• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamina

Golden Boy
But I did see it. That is why I'm annoyed. And you said it isn't a spoiler so why the D: ?
And now you dug it up to effectively spoil it for other people. Please stop, as nothing you say about the original poster from this point on can not be considered anything else than hyperbolic anymore.

Sean Murray is so great and it depresses me that people are getting on his case.

One thing you have to understand about this man is that he's so creative. He's so creative that his mind is going a mile a minute and sometimes it gets ahead of itself so he tells a few lies. There's nothing wrong with that.

He's the best kind of person for this dying industry filled with sequels. I think people getting on his case is making him sad. A sad Sean is something I hope I never have to see. If Sean is sad, I'm sad.

He invented an amazing game and, even though that amazing game never actually existed outside of his own head, he ended up making one that is still kinda fine.

So what if he repeated lies over and over again interview after interview? So what if he won't own up to it and let us know what the game is actually capable of? Would it better if he didn't lie through his teeth while grinning at us like a jackass? Of course it would. But that smile of his melts my heart and that's worth something. Like, $60.

Anyway, this whole witch hunt is making me ill. Sean Murray is no witch. He's just an honest liar.

Zomba13

And now you dug it up to effectively spoil it for other people. Please stop, as nothing you can say about the original poster from this point on can not be considered anything else than hyperbolic anymore.

Well I was told it wasn't a spoiler! When someone says that, who would know if it was or wasn't, then what else should you do?

Shari

Sean Murray is so great and it depresses me that people are getting on his case.

One thing you have to understand about this man is that he's so creative. He's so creative that his mind is going a mile a minute and sometimes it gets ahead of itself so he tells a few lies. There's nothing wrong with that.

He's the best kind of person for this dying industry filled with sequels. I think people getting on his case is making him sad. A sad Sean is something I hope I never have to see. If Sean is sad, I'm sad.

He invented an amazing game and, even though that amazing game never actually existed outside of his own head, he ended up making one that is still kinda fine.

So what if he repeated lies over and over again interview after interview? So what if he won't own up to it and let us know what the game is actually capable of? Would it better if he didn't lie through his teeth while grinning at us like a jackass? Of course it would. But that smile of his melts my heart and that's worth something. Like, $60.

Anyway, this whole witch hunt is making me ill. Sean Murray is no witch. He's just a honest liar.

The thread has reached a level where it took me a second read to understand this was sarcasm. I'm not kidding.

as an outsider- don't have the game, don't think it's for me- the fact that this thread is this big is fucking hilarious. i'd take it from his tweets it's something they're working on.

the fact that he hasn't said anything else and everyone continues to melt about it is strangely satisfying, though.

And now you dug it up to effectively spoil it for other people. Please stop, as anything you say about the original poster from this point on can not be considered anything else than hyperbolic anymore.

But if we were told it's not a spoiler in the first place then what would there be to "dig up"? Therefore it is a damn spoiler.

Well I was told it wasn't a spoiler! When someone says that, who would know if it was or wasn't, then what else should you do?

This!

Darryl

Banned
You have been arguing theres MP in the game for two days and then the contrary once you've realized like everyone else that there ain't any in the way it was said over and over.

You keep hanging all you want to that march video, you have one video from march and people are arguing about tweets that are not a week old, you dont have a point as you didnt a few days ago either.

Again, you are not bothered by the childish behaviour, you are just defending the game at any cost, having you change your argument as the time passes has proven that much.

it's eerie to see people doing it so transparently. I've seen some of the most shameless arguments in here to try to persuade others that it isn't a big deal. The one on the last page about "creatives dreaming big" was a winner. It's really been entertaining to watch the diehard fans of this game spin away. I can't even imagine what is going on in their heads.

Anyway, this whole witch hunt is making me ill. Sean Murray is no witch. He's just a honest liar.

So liars are good for the industry?

Ooooooookkkkkkkaaayyyyy...

as an outsider- don't have the game, don't think it's for me- the fact that this thread is this big is fucking hilarious. i'd take it from his tweets it's something they're working on.

the fact that he hasn't said anything else and everyone continues to melt about it is strangely satisfying, though.

Most people aren't even angry or melting. Most people just think it's hilarious that Sean/Hello still haven't cleared this whole thing up, and are tremendously entertained watching all the people defending them contort in all these weird directions, "m-maybe this, maybe that...?"

xam3l

I was trying to explain the situation to someone at work just now and used this analogy because some people don't understand the nuances of games, got the absurdity of the situation across quite well I think.

Car manufacturer before release: "Top speed of the car is 200MPH! Though it's not very likely anyone will ever hit that, it can do it though!"

Car is released

Testers: "The car only goes 165MPH and it takes like 3 minutes to get there"

Car Manufacturer: "Mind is blown anyone actually tried it! That gas pedal sure does work! WOW"

Anti Car audience: "YOU LIED"

Pro Car audience: "Come on guys, how many people were really excited because they thought it would hit 200, that wasn't the focus of the car, how many people are really going to use that feature?"

Manufacturer: $$$$

EDIT: Analogy is improved if, instead of a car, this whole thing occurs with a mini-van.

Very bad analogy. It would be true if the content of the game was cut by an half.

Again, it's not a gamebreaker. Its peripheral to the game itself.

I would not be shocked if this is a result of lousy PSN/PS+ servers.

Not requiring a PS+ subscription makes me wonder if Sony allotted NMS really crappy servers for the PS4 version.

If the PC versions wind up working flawlessly and let you see other people, then all the hate aimed at Sean would shift right over to Sony.

It would also make some sense that Sean hasn't responded yet - if the ball is in Sony's court, so far as the servers not holding up, Sean may have to defer all those "Online Features" questions to Sony. There may be some sort of conflict of interest there that Sean can't engage in with Sony due to legal language.

If he says, "Sorry guys. Sony's servers are struggling with demand; that's why you can't see each other.", it'll push customers over to the PC version, thus pissing off Sony and losing some sales.

I'm not saying "ignore all comments". I'm saying that if you're being a conscientious consumer, you wouldn't give someone money for a product until you're certain of what it is.

But it seems like people are selectively ignoring newer comments in favor of older ones. All of the most recent things that Sean Murray has said point to any MP being a minor feature at best, whatever it is.

If the developers outright lied about their product in advance of its release, that's a problem, but it's also a separate issue from whether you should buy a game based on prelease talk versus the finished product, reviewed by (hopefully) professionals who take their jobs seriously.

That's like saying that ordering a ton of steel and getting shipped a ton of rocks is stupid because you should have inspected by yourself that it was indeed steel before paying. That's not how advertising, or seller-buyer trust, should work.

Not coincidentally, this argument is one in many bullshit rationalizations for the bottom line many seem to have already decided, which is to defend the game and its developers no matter what damning evidence turns up. Enjoy the game if you want, but don't defend outright liars.

So liars are good for the industry?

Ooooooookkkkkkkaaayyyyy...

Friendly advice: if the bulb on your sarcasm detector hasn't lit up in a while, now might be a good time to replace its batteries.

Kamina

Golden Boy
But if we were told it's not a spoiler in the first place then what would there be to "dig up"? Therefore it is a damn spoiler.
You mean spoiler tag the non-spoiler? Because I quoted the spoiler AFTER getting told it wasn't one. How was I to know? The game isn't even out on PC yet.

So by your logic: "people say it isnt a spoiler but I am convinced it is, so I quote it to prove them it is, regardless if it spoils the game for other people"

Wow.

Shari

If the PC versions wind up working flawlessly and let you see other people, then all the hate aimed at Sean would shift right over to Sony.

I agree 100% with this sentiment. If it happens it means for me that Sean is aware of all this and he has to keep his mouth shut as per "request" from Sony.

I think it's the case tho.

Zomba13

So by your logic: "people say it isnt a spoiler but I am convinced it is, so I quote it to prove them it is, regardless if it spoils the game for other people"

Wow.

I quoted it to prove he had talked about the centre of the galaxy after I was told that it wasn't a spoiler.

Ok. It only takes 30 seconds to clear the air.

All people want is a "Sorry brahs. MP didn't make it in" or a "Sorry brahs, mp is in but server issues are preventing it from working properly". Since he is so creative I bet he could even say it in a fancier way than "sorry brahs" too.

I can see there are going to be a LOT of quotes of that post by people who fail at understanding sarcasm.

Oh, and if he uses the expression "brahs" in any apology, he should just hang himself. As should anyone that uses that expression.

flkraven

This is the biggest bullshit leap in assumptions ive seen. If this is the code needed to decifer seans tweets into "server issues prevented multiplayer from working" then someone needs to give the NMS twitter account to someone else. Sean murray is incapable of answering this question with a single, clear senetence.

Anyway, this whole witch hunt is making me ill. Sean Murray is no witch. He's just an honest liar.

If it weren't for you, I don't know if I could have weathered this storm. You are my rock. We should go barefoot together and eat some birds after we shoot them out of the sky. That sounds like a good time.

Nope, there's no way out of this, the moment multiplayer shows up (if ever) people will say that it was added post launch and that it didn't exist so far.
So there's no middle ground of people that are reasonably confused about the poor messaging regarding multiplayer functionality who are just looking for an answer? Oh wait, here I am. How's it going?

molnizzle

new thread title tho

hhz28Go.gif

Timeaisis

This was so spot on it took me like four paragraphs to realize you were joking.

thecouncil got way too good at this

im a creative. like my barefoot buddy, Sean!

this is my favorite thread and i ask that everyone just tolerates my output. haha.

If it weren't for you, I don't know if I could have weathered this storm. You are my rock. We should go barefoot together and eat some birds after we shoot them out of the sky. That sounds like a good time.

Haha. I'm here for you. We will find those birds if the sharks don't find them first.

Gator86

It's genuinely impossible to tell what's sarcasm in this topic. I would have to go back through post histories most of the time. The cult of personality around Sean is astounding. He's gotta be the top manic pixie dream dev in the game right now. So what if he purposely deceived customers, he's a dreamer!

Pre-edit the quoted post was damn near perfect sarcasm.

mike6467

Very bad analogy. It would be true if the content of the game was cut by an half.

Again, it's not a gamebreaker. Its peripheral to the game itself.

Exactly, and wanting a mini-van to do 200MPH (or frankly anything over the speed limit) would be peripheral to it's primary purpose of carrying people.

Wow.

You seem pretty ignorant so let me spell it out for you.

I was told it wasn't a spoiler, fair enough. Flat out told it WASN'T a spoiler. Zoomba quoted something from the original poster and now it seems that it was a spoiler? How the hell were we meant to know? We were told it wasn't. Where is your logic mate.

So thanks, because we were mislead on that. Unless it really isn't a spoiler, but then your argument still doesn't make sense.

SomTervo

big like all the stars and suns being mere skyboxes you can't actually fly to?

That's a pity. But in terms of gameplay it means little/nothing to most users. And IIRC they never actually said you could fly into stars?

big like all the systems being small systems of a few planets that don'T really interconnect physically like promised?

Uh. Yes they do. They don't interact like an IRL simulation of physics, because it's not a simulation. But the planets are physically present and interconnected. You can see them and fly between them and land on/fly around all of them. Ship fly from space stations down into planets and land on them. They rotate and have positions - but they don't orbit and their day/night cycles are standardised (likely a playtesting concession).

big like all the stuff about real time orbits are apparently (?) bull?

I don't actually remember him mentioning that they orbit in real time. I think it was always mentioned they're static relatively. It looks fucking awesome like this anyway.

Or big like no sandworms, no huge dinosaurs, and lots of other animals from screenshots not yet documented at all?

Just shown in the last couple of pages mate.

And yes, the option of meeting people is fucking big too.

Yes, that is bull.

This is the biggest bullshit leap in assumptions ive seen. If this is the code needed to decifer seans tweets into "server issues prevented multiplayer from working" then someone needs to give the NMS twitter account to someone else. Sean murray is incapable of answering this question with a single, clear senetence.

Yo raven, some things that should probably go in the OT,

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks like another pair of players found each other: http://imgur.com/a/tYbch

(guess if they can see each other or not)

:( Well, I found this last night case anyone missed it.

“Just to be clear, it's not just going to run a video of me saying, ‘Hi, welcome to the center of the galaxy.’ I can confirm it's not going to be a link to a YouTube video. Inside a box.”

Murray says that players will want to share the experience with their friends, even though the team is trying to temper players’ multiplayer expectations. “Are you gonna want your friends to join you there? Yeah, without giving too much away, yes.”

Edit: Yup, found the source. It's from a GamInformer interview.

So he said that you would want your friends to be with you at the center... That's really heavily implying multiplayer. I mean, what else could that possibly mean. I can't imagine anyone taking that to mean anything other than hanging with your friends at the center in an epic moment.

So with all the lies outside of multiplayer coming to light, is this going to be a Black & White situation where reaction to the game only sours as the months pass?

Klyka

Banned
You seem pretty ignorant so let me spell it out for you.

I was told it wasn't a spoiler, fair enough. Flat out told it WASN'T a spoiler. Zoomba quoted something from the original poster and now it seems that it was a spoiler? How the hell were we meant to know? We were told it wasn't. Where is your logic mate.

So thanks, because we were mislead on that. Unless it really isn't a spoiler, but then your argument still doesn't make sense.

I am saying you guys need to stop digging and just don't give a shit about what you read :p

I am trying to help you guys keep your enjoyment of the game.

If you keep digging,you will encounter spoilers and you will feel bad about.

Stop quoting stuff, stop reading backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom