• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Thunder Force III confirmed in Archives 3 (JP) for 3DS, Sega buys Technosoft's IPs

AmyS

Wow, sounds awesome. I had never even heard of Hyper Reverthion or Elemental Master. :eek:

Electronic Gaming Monthly mentioned Elemental Master would be called "Thunder Force 4" in the U.S., even though that did not happen, it was just Elemental Master.

EGM issue 17 - December 1990
t1JrzWQ.jpg

EGM's spin-off Sega magazine Mega Play - issue 2 Jan/Feb 1991
V4P2YYG.jpg

EGM issue 20 March 1991
9kvAMED.jpg

EGM issue 19 - February 1991
yE3hfUU.jpg

I loooove Thunder Force 3. Really liked Elemental Master. Only got to play TF4 for a bit but it didn't grab me like 3 but I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I tried Herzog Zwei after hearing so much praise but it didn't grab me at all.

TF3 has one of my favorite all-time music tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWRpJJLtpY

That whole level in 3D? Please, please please bring this over Sega!

EXMaster

I've always thought that Thunder Force and Technosoft's stuff was far too neglected in the retro game re-release circles. It appears that this may finally be getting remedied.

Also this puts Thunder Force DLC for Dariusburst:CS, or even, "M2ShotTriggers: Hyper Duel" (and maybe Blast Wind) in the realm of possibility now. It would be nice to not have to pay hundreds of dollars to get legit copies of the latter.

eXistor

Thunder Force III is one of my favorite schmups and one of the few I can actually finish without much problems (I suck at them generally). The ost might also be my favorite in the genre. I really hope they do Elemental Master too, I never played that and it's getting on in price for a real copy.

AmyS

Thunder force and herzog zwei are two of my favorite of all time. :)

Same here.

Electronic Gaming Monthly pretty much shat all over Herzog Zwei with their reviews.

Large in-your-face pics so everyone remembers and know what score each EGM Review Crew member gave Herzog Zwei.

i7utzJg.jpg
-
4f9CVR4.jpg

When anyone mentions that Herzog Zwei received poor scores in magazine(s) back in the day, this really what they're referring to, whether they realize it or not.

On the other hand, EGM's coverage of TF III was mind blowing, amazingly good.

BUrUYWL.jpg

M5gmIYg.jpg

xy4Wbws.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
What does a developer like Technosoft do when they haven't had any projects for a while and have no projects in the pipeline? Do they get other day jobs or something?

I guarantee you Sega went to them asking to license some Force games for their 3DS collection and they realized it's cheaper to buy them outright

Technosoft, the developer, hasnt existed in years. Their ips have been with a holding company for years now. Sega licensed the thunder force ip bavk in 2007 to make thunder force vi (it sucked) but technosoft hasnt existed since before then.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have the biggest grin on my face right now, you still manage to surprise and delight me Sega ;D

Let's celebrate by listening to the OST!

Haides

The part of this song where it slows down to the bridge about 2/3 of the way through, coupled with you flying in front of the waterfall in the stage, is one of my favorite sega genesis moments ever. That moment, and the bridge on venus fire when the level speeds up, stand out so clearly in my mind.

Thunder force 3 had such an amazing soundtrack.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Chance for a Thunder Force collection on Steam?

cantbreathe.gif~original

p.s. - TF3 is not better than TF4, in any way, in any dimension. And I LOVE, TF3

gunstarhero

Never thought I'd live to see the day....

I still have my Saturn mainly for TF Gold Pack - TF3 in particular is one of my all time favs.

I know it's not as loved....but TF2 is really good as well. The top down sections can be tough, but once you play it enough, they're really fun.

Krejlooc

Banned
When I got my Sega Genesis, I got 3 games with it - Sonic the Hedgehog (packed in), Columns (from my Grandma), and Thunder Force III from my dad. I wound up loving all 3.

Krejlooc

Banned
So Sega is now THE RTS company, right? They even own historically great RTS games. They own the IP that arguably started the genre.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Never thought I'd live to see the day....

I still have my Saturn mainly for TF Gold Pack - TF3 in particular is one of my all time favs.

I know it's not as loved....but TF2 is really good as well. The top down sections can be tough, but once you play it enough, they're really fun.

TF2's top down sections were literally my first "git gud son" experience as a kid. Suddenly I realized that there are levels to being good at controlling video games.

fvng

Was just about to ask about treasure too. Where are those team members? Is treasure defunct? Who owns the IPs?

If Sega owns Treasure and Technosoft that would be incredible

Krejlooc

Banned
Thunder Force III was the very first game where I'd go to the sound test and just leave my Genesis running so I could listen to the music. I actually output the genesis sound via the headphone jack to a tape deck back in the day so I could record the OST to a cassette and carry it around with me.

Krejlooc

Banned
Was just about to ask about treasure too. Where are those team members? Is treasure defunct? Who owns the IPs?

If Sega owns Treasure and Technosoft that would be incredible

Treasure is still around and kicking. They have talked about wanting to release an original title for Steam, but that was a few years ago and they have been quiet since. But they are still around.

Sega actually already owns most of Treasures IPs.

Sega needs to buy Camelot as well. Bring them back to the company, and get them working on Shining Force again.

fvng

Treasure is still around and kicking. They have talked about wanting to release an original title for Steam, but that was a few years ago and they have been quiet since. But they are still around.

Sega actually already owns most of Treasures IPs.

Sega needs to buy Camelot as well. Bring them back to the company, and get them working on Shining Force again.

That's what I mean though how are dormant companies and especially their staff making money in the meantime?
They might be alive but I wouldn't say "kicking"
That's a Stretch

Krejlooc

Banned
That's what I mean though how are dormant companies and especially their staff making money in the meantime?
They might be alive but I wouldn't say "kicking"
That's a Stretch

They don't have a staff, they weren't making games. Technosoft doesn't exist anymore, it's just a collection of IPs that a holding company took possession of, until Sega bought them.

And it's not a stretch. They are alive. They claim they are working on a game. They said Steam is the future of their company. That is "kicking."

fvng

They don't have a staff, they weren't making games. Technosoft doesn't exist anymore, it's just a collection of IPs that a holding company took possession of, until Sega bought them.

I know. My question was already answered by someone else

And it's not a stretch. They are alive. They claim they are working on a game. They said Steam is the future of their company. That is "kicking."

Now you are appending to what you said before. You said earlier they only wanted to release a game in steam and that they've been quiet. which is a lot different from what you are saying now which is "they are working on a game"

They either want to or are actually working on something. Which one is it? It can't be both.

Do you understand the difference and how now you've tweaked what you said?

Krejlooc

Banned
I know. My question was already answered by someone else

...no, it was answered by me.

Now you are appending to what you said before. You said earlier they only wanted to release a game in steam and that they've been quiet. which is a lot different from what you are saying now which is "they are working on a game"

They either want to or are actually working on something. Which one is it? It can't be both.

Do you understand the difference and how now you've tweaked what you said?

derp

Slermy

Oh wow! This is incredible news. I hope the #1 mystery game is actually Thunderforce IV.

In either case, this, coupled with Sonic Mania has the retro fan in me yelling at the top of its lungs. 2017 is going to be phenomenal for me (assuming that's when we'll see this 3rd wave of titles in the west).

I loved the shit out of this game back in the day. Any Genesis game with "Force" in the name is fucking great.

Thunder Force
Burning Force
Galaxy Force
Shining Force

This statement is FACT.

Cody_D165

Banned
Stopped to think about this again today and I'm so glad this is happening. Like I'm really glad that Sega acknowledges that the Technosoft catalog is worth keeping around. It does my heart good as a die-hard Genesis fan.

Thunder force IV is one of my favourite games and my first thunder force game so it was very difficult for me to get into 2 and 3 later on, I just thought the graphics and music suckEd in comparison. I'll buy whatever they release though!

Krejlooc

Banned
Thunder force IV is one of my favourite games and my first thunder force game so it was very difficult for me to get into 2 and 3 later on, I just thought the graphics and music suckEd in comparison. I'll buy whatever they release though!

lmfao the music in thunder force III is incredible. nothing about Thunder Force III sucks.

Top Bottom