• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

J@hranimo

Banned
Some "professionals" in here making claims :p

This is really neat, but I'm waiting on Spawn Wave's teardown since he knows what he's talking about.

KAL2006

Banned
Does anyone know if the active cooling turns on in portable mode?

If it doesn't then there is a chance of a portable only Switch in a smaller form factor without the active cooling included.

So this confirms 2 RAM modules right? I guess the bus width is still unknown?

Anyway the Foxconn leaker also said 2 RAM modules and got the L shaped heat pipe right, so that should honestly remove any doubt that it's a legit leak. Not that the clock speeds or process node has been confirmed yet, but this should prove that the guy had access to the hardware back in November.

If it doesn't then there is a chance of a portable only Switch in a smaller form factor without the active cooling included.

We've had reports from various demos where the fan does indeed run in portable mode.

NeOak

It should turn on because it needs to prevent throttling.

Not happening.

newbong95

So this confirms 2 RAM modules right? I guess the bus width is still unknown?

Anyway the Foxconn leaker also said 2 RAM modules and got the L shaped heat pipe right, so that should honestly remove any doubt that it's a legit leak. Not that the clock speeds or process node has been confirmed yet, but this should prove that the guy had access to the hardware back in November.

If the chip is 20nm then its 64bit , or if its 16nm like the new tegra pascal then 128bit

gogogow

None of these examples have active cooling are much bigger form factors and much pricier.

Active cooling is a big deal the internals have to be designed around that.

Surface Pro 4. Its a lot bigger, so it can hold a bigger battery, but otherwise, it's very similar to the Switch's design.

surface-pro-4-battery-inside_large.jpg

It'll almost certainly be required in portable mode in some circumstances (even if only occasionally). If it was just required when docked, they could have saved themselves a lot of hassle by putting the cooling in the dock rather than the handheld.

random25

Wrong. It's for weight distribution.

It's for weight distribution of a much huge battery. Is splitting a 4000mAh something battery into two makes it more convenient when it's inherently not that heavy in the first place? Of course you'll do that to a much heavier and much higher heat dissipating 10000mAh like in the iPad Pro.

Plus, the Switch is a much smaller device as compared to a 9inch tablet that it does not require sophisticated weight distribution and higher battery capacity.

KAL2006

Banned
It should turn on because it needs to prevent throttling.

Not happening.

Oh well, then chances of a smaller form factor Switch is unlikely unless they have several low battery life or they some how manager to get a more efficient chip.

MrT-Tar

The more and more I see and read about the Switch, the more impressed I am with it technologically.

I'm honestly considering it at the level of the GC and PSP at the moment.

NeOak

It's for weight distribution of a much huge battery. Is splitting a 4000mAh something battery into two makes it more convenient when it's inherently not that heavy in the first place? Of course you'll do that to a much heavier and much higher heat dissipating 10000mAh like in the iPad Pro.

Yes. When you hold things in your hand, you are way more sensitive to uneven weight.

Thinner devices make it more noticeable.

And you're right. The switch doesn't need it, not does it has the space for it.

Was it ever in question the Foxconn leaker had access to the hardware? I always believed that they saw the hardware, but I never believed a lot of the speculative specs given.

KAL2006

Banned
Surface Pro 4. Its a lot bigger, so it can hold a bigger battery, but otherwise, it's very similar to the Switch's design.

Surface Pro 4 is £650 here in the UK which is more than double the price of a Switch. This is also much bigger. I think Nintendo did the best they could with this system.

Was it ever in question the Foxconn leaker had access to the hardware? I always believed that they saw the hardware, but I never believed a lot of the speculative specs given.

Yeah everyone ignored it as nonsense until the January presentation when they unveiled the neon Joycons and the battery size. Him claiming a 1080p screen and a 4g model (possible assumptions/mistranslations) were pretty big red flags back then.

Yeah everyone ignored it as nonsense until the January presentation when they unveiled the neon Joycons and the battery size. Him claiming a 1080p screen and a 4g model (possible assumptions/mistranslations) were pretty big red flags back then.

Interesting. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Carry on :p

NeOak

Inb4 "Nintendo Switch LTE, only on AT&T"

unrealist

Looks really good with a excellent battery size to boot. However, I bet like most other threads, someone will eventually find something negative to say about it. Let me kickstart it .. "Wow it looks really horrible on the inside! Why couldn't Nintendo fit 2 more fans and 3 more batteries inside! It's repeating the same mistakes as Wii U!"

Xdrive05

And the dock??

Nothing yet. Almost everything we know suggests the dock is nothing more than an interface passthrough to carry the USB signals. The exception being that someone did claim there may be an NFC like chip in the dock that signals to the Switch to output its video as docked mode.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Some "professionals" in here making claims :p

This is really neat, but I'm waiting on Spawn Wave's teardown since he knows what he's talking about.
Nah. Well, like the most of us, he's clearly not an electonic engineer.

NeOak

Looks really good with a excellent battery size to boot. However, I bet like most other threads, someone will eventually find something negative to say about it. Let me kickstart it .. "Wow it looks really horrible on the inside! Why couldn't Nintendo fit 2 more fans and 3 more batteries inside! It's repeating the same mistakes as Wii U!"
You haven't read the thread then.

Interesting. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Carry on :p

Hence the "Curious Case of the Foxconn Leak" thread popping up, since it was dismissed very quickly back in November.

Inb4 "Nintendo Switch LTE, only on AT&T"

I think the 4g model was only for a specific devkit they were building. Another theory was he mixed up a sim card slot with a microSD card slot. Either way he got way too many things right (as we can see now) for anyone to doubt that he at least had access to the hardware.

I could see that as having been meant as 1080p output

And the dock??

I presume you're asking with regards to what may or may not necessarily make the unit proprietary?

Hence the "Curious Case of the Foxconn Leak" thread popping up, since it was dismissed very quickly back in November.

I always knew the 1080p screen was bullshit (for obvious reasons) but a lot of the stuff he/she were talking about were detailed enough that I always assumed they had seen the hardware. But I never bought into the idea they had clock speeds and some of the more complex stuff you would have needed software to know.

I still don't but it's interesting to say the least.

Top Bottom