• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at The Last of Us: Examining its Defining Motif; or Much Ado About [Spoilers]

OP, you knocked this thread out of the park. I would most certainly be interested in other essays and theories you write down the line. I am the type who plays a game and sees what is in front of me, not a deep thinker. Next time I play through TLOU I will be looking for all the giraffes I missed.

Good job.

It's cool because, once you know they're there, you can almost anticipate them coming. Before I found the giraffes in Winter, I thought there were intentionally none there. But when I found the missing giraffe, in Andrew's Arcade, it made perfect sense that it would be there.

Like, of course it's in the arcade! Arcades are important to Ellie. It's possible there are even more giraffes in the game I never found, but I will say with confidence that I think I found them all.

Tremendous.

I wonder if the fact that the giraffe is the only animal born with horns symbolises the protagonists' survival instinct, Ellie's in particular.

Somebody pointed out earlier in this thread that giraffes are a crazy example of Darwinian adaptability. Over time, they developed their bizarre features to ensure their existence. In other words, giraffes as a species continually adapted to their environmental circumstances as to "endure and survive."

We know from an interview that the giraffes were originally going to be zebras, but they wanted something stranger and more alien. So it's unclear if these details were considered when giraffes were selected, but that doesn't change the fact that they are loaded with that symbolism. Accidental or not.

Javin98

Banned
Holy shit! This is one of the best threads on GAF! I've played the part with David many times, but never once noticed the symbols in the steakhouse. Great job, OP.

Wow at the steakhouse analysis. For me it was one of the better crafted atmospheres in the game. Tensional, bloody, really like hell, and that even without considering the motifs and details of the scenery you mentioned (and i didn't catched, except for the fire).

This is great, because it proves the power of the set. It stirred up the intended feelings in you as a player. It doesn't matter if you were acutely aware of every detail of the space, because in summation they still caused you to feel a certain emotion and react to a certain environment.

That is great art. To create emotion or incite thought in the audience. Very few games succeed in the way Last of Us can with a properly engaged player. Art can make you react without having to break down the parts and wonder why. That's part of what qualifies Last of Us.

Holy shit! This is one of the best threads on GAF! I've played the part with David many times, but never once noticed the symbols in the steakhouse. Great job, OP.

The David sequence is so tense because, like Ellie, you are looking for David. Your attention is unified with her. You're not taking the time to look at the patterns on the floor or read the banners. You're trying not to get killed. There is so much fear in that sequence (even if it sometimes manifests as frustration in the disconnected player). But how the whole set comes together for the greater, deeper meaning is revelatory, really.

Logged in to simply say that this is the best thread I've read in a long time.

Thanks so much. This thread has thousands upon thousands of views, but only 150 comments. So your feedback means a lot to me as a writer. Thank you for taking the time.

Javin98

Banned
The David sequence is so tense because, like Ellie, you are looking for David. Your attention is unified with her. You're not taking the time to look at the patterns on the floor or read the banners. You're trying not to get killed. There is so much fear in that sequence (even if it sometimes manifests as frustration in the disconnected player). But how the whole set comes together for the greater, deeper meaning is revelatory, really.
Yeah, this pretty much. Every time I play that part, I'm always so focused on finding David that I have no time to observe the surroundings. Regardless, that scene always seemed very dark to me. The music, the place and most importantly, being stalked by a killer. Now I realize that it is the very symbol of Hell for Ellie. Great job, man, I hope you keep these wonderful analyses. I'm going to spend the day reading this thread. Thanks a lot :)

ehhh...i feel like this is reaching.

i mean, most of the game has something going on. you can pretty much put a giraffe anywhere and it would "mean something" no matter how it is placed or no matter where it is.

especially that "fallen" giraffe vs the giraffe that sits on top of the comic book.

i mean, most of the game has something going on. you can pretty much put a giraffe anywhere and it would "mean something" no matter how it is placed or no matter where it is.

especially that "fallen" giraffe vs the giraffe that sits on top of the comic book.

I hate the "reaching" claim. I've talked about this in other threads. It's not like I'm claiming the giraffes are phallic images to represent Joel and Ellie's suppressed sexual desires, here. It's not reaching if you can make an argument from the text, which I feel I do.

However, I appreciate that you took the time to read the thread and comment. Thank you for that.

I get where you're coming from, with the story having enough plot points to potentially always foreshadow something. But I would reinforce the instances of clearer imagery - such as the giraffe in Sarah's room compared to the similar young girl clutching the giraffe in Boston. The imagery here is clearer, I would argue, and less likely to be vested in my own interpretations of the text. The fact that giraffes are overall meaningful to the story suggests a conscious construction of the dolls and images, especially given the consistency with which they are placed. I take some personal liberties with interpretations (nothing I don't attempt to support as well), but a lot of what I present is pretty straight forward.

For example, the photos of the giraffes are only placed in locations inhabited by children. They are never used in the dorms in Colorado, where a handful of photos are used that are repeated throughout the game. They are the only photos that don't repeat.

You might check out the Todd's Steakhouse update if you're interested in something more concrete.

Javin98

Banned

The thing is, a giraffe is not just put "anywhere". Just as the OP has proven, the giraffes are placed in very specific areas, usually before an emotional scene takes place or to foreshadow the fate of some of the characters. The OP has proven this numerous times. The best example would be right after meeting Sam and Henry. There were two instances of giraffe imagery within five minutes of meeting them. Tell me that's a coincidence. And the update for Todd's Steakhouse seems spot on. Every symbolism there seems to be correspond to the symbolism of Hell. So, IMO, this is not reaching.

P.S. Threads like these should be the norm on GAF. Instead, we get downgrade and platform wars threads that make GAF look like Youtube sometimes.

The thing is, a giraffe is not just put "anywhere". Just as the OP has proven, the giraffes are placed in very specific areas, usually before an emotional scene takes place or to foreshadow the fate of some of the characters. The OP has proven this numerous times. The best example would be right after meeting Sam and Henry. There were two instances of giraffe imagery within five minutes of meeting them. Tell me that's a coincidence. And the update for Todd's Steakhouse seems spot on. Every symbolism there seems to be correspond to the symbolism of Hell. So, IMO, this is not reaching.

P.S. Threads like these should be the norm on GAF. Instead, we get downgrade and platform wars threads that make GAF look like Youtube sometimes.

Thanks so much, Javin. Not because you agree with me, but for being present in the thread and showing that I have an audience for the effort I put into this stuff. Other people have defended my interpretations in the past, but none as well as you've done. I welcome and encourage all comments in my threads, both supportive and critical, but being validated by a reader is what I live for.

I also agree that GAF should foster more threads like this and less about downgrades and preorders. I believe there is an audience for this kind of conversation and, if it's anywhere, it's on GAF. You are evidence of that.

The hero is you!

Wow this is amazing!!! I've played through this several times and I noticed a few giraffes but not to this extent. Amazing thread OP great job.

Javin98

Banned
Thanks so much, Javin. Not because you agree with me, but for being present in the thread and showing that I have an audience for the effort I put into this stuff. Other people have defended my interpretations in the past, but none as well as you've done. I welcome and encourage all comments in my threads, both supportive and critical, but being validated by a reader is what I live for.

I also agree that GAF should foster more threads like this and less about downgrades and preorders. I believe there is an audience for this kind of conversation and, if it's anywhere, it's on GAF. You are evidence of that.

The hero is you!
Haha, thanks, but no, really, you're the hero. My feeble mind was nowhere close to decrypting all those hidden messages ND hid in this game. I did find several giraffes, but I never saw them to be this impactful. And like I said before, I completely missed all those symbols in the steakhouse. So, this thread is your hard work and you deserve the praise. I can understand the feeling when too few people appreciate your hard work. It's simply horrible, which is why I frequently extend my appreciation to those who put out good info on a smaller scale. I eagerly await the next update. :)

Wow this is amazing!!! I've played through this several times and I noticed a few giraffes but not to this extent. Amazing thread OP great job.

I love to hear how many giraffes players noticed in their own playthroughs, and if they thought anything of them. Some people say they never noticed any of them, and others like you definitely caught some. But I don't think any deeper meaning starts to occur to the player until they've really started to see them over and over, which usually requires multiple playthroughs.

Renpatsu

Hey OP, just wanted to chime in here and say that your analysis is definitely appreciated even if discussion within the thread itself isn't as active as you may have hoped.

Your posts and James Howell's video analysis of The Last of Us are what I point to whenever people doubt the sheer thought and consideration that went into crafting the narrative and presentation of the game.

elfinke

What a terrific conclusion to this thread, Finale Fireworker! As others have said, this is a most splendid thread, one that stands tall on this forum among the more common, uninspired dreck-filled threads. It feels a little like a behind the scenes, and I'd love to see someone from ND comment, or acknowledge your interpretations, right or wrong.

It must be incredibly fulfilling for the set designers, writers and everyone else at ND to see this kind of almost esoteric, or forensic examination of their work.

I have thought for some time that there is a real missed opportunity in the gaming industry to sell 'behind the scenes', or 'lifting the (design) veil' content to consumers, instead of statues, artworks or lame DLC. Books, or videos (much like the documentary Double Fine have been putting together in line with the creation of Broken Age, I guess) that go into the nitty gritty of design, and not just artwork and concepts. And it's not for trying or lack of interest: Geoff Keighley's 'Final Hours...' are amazing, lauded and popular pieces of work. Gamasutra often have similar, smaller scale things, too.

I also have written and intend to write on BioShock, which is one of my favorite games. I believe BioShock is the most textually rich game made to date.

My intended topics, now that this one is complete, are Luigi's Mansion and a full-fledged return to BioShock. I hope to see you there.

Either of these would be magnificent!

What a terrific conclusion to this thread, Finale Fireworker! As others have said, this is a most splendid thread, one that stands tall on this forum among the more common, uninspired dreck-filled threads. It feels a little like a behind the scenes, and I'd love to see someone from ND comment, or acknowledge your interpretations, right or wrong.

It must be incredibly fulfilling for the set designers, writers and everyone else at ND to see this kind of almost esoteric, or forensic examination of their work.

I have thought for some time that there is a real missed opportunity in the gaming industry to sell 'behind the scenes', or 'lifting the (design) veil' content to consumers, instead of statues, artworks or lame DLC. Books, or videos (much like the documentary Double Fine have been putting together in line with the creation of Broken Age, I guess) that go into the nitty gritty of design, and not just artwork and concepts. And it's not for trying or lack of interest: Geoff Keighley's 'Final Hours...' are amazing, lauded and popular pieces of work. Gamasutra often have similar, smaller scale things, too.

I remember when I first played Portal (late, in 2011), I was shocked to see developer commentary. I played through the game again hunting the commentary, learning about the game and its production, and asked myself why more games didn't do this. It was so interesting, and game development generates so much material that people love to read about. Sites like Unseen64 and The Cutting Room Floor fulfill this curiosity in fans. But developers really don't.

There have been other games that have done commentary, thankfully. Double Fine, like you mentioned, is so great about this.

I have a working list of all the threads I want to make. Most are things I could write right now and not have to replay the games, but it usually helps if I do. Especially since I need the pictures.

Writing about the narrative purity of Luigi's Mansion, for example, is a much smaller undertaking than something like this thread. The game is smaller, my angle is less in depth, and I know the whole game very well. But to get pictures for what I need I would have to replay it, and to take the screenshots I would have to either play on an emulator or set up a capture device. So threads sit in my head (or half written on my computer) until I have the time to gather all my resources.

I might have to write about BioShock Infinite next, because I have a short thread about the justification of vigors completely written already and the pictures I need are easily acquired. But there is one line of dialog that I know is in the game, but I can't remember where it is. And I really need to know exactly where it is so I can be thorough and quote it correctly. So that is tripping me up while I try to find it, which is tough because I don't actually own the game anymore.

But I really want to pick up the pace of these threads. This one was a huge undertaking, much bigger than most topics will be, and it took several months to properly complete. I really want to diversity my portfolio, but it's easier to write about games I still own.

Hey OP, just wanted to chime in here and say that your analysis is definitely appreciated even if discussion within the thread itself isn't as active as you may have hoped.

Your posts and James Howell's video analysis of The Last of Us are what I point to whenever people doubt the sheer thought and consideration that went into crafting the narrative and presentation of the game.

Thank you! I wanted this thread to be something people cited and referred to in their own conversations, and I've seen it linked a few times, which makes me feel great. I've never heard anything from ND themselves, which is expected, but having the respect of readers is the most important thing to me.

I am happy to contribute to the permanent preservation of games as a narrative medium and art form.

Please do.

The BioShock 1 topic on deck is on the innocence of Big Daddies as the only living thing in Rapture with no selfish interests. It is paired with a defense for the "post-twist" part of the game, which is oft criticized, as being essential to bring justice to the Big Daddy as a figure. It's built on the theme of what constitutes a "monster" and who the actual monster(s) of Rapture is.

I'm really excited to post it, because it's been done forever, but I have to replay the game so I can get all the quotes and screens I need.

My laptop can actually run BioShock 1 so I may get excited and do this one next after all.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thread is too long for the casual reader and the front page moves too fast for any visibility. Future threads will have to be shorter to be more accessible.

This is what it sounds like when doves cry.

Please don't dumb down your posts. I love to read them, however long they are.

I can't wait for your analysis on SH2 and Bioshock. They're both classics.

Please don't dumb down your posts. I love to read them, however long they are.

I can't wait for your analysis on SH2 and Bioshock. They're both classics.

I would definitely not dumb them down. I'm doing the Superman thing (set the ideal others may strive for) and hoping readers will be attracted to my stuff, whether they agree or disagree, because of its elevated form. There is not a lot of writing on games like this at all. So it's also experimental to see how big of an audience I can find. For now it's still just a hobby/passion, so NeoGAF is fine. But I did buy a domain I will launch soon as an archive.

I will definitely be having smaller, shorter subjects coming up. Maybe as long as the Todd's Steakhouse update, for example, just because of the material I am writing about. But I don't intend to lower the reading level. I don't think they're particularly demanding as they currently stand, so long as people take the time to read them and not reply on impulse. Thankfully, this thread has been successful despite its length.

Thanks so much for your support.

Squozen

Thanks for this. It feels to me like symbolism in games is always much more hit-and-miss than in films as the creator can't control where the player is pointing the camera or how much time they're spending in an environment (cutscenes excluded of course).

Thanks for this. It feels to me like symbolism in games is always much more hit-and-miss than in films as the creator can't control where the player is pointing the camera or how much time they're spending in an environment (cutscenes excluded of course).

This is the double-edged sword of game environments. Video games allow for incredibly rich, detailed environments to explore, allowing developers to create really astounding worlds and scenes through environmental storytelling.

However, it's completely on the player whether they stop and look or not. A player can run right through a game, not looking at anything, skipping rooms or not taking in any scenery, and all that work is lost.

But I think, especially as games are becoming so much more high definition and detailed, players are getting trained to look a little closer. And even if it's only that little bit longer of a look, it's enough to discover something meaningful.

It's one thing to create a mood or a feeling based on an environment, which can be accomplished even if the player is not paying close attention. But it's another to allow some kind of discovery when that time is taken. The notion that if you don't stop and smell the roses you might miss them all together is an encouraging one. If developers have an attention to detail, players will too.

Meaty

I love this thread and your insights in general (in other threads too, I tend to agree with your opinion on things).

I just didnt have anything to add to the discussion so I didnt post before, but I saw today the Giraffic Park that poster on page one mentioned. Not in-game mind you, but check Concept Art Gallery 1, picture number 7.

Cheers and keep your writing up op

I love this thread and your insights in general (in other threads too, I tend to agree with your opinion on things).

I just didnt have anything to add to the discussion so I didnt post before, but I saw today the Giraffic Park that poster on page one mentioned. Not in-game mind you, but check Concept Art Gallery 1, picture number 7.

Cheers and keep your writing up op

Thanks a lot, Meaty.

I really should add the Giraffic Park concept art, just for the sake of completeness. It may not be in the game, but for the novelty, it should he documented. I'll probably add a picture to the OP.

Memento

My account has finally activated and I would like my first post to be in this thread! After all, it is this very thread that made me create one. A symbolic gesture for a thread about symbolism, sounds about right! You know, it is very frustrating to stalk everything without being able to take part in the conversation, and the activation process is very long (I do understand the reasons though), but I'm very happy that finally I get to be an official Gaffer now! Errr, I'm getting off-topic! Hahah, sorry.

But yeah, I don't think I can add anything more really. You got everything covered and made me even more fan of this game than before, which I thought it was impossible considering The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time! You know, this game is really something else, it is the very definition of the word ''special'' IMO. Everything blends together with such mastery that the cringe-worthy ''Naughty Gods'' term becomes actually very fitting hahah!

Anyways, thanks for posting this and congrats for the amazing write-up! It is users such as you that make this forum so enchanting! Also, don't you think it would be nice to have Bruce/Neil to comment on it? I don't have a twitter, but I think they are very active on it, so maybe you could link your analysis to them? Just a thought, because I think it would be very rewarding to them to see that there are people that pay attention to these sort of tiny (yet very meaningful) details!

PS: Sorry for any grammatical errors, english is not my native language and I am not used to write in english on the internet >.<

Discovered this thread today randomly from LiK's tag. I hate to necrobump but I just have to say, this is incredible analysis. I never noticed how prominently giraffe imagery is used throughout the game (although I definitely noticed a couple on my second and third playthroughs). While I think symbolism is easy to overanalyze and misattribute, your points are incredibly solid, OP. I've found myself thinking of the game again in ways I haven't for quite some time.

I love reading extensive analysis and critique like this of games, especially when they're as rich and deliberate as TLOU.

Xenoblade

I love to hear how many giraffes players noticed in their own playthroughs, and if they thought anything of them. Some people say they never noticed any of them, and others like you definitely caught some. But I don't think any deeper meaning starts to occur to the player until they've really started to see them over and over, which usually requires multiple playthroughs.

I didn't notice them, which is what made this thread all the more amazing. I just hope I don't get crucified for bumping an old thread.

Top Bottom