• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 way cross buy (PS4/PS3/Vita) in the works?

It will be like buying a Disney Bluray. There will be like 18 disks inside. The 3D disk, the Regular Bluray disk, the special features disk, the DVD, the digital Copy disk, etc.

Works for me! I fear a massive premium though...

If it wasn't likely bannable, this would probably be the perfect thread for a gif of Total Recall's "Baby you make me wish I had three hands" bit.

Bahahahaha

Sylver

Banned
This + ps4 mandatory digital releases are godly news.
I miss some DD releases for PS3 games.

Why would you play it on PS3 if you have a PS4? This seems sort of superfluous.

You can buy the PS3 version if you only have a PS3, then later buy the PS4 console and you will have the PS4 version ready to download for free in PSN Store.

BOOM
testy4zwt.gif

Magnus

This is amazing.

So amazing that it cant be true.

And if it is true, I commend Sony for breaking the "game publishers are trying to rape us" mold that has taken over the industry

My thoughts as well. This is awesome.

WRU Nintendo? This is all happening without you. Be part of this pro-consumer move!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
That's a sequential orgasm wherever you start. 4-3-V V-3-4
So now, I won't have to feel guilty about buying whichever version of last of us, and last guardian.

Now people won't have to pirate to get the game on all 3 Sony platforms (as if it were ever the case).

Takao

Banned
My thoughts as well. This is awesome.

WRU Nintendo? This is all happening without you. Be part of this pro-consumer move!

Nintendo will probably make more money than SCE in the coming generation. 3DS will continue to curb stomp Vita, and despite Wii U selling like hot dog shit it will probably be more profitable than PS4 once it recovers.

Raoh

I always assumed PS+ would lead into that direction.

Not just buy once for three. And definitely not into what most MS gamers want where its like GOLD or another service but more realistic for a company and a consumer.

Buy one (lets say PS3), and as a + member you get a PS VITA (add on/bundle upgrade) for $25/$30 and then again a PS4 (add on/bundle upgrade) for $25/$30 or even cheaper as a one time complete purchase for $79/$89.

If you play all three its a good deal, not if your a one platform holder and a non PS+ member where the prices may be higher, not so much.

This leads into my anti horse armor/Live Gold never free services/dlc.

As primarily a console gamer, Pre Current Gen, I always envied the PC gamer. For their Expansion Packs. Expansion packs and mods, was like Arma II ($49.99) then DayZ for $29.99. Or Warcraft III followed by Frozen Throne.

Not horse armor, removed levels or a yearly release of a re-skinned game.

Support good initiatives and companies will follow. Support shitty initiatives (half ass dlc) and companies will follow.

Sorry for the rant.

Back to the bar I go.

bryehn

I doubt I'll have any desire to play a PS4 game on PS3, but a cross save in a situation where you had a PS3 in your bedroom or such would be a nice option. Or if you plan to buy a game, but maybe not the new hardware till next year/pricedrop. I wholeheartedly welcome more cross buy/save options.

jmizzal

Amazing in the age where Nintendo charges you three times to download the same shitty NES games on 3DS, Wii U and Wii. Sony gets it.

You do know you will have to buy the games your brought on PS3 again to play them on PS4 right? Digital games of course.

TriGen

I really didn't consider the chance that buying a PS4 game would get you the PS3 one too. That sounds really good. I figured they would keep doing cross-buy with Vita.

You do know you will have to buy the games your brought on PS3 again to play them on PS4 right?

It can't really be compared. Nintendo is allowing you to purchase older releases on 3 different consoles, while Sony would be including all 3 copies, like they do now with PS3/Vita cross-buy. Nintendo doesn't really release cross-buy Wii/3DS games.

I can download a PSone classic on PSN for example, and play it on my PS3 or Vita since I "own" it. As opposed to having to buy it for each system separately.

This is good news though, as cross-buy is a great deal. I thought maybe they would do away with it on most titles at some point, but it's good to see they have plans for expanding it.

Boke1879

If they can make this a reality then this is really great. Sony Seems to be taking the right steps in making their ecosystem seem very attractive. I hope they get rewarded for this.

Sylver

Banned
You do know you will have to buy the games your brought on PS3 again to play them on PS4 right? Digital games of course.
Source?
First of won't be PS3 games on PS4 because won't be BC.
But If there're at any time why do you say that?
Do you don't need to rebuy PSX games to play them on any PS Sytem. -> You can play with them in PSP, PSPGo, PS3, PSVita
Do you don't need to rebuy PSP games to play them on PSVita. -> You can play with them in PSP, PSGo, PSVita.
I bet you won't need to rebuy PS2 games to play them in PS4 (I bet will be PS2 emu in the same way is on PS3).
Why would be different -if there's any kind of port (not remake)- with PS3 games in PS4?

randomkid

Three way cross buy (haha it really does sound super kinky) has been a thing for quite a while. What do you think PSX classics are?

Dragon

Banned

I don't know that because Sony announced there is no PS3 BC with PS4 so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Was something announced? Most people in this thread are talking about PSP/PS1 games being playable across PSP/PS3/PSV. Which is something Nintendo certainly does not do considering Wii U Virtual Console vs. Wii Virtual Console.

Takao

Banned
Three way cross buy (haha it really does sound super kinky) has been a thing for quite a while. What do you think PSX classics are?

That's a bit different since it's just an ISO in an emulator. These are three separate builds for three separate platforms.

