• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS And Vita Still Getting Games Is Awesome

HotHamBoy

It's a good time to be a handheld gamer.

3DS getting such high-profile support from Nintendo is awesome and I don't care what Switch-owning port-beggars say. Not everyone is ready to drop $300 on a new system this year, especially when that money can go towards all the great games coming out instead.

Vita, well, Vita means life. The games may not be as high-profile but they are there and in far greater quantity than you may realize.

By no means complete, but I attempted to compile a list of notable 2017 games for these two aging handhelds.

italics = released

3DS 2017

Dragon Quest VIII
Poochi and Yoshi
Punch Club
Mario Sports Superstars
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
Bye-Bye BoxBoy
Go Go Kokopolo 3D
Story of Seasons Trio of Towns
Blaster Master Zero
Elliot Quest
Fire Emblem Echoes

Runbow Pocket
Monster Hunter Stories
Layton's Mystery Journey
Shakedown Hawaii
Ever Oasis
Hey Pikmin
Miitopia
Culdcept Revolt
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
SMT Strange Journey Redux
Etrian Odyssey V
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon
Sushi Striker

Vita 2017

Atelier Shallie
Fate/Extella
Dynasty Warriors Godseekers
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
Stranger of Sword City Revisited
Atelier Firis
Talismam Digital Edition
Toukiden 2
Tohou Gensou Wanderer
Zero Escape: Nonary Games
Salt & Sanctuary
Full Throttle Remastered
Operation Babel
Hakuoki
Oceanhorn
Akiba's Beat
ClaDun Returns
Ys Origin
A Rose In Twilight
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Caligula Effect

Valkyria Revolution
Shakedown Hawaii
God Wars: Future Past
Ys VIII
Windjammers
Tokyo Xanadu
Operation Babel New Tokyo Legacy
Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion
Cosmic Star Heroine
Summon Night 6
Collar x Malice
accel world vs sword art online
Mary Skelter
Danganronpa 3
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Yamawari: Mask of Shadows
Undertale

I left out a lot of indies, too.

These are what I own / havent released and im buying. super.

Also inb4 "WHY 3ds :""((( SWITCH"

3DS 2017

Dragon Quest VIII
Bye-Bye BoxBoy
Story of Seasons Trio of Towns
Fire Emblem Echoes
Monster Hunter Stories
Layton's Mystery Journey
Shakedown Hawaii
Ever Oasis
Hey Pikmin
Miitopia
Culdcept Revolt
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
SMT Strange Journey Redux
Etrian Odyssey V
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX
Metroid 2: Return of Samus

Vita 2017

Atelier Shallie
Fate/Extella
Dynasty Warriors Godseekers
Stranger of Sword City Revisited
Atelier Firis
Toukiden 2
Zero Escape: Nonary Games
Salt & Sanctuary
Full Throttle Remastered
Operation Babel
Hakuoki
Ys Origin
A Rose In Twilight
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Caligula Effect
Valkyria Revolution
Shakedown Hawaii
God Wars: Future Past
Ys VIII
Windjammers
Tokyo Xanadu
Cosmic Star Heroine
Collar x Malice
Mary Skelter
Danganronpa 3
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Yamawari: Mask of Shadows
Undertale

Yeah I'm gonna need the 3DS to die really soon. My Switch wants all the attention. I have zero desire to play games on my 3ds.

hongcha

Yep, I'm not selling either system any time soon. I'm buying more on these two platforms this year than PS4 + Switch combined.

BigEmil

Yep I'm happy :) I'll get Switch later no rush fuck the people who say for no more games on previous handhelds and only focus on the newest handheld only -.-

Pinky

Banned
I know some are bummed at the fact Metroid: Samus Returns is on 3DS, but I think the game looks great. I'm there Day 1.

