• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 new Resident Evil VII: Not A Hero Screenshots (Another Melee Finisher Returns)

I said the same thing months ago about the future of first person RE and "fanboys" (who apparently failed to turn up for their precious RE7 which had disappointing sales) told me to shut up. Looks like we know who Capcom really listens to these days tho. So it must suck to be them.

That logic only holds if you think a massively disappointing game like re6 could never have negative backlash on sales of future titles.

Well that didn't stop them when made RE5 Chris look ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like RE1 or RECVX Chris

Chris and Jill's RE5 faces are their REmake faces,
they made Chris's face a bit wider to better fit the buff look.

Darkside Chronicles makes it very clear as you can easily see 5 Chris in it but its obviously the REmake face

mao2

That logic only holds if you think a massively disappointing game like re6 could never have negative backlash on sales of future titles.
A massively disappointing game with negative backlash that went on to sell an additional 1 million copies on PS4/XBO, on top of the 6.8 million copies sold on PS3/360, making it either Capcom's best or second best selling title of all time?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366246
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

I think Chris has a different face in every RE game that he's been in.

Capcom themselves have said otherwise.
They explicitly said in an interview (or might have been a behind-the-scenes video) that the RE5 faces are REmakes'.
Chris was aged and made slightly more wide, Jill was aged and made more pale.

6 took 5's really aged it up and altered certain elements based on feedback.
(1 thing specifically was toning his ears down. They also fixed his build so he was about the same size but not proportioned like a cartoon characters)

gelf

I'm not feeling this at all. I was happy with 7 as a first person adventure game with some shooting but turning it into a full FPS campaign makes me lose interest.

Jawmuncher

I'm not feeling this at all. I was happy with 7 as a first person adventure game with some shooting but turning it into a full FPS campaign makes me lose interest.

Damn can you let us just eat for one DLC please

This looks good to be honest. I just hope they've made some adjustments to combat to make shooting enemies actually exciting.

It's nice to see that a little melee is all it took to keep some of the bigger Action RE fans happy here.

Despite how some of my posts may seem. I didn't hate RE7. There were good parts and going back to the older style gameplay was nice. The whole first part of the game in the mansion finding dog heads was great. A lot of my complaints for the game are on the back half and the story along with dumb horror cliches they thought were a good idea for the series.
If anything I'm just more critical of horror than I am action. With action give me my melee moves and what not and it's easier to excuse other short comings. Especially when there is a mercenaries type mode. Horror on the other hand rarely has such gameplay so the atmosphere, scares, and story imo need to be top notch.

I'm still interested in seeing a RE8 that takes the good stuff from RE7 while fixing the bad.

JaynePea

It especially odd when this month we're seeing chris in the RE5 design.
ItF3U4x.jpg

Though going by the director or someone from RE7. Apparently both styles are here to stay in some capacity. RE7 chris for these more realistic RE engine games and the regular RE5 style chris to stay for not realistic stuff. Still odd but whatever.

At least RE7's Chris doesn't look like a bad rob liefeld painting

xviper

i thought RE7 was going to be another P.T clone, i was wrong, it was a masterpiece and a return of the true Resident evil

Not a Hero DLC looks like an FPS campaign that has nothing to do with RE, but i will not lose hope, maybe it will surprise me like RE7 did

mao2

I wonder if it's possible for them to add an optional over the shoulder camera angle as a bonus, like the fixed camera angle they included in Lost in Nightmares DLC for RE5.

Such a damn shame. I really liked the tense horror vibe of the base game. Especially the first couple of hours. Jack was in my honest opinion the most horrifying enemy I have ever faced in a video game. Sneaking trough the house with no bullets to spare and hearing him hunting for you was so damn scary.

This kinda seems like they are going for that full on "stupid" vibe of the previous games. It really makes me kinda sad. Oh well, will play trough it anyways since the gameplay was good.

Edited

Jawmuncher

Sändersson;249147986 said:
Such a damn shame. I really liked the tense horror vibe of the base game. Especially the first couple of hours. Jack was in my honest opinion the most horrifying enemy I have ever faced in a video game. Sneaking trough the house with no bullets to spare and hearing him hunting for you was so damn scary.

This kinda seems like they are going for that full on retard vibe of the previous games. It really makes me kinda sad. Oh well, will play trough it anyways since the gameplay was good.

Come on bruh. You don't gotta like those games but there's a better word to use than retard.

