• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Alasfree

I cound't find a way to disable the weapon models, so i tried to make this sorta action "safari screenshots".
1680x1050 4x MSAA, going back i should have used 8x but oh well.
The game still hold up in some way, especially at sunrise\sunset it's very beatiful, might be the best looking sun in games really.

ibuMYHWOhMtnwf.png

iUMP2meBmvMo7.png

BONKERS

That's weird I tried 4k in DayZ and it actually blurs a bit? Looks like I'm too used to nvidia downsampling trick.

dayz_2013_12_22_12_18zej3d.png

Doesn't really look blurry at all.
Alas, it is not meant to be. Oh, well. Guess I'll wait till I get a 4K screen and Downsample from 8K. FML, amirite?

Also, is it just me, or is the shininess of 4K losing way to the fact that I can still see jaggies!? It's like a song I thought was the shit becoming just awesome. Future, I need you!

Also it's really late/early. Gonna sleep.

11510905076_5c1d294b71_o.png

Nvidia's downsampling filter isn't the best. (Mr.Lottes said he was trying to improve it before he ended up leaving Nvidia) Plus, 2x2 OGSSAA even +FXAA still isn't enough to get all of the aliasing in a game like FFXIV. (Or any game with heavy specular aliasing really.)

And FFXIV to begin with has a lot of negative LOD on textures which causes shimmering,moire,etc. To really conquer that kind of aliasing you need the horsepower to use at least 4xSGSSAA at a decent resolution. OGSSAA still even really can't hold a candle to SGSSAA in motion in many games

1080p 4xSGSSAA looks pretty good in FFXIV, 8xSGSSAA looks basically perfect but performance hit is brutal. On my 570, I can get only a few frames a second with 8xSGSSAA in FFXIV

I can get 6K (5760x3240) on my 1080p TV via DVI-HDMI converter.

0_e1b29_48d14297_orig

0_e1b24_aea46fcd_orig

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002CZHN6/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Like this??

One3rd

Anyone have any insight on tiledshot?
I installed Alice 2 yesterday, grabbed the keybindings from the compendium post, everything seems to work okay, fov changes, ghost etc work just fine.
But I can't get tiledshot to function properly. Well, it looks like it works, the game freezes for some seconds which I assume is because it's saving the shot. But the shot is nowhere to be found. :\

It did create a "My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\ScreenShots" folder, but it just remains empty. I'm kind of clueless as to what the problem is exactly.
Sorry, I should edit that list of bindings. Tiledshot does not work in Alice unfortunately, that bind was left in there from the default ones I try in every UE3 game.

I found that SoftTH + LookingGlass provided the means for a bullshot resolution of 6400x3600 that could be selected once a scene was setup. I was getting about 10-20 FPS on my 560Ti will the in-game AA (FXAA?) disabled completely and SMAA injected using SweetFX. For some reason the in-game FXAA completely tanked my framerate...and didn't seem to work that well either, much better IQ with downsamping + SMAA.

Parsnip

Sorry, I should edit that list of bindings. Tiledshot does not work in Alice unfortunately, that bind was left in there from the default ones I try in every UE3 game.

I found that SoftTH + LookingGlass provided the means for a bullshot resolution of 6400x3600 that could be selected once a scene was setup. I was getting about 10-20 FPS on my 560Ti will the in-game AA (FXAA?) disabled completely and SMAA injected using SweetFX. For some reason the in-game FXAA completely tanked my framerate...and didn't seem to work that well either, much better IQ with downsamping + SMAA.

Ah, thanks. Gotta look into that SoftTH + LookingGlass method.

This is probably the wrong thread, but:
Will I see that much difference with a 1440p monitor instead of a 1080p one? Do you still need antialiasing on a 27" or is it playable without it?

Wanny

Will I see that much difference with a 1440p monitor instead of a 1080p one? Do you still need antialiasing on a 27" or is it playable without it?

Well, the more resolution you have, the more SMAA is effective. So high res + lightweight SMAA is winner for me these days.

The higher your resolution, the less anti-aliasing you need. However, 2560x1440 is definitely not enough to make AA obsolete. But that resolution on a 27" screen is friggin beautiful. I'm in love with mine.

Also, a few screenshots. 5120x2880 is so darn good looking in motion. It's making me wish I had a few thousand to drop on the GPU power right now...

11531380514_44c4f12fb7_o.jpg

11531449943_096b176062_o.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
41 screenshots in JPG format on page 178 (I use 100 posts/page). Seems a bit much, especially considering the thread title.

Edit: Add 4 before my post.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rösti;94683136 said:
41 screenshots in JPG format on page 178 (I use 100 posts/page). Seems a bit much, especially considering the thread title.

Edit: Add 4 before my post.

The regulars in the thread know what they are doing when saving as jpeg. They are fine. The average new person entering the thread doesn't. No one wants to see baby's first jpeg.

Durante

I guess people in this thread are the ones most interested in this, so here are two screenshots (sorry for the low res ;)):
ss_2013-12-24_20-32-4ocuwn.png

ss_2013-12-24_20-44-08vui1.png

And here's the download.

I think it's a neat tool for IQ enthusiasts. It really shows how (and in which use cases) exactly supersamples are better than multisamples, why SGSSAA is better than OGSSAA/downsampling (with the same sample count), how SMAA is better than FXAA and why moderate downsampling with SMAA injection is a pretty good solution if the game doesn't offer good native AA support.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So PNG>JPG pretty much, heck I only use PNG for my screens, even console ones.

The take away is basically that a maximum quality JPEG has a nearly indistinguishable visual difference from a lossless PNG but at half the file size.

If you're looking hard you can find differences but for the sake of sharing images in threads, it's good enough.

It's always a good idea to keep the original PNG's for archival purposes, but you should convert to max quality JPEGs for the sake of sharing.

I guess people in this thread are the ones most interested in this, so here are two screenshots (sorry for the low res ;)):

And here's the download.

I think it's a neat tool for IQ enthusiasts. It really shows how (and in which use cases) exactly supersamples are better than multisamples, why SGSSAA is better than OGSSAA/downsampling (with the same sample count), how SMAA is better than FXAA and why moderate downsampling with SMAA injection is a pretty good solution if the game doesn't offer good native AA support.

This is really cool, I'll check it out.

You made that?

Edit: If you haven't, it would probably be worthwhile to share it with the DeadEndThrills group on Flickr.

omaroni

And here's the download.

Very nice tool, when someone asks which method produces best result point them to this.

And here's the download.

You are a gorgeous human being.

BONKERS

Queue Rabid fanboys. But seriously, I am a big fan of CM.(Not the models though. Just everything else.). It's the only way I was ever really to get into Half-Life and make it more relateable and palatable. Which also caused me to renew my interest in HL1 which I had hated for nearly 10+ years.

Thanks to it i've now played it multiple times vanilla and CM. Heck you know, CM isn't all that different than Black Mesa,which imo changes a lot of things along the line of CM into a remake of HL1. (Like the soundtrack)But no one bitches about it just because they don't have crazy stupid looking character models. Which is what people seem to had most issue with CM. (Which were entirely optional to begin with)

*Warning Wall of Text below*
Well, the more resolution you have, the more SMAA is effective. So high res + lightweight SMAA is winner for me these days.

I tend to disagree with this. While it does work somewhat better, it's not significantly so like FXAA (Which , the higher resolution the less blurring and better AA Coverage). And still neither is really a replacement for proper good hardware AA like MSAA+SGSSAA.

My suggestion is to simply get a more powerful GPU capable of playing games with SGSSAA+Downsampling to 1080p. Or Get a 1440p display and a better GPU and downsample+SGSSA to that.
Is it less blurry with higher resolutions? Because I really prefer to have no antialiasing than get image blur (FXAA and TXAA I'm looking at you).

SMAA doesn't really blur the image. But SMAA 1x doesn't really work all that well either for the performance hit. (It's no secret that I really dislike SMAA 1x pretty much altogether and find that FXAA at very high resolutions+downsampling tends to work better for me. Sometimes you can combine them both too and it works decently. But also SMAA can come with it's own issues a lot of times. Like edge and text flickering that didn't exist without SMAA 1x on top. An issue FXAA doesn't have)

The above AA testing utility is a decent reference point. (Though it would probably help a bit more if you could run the utility at your monitor's native resolution.)

Here's a video comparison I did earlier this year showing 1280x720 native with Dead Island VS 1280x720 with 8xSGSSAA.
https://mega.co.nz/#!7dxwjABA!BLTApxmLyD9Z1KPyvFbylEujhsRNjrPBZy97KI7TOrU Do note that Dead Island is a worst case Scenario. And SGSSAA results improve with resolution. This is at 720p

(Don't knock me on "Temporally Stable" part either because that's a dicussion i've already had with enough people who only believe that to mean temporal reprojection. Which it does *Not*. though there are several methods that do use Temporal Reprojection such SMAA T2x, the Post-AA method in Crysis 2,etc. Temporal Stability is the stability of the image over a period of time. When you have flickering, shimmering, crawling and moire all going on in motion over time. This is not the behavior that is desired or believably realistic. It's Temporal Aliasing. Ref; "designed specifically to reduce temporal aliasing (crawling and flickering seen in motion when playing games)" http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/txaa/technology )

Also: Ultra sharpness =/= good IQ. Look at The Witcher 3, they are showing it off with ugly as fuck sharpening that totally ruins IQ. And besides, with TXAA add in downsampling and some *very* minor sharpening and it does wonders.

And really, neither TXAA nor SMAA 4x can conquer some shader and specular aliasing. Which are some of the biggest issues. Just look at both in Crysis 3 which suffers horrible Specular aliasing (A problem the Cry-Engine has always had.). Neither one of the above do really anything for it. It's something only SGSSAA can handle well, only problem is Nvidia really doesn't have any support built into the driver for AA with DX11.

A lot of us have been trying to get them to do it like their DX9 support for over 5 months now. It's certainly a selling point for many of us and personally is the only reason why I won't buy an AMD card. They said initially that they would look into it and it is a stickied thread.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/

Parsnip

And here's couple action shots.
Also, the sound effect that the pepper gun makes... it's so good.

For some reason Alice 2 added few pixels worth of black border on top and bottom of the images, cropped those out before downsampling.
Also decided to go with max quality jpgs from now on.

alicemadnessreturns_exe_2013_12_24_21_16_42_30_by_majorparsnip-d6zbiqq.jpg

alicemadnessreturns_exe_2013_12_24_21_40_49_30_by_majorparsnip-d6zbiq9.jpg

Top Bottom