• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have to be extremely savy to forumlate a definitive answer for yourself instead of being told the truth by the devs? Lol.

No, not extremely savvy, just savvy enough! i.e have an IQ above room temperature :p

But yeah, I remember one interview where a journo pushed him for a definite answer and he cracked and said "no, you cant play / meet with others". It's about the only time he's ever said it usually choosing to be misleading. I posted the link in one of the old threads and many people still wouldn't accept it lol.

Anyway who cares, it's only a computer game. They should have been more upfront though I feel.

Where's the advertisement? I'd like to see it. Not the one interview from two years ago.

Yeah, and with pretty good reason too! But I must have missed EA's massively ambitious open-world universe game last year. Maybe that plays a part too somehow.

Show me the receipts. I'm not shutting down shit.

Again, bit of a stretch using the word 'advertised' there.

you are literally complaining about people being crybabies because they don't like something about the game you love

I think if you couldn't see anyone they would have outright said it, especially by now. It's likely that you technically can see other players, but it's such a small probablility that almost nobody will. Even if you're in the same spot on the same planet you might not see another person. Keep in mind that this is a game you could play for the rest of your life an not even see 1% of. Sean has stated that seeing another person is unlikely to the point where it's almost impossible, but everyone takes this to mean that there's a chance, and if there's a chance then surely they'll be one of the lucky ones to encounter another player. In a few days I'm sure more people will test this out and we'll see if it's actually possible or not, but I can't believe that Hello Games is intentionally lying to sell copies. They continue to claim that multiplayer is possible (or at least aren't stating it's impossible) and I have to assume that's because it is possible - technically.
That's the thing. During the Colbert interview, he explicitly said other people could see you but that it was exceedingly rare for that to happen.

So folks are trying to figure out how the game is working - if either:
1 - the two players aren't in the same instance;
2 - there's some technical issue preventing the feature of seeing other players from working;
3 - there's something that happens later in the game that makes this possible;
4 - it's actually just not a feature in the game anymore.

Interested to see how it pans out and if anyone ever encounters anyone again (I would assume yes, given this is day 1!).

Sean and team really sort of failed to inject this experiment with enough 'game' huh? The idea of finding people in a sprawling universe and it be this Journey moment was one of the games big dream potentials and its just not in there.

So its just you and the algorithm generating the world. Abject loneliness.

That's how I play Elite Dangerous (solo mode), it's still fun exploring and seeing what other people have or haven't discovered.

When I say fun to watch unfold, I mean checking in on the reddit three times today. I like seeing folks try to figure things out, especially when they were given such low odds of it being possible. Could be day 1 issues, could be instance related, could be that it's no longer in the game. But I kind of love knowing that at least two folks who are passionate enough about it found themselves in a rare situation and are trying to discover something about the game.

Sorry, I meant the two people using their time with the game for that. Anyway, I agree that it's interesting that someone is doing it.

Edit: Did anyone try to play coop on Journey (with a friend) and succeeded? Serious question.

Zomba13

Where's the advertisement? I'd like to see it. Not the one interview from two years ago.

Yeah, and with pretty good reason too! But I must have missed EA's massively ambitious open-world universe game last year. Maybe that plays a part too somehow.

Show me the receipts. I'm not shutting down shit.

Again, bit of a stretch using the word 'advertised' there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

Multiple instances talking to different outlets over the years about meeting other players.

(and it's missing some that were posted earlier like the French interview)

Boke1879

Yeah, it's completely clear that for many, Gaf exists not to discuss games, but only for hype trains, glowing impressions, and lttp Bloodborne threads. Any and all criticism of anything involving games, or the industry overall, are hating and entitlement.

Oh please. There are people on sides guilty of this. There is a discussion to be had here, but you won't find it here or in any of these threads simply because there are others who wish to troll and try to deride ANYONE who says they do enjoy the game.

It's one thing to dissect and discuss. It's another to try and live and find these "Gotcha!" moments. Some people don't want to discuss the game, some just want to bash. You're right others simply don't want any discourse and that's wrong as well.

But right now you have hyper polarizing opinions and attitudes on both sides. Some of these threads as far as temperament goes are no different than Reddit or 4chan honestly.

Actually I would imagine there's a huge amount of people enjoying the game right now, even those that might have seen something about this. I would be too but we're still waiting on the game to be released here in the UK!

It's like The Witcher 3 graphics downgrade drama. Lots of angry people, but many more didn't really care and just got on with enjoying that game.
Yeah. I wonder how many of those people still think their rage was justified.

I'm guessing many forgot they raged against it at all and put it at the top of their 2015 GOTY list in the end.

This shit too, shall pass. It's just the Angry Gamer's pick of the day.
you are literally complaining about people being crybabies because they don't like something about the game you love
I guess. I just don't like the current outrage culture. Nuance just gets fucked over and buried.

Zomba13

Do planets orbit suns in this game?

Not played the game, just going by what has been said and seen in videos, but yes. Planets should rotate and also orbit the sun (and moons orbit planets).

So there could be the issue of players seeing the solar system at different times where they could be "connected" but actually miles apart due to the planets moving. But we don't know.

Telling people to stop complaining so much and enjoy what's there: 'blind devotion'.

Like I said: bringing out the worst in the gaming community.

You know, I am going to post an exaggeration. people usually roll their eyes because "such a ridiculous analogy" but that's because people forgot the point of an exaggeration when used in a conversation. So I am putting a disclaimer: Example I will provide is going to be blown out of proportion intentionally. The reason I do it is the same as doing some sort of large blue print of a small tool. To make small details bigger and thus more visible. Thus I create a situation, in which subtleties and obfuscation of real life complexities is reduced, while implictations are increased, so they are easier to see.

Imagine a developer promises a large open world game with thousands of NPC, dymanic world, mutliple endings and rich well written story.
Game comes out and it's just pacman with 3d graphics. Is it alright to say to people that it's wrong to "whine" and complain about it, because "it's a really good pacman port, so just enjoy what is there".

Once again, extreme exaggeration, but is there to illustrate the point. People buy the game based on what is promised by the developer. So, we should hold them to scrutiny.

DrBo42

Do planets orbit suns in this game?
I only get the sense that they rotate, not actually orbit anything. They feel very much like static cardboard in space until you get close and land on them. Feels very different from something like Elite where you can approach the local star etc. Stars in this game feel like static light sources you can't reach in a skybox. Or it's just a matter of engine speed and distance skewing everything.

That's the thing. During the Colbert interview, he explicitly said other people could see you but that it was exceedingly rare for that to happen.

2 - there's some technical issue preventing the feature of seeing other players from working;

Interested to see how it pans out and if anyone ever encounters anyone again (I would assume yes, given this is day 1!).

5 - You come upon a drone control center and find a bunch of monitors with drone footage and one of them is capturing footage of another player somewhere out there...

I'm guessing many forgot they raged against it at all and put it at the top of their 2015 GOTY list in the end.

I guess. I just don't like the current outrage culture. Nuance just gets fucked over and buried.

Yes, rage and anger. The people on the opposite side surely have intensely negative feelings, none of them are rational at all like you are. None of them can calm down and look at things sensibly.

Because it was easily GOTY of 2015. And NMS can be GOTY of 2016. You are missing the entire point. The arguement is not about the quality of NMS at all. Game itself is irrelevant. It's about whether devs lied or not. They could've been developing pong amiga style and it wouldn't have mattered. What matters is what they said and if it was intentionally false or not!

Which we don't know but still hasn't stopped people from jumping to conclusions, making judgements about the development team, and making snap YouTube videos. I've seriously never seen one game attract so much vitriol so quickly.

Not saying everyone has reacted well to it, but trying to shutdown negative discussion of the game is equally stupid.

It was said multiple times, as posted in this thread.

The gif with the example of them explicitly stating that it you "can play with your friends" has been posted at least 3 times just on THIS PAGE. But here you, go, since you are obviously special and everybody needs to repeat everything for you personally:

murray2e0up8.gif

On my general position, I am not particularly angry as I am not getting NMS anytime soon, so it's not like I'm being lied to now that I already parted with my money. But i have very short patience for any kind of misleading advertisement and stuff like this, and being everybody's indie darling should not excuse HG. Everybody should fall under the same scrutiny.

And yeah, sure,MAYBE, it's a server issue, guess what, you can tweet that in like 3 minutes, if it's the case, you don't need to put togethere an official statement.

I thought the implication from that gif was he was saying yes but his body language was saying no, and he was only pressed by Sony pr?

Pit

Instancing, server issues, day one load all that. Hell, one guy wasn't even logged into his PSN. Sean said it's possible, so there are obviously mechanics we aren't understanding. My bet is on Instancing to prevent huge server loads.

You know, I am going to post an exaggeration. people usually roll their eyes because "such a ridiculous analogy" but that's because people forgot the point of an exaggeration when used in a conversation. So I am putting a disclaimer: Example I will provide is going to be blown out of proportion intentionally. The reason I do it is the same as doing some sort of large blue print of a small tool. To make small details bigger and thus more visible. Thus I create a situation, in which subtleties and obfuscation of real life complexities is reduced, while implictations are increased, so they are easier to see.

Imagine a developer promises a large open world game with thousands of NPC, dymanic world, mutliple endings and rich well written story.
Game comes out and it's just pacman with 3d graphics. Is it alright to say to people that it's wrong to "whine" and complain about it, because "it's a really good pacman port, so just enjoy what is there".

Once again, extreme exaggeration, but is there to illustrate the point. People buy the game based on what is promised by the developer. So, we should hold them to scrutiny.
The fact that you have to use this exaggeration to justify the current outrage should tell you something about your plight here. I'm guessing you realise that using the actual situation is not quite impressive enough for all this anger to make sense.

anothertech

Holy sht!!1 LOL

"You can see other characters...and they can see you"
"You can see other characters..."
"and they can see you"

**Mind Blown**

Honestly. It was direct as hell. There must be a flip they have to switch or something. I wouldn't doubt it's possible if he said something that direct like you can see each other and attack each other. Honestly.

Need to hear from the horses mouth now.

They did say that you could go to the same space and not end up in the same instance but we don't know if this is the case or it's bugged or not implemented. Though if they update the game for a long time as they say then I'm sure more guaranteed methods of multiplayer will be added.
What are the odds though? 18 quintillion planets spread out across the people who are playing now?

It's something rare and cool and unique that I thought might never happen to me but had the possibility to and that was exciting. Even the thought of hearing about it on a podcast or a post on GAF about someone finding another player and just kind of messing around or even just passing by after giving each other a nod or something would be super cool. Like how in Journey when you meet another player and it's all cool and you dance and chirp and then explore and journey together. Just the thought of something like that maybe happening was super cool, connecting to this random person with no way of really communicating and then having some form of interaction in thi cold, lonely, vast universe was a cool thought.

I'm still looking forward to the game (PC release is Friday...) and will still enjoy it as everything else about the game seems to be exactly what I expected and I can't wait. I'm still disappointed about the multiplayer stuff not being in (or if it is in, then not working right now) because it was such a cool idea.

That I can totally get. I think due to playing a lot of Elite and seeing the rarity of encounters outside the bubble tempered my expectations of ever running into anyone a lot so I never expected to run into anyone at all. If it isn't in at all though, I can see how it would take a slight edge off, but as with you, I'm enjoying it for what it is. I think also playing Elite made me realize how uninteresting an encounter may actually be too though so I'm probably a little jaded on encountering others.

They have said in the past that this is a game they would like to keep expanding if there's good player retention. So maybe it's in the pipeline?

I kind of wonder whether they decided to create AI characters who act similar to how other players would act, hoping for a lot of posts like, "hey I saw another player over at Regulus V, he was flying really erratically and looked right at me! Post if this was you!" When it was always just an AI.

I don't think this is likely but it's a possibility. Something you might do when you realize you can't deliver on statements made earlier, and you dial back and start saying things like "you'll never even know if what you saw was another player."

paulogy

This article from Dec 2014 is very interesting:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ng-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx

Especially this part:
If you're thinking, “Okay, okay, I understand all of that, Sean, but let's say all my friends want to go and play together.” That's not what this is about. You've seen the galactic map. I don't want to disappoint people. I don't want to answer your question and then they will think, “Yeah, yeah, he's saying it's difficult, but I'll do it. And then we will play Destiny together, effectively. We will all run around the planets.”

No. If you want to play a first-person-shooter-sci-fi-run-around-on-a-planet game, play Destiny. It’s a really good game. Go play that. We're not trying to do that.

The fact that you have to use this exaggeration to justify the current outrage should tell you something about your plight here. I'm guessing you realise that using the actual situation is not quite impressive enough for all this anger to make sense.

No, the fact that I have to use an exaggeration is that people are easy to ignore implications when they are small enough. To me, there's no smal lie, when it comes to advertisement. But to explain to other people that have some weird gradation to something that shouldn't have a gradation at all, I am forced to create a situation in which it is clear to them what I am angry at. Basically, to me there's no small lie when it comes to PR. You either lied or didn't lie. All has to have the same amount of backlash and consequences. No lying allowed period. I am a tyrant when it comes to pr

mainly because I am forced to partake in it at my job and it kills me inside slowly, so I am probably projecting

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ng-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx

Especially this part:
Same article:
What we can do is, like many games that you have at the moment, where you are flying around with an open lobby. People are coming into that lobby and leaving it – like if you play Watch Dogs or something like that. Effectively, we have players joining your discrete space. We're not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen. We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game.

Gator86

Oh please. There are people on sides guilty of this. There is a discussion to be had here, but you won't find it here or in any of these threads simply because there are others who wish to troll and try to deride ANYONE who says they do enjoy the game.

It's one thing to dissect and discuss. It's another to try and live and find these "Gotcha!" moments. Some people don't want to discuss the game, some just want to bash. You're right others simply don't want any discourse and that's wrong as well.

But right now you have hyper polarizing opinions and attitudes on both sides. Some of these threads as far as temperament goes are no different than Reddit or 4chan honestly.

There's basically no one in this thread saying the game is bad or that people that like it are wrong and dumb. People are taking issue with a dev implying a feature that does not appear to be in the game was when pitching the product. If you interpret people's criticism of that as some type of persecution of NMS or its fans, that's kind of your deal and not anyone else's problem.

Is anyone here raging? I'm calmly reading on my phone out of boredom because I'm on a work trip and exhausted from running around all day. I've posted a handful of times, yet am somehow not in a frothing rage. Using hyperbole, exclamation points, or profanity does not mean people are reaching some unstable level of emotional energy capable of powering a small city.

'There must be some explanation for this! Instancing! It'll come in a patch! They never really said there was multiplayer in the game'

Yeah, it's ok to be really invested and the game seems great but it's blatantly clear this was a feature they straight up lied about after being stupidly coy for months. There's just no defending this. It's hilarious and I feel a little embarrassed for those in this thread who are trying to justify it. It's been a vastly entertaining read. I've suspected it since the beginning. It seems pretty clear the dev just figured it was likely nobody would actually end up in the same location so they just....fibbed. No reason to get out the pitchforks but also no reason to start in with the mindless fellating and ass kissing on seeing here. Let's just call it what it is.

They were promoting the game had multiplayer verbatim in multiple public interviews. It might not be advertisement in the pure sense of the word but lets not strawman here.
They haven't 'advertised' this feature for a while now.

Additionally, this rage is much more the result of runaway expectations than any supposed false advertising. If you think 'lying' got them to this point of hype, you haven't been paying attention. In any case, we'll soon hear why they've scrapped it. Could be a matter of scale, or those chance encounters just not being worth all the trouble it would entail server-aide. We'll see.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

Especially this part:

most interesting:

People keep saying to us, “Yeah, but what if I knew where they were? Would I go there?” And it's like, yeah, but they are going to have to stay there for quite a while while you get over there. And then once you get over there you might land on the same planet and then you will say, “I'm on a planet the size of Earth and I am on a mountain. Where are you?” Which is, I know, a weird thing and it's a daunting thing.

nothing about instances or other nonsense. all about finding someone because the universe is so huge.

Man, posting that gif means very little, there's been so many interviews after that, talking vaguely about it and imploring people that it's not a multiplayer game, that people shouldn't expect such things, playing with each other. They also said there would be no NPCs (in the very same video), apparently they're adding base building in the future etc.

I'm not defending Hello Games and Sean if there is absolutely no way of seeing what other players look like, because that's generally what was hinted at. Latching onto a "erm, yes" regarding "playing together" from almost two years ago isn't the best source of information (not to mention the "griefing" comment that's even more ambiguous). There might be actual technical difficulties regarding such an event (game seems buggy well enough), not to mention the possibility of it being tied to a quest (as in, being able to see other players only in specific circumstances, both players being in the same quest point etc.) or some similar factor.

Just saying, that gif means very little. And also, give them a bit of time to give a statement for pete's sake, and if it turns out they straight up threw out seeing other players in any shape or form, then sure, they're pretty much guilty of not clearing things up beforehand.

No matter how vague Sean's been about the multiplayer aspect of the game, one point has definitely been mentioned multiple times, and that is - the only way to see what you look like is to see other players. This totally sounds like a cool "moment" they would add just for the sake of it, whether it is by standing next to each other, or looking at a portal or a screen that shows the two of you, or whatever the mechanics are. So I would genuinely be surprised if there's absolutely no way of seeing what other players look like, but as I said, if that's the case, then it's not cool and should be addressed.

The "Molyneux 2.0" comments and straight up hate though are kinda baffling though.

OCD Guy

Actually I would imagine there's a huge amount of people enjoying the game right now, even those that might have seen something about this. I would be too but we're still waiting on the game to be released here in the UK!

Are you buying it from PSN?

If so use the US store. It's cheaper and available to buy now.

Maybe it was multiplayer at one point and now it isn't? Like it could have got cut because it wasn't fun or a million other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom