• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films To See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurmer

Banned
Invictus was pretty damn disappointing. Politics felt to be pretty much ignored, and it doesn't delve at all into Mandella the man, but instead Mandella the rugby fan.

DanielPlainview already talked about some of the ridiculous scenes--
plane scene seriously made me facepalm
. There's another moment straight out of Varsity Blues at the end where a scrum in the match gets a 2 minute slow-mo treatment. Even the girl I was seeing it with leaned over to me and asked "is this really necessary?"

The answer is no, and that applies to a lot of things about the movie. Seriously, wtf Eastwood?

Finally got to see The White Ribbon last week. Like all Haneke's films, it keeps in your thoughts for days afterward. But unlike his other films, this is kind of, slightly, sentimental. I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse. I liked the uncompromising, intellectual Haneke, and this film seems to lack the raw power of something like The Piano Teacher. Don't get me wrong, it's a very fine film, just atypical Haneke.

Saw Up in the Air today and might catch Avatar later- I suspect Avatar will not come out favorably from the comparison.

Up in the Air was great though, with a moving performance from George Clooney. It nicely blended some comedic moments with the deeper and more serious drama, and nicely avoided the sorts of cliches you expect in these movies.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
creativity said:
Finally got to see The White Ribbon last week. Like all Haneke's films, it keeps in your thoughts for days afterward. But unlike his other films, this is kind of, slightly, sentimental. I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse. I liked the uncompromising, intellectual Haneke, and this film seems to lack the raw power of something like The Piano Teacher. Don't get me wrong, it's a very fine film, just atypical Haneke.

Those are pretty much my thoughts about White Ribbon too. It dawned on me though that this is really
how to make a monster
sort of story since most of the kids
are going to become nazis during WWII
. Also it didn't start feeling like Haneke until probably the 2nd hour into the film too. By god I love the Piano Teacher though. Top 5 of the decade for me.

bjork said:
Orphan is still MOTY though, unless I can catch Imaginarium before New Year's and it's as good as I want it to be. Tom Waits :)

Do I really need to see Orphan? I've had it on my Netflix queue for months.

harSon

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Do I really need to see Orphan? I've had it on my Netflix queue for months.

It's actually pretty good, I can't say that it deserves to be watched over the other items in your queue (considering I don't know what's in it!) but it's certainly worth a watch.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
harSon said:
It's actually pretty good, I can't say that it deserves to be watched over the other items in your queue (considering I don't know what's in it!) but it's certainly worth a watch.
Really? I didn't think The Orphan was worth the two hour time sink. The final 20 minutes were laughably ridiculous.

okno

Watched a screener of The Last Station a couple of weeks ago. Not really sure how I feel about the movie, but I´m leaning towards didn´t like it. Helen Mirren is phenomenal in it, but the whole thing feels like a really elaborate stage production and takes too long to get itself all sorted out (I was thoroughly confused during the first 30 minutes, but maybe that´s just me).

Can´t wait to see Nine and Broken Embraces this week. Speaking of Spanish-language films, everyone should do whatever it takes to see The Maid. Fantastic. It´s a chilean film, and oh so good.

AlternativeUlster

okno said:
Watched a screener of The Last Station a couple of weeks ago. Not really sure how I feel about the movie, but I´m leaning towards didn´t like it. Helen Mirren is phenomenal in it, but the whole thing feels like a really elaborate stage production and takes too long to get itself all sorted out (I was thoroughly confused during the first 30 minutes, but maybe that´s just me).

Can´t wait to see Nine and Broken Embraces this week. Speaking of Spanish-language films, everyone should do whatever it takes to see The Maid. Fantastic. It´s a chilean film, and oh so good.

Yeah, I think I am going to watch Mother and the Maid back to back either later tonight or tomorrow night.

Blader5489 said:
A couple friends of mine went to the screening tonight. They said it was good, not great.

Yep, totally agree. Just kinda shrugged when I walked out of the theater. I felt Guy Ritchie tried to include some of his special touches throughout the film, but due to the clunky script and push to make it mainstream it just fell into standard blockbuster territory. There are a few great parts, just doesn't add up...especially the supposed payoff.

AlternativeUlster

Yeah, it was a fun romp. Fine enough, sort of forgettable. I hate it though when in the credits they are like, "Let's relive your favorite moments of the film." I would give it ** /12 out of 5.

AlternativeUlster

I agree if Guy Ritchie was allowed to go overload, it would have been much better for I think his touches make it slightly better than if it was made by Brett Rattner or someone of that sort. I actually laughed at some of the twists like one where you go "Oh man him?" and then like a minute later go "Oh it was part of the plan." Really likeable characters all around.

G_Berry

Banned
Watching band of brothers (again) on blu ray.

Also watch Sunshine if you haven't seen it, epic film with an epic soundtrack. <3 Sunshine.

Blader

AlternativeUlster said:
I agree if Guy Ritchie was allowed to go overload, it would have been much better for I think his touches make it slightly better than if it was made by Brett Rattner or someone of that sort. I actually laughed at some of the twists like one where you go "Oh man him?" and then like a minute later go "Oh it was part of the plan." Really likeable characters all around.

That reminds me, wasn't there an article earlier this year about how producers thought some parts of the movie were too ridiculous and told Ritche to reshoot them?

and I don't know how someone could waste the beautiful Rachel McAdams, but they succeed in this film.

Rachel-McAdams.gif

how?

AlternativeUlster

I guess I would rewatch a director's cut if it ever happens. Fuck, I rewatched the Watchmen for the director's cut even though I fucking hated that film the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom