• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 years later - What's your Final Verdict on Mighty No.9? Worth it in 2019? Is the game finished?

I've never actually touched Mighty No.9, just like I never touched recore, the whole thing was funded based on taking advantage of fans unwarranted anger toward Capcom at the time, but from what I gather as of now there's no reason to actually play it. Especially with mega Man 11 out

From what I understand and from gameplay clips I've seen, even after all of the launch woes, the game was never finished. Apparently the game has the ability to crash and even "erase" PC's, frame rate studders and crashes on consoles are common, white zones along the boundaries of character models as if they forgot to use the erase tool, several levels are using the same assets but just how objects or alternate colors in the background to make the levels look varied, extremely short, there's story DLC that never gets concluded, the hint system is a mess, several collision detection bugs make cheap deaths for a game where dashing into the enemy is a REQUIREMENT, the game tells you who is weak to what, removing exploration/experimentation, and the dialog is poorly written and the models use generic 3-4 frame animations.

Of course this studio and director has had a track record of incomplete games, even the so called "RECORE" game was unfinished and they had to release another edition of the game, which is still unfinished. Also MN9 had told people to make their own box as well.

Now, that was awhile ago, from most of 2018 till now, I've not heard anything new about MN9 except that some new updates were added. So I have a question for all former/current Mighty No9 gamers:

Is the game finished?

Have all the old problems been fixed?

What's your overall opinion on the game and do you think it's worth exploring in 2019?

ethomaz

Banned
lol

Trash.

One of the worst games of my entry 30 years of gaming life... it is on the level of ET for Atari and Superman for Nintendo 64.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
IMPORTANT: You can always just check the reviews and user/gaf reception, new gaf won't suddenly say it's all wrong, especially when it's extensively discussed the game with the same concensus. You didn't miss some major game-overhauling patch/remake that turned the game from trash to awesome, you'd have heard about it for sure if that was the case. The same goes for every other older or newer game you're supposedly curious about these days, yet never really participate in discussion after making the OP except to later bump the thread for more attention by quoting people who call all that out. My turn?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mighty-no-9-review-thread.1236654/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mighty-no-9-ot-the-blue-bomba.1237191/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/a-detailed-explanation-of-why-mighty-no-9-was-terrible.1363975/
An actual LTTP is more worthwhile than asking others to do a LTTP or recap for thread/like/vote quotas: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lttp-mighty-no-9.1395594/

The company directly or indirectly put out a bunch of other cool 2D games, some as spin offs of this IP and others not, which made them quite worthwhile overall. This game was trash and remained such.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Other than the worse graphics, it doesn't play much different than Mega Man 11 (Jump, dash, shoot stuff). They're one and done kind of games you finish in an afternoon. Played both on PC and I had none of the issues the OP posted.

Last edited:

BurstZyn

My opinion is probably supremely unpopular, but i played it for a hour and a half like a few weeks ago.... And honestly its not really that bad to me. Now that goes without saying, i didnt really play enough to properly review it. It looks hideous, the voice acting is subpar. But it plays alright with a cool mechanic when you learn how to use. Now ive only played Mega Man 1-7 and the demo of 11, which i felt surpass MN9 in every way, but i didn't really feel to negative towards the game.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I played maybe a stage and half of the Wii U version and never touched it again. It was bloody terrible.

I backed the game and never even got my copy I was promised. Haven't heard good things about it, almost like Inafune wasn't to be trusted but Mega Man fans were THIRSTY.

Rotti

Its certainly finished, but sadly its not a good product, bad art style, average gameplay, and broken promises. It was and is a mess.
And, we now have Mega man 11, its pretty good, doesnt try anything new, but its a very good game.

Its certainly finished, but sadly its not a good product, bad art style, average gameplay, and broken promises. It was and is a mess.
And, we now have Mega man 11, its pretty good, doesnt try anything new, but its a very good game.

Eh, nothing new but at least Mega man 11 sets up anew direction for the series and isn't another 8-bit retread.

Rotti

Eh, nothing new but at least Mega man 11 sets up anew direction for the series and isn't another 8-bit retread.

Agreed, and I think that for the first Mega man game in years it was a good decision to go the safe route, they can get more crazy with new games and the X series.

Ten_Fold

I was soo salty about legends 3 being canned I brought it and boooooyyyy that game was soo bad like just bad MM11 is soo much better an I’m not a big fan of the OG mega man games I like X and legends more.

Top Bottom