Vita never died every time I thought it was going to... I had to stop trying for a full collection, and really narrow my focus, and I spent a lot more time with my PS4 nowadays, but it's still <3

That Undertale physical copy from E3 was music to my ears.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I dun get why people want the 3DS dead. Its in what, year 5? Thats the time devs should be hitting their stride with the system in that they can pump out games fairly easily/cheaply and even experiment with new ideas without blowing the budget. Ya know, like PS2 back in 2006 through 2009?

HotHamBoy

The Metroid 2 port beggars are especially annoying. We've waited through two gens for a new 2D Metroid, it's nice to have a Metroid game in the 3DS's library.

Zambayoshi

While I'm grateful to all the early adopters who have bought a Switch, I'm quite happy playing on 3DS and Vita until Nintendo releases a Switch XL/Lite/Whatever in a couple of years.

Reset

I don't have any plans on buying a Switch anytime soon, so it's nice to see the 3DS getting support with Pokemon. Haha

The Vita releases always make me smile. I bought that thing during an emotionally tumultuous time in my life, and it gave me an avenue to escape it. The fact it still has support just makes me so happy to own the little guy.

baberunisei

Yeah it's really nice that both are getting games, but when I look at that list it's very clear to me that the 3DS still lives while the avira only survives.

It's a pity because for me the Vita is the 2nd best piece of videogame hardware ever made (1st is the Switch)

That's a pretty damn good lineup. Honestly I'm anticipating the Superatar Saga remake probably the most out of any game this year. And Metroid!

I like my 3DS, it's a great casual downtime system. I still need to finish the games I have for it, but unlike the DS whose games went out of print randomly, I'll be able to buy the games I want digitally. So great.

I still haven't played the two 3DS Mario and Luigi games, are those as good as Superstar Saga?

Edit: can also add Fire Emblem Warriors to the list, abet for the New 3DS. Thinking about getting one still.

I'll be buying a lot of what's on both of those lists! With so much coming out its hard to understand how people could get tired of or want to sell either of these systems.

Producer

Yep its great. Though im kind of sad to say i havent really played my vita much. Most if not all of the recently released and upcoming games are multiplat, i've just been getting them on other platforms.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel the opposite. I'm completely done with Vita, everything I'd buy is multiplat. Wish I could say the same for 3DS, it is still getting games that appeal to me while Switch isn't, but I'd much rather them be on new system instead of the old one. If Fire Emblem and Metroid were on it I'd probably be looking to buy one now (or got one already for Zelda+FE) instead of waiting until October for Mario and Xenoblade.

Thought Fire Emblem would be my last 3DS game but Nintendo keeps dragging it along.

The Vita releases always make me smile. I bought that thing during an emotionally tumultuous time in my life, and it gave me an avenue to escape it. The fact it still has support just makes me so happy to own the little guy.

That's cool to hear, man. I feel you. Sorry for whatever was going on at the time. I had pretty tumultuous things going on when I got a Vita right when it had launched, and it made a rough couple years of getting my life situated again, much better than it would have been.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I disagree. 3DS should be put to pasture now that the Switch is out. Vita has been thoroughly irrelevant for years, and I don't understand the enthusiasm for it at this point. And I say this as someone who liked the Vita.

DR2K

Banned
I dun get why people want the 3DS dead. Its in what, year 5? Thats the time devs should be hitting their stride with the system in that they can pump out games fairly easily/cheaply and even experiment with new ideas without blowing the budget. Ya know, like PS2 back in 2006 through 2009?

Have you heard of the lord and savior Switch?

HotHamBoy

I disagree. 3DS should be put to pasture now that the Switch is out. Vita has been thoroughly irrelevant for years, and I don't understand the enthusiasm for it at this point. And I say this as someone who liked the Vita.

Yes, throw away a 60 million player install base.

60 million people are not buying a Switch over the next year.

All these 2017 games started development over a year or two ago, you don't just cut off the established system the day your new system comes out.

LiK

People like to joke but they've gotten a lot of games. It's just that a lot are also indie or niche.

