• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Studio AAA by ACTIVISION announced ELSEWHERE

Darsxx82

Activision has announced the formation of Elsewhere Entertainment, a new studio it says will focus on developing a "narrative-based and genre-defining AAA franchise."
Elsewhere Entertainment, which is based in Warsaw, is Activision's second Polish studio after the Krakow-based Infinity Ward Poland. The studio has been working behind the scenes up until now, and this is its first public unveiling.

According to the blog post revealing the new studio, Elsewhere Entertainment's team includes "storytelling experts" who have previously worked on franchises including The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher, Cyberpunk, Destiny, The Division, and Far Cry. It is currently recruiting developers in hopes of creating a "state-of-the-art and next-generation gaming experience," which IGN understands is not a Call of Duty-related project.

Little else is known about Elsewhere Entertainment's first franchise, though the post does mention that the studio hopes to "craft a franchise with an enduring legacy that resonates far beyond games." That would seem to point to a transmedia franchise that will try to replicate the success of The Last of Us and Fallout, or maybe just get its own theme park.

To this point, Activision has mostly been known for its work on the Call of Duty series, with Crash Bandicoot developer Toys for Bob opting to go independent following the Xbox acquisition. In addition to the Crash Bandicoot games, Activision Publishing has also released Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Destiny.

Elsewhere Entertainment's opening stands out in an industry that has lately been rocked by layoffs. Last week, Activision Blizzard parent company Microsoft closed multiple studios including Tango Gameworks and Arkane Austin. Activision Blizzard was also impacted by layoffs in the early part of 2024, with Blizzard being particularly affected.

It's unclear when Elsewhere Entertainment's game will be released, though based on existing development timelines it's likely to be a few years yet. In the meantime, Activision appears to be preparing to reveal the next Call of Duty at next month's Xbox Showcase, which is set for June 9.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interesting.

What you need to know​

• Microsoft subsidiary Activision revealed a new studio today, dubbed Elsewhere Entertainment.
  • The firm is comprised of industry vets, boasting credits in games like The Last of Us and The Witcher 3.
  • Activision also revealed a new vacancies website for Elsewhere, which will host career options in the coming todays.
  • The studio is working on a "narrative based" game in a totally new AAA franchise.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did anything come of that ftc case or did it get laughed out of court. I thought it was Feb or March but we haven't heard anything?

Activision has announced the formation of Elsewhere Entertainment, a new studio it says will focus on developing a "narrative-based and genre-defining AAA franchise."
According to the blog post revealing the new studio, Elsewhere Entertainment's team includes "storytelling experts" who have previously worked on franchises including The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher, Cyberpunk, Destiny, The Division, and Far Cry. It is currently recruiting developers in hopes of creating a "state-of-the-art and next-generation gaming experience,"

14a.jpg

Darsxx82

Interesting.

What you need to know​

• Microsoft subsidiary Activision revealed a new studio today, dubbed Elsewhere Entertainment.
  • The firm is comprised of industry vets, boasting credits in games like The Last of Us and The Witcher 3.
  • Activision also revealed a new vacancies website for Elsewhere, which will host career options in the coming todays.
  • The studio is working on a "narrative based" game in a totally new AAA franchise.
It sounds like a Studio with great ambition and having its headquarters in Poland makes sense to me because it is a place where high-level developers are concentrated and the costs there are lower.....

Elbereth

Interesting.

What you need to know​

Keep Talking Idris Elba GIF

Embearded

The biggest surprise is Activision focusing on a narrative driven single player game, that's not their usual MO last bunch of years.
The optimist inside me thinks tha a nicely presented idea on a sunny morning after the suits had their dicks sucked home, would get the green light even at Activision.

intbal

So MS/Activision has enough money to create a new game development studio halfway around the world, but not enough to pay a room full of interns to playtest games from the back catalog so they can add more games to the Backwards Compatible list.
Right.

adamsapple

So MS/Activision has enough money to create a new game development studio halfway around the world, but not enough to pay a room full of interns to playtest games from the back catalog so they can add more games to the Backwards Compatible list.
Right.

The BC program was ended, when it was, because of licensing or technical constraints. I'm not seeing the overlap here lol

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What a great name for a studio, inspired by the question of whether their games are Xbox exclusive or available.......

kensama

It seems to be a reboot of "The Initiative".

Same description of the studio newly formed like "The Initiative" without the AAAA gimmick

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is currently recruiting developers in hopes of creating a "state-of-the-art and next-generation gaming experience,"
Lol good luck.

this is why you dont close out studios. You burn bridges with devs who see how you discard talent like an aborted fetus. No one in their right mind would go join this team. They will get c tier talent at best. People who cant find jobs elsewhere.

Darsxx82

Lol good luck.

this is why you dont close out studios. You burn bridges with devs who see how you discard talent like an aborted fetus. No one in their right mind would go join this team. They will get c tier talent at best. People who cant find jobs elsewhere.
Studio has been created for some time now.... And I do not believe that a Studio of the size assumed, guided by people of high caliber and great curriculum, is going to be in danger of being closed in the short term. Even more so in Poland where costs are exaggeratedly lower...

We will see

Last edited:

adamsapple

ah yes another one of these "comprised with legendary, well known, industry vets, dogs, cats, janitor" new formed studio

Not even a week ago you were happy about another new studio from ex CoD developers.

I thought its between blundell and his partner and nothing to do with Sony?

Nonetheless, i have a feeling itll work this time

prayer GIF

Wonder what's different about it now
200w.gif

sendit

A studio announcement from Microsoft comprised of industry vets and no cool intro video like The Initiative?

Last edited:

AzekZero

ah yes another one of these "comprised with legendary, well known, industry vets, dogs, cats, janitor" new formed studio
I remember when that Immortals of Aveum trailer went out and I started researching this unknown developer full of industry vets.

Ex-Sledgehammer? Making a singleplayer CoD-style campaign? No thanks!

Top Bottom