• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 PS4 Exclusives That Should NOT Return on PS5

GamerEDM

Banned

By TYLER FISCHER - April 10, 2020 02:35 pm EDT

(Photo: PlayStation)
We have a growing list of confirmed PS5 games, but, at the moment of publishing, most of the games in development for PlayStation 5 have not been announced. Right now, rumors are suggesting we could see a new Ratchet & Clank, a SOCOM reboot, Horizon: Zero Dawn 2, a new Gran Turismo, and more at the launch of the console. For now though, these are nothing more than rumors. This week, Sony officially revealed the PS5 controller -- the DualSense -- but we don't know what games we'll be playing on it. And this could remain the case for at least a few more months.

That all said, in addition to creating new IP, there's a lot of great series Sony can pull from for the PS5, including many great PS4 exclusive games. However, not every PS4 game or PlayStation series should be carried forward. Some are best left behind, while others certainly need a rest.
Below, you can check out the six PS4 exclusives we think should NOT return on the PS5, including some of the PS4's biggest games, as well as some of its most divisive.
DEATH STRANDING

I love Death Stranding. I think it's actually one of the best games of the generation. Most big-budget games simply don’t take risks these days. With Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima not only took one million risks, but virtually all of them pay off. Like the box art suggests, it's "a Hideo Kojima game," and there's nothing else quite like it. However, it doesn't need a sequel.

Not only is Death Stranding best left alone as a completely standalone experience, but I want to see Hideo Kojima do something different. Whether that's tackle a new genre or make a movie, I want to see what else Kojima has in that wonderful mind of his. Fingers crossed it's a horror game.
UNCHARTED

Like Death Stranding, I love the Uncharted series. Would I go on another adventure with Nathan Drake or other characters from the series? You bet your sweet Sully I would. But the treasure hunter needs some rest. We've gotten four mainline Uncharted games, plus a few spin-offs, in 13 years. It's time for PlayStation to move on from the series, at least for now. And more importantly, it's time for Naughty Dog to move on. Uncharted is great, but Naughty Dog is one of the best in the business. I want to see it doing something new.
KNACK

Knack makes a terrific meme. Further, PlayStation needs a family-friendly series in the PS5 lineup. However, that family-friendly series should be LittleBigPlanet or Ratchet & Clank or both. The first Knack wasn't very good, yet somehow it got a sequel, which wasn't any better. The Internet's favorite PlayStation series began on PS4, and it should end on the PS4.
GRAVITY RUSH

Gravity Rush 2 has to be one of the oddest choices by PlayStation this generation. The first game is a cult-classic with a passionate, cult following that somehow willed a sequel into existence. Let's face it, Gravity Rush isn't a system seller, but it's also not even a critically-acclaimed series. In a world where so many great games have never gotten sequels, it's crazy to think Gravity Rush did. I like both games, but there's no reason for Sony to bring it forward.
KILLZONE

Killzone was supposed to be the Halo Killer, but it never came close to doing this. 343 Industries has been a much better Halo Killer than Killzone ever was. PlayStation needs a first-person shooter series on PS5. It would be smart to compete on this front, but how many times is Killzone going to have to fail in cementing itself in this market before Sony tries something else? Guerrilla Games is too good of a studio now to be tasked with once again trying to resuscitate a series that should be left alone to rest in peace.
INFAMOUS

8COMMENTS
InFamous has had a good run, but it's no longer needed. Sony has a better hero series now: Marvel's Spider-Man. Further, developer Sucker Punch Productions looks like it has something special on its hands with Ghost of Tsushima. And if Ghost of Tsushima is even half as good as it looks, it should be carried over and made into a proper series on PS5.

Jesb

I wouldn’t mind a new killzone. I don’t hate the series and I do think there could be some good games to be had. And it doesn't need to be a FPS. I’d love a new game in the vein of their isometric shooter. A 3rd person game could work well too. They can give it to someone else to develop.

Alphagear

I wouldn’t mind a new killzone. I don’t hate the series and I do think there could be some good games to be had. And it doesn't need to be a FPS. I’d love a new game in the vein of their isometric shooter. A 3rd person game could work well too. They can give it to someone else to develop.

Sony is still in need of that elusive FPS. Dont think Killzone is it. It never was in my opinion.

Microsoft has Halo.

Nintendo has Metroid.

Would love to see another Infamous and Gravity Rush.

Hope Naughty Dog make a new IP. What happened to Savage Starlight. Imagine a ND game set in space.

yurinka

I want Uncharted 5, Killzone 5 (please return to the KZ2 vibes) and Gravity Rush 5 (in addition to 3 and 4) on PS5.

And Kojima making a trully new IP like Metal Seal Solid, or whatever else he wants to do.
And after Days Gone 2 please ask Sony Bend to do a Syphon Filter reboot, please.
And Wipeout Alpha Collection remaking the tracks and ships from the PS1 Wipeouts with the Wipeout Omega Collection game modes, please.
And buy Ready at Dawn and ask them to do a The Order sequel plus a couple of smaller, cool VR games.

Last edited:
Toyama did express the desire to make a 3rd game for Gravity Rush. Obviously, that won’t happen soon if the Silent Hill rumors are true. Though I think the 1st and 2nd games should be remade first (without the stealth please) into one full game because it was obviously not meant to be 2 games.

SaucyJack

giphy.gif

But Tyler Fischer, that’s a really shit opinion, man!.

Last edited:

GymWolf

i'm okay with that list except for infamous, with new cpu imagine the city destruction during combat...
also i love infamous saga even if second son was a rushed mess.

i want all guerrilla workforce working on horizon 2, killzone can fuck himself, we already had 6 games on that franchise.
i will accept a new killzone game only if i can play as a bad helgast. (after horizon 2 and dlc came out)

new uncharted with lesbo nate's daughter can fuck himself too, especially after the boring shitty paced u4.
it's time to do some fantasy or scifi game for ND.

kojima has to make something on the level of mgs1-3 or zoe 2, i kinda liked DS but i can't take another mumbo jumbo kojima unleashed game from him, someone has to restrain that guy.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I would love another Killzone, providing they go back to the look and feel of 2, but with the power of the PS5. A killer online multiplayer component would gone long way to Sony having its own FPS that could aloffer a unique and great experience.

What doesn’t need a freaking rest, it needs a full blown comeback, SOCOM: Us Navy Seals.TACTICAL 3rd person, native 4k 60fps with RT. I’m in day 1!

GiJoint

I’d take another Knack, one of the few couch co-op games out there. Enjoyed 1 and 2 with my son.

Would also take another Killzone, I like the idea of an exclusive FPS taking full advantage of the console.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
To all the people getting mad over this article in his/her defense...
Nobody even bought Gravity Rush 2. Sony didn't want you to buy it either.
Game had like 0 pr.

Doom85

The Infamous and Spider-man comparison is fucking stupid. I only played the first two hours of Infamous 1, but from what I've seen of it and the sequels the characters' powers are completely different from Spidey.

Death Stranding ended perfectly though, so yeah I don't want a follow-up.

Gravity Rush, WTF? I only played some of the first one, and didn't love it as much as others, but it was still pretty good. And what's this about it not being liked, most who play it seem to really like it. Is this writer also pissed that Bayonetta 3 is happening? Seriously, fuck off with this mindset, if great games are getting follow-ups, who gives a shit about sales of the prior entries? Was the writer also pissed that Firefly got a follow-up movie?

hunthunt

Banned
Cool Story Bro

jk

I really want a new Uncharted, probably not from the Druckmann crew which IMO are onto more serious stuff.

I want the goofy "dont give a fuck about the dumb ludonarrative dissonance discussion" Uncharted, a new Uncharted 2.

Just give me a Uncharted with Sullivan in the 70s in latin america fighting fascists and communists and stealing gold just because he is a hedonistic bastard.

And Gravity Rush? give me a break.

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

Your site is literally called Comicbook. Like I am gonna listen to this guys opinion. Oh by the way the Comic book industry is dying. Maybe you should be more worried about that.

Kokoloko85

I could do with another Death Stranding.
Also I could have a more open Uncharted with a new team.

The rest I dont mind. Gravity Rush was good but Id rather Japan Studios do something else, that also includes wasting time on Knack lol

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Damn this is an exhaustive list of the PlayStation exclusives that disappointed me this gen

I love the LOOK of Gravity Rush but damn is the gameplay the definition of 'meh'

Nankatsu

Gold Member
No Knack?

Writer is clearly an Xbox Fan.

Because he knows, if Knack gets a new title, next generation is already won by Sony, hands down.

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

Last edited:

memphistora

Neo Member

By TYLER FISCHER - April 10, 2020 02:35 pm EDT

(Photo: PlayStation)
We have a growing list of confirmed PS5 games, but, at the moment of publishing, most of the games in development for PlayStation 5 have not been announced. Right now, rumors are suggesting we could see a new Ratchet & Clank, a SOCOM reboot, Horizon: Zero Dawn 2, a new Gran Turismo, and more at the launch of the console. For now though, these are nothing more than rumors. This week, Sony officially revealed the PS5 controller -- the DualSense -- but we don't know what games we'll be playing on it. And this could remain the case for at least a few more months.

That all said, in addition to creating new IP, there's a lot of great series Sony can pull from for the PS5, including many great PS4 exclusive games. However, not every PS4 game or PlayStation series should be carried forward. Some are best left behind, while others certainly need a rest.
Below, you can check out the six PS4 exclusives we think should NOT return on the PS5, including some of the PS4's biggest games, as well as some of its most divisive.
DEATH STRANDING

I love Death Stranding. I think it's actually one of the best games of the generation. Most big-budget games simply don’t take risks these days. With Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima not only took one million risks, but virtually all of them pay off. Like the box art suggests, it's "a Hideo Kojima game," and there's nothing else quite like it. However, it doesn't need a sequel.