I'm happy about it too, especially considering I just got a 2DS for the first time earlier this year and have fallen in love with handheld gaming. Fire Emblem Echoes seems like it's setting the stage for more remakes of the older games, Dragon Quest 8 seems like the perfect entry point for a series I've never tried before, and the Mario & Luigi announcement was really nice to hear considering how much I want to play Superstar Saga. And of course Atlus coming through with Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. It's a great list of releases and there's so much on the system to keep one happily entertained for hours. The quality doesn't seem to be dropping either which is awesome. I thought that Nintendo would've been leaning to dropping support but they're still showing up strong and, yeah, I'm really happy about that.

While I'm grateful to all the early adopters who have bought a Switch, I'm quite happy playing on 3DS and Vita until Nintendo releases a Switch XL/Lite/Whatever in a couple of years.

Same here. More time to save up for a Switch and hopefully get a faster/cheaper system while not having to deal with stock issues.

18-Volt

There are actually more vita games than that list:

Tokyo Tattoo Girls
Toho Kobuto Burst Battle
Chaos;Child
Bad Apple Wars

3DS also has couple of Kunio games being published by Natsume.

Have you heard of the lord and savior Switch?

Currently it's not saving anyone with lots of ports and annoying unavailability. It needs some real deal games and a big userbase to call itself that.

kunonabi

Its been great news for me since i upgraded to a new 3ds earlier this year. I had a japanese one since launch but i love the hardware so much it still has that new console feel to it. Im not buying a switch for a year or two so the support, which includes a bunch of stuff i really want, will keep me very busy.

yansolo

Just a thought, but the way the switch handles portability I feel that traditional 3ds style handhelds could be on the way out

Vita has been thoroughly irrelevant for years, and I don't understand the enthusiasm for it at this point. And I say this as someone who liked the Vita.

Some people just like niche stuff that much. I don't give 2 fucks about the majority of AAA releases nowadays, yet over half of the upcoming releases for Vita appeal to me. The genres for many of those games are ones that big name companies will either never touch or have left behind, making niche games and indies the only way I can get the kinds of games I want.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Year 6. 3DS launched in March 2011. The 3DS was way out of date when it launched. It's not hard to see why people don't want games on that system anymore when we have Switch now.

13ruce

Banned
These are the 4 final Swan Song games i am buying for my 3DS: Metroid, Ever Oasis, Super Star Saga remake and Pokemon Ultra Moon or sun.

But i might make a exception if they make one final Kirby game for it or something else cool in 2018 i like that still might be announced later on in a direct.

The fact that Vita will still be getting games through 2018 as it celebrates the 6th anniversary of NeoGAF declaring it dead will be great.

I look forward to doing this again next E3.

Occam

Vita means life.

One of my favorite systems ever. I pity the fool who doesn't know about its fantastic library.

RM8

3DS is probably my favourite system ever and I'm happy that it's having a long life. Salty Switch port begging is a nice extra, too :p

ryseing

No, it's awful, and I don't even own a Switch.

I've posted this before, but I actively despise the 3DS. My OG model is slow and cramps my hands. Garbage hardware and needs to die. The sooner I can stop playing games on this thing the better. I genuinely thought FE Echoes would be the last 3DS game I buy but now there's Metroid. Friggin Nintendo.

There are enough releases plus my back catalog that could justify me purchasing a New 2DS when it launches, but that's $150 that I'd rather just put towards a Switch, plus it won't solve all of my problems with the general 3DS family. If Metroid and Radiant Historia weren't coming out, I'd suck it up and deal with my OG while I finish up my current library, but playing even newer games on this thing does not sound appealing.

Vita is fine. It's comfortable enough and the OS is snappy. I'll likely dig mine out for Ys later this year.

Saying this is a good time to be a handheld gamer is like saying you're really enjoying playing on the beach when a tsunami is about to hit. The dedicated handheld market is being left behind. Switch is portable but only just, and with the size and battery life I won't be going on any long trips with it as my primary gaming device any time soon. And Sony is done with the market entirely.

Top Bottom