, it'll be even.

On top of this the teams will have their own revenue streams, especially as the system develops. "The more traditional areas like ticket sales and concessions and local sponsorships and local merch sales" said Spencer Neumann in the Q2 earnings call, "but they'll also have more unique opportunities such as the ability to host certain nonprofessional Overwatch matches."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/overwatch-league-teams-cities-dates

By negotiating down to a number much less than what Blizzard was hoping for is my guess. I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard waved the fee entirely.

There definitely has been teams paying 20mill

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_...ks-two-more-20-million-overwatch-league-spots

Blizzard Entertainment has finalized deals with its next two Overwatch League buyers, which includes rights to the cities of Houston and Philadelphia for $20 million per spot, sources close to the buyers and the game developer told ESPN.

In Philadelphia, Blizzard sealed the deal with Comcast Spectacor, the owner of the Philadelphia Flyers and sports branch of cable giant Comcast. OpTic Gaming and its new investor, a group led by Texas Rangers co-owner Neil Leibman, have purchased a spot in Houston

The big way most of the endemoc orgs have gotten in is by investors, another exampleis Envyus who recently got $35mill investmant which how theyre paying for their league and owl franchising

JWiLL

Banned
Bit surprised at a C9 team and a flyquest team but no TSM... yet? Wonder if that could be the last team.

TSM has a "stream team"....which includes aimbotcalvin and GaleAdelade that I know of, who are two of the top players on the ranked ladder. Calvin is easily one of the more popular streamers now too and regularly gets 5-6k viewers per stream.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them officially make a move in to OWL if it becomes a success though.

Bit surprised at a C9 team and a flyquest team but no TSM... yet? Wonder if that could be the last team.

TSM has a "stream team"....which includes aimbotcalvin and GaleAdelade that I know of, who are two of the top players on the ranked ladder. Calvin is easily one of the more popular streamers now too and regularly gets 5-6k viewers per stream.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them officially make a move in to OWL if it becomes a success though.

TSM has no interest in OWL rn.
they were working on a team but after the franchising was announced they backed out thinking it wasnt worth it.

they only use Gale and Calvin to have presence in the scene.
Calvin was a former pro but turned full time streamer

That moment when the global league has 3 teams out of 13 so far outside of the U.S.

Even still I'm as hyped for Overwatch League as anyone, even if I might have to root for Philly as my hometown-ish team.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Don't mess with me OP! There needs to be a Houston Overwatch team!

EDIT: Didn't finish reading. Omg yay
Jacob Wolf hasn't gotten anything wrong about Overwatch League yet, so you're in luck!
Awesome. My girlfriend is ecstatic. Guess I have another team to be eternally disappointed in!!!

E: Apparently going to the opening game is a lock.

Literally every team paid $20 million to get in. It's been reported for every team.

Don't mess with me OP! There needs to be a Houston Overwatch team!

Jacob Wolf hasn't gotten anything wrong about Overwatch League yet, so you're in luck!

Zemm

Why would I watch/support a London team that has zero connections to London and no British players? I'm guessing they're hoping for Cloud9 supporters to follow them because I can't see anyone who doesn't play or watch Overwatch wanting to support this team just because they have the London name.

I do get the disturbing feeling that e-sports Overwatch is going to end up killing the game for me.

On the contrary, it should make the game more balanced* and provide heroes that require greater skill.

*assuming Blizzard doesn't screw up their balancing like they have before.

For example, the D.Va and Mercy changes coming out next week are almost directly based on feedback from the pro scene.

On the contrary, it should make the game more balanced* and provide heroes that require greater skill.

*assuming Blizzard doesn't screw up their balancing like they have before.

For example, the D.Va and Mercy changes coming out next week are almost directly based on feedback from the pro scene.

Yeah, this was exactly my problem with the changes haha.

Why would I watch/support a London team that has zero connections to London and no British players? I'm guessing they're hoping for Cloud9 supporters to follow them because I can't see anyone who doesn't play or watch Overwatch wanting to support this team just because they have the London name.

A lot of people will support them because of the London name, especially people not very familiar with esports. We don't know about their final OWL roster yet either so it's possible they could have British players on it. For example they have had MikeyA on their roster the past couple weeks and he played for the English World Cup team.

I don't know if the changes they made will have either of them be balanced in the short term, but it will be way better for the long term health of the game.

Yeah I stopped playing it a long time ago once they went full on the esports train.

Blizzard hasn't done anything for Overwatch yet that would suggest they were fully on the esports train. If anything they have pissed a lot of pro players off with their lack of commitment to the scene.

