• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

143 ppl arrested (inc. journalists) in 19th straight day of St. Louis BLM protests.

Lime

Police arrested 143 people after protesters blocked traffic on a busy highway near downtown St. Louis as part of the ongoing demonstrations against the acquittal of a white former police officer in the 2011 killing of a black man.

Protesters gathered Tuesday evening and marched to Interstate 64, where some walked onto the roadway and blocked traffic for several minutes. Police began arresting people after protesters left the highway.

Police haven't said what charges they will face. A spokeswoman for the Circuit Attorney's office said they likely will be charged in municipal court.

Authorities have made more than 300 arrests at demonstrations over the Sept. 15 acquittal of former officer Jason Stockley in the shooting death of 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith following a high-speed chase.

Protesters and civil liberties groups have accused the authorities of using heavy-handed tactics against demonstrators.

In a lawsuit filed after about 120 people were arrested Sept. 17, the American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri raised concerns about a police tactic known as "kettling," in which lines of officers move protesters into a limited area. The lawsuit also accused police of unnecessarily using of tear gas and pepper spray, arresting bystanders and journalist, and taunting some of those who were arrested.

Police have defended their actions, saying protesters threw rocks and other items at officers, sprayed some with unknown substances and shattered shop windows.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-protest-st-louis-highway-20171004-story.html

Nepenthe

Meanwhile, how many people were arrested in Charlottesville? Did they ever get all of the people who beat Deandre Harris? The Nazi who actually pulled out a gun on someone?

But are they protesting the right way?

I know you're being sarcastic but we are largely at the point where anything disruptive is illegal, so if you're protesting and not getting arrested you probably aren't doing anything meaningful to achieve your goals, you're just waving a little sign around.

Slayven

I know you're being sarcastic but we are largely at the point where anything disruptive is illegal, so if you're protesting and not getting arrested you probably aren't doing anything meaningful to achieve your goals, you're just waving a little sign around.

Just being black in Missouri is disruptive

Verelios

Crazy how proactive the popo is here. It's almost like they didn't just stand around as white supremacists went to town on innocents.

Abhor

When Nazis march with guns in-hand it's fine.

When others protest they must be as peaceful and non-disruptive as possible.

This country...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don’t watch the news here in St Louis but I literally haven’t heard anyone mention this at work. Nobody has really talked about the protests since the weekend after the judge’s decision came down.

Honestly thought the protests had ended

greyshark

I don’t watch the news here in St Louis but I literally haven’t heard anyone mention this at work. Nobody has really talked about the protests since the weekend after the judge’s decision came down.

Honestly thought the protests had ended

It was a big deal that day - 40 was closed in that area for like 2 hours.

Yurp.

If it wasn't for Shaun King, I'd literally hear nothing about this stuff.

Speaking of Shaun King, where did he come from and who is he? I started following him because a Facebook friend kept Liking his posts, and he's great, but I know almost nothing about him.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Speaking of Shaun King, where did he come from and who is he? I started following him because a Facebook friend kept Liking his posts, and he's great, but I know almost nothing about him.

He's one of the guys who popularized an influential segment of the BLM movement through his social writings and help in organizing. He's worked for New york daily news and now works for TYT.

Speaking of TYT, Jordan Chariton of TYT just recently got arrested just for covering these protests along with Ty Bayliss also of TYT. The police didn't actually give a reason for arresting them beyond having their cameras trained on the police in riot gear even though there wasn't even a riot and it was a fully peaceful protest

Maridia

He's one of the guys who popularized an influential segment of the BLM movement through his social writings and help in organizing. He's worked for New york post and now works for TYT.

Speaking of TYT, Jordan Chariton of TYT just recently got arrested just for covering these protests along with Ty Bayliss also of TYT. The police didn't actually give a reason for arresting them beyond having their cameras trained on the police in riot gear even though there wasn't even a riot and it was a fully peaceful protest

New York Daily News, not the Post, right?

I remember when Milo tried to discredit King saying he was lying about race, and that several people believed Milo over King

Anyway

Salamando

Why do American protestors block traffic ?

Its so stupid its just asking for someone to get run over.

The typical picketing level protest has been so overused that its lost all effect. Blocking traffic gets you attention, and carries a subtle message of "Oh, you're being inconvenienced for 30 minutes while people prevent you from living the life you want to live? Welcome to our lives"

Inuhanyou

there is no law against blocking traffic for a protest, especially in the st louis area they were protesting in.

Don't attack protesters for being out on the front lines

Jakeh111

I seen one happening just up the street from me on Hampton and Chippewa a bit ago.

Been to a couple myself. Shit even my mom, her wife and my sister been going to some. People are still fucking pissed.

✊✊

Inuhanyou

Pretty sure blocking an interstate without a permit is illegal.

even if that was true, arresting journalists covering the protest is illegal, yet they were expressly targeted just for covering the police crackdown

JSoup

Banned
Pretty sure blocking an interstate without a permit is illegal.

Wasn't there a protest a few months ago where people made a human chain across a freeway? Like, they tried to sue some lady who pushed her van through the line, but couldn't because they'd have to admit to blocking a freeway, which was a felony?

HOLY SHIT

THIS NEVER DIED?!!

I had no idea... yo the media has no coverage of this easily accessible from what I've seen and I've been tuned in

I'm woke now

phanphare

Banned
They even arrested a TYT Reporter.

EDIT: Oh, I see it was already mentioned.

corporate media like if we can't exploit minorities and further racist ass stereotypes to people who consume corporate curated news then we'll just ignore it

oh and don't try and cover it yourselves, the police will arrest you

neuralizer_large.jpg

The media is owned by the wealthy, the same class of people that have a vested interest in the criminalization and incarceration of minorities and the poors. Joe Sixpack isn't the one owning prison stock or lobbying for cheap convict labor.

rudger

Safety is a legitimate concern. I also just don’t think it is a compelling image as it has been done a lot and will just lose meaning the more it is used. Just look at posters here who had no idea this was still happening.

That being said, I wonder why they have never considered not protesting by standing in the street, but by parking in the street. Wrangling 100+ cars would be far more of a logistical nightmare, would be unique imagery, and would be imagery more directly related to a lot of these murders as many take place during traffic stops. Like a bulkier sit in.

Safety is a legitimate concern. I also just don’t think it is a compelling image as it has been done a lot and will just lose meaning the more it is used. Just look at posters here who had no idea this was still happening.

That being said, I wonder why they have never considered not protesting by standing in the street, but by parking in the street. Wrangling 100+ cars would be far more of a logistical nightmare, would be unique imagery, and would be imagery more directly related to a lot of these murders as many take place during traffic stops. Like a bulkier sit in.

That would be a damn good protest to get a bunch of bullshit junker cars and park em. You should get a star for that.

But with the US, not having a car in some places is straight up fatal to your lifestyle.

People can get arrested for a few hours and live.

If someone wants to run me over because they have road rage, that's their prerogative. They can go to jail. I'm willing to risk an angry driver to bring attention to a national tragedy. I'm willing to get run over to actually gain civil rights. A better question is what's wrong with our government and society that it has to come to a point where people are more than willing to put their lives in danger just to be listened to? Just to not only make people acknowledge a problem but actually take steps to fix it? What kind of country pushes its people to that point?

Top Bottom