• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread: Updated 1/4

Althoran

I think Red Dead Redemption will get most of them. Super Mario Galaxy 2 will get some but since it's on Wii it won't get most of them.
Starcraft 2 will be ignored because it is on PC.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
HK-47 said:
It used that same old boring gravity and spherical worlds gimmick. Its pretty much just a complete rehash with minimal effort put in.
How many stars did you get?

apana

DevelopmentArrested said:
Did you play it? Backlash on this was epic.

I haven't played it but it will probably be the second game I play when I buy a PS3, after The Last Guardian. This game looked incredible and God of War 2 was one of my favorite games of last gen so I just assumed it would be a major contender. Didn't realize about backlash.

Concept17

So far I only want to see Starcraft2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood winning GOTY. Pretty underwhelming year overall. Sadly I think we'll see RDR win the most. The game had a great presentation/setting, but outside of that its nothing spectacular, and there were certainly better games to be released this year.

linsivvi

apana said:
What about God of War 3? That was very hyped coming into 2010.

The game is very pretty to look at, and the combat system has somewhat improved. Other than that there's little improvement over previous games, all the game has going for it already existed in previous games, while all the bad design choices are still there. Forcing you to watch an unskipable cutscene that shows you the exit every time you enter a new room alone makes the game a very frustrating experience, especially on subsequent playthrus. The lazy quick-time events are still there in their full glory.

It's a great game to spend a weekend on, but the best the industry has to offer for the year? I don't think so.

Raxus

Bayonetta, SMG, and RDR.

All three highlights of my year and all three earned the reward. Can't wait to see the rest.

seady

As a person that never really into GTA, I deeply adore Red Dead Redemption.

There are just so much more to do in the environments with higher level of attachment to the players (like attached to your own horse that won't be exploded like a car 5 mins after you get it, for example), and it also get rid of all the nuisances of dodging cars and polices - which was more of a chore than fun in GTA.

Red Dead Redemption can fuck right off. One of the most boring games I've played in a while.

This year it belongs to Galaxy 2. Not RDR, not Bayonetta, and not Mass Effect 2, but Galaxy 2.

My GOTY picks never get nominated :(

For instance, last year, my pick was Castlevania Order of Eclessia. This year, my pick Is Pokemon Soul Silver (though in my heart of hearts I know Starcraft 2 probably deserves more)

These media picks are always about which titles the people working at these outlets think "push gaming forward" in the direction they like or have the biggest impact, not which game was actually the best. Also, the genres and platforms nominated are heavily biased by platform (I.e. Mostly HD consoles - handhelds, Wii and PC hardly get a look in)

Wiseblade

It's a real shame that SMG2 is going to get overlooked by multiplatform press, and probably isn't even going to win every "Best Wii Game" or "Best Platformer" category. The game could do with a second wave of exposure (although it's probably a little too late now)...

viciouskillersquirrel said:
My GOTY picks never get nominated :(

For instance, last year, my pick was Castlevania Order of Eclessia.

My GOTY picks never get nominated, either.

For instance, this year, my pick is Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

FStop7

Banned
RDR is the only game I played this year that stirred an emotional response from me. The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed nearly made me cry.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never gonna see Resonance of Fate or Sin and Punishment 2 voted unfortunately. :( Bayonetta is a nice surprise though, loved the game when I played through, easily the best 'stylish action game' ever made. Galaxy 2 I was honestly a bit disappointed by... some of the new powerups were a pain in the ass to use (especially Rock Mario), and the green star hunt was awkward at best (especially the ones just floating in the sky, making it really hard to judge in 3D space where you were relative to the star). There were some spectacular levels, but I didn't find it to be as polished or breathtaking as Galaxy 1.

Red Dead Redemption is like my Bioshock of the year - a game that everybody raves and raves about yet I have no interest in playing whatsoever.

BowieZ

Banned
Put me down for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

It's basically New Super Mario World without the Mario. And it's fucking glorious.

These media picks are always about which titles the people working at these outlets think "push gaming forward" in the direction they like or have the biggest impact, not which game was actually the best. Also, the genres and platforms nominated are heavily biased by platform (I.e. Mostly HD consoles - handhelds, Wii and PC hardly get a look in)

The Oscars get caught up in stuff like this many times. It's not always technical superiority, but rather emotional attachment.

I thought of that in the Bonus Round episode where Shane was wondering how Galaxy 2, which had 97% Metacritic, wasn't a GOTY nominee at the VGAs. A game can be universally appreciated, but it's the ones that have the deepest emotional grab for the most amount of people that will more than likely win awards like that. This happens with the movies almost all the time.

That's why I'm guessing that RDR wins this category going away. I think it's different enough and had enough of an emotional grab that it will win people over.

Orgen

I haven't played RDR and Donkey Kong Returns, but right now my top 3 would be:

1.- Super Mario Galaxy 2
2.- Bayonetta
3.- Vanquish

Biff

I'd much rather SMG2 get it over RDR or Bayonetta.

I own both RDR and Bayonetta, and was disappointed. Bayonetta, while fun, was a disgrace to PS3 owners. Platinum should not be rewarded for such a poor effort. The only company to reach that level of port imbalance is Treyarch, but that can be saved for another post as that name shouldn't be mentioned anywhere near a GOTY thread.

RDR was quite boring. GTA in the wild west, except without the fun of.. You know.. GTA. Online party mode and the draw showdown mechanic was cool but nowhere near GOTY-worthy.

My pick is Starcraft II. I never got into SC1, which is why I'm so impressed how much this game has hooked me. Insane amount of polish without a Crysis Approved™ rig needed to have the same great experience as the next guy.

Add Battlenet 2.0, constant patching, custom game creation tools, challenging single player, huge community presence (just check out Youtube's most watched gaming videos for the past 4 months :p) and you have an amazing game worth faaaaaar more than the $60 MSRP. And isn't that what GOTY is really about?

Wiseblade

BowieZ said:

It's basically New Super Mario World without the Mario. And it's fucking glorious.
Yeah, but SMG2 is basically SMB3 in 3, so it wins.

Leatherface

I have to do a top 5 because this is too hard for me this year. In order of awesome:

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. GOW 3

5. Puzzle Quest 2
:D

Leatherface

BowieZ said:

Orly? Also, I didn't realize Retro was the Dev. I guess I'm out of the loop with my Wii. I'm on board now tho. :D

randomkid

Cheesemeister said:
The voting thread should be posted around Christmas. I'll be handling automated parsing of everyone's votes, and timetokill will MC.

Wait wait wait, does this mean the thread will have the same terrible unwieldy voting system from last year? If so, someone needs to volunteer to do a more typical GOTY thread ahead of time. I remember timetokill was very polite but his preferred voting system was just awful, and I don't even vote! I just like reading people's ballots.

Fredescu

After the feedback from last year I'd be pretty surprised if he sticks with the same system. Discouraging a top ten wasn't a popular decision.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gomu Gomu said:
Oh boy, this year's GAF GOTY thread is going to be interesting. So many good games from so many different developers. I honestly can't predict which game will win this year. Not like previous years, where the winner was pretty obvious.

GAF is going to pick Galaxy 2. I have absolutely no doubts about that.

ZealousD said:
GAF is going to pick Galaxy 2. I have absolutely no doubts about that.

I think more people said RDR was their GOTY or game of May or something in a thread about one of those a while back. Also, RDR's thread is much bigger than SMG2's. The former might win out just based on how many people played it.

seady

Mass Effect 2 is great and I love the game, but the story feels waaaaay too much like a gap filler in a trilogy. It's screaming "I am here to prepare for Mass Effect 3".

If I am one of the media, I will wait for ME3 to give it GOTY. Kind of like how the Oscar waited until Lord of the Ring: Return of the King to give it Best Picture.

Skiptastic said:
The Oscars get caught up in stuff like this many times. It's not always technical superiority, but rather emotional attachment.

I thought of that in the Bonus Round episode where Shane was wondering how Galaxy 2, which had 97% Metacritic, wasn't a GOTY nominee at the VGAs. A game can be universally appreciated, but it's the ones that have the deepest emotional grab for the most amount of people that will more than likely win awards like that. This happens with the movies almost all the time.

That's why I'm guessing that RDR wins this category going away. I think it's different enough and had enough of an emotional grab that it will win people over.
I haven't played SMG2, so I'm only guessing here, but I think that maybe the reason it wasn't nominated in spite of such high ratings is the same reason movies like The Incredibles, The Matrix and The Hangover never get nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars - genre snobbery.

The Academy Awards were set up partly as a way of promoting and rewarding film makers who did work that could make film be taken seriously as an art form. It seems stupid to think that film isn't an art form today, but back when it was just a fledgeling industry, the opinion among serious cultural afficionados was that film was a throwaway form of entertainment - cheap, lurid, flashy thrills for the ignorant masses. They compared film to music and theatre and saw in it a cheap imitation of art, mass-produced and divorced from the artist.

That led the Academy to nominate only the films they felt promoted the medium as a serious art form and be suspicious of spectacle and novelty. The year Citizen Kane released (one of the first films to really experiment with camera/editing techniques - it was like the Matrix of its day), they gave it to a movie nobody remembers these days - How Green was my Valley. Citizen Kane was the better, more influential movie. It just didn't fit with the Academy's vision for the future of film.

The result is that the movies that get nominated for Best Picture are nearly always tragedies, redemption stories, romances, biopics, historical dramas, coming of age stories and war films - Oscar bait, in other words. Comedies, sci-fi and animated films need not apply.

Likewise, the gaming media has a self-important idea of what they want gaming to be. They want it to be taken seriously. They look at something like Mario - a cutesy platformer featuring a moustachioed Italian plumber having adventures in a whimsical magic kingdom and dismiss it immediately because at no point does Mario vow revenge upon the enemies that took his wife, nor is Peach use her sexuality in order to (I dunno) triumph over her enemies, nor does Bowser have a chequered and complicated past marked by tragedy. It's just not gritty. It's just not "mature". In an age wherein the gaming press is obsessed with proving to the world that games are not just for kids, it doesn't fit into the prevailing paradigm.

NIN90

I haven't played SMG2, so I'm only guessing here, but I think that maybe the reason it wasn't nominated in spite of such high ratings is the same reason movies like The Incredibles, The Matrix and The Hangover never get nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars - genre snobbery.

The Academy Awards were set up partly as a way of promoting and rewarding film makers who did work that could make film be taken seriously as an art form. It seems stupid to think that film isn't an art form today, but back when it was just a fledgeling industry, the opinion among serious cultural afficionados was that film was a throwaway form of entertainment - cheap, lurid, flashy thrills for the ignorant masses. They compared film to music and theatre and saw in it a cheap imitation of art, mass-produced and divorced from the artist.

That led the Academy to nominate only the films they felt promoted the medium as a serious art form and be suspicious of spectacle and novelty. The year Citizen Kane released (one of the first films to really experiment with camera/editing techniques - it was like the Matrix of its day), they gave it to a movie nobody remembers these days - How Green was my Valley. Citizen Kane was the better, more influential movie. It just didn't fit with the Academy's vision for the future of film.

The result is that the movies that get nominated for Best Picture are nearly always tragedies, redemption stories, romances, biopics, historical dramas, coming of age stories and war films - Oscar bait, in other words. Comedies, sci-fi and animated films need not apply.

Likewise, the gaming media has a self-important idea of what they want gaming to be. They want it to be taken seriously. They look at something like Mario - a cutesy platformer featuring a moustachioed Italian plumber having adventures in a whimsical magic kingdom and dismiss it immediately because at no point does Mario vow revenge upon the enemies that took his wife, nor is Peach use her sexuality in order to (I dunno) triumph over her enemies, nor does Bowser have a chequered and complicated past marked by tragedy. It's just not gritty. It's just not "mature". In an age wherein the gaming press is obsessed with proving to the world that games are not just for kids, it doesn't fit into the prevailing paradigm.

Didn't SMG1 win a shit ton of GOTY awards?

Fredescu

NIN90 said:
Didn't SMG1 win a shit ton of GOTY awards?
Not as many as Bioshock, which I think supports VKS' argument. Click the 2007 link in the OP to have a look. It's also funny that every nominee for the Spike VGAs was a sequel, so we can hardly say that SMG2 wasn't there because SMG1 also exists.

Top Bottom