Sadist

Looking good. Rock punch Chris is best Chris.

But still, how in the world does Chris end up with Neo Umbrella? Everytime Umbrella gets mentioned he's all like "rraarrggh Umbrella is evil, impact on my life rrgghblah" and gets all fired up on challenging them.

Fury451

Banned
I haven't played any of the other DLC, and I'm really only interested in this for Chris to be honest, I didn't care much for the main game itself to begin with so I'm not really expecting too much of this either.
It's not every game.

Chris Redfield has had the same face for three games straight (RE5, RE6, RE:R). For whatever reason, they decided to change his face for RE7.

He's technically had a variation of the same face since the remake. It looks quite different than five, but if you compare them you can see that they used it as a base.

Jawmuncher

But still, how in the world does Chris end up with Neo Umbrella? Everytime Umbrella gets mentioned he's all like "rraarrggh Umbrella is evil, impact on my life rrgghblah" and gets all fired up on challenging them.

This Umbrella is in name only and made to fix the mistakes of Umbrella of old

Was back january chief in glorious FP mode and immersive VR mode, This looks more of the same suiting up as chris and obviously catering to you guys with the punch and kick mechanics.

The Zoe dlc is more for the real Resi style gameplay.

Outside being horror, the second DLC might be quite a shift on RE conventions considering it was partly helmed by the PT director and we don't know how much PT elements he might've tried to put in.

Sändersson;249147986 said:

This kinda seems like they are going for that full on "stupid" vibe of the previous games. It really makes me kinda sad. Oh well, will play trough it anyways since the gameplay was good.

Edited
Wouldn't worry too much, The Chris dlc is for those R6 fans who like to shoot and punch enemies with no challenge at all, The real Resi fans of survival horror like R7 will be getting Zoe dlc which had the PT producer involved.

They have catered to all there fans if anything.

Really hope they played some doom before designing this. It has potential but the gun play in 7 was very...weak. Can't wait for some more action RE.

Yeah, I agree. ReVII completely fell apart for me after the houses when it turns into a tube shooter. I don't mind action-y Resident Evil, but the controls, weapons, and level design just weren't there.

Fury451

Banned
Didn't they mention in 6 that she retired?

Probably. A lot of 6's story and detail was hidden behind files. Ones that were easy to miss and contained really huge info chunks.

Wouldn't worry too much, The Chris dlc is for those R6 fans who like to shoot and punch enemies with no challenge at all, The real Resi fans of survival horror like R7 will be getting Zoe dlc which had the PT producer involved.

I feel like I say this every time this comes up, but Resident Evil has always had a huge action bent to it after you get like halfway through a game; the first game alone had you shooting the boss with a rocket launcher.

Resident Evil 3 got shit for being "more action" than the others when it came out too. I get that they got far more action focused in later games, but it's not like action heavy parts are a foreign concept to the series' roots or something.

The main story got real action heavy towards the end. The cave sequence in particular gave you a machine gun and infinite ammo.

Playing through resi 7 now and loving it.

But resident evil 4 will always be the greatest the series has to offer. It's the greatest gaming has to offer imho.

Excited for the DLC, going to try and burn through the rest of the game before I head back to university.

dark_chris

Gold Member

when you buy the Albert-01 airsoft gun, it comes with Resident Evil lore information. Apparently, this version of Umbrella was resurrected so they can atone for all the bad things that have happened. It was resurrected by the government to essentially make amends by cleaning up after themselves. The Blue logo Umbrella are the good guys and the other colored ones are the bad dudes.

Village

This looks like one of these shitty "fighting" marvel games for smartphones. How do you go from MvC3 to this garbage?

the game plays well, so it isn't shitty

but visually, to put it shortly, they probably strait up didn't have a lot of time to work on it

trejo

Kinda sad that they felt the need to shove RE6-style action in there for notChris to stomp his way around but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

BadWolf

Kinda sad that they the need to shove RE6-style action in there for notChris to stomp his way around but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

You'd rather he be bare bones like Ethan?

The guy is a trained soldier and has been at this for years.

trejo

You'd rather he be bare bones like Ethan?

The guy is a trained soldier and has been at this for years.
Yeah, reading around it looks like End of Zoe will be the real RE7 follow-up while this is more like throwing a bone at those RE6-loving weirdos. Odd decision though to market this as the "true ending" if so although I imagine that was set in stone before the switch to more action happened.

Top Bottom