Makes me wonder if third parties are okay with the cross-buy situation on the PSone Classics. Imagine how much money Square could've made if they charged $10 for FFVII on each platform ...

Mileena

Banned
That's a bit different since it's just an ISO in an emulator. These are three separate builds for three separate platforms.

Makes me wonder if third parties are okay with the cross-buy situation on the PSone Classics. Imagine how much money Square could've made if they charged $10 for FFVII on each platform ...
If square wanted to be that anti-consumer they would just put up FF1-6 on 3DS and Wii U eShop and make us pay twice for each of them like Nintendo does.

velociraptor

Very commendable! I think to show my support I will purchase the PS4 day one. Sony seemed to have turned a new leaf. I'm liking the new Sony. I wasn't planning to purchase any more PS3 games but I hope this means killer apps like GT6 are included. This may justify my GT6 purchase!

daveo42

Banned
Man I really want this to happen, at least for more Vita action for gaming on the go. Come on Sony, let us play your games how and where we want.

DigitalOp

Banned
Nintendo will probably make more money than SCE in the coming generation. 3DS will continue to curb stomp Vita, and despite Wii U selling like hot dog shit it will probably be more profitable than PS4 once it recovers.

So the Wii U will recover but the Vita can't?

Not a sales war but just perplexed by the post.

I really believe Sony is gonna push the Vita as a companion to PS4 boosting its adoption rate. If they add the right features (and price, AND memory gouging ill give you that), I see it succeeding.

Cross Buy is one of them.

Takao

Banned
So the Wii U will recover but the Vita can't?

Not a sales war but just perplexed by the post.

I really believe Sony is gonna push the Vita as a companion to PS4 boosting its adoption rate. If they add the right features (and price, AND memory gouging ill give you that), I see it succeeding.

Cross Buy is one of them.

Vita has 0 exclusive entries in the franchises that sold PSPs, and we've not seen Sony put in the effort to change that. On the other hand we know Wii U will get Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Super Smash, Zelda, etc. eventually. Wii U likely won't sell more than PS4 does on a global basis, but I suspect Nintendo will make a platform out of the Wii U largely on the back of their software alone.

I personally am not a fan of the cross-platform push Sony's put on Vita. It's not an accessory, and so they shouldn't be treating it as one.

Sooo... this is going to be digital title... Sony is known for allowing digital titles to be used across compatible systems.... so yeah, not seeing anything shocking about this at all.

I also assume when PS4 gets it's PSone emulator working we'll see "cross play" between the three consoles as well.

Yes, I realize this isn't the exact same, that the game will have to actually be ported to PS4, but my point is it's hardly surprising.

(Edit) As for PS4 selling Vitas.... No amount of cross buy is going to put good EXCLUSIVE content (the stuff that actually sells hardware) onto it. Alternatively, if the PS4 does add features that make linking it to a Vita worth it, how many people will truly use it to purchase Vita content and how many will stick to streaming PS4 games? If the latter, it helps make the Vita look more successful, but it comes at the cost of loss-leading hardware and no software sales to cover it... still not very helpful.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sooo... this is going to be digital title... Sony is known for allowing digital titles to be used across compatible systems.... so yeah, not seeing anything shocking about this at all.
Not shocking, but it's nice to hear they have plans on doing cross play between PS3/PS4. They could have kept it 1 console + portable or dumped the whole idea next gen.

once PS4 launches it would be awesome if Sony made it to where a game released, and you buy it, you automatically have it on any and all compatible PS devices. sort of like how when you buy an Android app/game you're free to download it from your account to your other devices so long as the app is compatible.

if they could optimize the SDK's and fees and all that to make it as affordable as possible for devs it could be a good way to provide more value for users looking for a reason to buy a Vita, or still have their PS3 and don't want to be limited to playing a specific PSN game on just their PS4.

sure, it wouldn't apply to all games seeing as PS4 will be capable of far more than PS3, but smaller games like Guacamelee or the PixelJunk games seem like perfect candidates to be across all three platforms. and as the generation progresses and PS3 fades out you'd see less stuff made available for it, and it would be limited to Vita and Sony tablets supplementing the PS4 versions.

DigitalOp

Banned
I personally am not a fan of the cross-platform push Sony's put on Vita. It's not an accessory, and so they shouldn't be treating it as one.

Exactly. Its a device of its own. Portable Hardware. Having software tied between them is gaming taking a page out of mobile. So Sony is using the same stuff to add a checkbox. Rather meaningless but still cool that we all have the content between our devices.

(Edit) As for PS4 selling Vitas.... No amount of cross buy is going to put good EXCLUSIVE content (the stuff that actually sells hardware) onto it. Alternatively, if the PS4 does add features that make linking it to a Vita worth it, how many people will truly use it to purchase Vita content and how many will stick to streaming PS4 games? If the latter, it helps make the Vita look more successful, but it comes at the cost of loss-leading hardware and no software sales to cover it... still not very helpful.

Your pretty much saying the same thing. Its gonna depend on Sonys software situation.

If they get people hyped next gen then its another thing that carries the brand in the end.

If Sony leverages the social media and entertainment aspects of the Vita. They may have a strong case. A gaming focused machine with just as capable apps to have purpose.

lol A far cry right?

As for loss leading software, Idk how much overhead profit the PS3 has brought Sony but I think they invested way too much into Vita to dump it. Nintendo has a failing console that they have to work with in the same way. Its up to big dogs to decide if their handheld is worth continuing and pulling the plug.

Sony has to bring the software, this is meant to push the content.

Top Bottom