• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A History of Horror video by Diego Carrera

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So basically the same story is on here twice, right?
The Thing from Another World 1951
The Thing 1982

They're both adaptations of John W. Campbell's 1938 story "Who Goes There?"

I guess Dracula and others are repeated. Hmm. I wonder how many repeats there are.

So basically the same story is on here twice, right?
The Thing from Another World 1951
The Thing 1982

They're both adaptations of John W. Campbell's 1938 story "Who Goes There?"

Yeah, but they're super different adaptations. Carpenter's is much closer to the actual text.

lordxar

Yeah, but they're super different adaptations. Carpenter's is much closer to the actual text.

And 51 looked like a shit year for horror where 82 had more competition but The Thing is arguably one of the best horror movies ever made so it's automatic in my book.

Thanks for this Lordxar, I'm looking forward to watching all the videos.

Definitely better than Dracula.

I watched Jekyll and Hyde during last year's 31 days of horror. It trumps Dracula in every single category. Hell, Fredric March even won an Oscar for playing the titular roles. Great film.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Great video. I have almost seen everything since the 70s and I am baffled that there is no Friday the 13th, but that was an amazing piece.
Really loved it. He should do more with other generes.

Also I cant understand why I haven seet Bay of Blood yet. Really need go into Bava now.

Ridley327

Surprised by the lack of Friday the 13th. All of Jason's buddies made the list. Freddy, Alien, Leatherface, Pinhead and Myers.

It's a popular series, but let's be honest: it's a shameless ripoff of several different sources and it's never had a particularly iconic entry that could stand toe-to-toe with any of the films in the 80s portion. I'm not as big on ANoES as a lot of people are, and it's clearly batting in a different league than Friday the 13th does on even its best day.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's a popular series, but let's be honest: it's a shameless ripoff of several different sources and it's never had a particularly iconic entry that could stand toe-to-toe with any of the films in the 80s portion. I'm not as big on ANoES as a lot of people are, and it's clearly batting in a different league than Friday the 13th does on even its best day.
Friday was the most successful horrorfranchise of its time.
Literally everyone combines the mask with a slasher killer. It deserves a listening because of his place in popculture 100x more then a couple of other movies.

lordxar

Literally everyone combines the mask with a slasher killer. It deserves a listening because of his place in popculture 100x more then a couple of other movies.

Here's what you'd have to choose over:

The Shining 1980
The Evil Dead 1981
The Thing 1982
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
Re-Animator 1985
The Fly 1986
They Live 1988
Tetsuo: The Iron Man 1989
Cronos 1993
The Others 2001

I definitely don't see F13th 1, 2 or 3 beating the Shining, Evil Dead, the Thing or even 4 beating ANoES. Maybe something later but then your in Manhatten or space which were not as...loved as others so I could see leaving it out. Tough choices for sure. Put in something shitty or kick out something really good.

The iconic Jason isn't even in the only one even worth considering putting on a list like this tho (the first) and it's still not a particularly good movie

lordxar

Sometimes the cultural impact is more important then quality.

Would have kicked The Shining without a second thought.

giphy.gif

Ridley327

Literally everyone combines the mask with a slasher killer.
It deserves a listening because of his place in popculture 100x more then a couple of other movies.

Which was an aspect Halloween already did. All Jason added to the mix was a mask you could buy year-round instead of just Halloween.

lordxar

I watched Satan’s Rhapsody (1917) the other day. That one wasn't so much horror but I'm guessing it made the list because it had a Mephisto/Devil in it. Which actually I kind of dug the makeup the guy wore even though it really only amounted to like high, pointy eyebrows. Somehow that seems effective though. Like he's a normalish looking dude instead of some winged nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom