• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Hack - Nintendo Can EASILY Patch the Vulnerability Says Creator

Delt31

Thought I would post this here b/c l've heard so many people say this hack can't be patched by Nintendo. As Eurogamer confirms, might want to hold off on spending money on that game to enable 3DS homebrew as it can and will be patched:

From the creator of the hack SMEALUM:

"It's just a vulnerability in a game to access a vulnerability in the system firmware. All they'd really need to do is patch the firmware and then the game doesn't even matter."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-21-student-homebrew-nintendo-3ds

good read btw

Wasn't it smealum himself who was saying it was unpatchable before? Kinda crummy.

Oh well at least I haven't dropped 60 bones on the game yet.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Well the game cost me $5, and I plan on buying the New 3DS as soon as it's out in NA

So I have no problem leaving my launch unit 3DS offline to see if they will figure out a region free hack.

Only thing I can hope for is that the N3DS is on the same firmware as the current one, so that I'll be able to system transfer my stuff, but honestly that's a convenience and not super important.

The only upcoming 3DS game I really want to play is Persona Q, and that's out in a couple days, so it won't require firmware or anything

Good interview I found this bit interesting:
it starts running code on your console, and then downloads more code through Wi-Fi, installs it to the save game
That sounds odd...I guess the SD card couldn't be accessed though. Given I was planning to use the hack on an offline 3DS (previous owners NNID still linked, they could revoke in theory or delete via their Wii U) I don't feel so bad for not being able to get Cubic Ninja.

As for it took Nintendo 4 hours to take down Cubic Ninja. thats what happens when you announce it on a weekday you fucking moron. Disclaimer: I know Smea is a very smart guy but when you have been advised by people in the PSP scene on how to do things you only bring yourself into ridicule when you do the opposite

Damn. One step closer to region free hack then two steps back.
I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens. I can't see how a software level hack has enough permissions to reboot into a completely different game (especially given now pulling the cart out gives you the nag message and throws you onto the home menu) or hack the OS.

It was pretty obvious that whenever the thing was released, the firmware could easily block it later on, if not the digital copy of the game. There's a reason he waited so long to announce the name of the game in the first place.

Top Bottom