• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 y/o teen shot dead by police in Arkansas while carrying a BB gun

Royce McCutcheon

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article164040442.html

Arkansas police officers fatally shot a 16-year-old boy in front of juvenile emergency shelter, but it’s not clear why.

Fox News reported that two officers responded to a call Tuesday night at East Arkansas Youth Services in Marion Arkansas, which is a Department of Human Services facility. Within “moments” of arriving, Aries Clark was shot. He died overnight in a Memphis hospital.

“I never expected not to see my son again. I had saw him that Thursday, and we were trying to figure out how we were going to do therapy to get help for him," Clark's mother Vicky Clark told WMC News.

The Marion, Arkansas, police department didn’t reveal any details about why officers were called to the shelter and whether or not Aries Clark was armed when he was shot, but his cousin, Chris Clark, told reporters that “he held a BB gun in the air, and they just took him down on sight,” Fox13 Memphis reported.

WMC News reported that doctors told Clark’s parents that he was shot in the back and the back of the head.

Two officers were put on paid leave, which is standard procedure, while the shooting is being investigated, according to KATV. The police department declined to release the names of the officers involved, but said they weren’t harmed. It’s also unclear if there was body cam footage.

Vicky Clark told WMC News her child was having behavioral issues at West Memphis High School, and the family was seeking therapy options for Clark, which is why he ended up at the center.

The teenager's father, who wasn’t explicitly identified, told WMC News, "he was just being unruly. He ran away from home twice, so we needed help with him. We just went from needing some help to the next thing we know he's dead."

East Arkansas Youth Services’ website says the facility “is a community based, private, non-profit organization that provides positive alternatives to institutionalization for children who are involved or at risk of becoming involved with the juvenile justice system.”

In a Facebook post, the center declined to comment on the specifics of the incident but said none of the staff were harmed. Mental health services were also provided to residents and employees due to the “traumatic nature” of the shooting.

“We also request your prayers for our operations and specifically for all individuals and entities involved in this incident. In turn we also offer our sincere prayers for all affected by this event,” the post read.

According to a police shooting tracker by the Washington Post, 568 people have been killed by police officers this year. Six people have been killed in Arkansas alone.

There have been other incidents in recent years of police officers fatally shooting black children with BB guns.

In San Diego in May, a 15-year-old was shot after he reportedly pointed a BB gun at officers. One of the more high profile incidents occurred in 2014 when a Cleveland police officer fatally shot 12-year-old Tamir Rice, who was holding a pellet gun. The officer was fired in May.

And in Columbus, Ohio, police fatally shot 13 year-old Tyrie King, who was later found to be holding a BB gun.

Remember, being black and having a mental illness is a crime punishable by death. Let the cops be the last resort. Call an ambulance first damn it. Arrest me if old.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
According to a police shooting tracker by the Washington Post, 568 people have been killed by police officers this year.

Dang.

e: Actually number is wrong, or at least has risen since the article was written.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

y76iU2R.png

Interesting site though. Not sure of the data accuracy but the filters are useful.

I remember seeing an article where a police officer in Iceland APOLOGIZED to the family of a crazed violent man that was shot dead by police. It was so rare even justified shootings warranted an apology.

Meanwhile here the Arkansas PD that is responsible will hold a press conference that denounces and degrades the mentally ill child they murdered.

Like how did they not fucking know, he was IN FRONT OF AN EMERGENCY CENTER.

Impossible they didn't know, this was a fucking lynching.

Demoskinos

Its real fucked up that parents of non-white children have to have conversations with their kids these days about how not to get shot by the police. The fact that these idiots just showed up like a bunch of cowboys ready to shoot up a saloon speaks volumes to how heartless they are.

Lethal force should be the absolute last option on the table to resolve a problem. Cops are just fucking paranoid assholes. I can understand being cautious but going straight to lethal force? Get the fuck out of here. That's fucking bush-league shit right there.

The teenager's father, who wasn’t explicitly identified, told WMC News, "he was just being unruly. He ran away from home twice, so we needed help with him. We just went from needing some help to the next thing we know he's dead."

This is so immensely fucked up. No family should have to go through this, yet this is seemingly the new normal.

Now we wait for the internal investigation to conclude that the officers were justified in shooting a mentally ill black kid in the back of the head for the capital offense of holding a fucking BB gun.

Zertez

Critten County is a shady place. Impossible to say if it was a justified shooting with the little facts available. Cops in this area have been on edge before even the WM3.

Shoot perfectly in the back of someone's head? No problem. Shoot in the leg to disable? Impossible.

That's a hard fucking shot to hit. Risk missing and having the perp be able to shoot you back? No, aim for center mass to have the best possible chance of hitting and incapacitating the suspect so he can't shoot you back. This is why they teach cops to aim for center mass.

I honestly believe that cops kill people like this so they can brag & celebrate it later with their cop & cop loving friends. I'm 100% sure of it.

RIP Aries.

Fuck the police.

cdyhybrid

Shot in the back of the head eh? Can't wait for the bullshit "I feared for my life so I shot him in the back of the head" story. It'll probably work too.

So your first reaction is just "open fire" immediately in front of an emergency shelter for CHILDREN?

Nah, don't defend these fucking monsters.

We don't know they did this. They could have said "police drop the gun" and he didn't so they shot him. I doubt they opened for immediately on sight but obviously I don't know because apparently there was no body can footage which is despicable. All cops should have body cams and be required to have them running at all times

Malyse

We don't know they did this. They could have said "police drop the gun" and he didn't so they shot him. I doubt they opened for immediately on sight but obviously I don't know because apparently there was no body can footage which is despicable. All cops should have body cams and be required to have them running at all times
They shot him in the back of the head.

I knew that this was more than likely going to be about a black teen. : (

And to the back of the head? Damn. If you are able to shoot someone in the back of the head there are other options available to you.

Demoskinos

Except there are patterns we can follow here. White folks do irresponsible/dangerous shit and live way more often than non-white people do in the same exact situations.

UberTag

Worst thing you can do nowadays is call the police when dealing with the mentally ill.
Worst thing you can do nowadays is call the police when dealing with just about anything.
Although you're doubly fucked if it has to do with the mentally ill.

Beefy

Yeah fuck that one guy that says let's wait for more information to pop up before we make a rash judgement and call the police officers murderers.

Back of the head? As in the kid was turned away from the cop. As in not facing him. But not a murderer tho....

AFAIK holding a gun isn't punishable by the death penalty, so it being dark outside has little relevance. They obviously didn't wait for him to be any real threat if he was shot from behind.

I knew he was black before entering the thread. Fucking disgusting, but not surprising. Smdh

olag

Yeah fuck that one guy that says let's wait for more information to pop up before we make a rash judgement and call the police officers murderers.

Fool me once shame on you.....
Fool me twice, shame on me.....
Fool me over a hundred times , well lets just wait for all the facts before making some rash decisions.

Except there are patterns we can follow here. White folks do irresponsible/dangerous shit and live way more often than non-white people do in the same exact situations.

Oh man, fun story time.

So in high school in bumble fuck nowhere I had this one rich as SHIT white friend, and he was super into airsoft which was just starting to be a thing. So, he invites me out to a party one day where he and a bunch of other dudes were waging like a "fake war" or whatever. So hey, I'll tag along, they hand me a little dinky pistol thing, we spend the day playing capture the flag a shooting at each other, wearing fake super-realistic body armor, shit like that.

And this being rural buttfuck nowhere, we wander a little too much, get lost, and all end up walking in staggered groups on the main town road back to this dudes house. I'm with the largest group, all white but me, and they have these gigantic, super realistic looking guns, handguns, shotguns, assault rifles, the works. And we're dressed like the worlds most kitted out school shooters.

Surprise, cop pulls up, my hands SHOOT into the fucking air as I back as far away from the road as possible so I'm damn near in the drainage ditch. And he just casually pulls over, looks the kids over, and makes casual conversation with them before he even realized or asked if they were real guns or not.

After dude drove away I looked at my friends and was just in awe, like, if I had walked back on my own instead of with them I would be fucking DEAD and they just had a nice chat and he drove away.

Always stuck with me.

y76iU2R.png

Top Bottom