Not only is Death Stranding best left alone as a completely standalone experience, but I want to see Hideo Kojima do something different. Whether that's tackle a new genre or make a movie, I want to see what else Kojima has in that wonderful mind of his. Fingers crossed it's a horror game.
UNCHARTED

Like Death Stranding, I love the Uncharted series. Would I go on another adventure with Nathan Drake or other characters from the series? You bet your sweet Sully I would. But the treasure hunter needs some rest. We've gotten four mainline Uncharted games, plus a few spin-offs, in 13 years. It's time for PlayStation to move on from the series, at least for now. And more importantly, it's time for Naughty Dog to move on. Uncharted is great, but Naughty Dog is one of the best in the business. I want to see it doing something new.
KNACK

Knack makes a terrific meme. Further, PlayStation needs a family-friendly series in the PS5 lineup. However, that family-friendly series should be LittleBigPlanet or Ratchet & Clank or both. The first Knack wasn't very good, yet somehow it got a sequel, which wasn't any better. The Internet's favorite PlayStation series began on PS4, and it should end on the PS4.
GRAVITY RUSH

Gravity Rush 2 has to be one of the oddest choices by PlayStation this generation. The first game is a cult-classic with a passionate, cult following that somehow willed a sequel into existence. Let's face it, Gravity Rush isn't a system seller, but it's also not even a critically-acclaimed series. In a world where so many great games have never gotten sequels, it's crazy to think Gravity Rush did. I like both games, but there's no reason for Sony to bring it forward.
KILLZONE

Killzone was supposed to be the Halo Killer, but it never came close to doing this. 343 Industries has been a much better Halo Killer than Killzone ever was. PlayStation needs a first-person shooter series on PS5. It would be smart to compete on this front, but how many times is Killzone going to have to fail in cementing itself in this market before Sony tries something else? Guerrilla Games is too good of a studio now to be tasked with once again trying to resuscitate a series that should be left alone to rest in peace.
INFAMOUS

8COMMENTS
InFamous has had a good run, but it's no longer needed. Sony has a better hero series now: Marvel's Spider-Man. Further, developer Sucker Punch Productions looks like it has something special on its hands with Ghost of Tsushima. And if Ghost of Tsushima is even half as good as it looks, it should be carried over and made into a proper series on PS5.

yeah man, I had enough for these franchises. same goes for Call of Duty. Zombies games used to be good but after getting the DLC for BO4, i say we rest the series. Nothing much as been changed except for more tedious easter eggs tasks and dumber wunder waffles weapons.

I did not get a new console to play old franchises, nuff said.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seriously, you dont want one of the best action adventure series (uncharted) of all time to continue? Nonsense.

RedVIper

Banned
Is this for real?

No Uncharted, Gravity Rush, or Infamous on PS5?

That’s absurd IMO. All those studios can release other games next gen and still make a sequel of said fanchises.

I mean, its his opinion, thats cool. But I disagree completely

Why not work on new ips instead of releasing the same games over and over.

Wouldn't mind another Killzone myself. Whilst the Shadow Fall single player paled in comparison to previous games (tho the graphics still look good today) the multiplayer was insanely good. Warzone is still one of the best FPS modes.

Horizon didn't really click with me either.

Vawn

Banned
Obviously Uncharted, inFamous and Gravity Rush have to go, but Knack????

What the hell? That's like Nintendo getting rid of Mario. Knack is the reason people buy PlayStation. The day Knack goes away is the day I quit gaming.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Now get outta here.

Death stranding what an experience

Knack yeah shit but its knack

Infaumos...well if ghost is good sure focus on that

Uncharted i agree but maybe if it goes the way of god of war more open we want it now

Gravity never played

Killzone if it goes back to how it was in killzone 1 and 2 with more open ended levels something like prey was it would be dope.

Call of duty and co now you can take that shit and never come back

Jesb

Sony is still in need of that elusive FPS. Dont think Killzone is it. It never was in my opinion.

Microsoft has Halo.

Nintendo has Metroid.

Would love to see another Infamous and Gravity Rush.

Hope Naughty Dog make a new IP. What happened to Savage Starlight. Imagine a ND game set in space.

Sony does not need that elusive FPS. They have a ridiculous big library of games and talented studios to make other top games. Not having that FPS from their own studios doesn’t even matter. They have a lot of them from 3rd parties.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Now get outta here.

Death stranding what an experience

Knack yeah shit but its knack

Infaumos...well if ghost is good sure focus on that

Uncharted i agree but maybe if it goes the way of god of war more open we want it now

Gravity never played

Killzone if it goes back to how it was in killzone 1 and 2 with more open ended levels something like prey was it would be dope.

Call of duty and co now you can take that shit and never come back

play it … please , please...PLEASE

NahaNago

A sequel to infamous second son is what I have been waiting for, for most of this gen. Second son felt like a tech demo for the ps4 so I was really hoping for them to expand/ improve that world.

Top Bottom