Sayad

I just checked twitch and Overwatch viewership is underwhelming. 1/10 the viewers of Lol and it's even behind Family Feud 2010 Edition lol

And that's mostly regular viewers watching their favorite streamers, when I used to watch competitive OW, it was getting less views than some of the bigger OW streamers too!

It's even worse, as they won't have any Cloud9 branding.
It's build totally from scratch...

First slide:
NBA teams are worth 2 billion

Second slide:
*picture of a full arena of people watching esports*

MONEY PLEASE!

Skii

Yeah I stopped playing it a long time ago once they went full on the esports train.

Lmfao

The game is in an absolute mess because they've spent the last 6 months catering to the casual experience which has driven so many pros away from OW. Blizzard up until this point have been shitting on the esport and pro scene.

bluehat9

Is this supposed to be on cable tv or just twitch? I'll probably just stick to watching hearthstone for the topdeck skillz anyway.

Blam

Lmfao

The game is in an absolute mess because they've spent the last 6 months catering to the casual experience which has driven so many pros away from OW. Blizzard up until this point have been shitting on the esport and pro scene.

Blizzard hasn't done anything for Overwatch yet that would suggest they were fully on the esports train. If anything they have pissed a lot of pro players off with their lack of commitment to the scene.

I mean I wouldn't know I think I started the game up once and then quit it 30 minutes later to play PUBG. I don't bother with it.

I only assume they are going full eSports with all their none game related choices, but if this is the case they are handling this game very poorly.

Literally every team paid $20 million to get in. It's been reported for every team.

I guess it just boggles my mind that somebody would fork over that much money for a scene with middling-at-best views in the west.

* PUBG Invitational had 400k viewers peak (avg. 200k) w.o Chinese numbers.

* Overwatch's peak was the World Cup 2016 with 233k viewers (avg. 77k) w.o Chinese numbers.

* Since then Overwatch tournaments are generally under 50k viewers outside of China in total for tournaments with 20-25h of streaming, the only exception being the 2017 qualifiers which peaked at a wholly unexceptional 122k (putting it about on par with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3). Overwatch Contenders, the lead-in to OWL, has average 15k and peak 30k.

https://esc.watch/tournaments/ow?order=avg

I guess it just boggles my mind that somebody would fork over that much money for a scene with middling-at-best views in the west.

* PUBG Invitational had 400k viewers peak (avg. 200k) w.o Chinese numbers.

* Overwatch's peak was the World Cup 2016 with 233k viewers (avg. 77k) w.o Chinese numbers.

* Since then Overwatch tournaments are generally under 50k viewers outside of China in total for tournaments with 20-25h of streaming, the only exception being the 2017 qualifiers which peaked at a wholly unexceptional 122k (putting it about on par with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3). Overwatch Contenders, the lead-in to OWL, has average 15k and peak 30k.

https://esc.watch/tournaments/ow?order=avg

This is all with no to very little advertising.
Every ow tournament outisde of contendors final and worldcup has no push from blizzard.

Blizzards advertising for games they do care about is a pannel on the bnet page and SOMETIMES a tweet.

The only time they consistentlt have tweeted and put out videos for an event is the world cup. This is mostly cause everything is currently a test run and they havent started fully pushing till what many people think will start at the beginning of OWL.

Numbers can improve with both proper incentives and actual exposer to the casual audience.

Like Rocket League is currently at 3.5k viewers but when the NARLCS is on that spikes to 60k and i saw more the finals.

In the end i like to think people investing have abit more knowledge than we do.

I mean I wouldn't know I think I started the game up once and then quit it 30 minutes later to play PUBG. I don't bother with it.

I only assume they are going full eSports with all their none game related choices, but if this is the case they are handling this game very poorly.

So u just made stuff up ayt

This is all with no to very little advertising.
Every ow tournament outisde of contendors final and worldcup has no push from blizzard.

Blizzards advertising for games they do care about is a pannel on the bnet page and SOMETIMES a tweet.

The only time they consistentlt have tweeted and put out videos for an event is the world cup. This is mostly cause everything is currently a test run and they havent started fully pushing till what many people think will start at the beginning of OWL.

Numbers can improve with both proper incentives and actual exposer to the casual audience.

Like Rocket League is currently at 3.5k viewers but when the NARLCS is on that spikes to 60k and i saw more the finals.

In the end i like to think people investing have abit more knowledge than we do.

Monthly Melees used to get a content 20k/30k viewers with no advertisement, Contenders averages 15k. World Cup 2017 has bleed out 100k viewers since 2016. The scene is pretty clearly in decline in the west.

Let's not forget that investors also backed things like that DRM Juicer, lol. Overwatch could be the next League, but it's looking more like the next Juicero at this point.

Top Bottom