• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Console Screenshot Thread (PS4, XB1, Wii U) [READ OP!]

Caayn

elitecaayn6hvsho.png

elitecaayn7twsaq.png

elitecaayn10m4su3.png

And so we wait for Journey PS4 pics
Will post some, but PSN gives me a measly 200KB/s :(

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hide the UI in photomode. All the effects will still be there, but if you screenshot that you won't have the watermark or massive compression that come from photomode pictures.

Oh, I never thought of this. Would be useful too, because my Forza Gallery is running out of space. Thanks.

Batman Arkham Knight (Xbox One)

NFIJlJD.png

BgyF6S7.png

That neon glow.

usegOQr.png

dr_rus

It is that awful compression that Sony uses for the PS4 screenshots.

The game definitely looks 1080p on my screen.

JPEG compression has nothing to do with this.

It looks like their blurring solution is somehow enlarging the pixels while blurring them to the point where they look like a 720p upscale.

Look at the edge on the top of this screenshot:

journeycaayn18bs5w.jpg

You can clearly see aliasing which shouldn't be the case here as the game is supposed to render in 1080p and blur that image to create this "dreamy" look as a result.

And this shot:

journeycaayn24lshl.jpg

Is the only one from the last page in which I can actually tell that the game is rendering in higher than 720p.

It does look rather disappointing as it seems that they're either not rendering in 1080p at all or their blurring shader is plain bad for the new 1080p frame buffer.

This has got to be one of the best co-op experiences I've ever had in a game. Thank you to whoever you are in these shots (I met a few different people), you made a great experience even greater. The music, the beautiful art style, the floaty gameplay. Love it. Definitely worth the wait. :D

19873609976_742c9bf0ac_o.jpg

19904912021_ab463e019c_o.jpg

19899826405_b9c4da1088_o.jpg

JPEG compression has nothing to do with this.

What? Of course it does. The PS4 compresses every screenshot it takes. So if those shots he's posted have been taken with the share button then they have JPEG compression. I've just stopped playing it and the moment I looked at my screenshots on my PC I immediately noticed how much worse the IQ looked. It looks much sharper on my TV. The AA solution could have been a bit better, however.

Bonus clip

dr_rus

What? Of course it does. The PS4 compresses every screenshot it takes. So if those shots he's posted have been taken with the share button then they have JPEG compression. I've just stopped playing it and the moment I looked at my screenshots on my PC I immediately noticed how much worse the IQ looked. It looks much sharper on my TV. The AA solution could have been a bit better, however.

Bonus clip

No it doesn't. No amount of JPEG compression can produce such aliasing artifacts or enlarge pixels like this. Even if you compress to JPEG with 5% quality here's what you'll get:

This image is actually less aliased than the original PNG I took myself. A lot of people seems to blame JPEG compression in everything but don't really understand how it works. JPEG compression destroy color information via encoding it in gradients all while preserving light information. It can't increase the perceivable aliasing by compression as what it actually does is antialias the image by destroying smaller color details and substituting them with a naturally more smooth gradients.

Also I have the game and I know how it looks on my 55" TV. It looks pretty much the same as in all these screenshots - i.e. like not a 1080p game at all.

No it doesn't. No amount of JPEG compression can produce such aliasing artifacts or enlarge pixels like this. Even if you compress to JPEG with 5% quality here's what you'll get:

This image is actually less aliased than the original PNG I took myself. A lot of people seems to blame JPEG compression in everything but don't really understand how it works. JPEG compression destroy color information via encoding it in gradients all while preserving light information. It can't increase the perceivable aliasing by compression as what it actually does is antialias the image by destroying smaller color details and substituting them with a naturally more smooth gradients.

Also I have the game and I know how it looks on my 55" TV. It looks pretty much the same as in all these screenshots - i.e. like not a 1080p game at all.

Ah, I get what you're saying now, my bad I didn't read the rest of your comment I quoted or the comments on the last page.

Some more Journey:

19713965720_590b939123_o.jpg

19281051083_3a9276a623_o.jpg

19901978585_ed6fed9dbc_o.jpg

First time posting in here,
Some Arkham Knight on PS4

And one Project Cars also on PS4

3 shots per-post, as per the rules in the OP. :)

Nice shots though!

Give this a try if you're using chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/og-flickr/fichomnnmpafldcbpelajknhhmcafcca?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

Lets you right-click on a picture and go straight to the original image so you can copy the URL from there.

Top Bottom