• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1986 Transformers the Movie fan "recut" with storyboards and written dialogue

I can understand where some people are coming from, but unfortunately... I was shown Horror Movies when I was fucking YOUNG, so by the time this movie came out, I was somewhat desensitized to the violence in it along with a lot of other shit. I saw Hellraiser II when I was 7, FWIW. Made me want to learn more about the human anatomy, lol...

Wow, my mom was very much involved in what I watched and freaked at certain things. I remember she had heard things about Dungeons and Dragons on the news and even though at the time I had no clue what she was talking about I was frustrated that I could not mention the cartoon. The good was that since that particular cartoon kept bouncing around in its airings if I didn't tell her what it was when it did air she wouldn't say anything.

I remember her freaking when I told her about Ghosts N Goblins that I played at a friend's house a year or so before I got an NES because the game called one of the enemies satan. Even as a kid I couldn't get why she acted like that since I was playing the hero wielding a shield with the cross to slay him. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Still, my aunt was the opposite of that, though I wish she would have been a bit better than letting me watch Terminator one night. Had nightmares not a few hours later.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
God I remember seeing this in the theatres and 80% of the kids in attendance bawling their eyes out when Optimus died. Such a great movie and shocking moment as well. I remember there being so much animosity towards Hot Rod afterwards and the show just felt different trying to push him ahead as the leader. It did make for a really cool episode afterwards with Optimus returning and eventually dying like the Terminator as he went crashing towards the sun as well. Ahhh the memories man. The movie was a great advert for the next line of toys coming out though which some were pretty cool. Same with the GI Joe movie, those shows had me hooked as a kid
I really liked Hotrod. I understood he made a mistake and all that and him becoming a prime was his coming of age redemption arc etc (at the young age I was when I saw it I got it because I was that kid who kept messing up. So it resonated with me. Though I Never got a beloved leader killed so those is that) so from a getting a character aimed at young people. It got the mark. I guess when I was a kid it was why Luke was my fave character but as I got older it turned into Han.

Optimus is always the OG and much beloved.

It’s also dare I say it. Why Jar Jar worked. For us adult we were like wtf ? But for young audience members they really loved him. Stupid cancel culture.

But going back to transformers I still think they missed the mark with Wheelie. Screw that guy lol. Can’t convince me he was any good. Grimlock is better comic relief than him.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Even back in the day when Transformers was on prime-time after-school hours, I still preffered the animation, story, and mechs from Robotech (Macross\Southern Cross\MOSPEDA) but back then anime wasn't exactly the most accessible thing in the states. My favorite Transformers toy was probably Jetfire which was basically Hikaru's veritech with an Autobot sticker slapped on it. It was hilariously confusing as a kid when Jetfire didn't look remotely like the toy in the show probably due to licensing stuff.

Even back in the day when Transformers was on prime-time after-school hours, I still preffered the animation, story, and mechs from Robotech (Macross\Southern Cross\MOSPEDA) but back then anime wasn't exactly the most accessible thing in the states. My favorite Transformers toy was probably Jetfire which was basically Hikaru's veritech with an Autobot sticker slapped on it. It was hilariously confusing as a kid when Jetfire didn't look remotely like the toy in the show probably due to licensing stuff.
God I use to go nuts for Robotech heck any anime series back in that era. It's a shame how rare it was for us and it probably would've turned a lot of kids off of Transformers and GI Joe if access to those shows were readily available

Valonquar

Anyone got $4500 for an Optimus Prime statue?
mmtfm-36ut_cropped_2.jpg

This thing is 3 feet tall.

QSD

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Ironing out inconsistencies in a nearly 40 year old children's movie is a weird way to spend ones time.

Ironing out inconsistencies in a nearly 40 year old children's movie is a weird way to spend ones time.

But not unappreciated.

Among other things in the movie I always wondered why Arcee was the last to reach the shuttle and the cut scene shows her nearly getting offed by Scourge and falling behind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I still havent watched all of the movie. I saw bits of it. I've seen the early part where the decepticons hijack the ship and kill a bunch of autobots but thats all I remember.

But it was their way of moving on to new toys and characters.

GIJOE the movie did it different. Even though I never knew it was edited with Duke surviving until the internet age, the movie introduced a bunch of characters, but didn't kill off any (I think).

Edit: I forgot they killed off a few bad guys down the pit at the end of the movie. The winged dude and the female evil doer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom