• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerokis

Well. I mean it is a technical possibility, it's just the players don't get to decide themselves who enter their shared space.

Is this the definitive answer?

And if it is, that means whenever Sean mentioned there's a just greater than zero chance of seeing someone else, he was referring to both the vastness of space and the fact that anytime you're miraculously in the same area as another person, you also have to coincidentally be in the same "shared space"?

That's...quite something.

AngryMoth

Yeah they really messed up by not messaging this clearer. Especially with all the talk about it being "highly unlikely" that 2 players could meet implying that it maybe possible.

I'm not surprised though, didn't make sense that such a small team would take time to implement coop multiplayer if only 0.1% of players were gonna experience it.

I really hope they do add some kind of organised multiplayer in the future.

diaspora

Is this the definitive answer?

And if it is, that means whenever Sean mentioned there's a just greater than zero chance of seeing someone else, he was referring to both the vastness of space and the fact that anytime you're miraculously in the same area as another person, you also have to coincidentally be in the same "shared space"?

That's...quite something.

He likened it to Journey where iirc you can encounter anyone- including your friends in a random encounter if you pass by each other. I thus far haven't seen anyone prove where he or anyone else said you can set up a meeting between players. Meeting with your friends is a technical possibility, just an absurdly low one.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't know how to feel; just casually looking at bits and pieces of this game over the years and I had assumed that not only could you see other players if the opportunity arose, but that there would be social hubs for you to interact with other players deliberately. Starting to figure out where I even thought that those bits would be part of the game, and am starting to wonder if this game is even for me.

Going to read more impressions in the meantime before I decide Friday if I buy this or not.
They never said anything about social hubs. Just about the fact that you can see other players.

He likened it to Journey where iirc you can encounter anyone- including your friends in a random encounter if you pass by each other. I thus far haven't seen anyone prove where he or anyone else said you can set up a meeting between players.

'your friends' heavily implies it.

Kinyou

Perhaps my favorite part of this video is Sean's pained expression as he says "you can see other characters and they can see you" through his teeth.

His body language really sets off my BS meter.
To be fair, I think that's Sean just in general. He always comes off a bit nervous on camera.

spannicus

Obviously they didnt want to say no as it would have lost them some sales. I get many have no problem with this being a single player game, but many also were in love with the thought of exploring the galaxies and bumping into other people here and there. Something is weird as to why they just wouldnt come out and say no from the beginning instead of going the route they went.

He likened it to Journey where iirc you can encounter anyone- including your friends in a random encounter if you pass by each other. I thus far haven't seen anyone prove where he or anyone else said you can set up a meeting between players. Meeting with your friends is a technical possibility, just an absurdly low one.

You need to watch that video that was posted further up the page. He said far more than "this is kinda like Journey...sort of..."

diaspora

You need to watch that video that was posted further up the page. He said far more than "this is kinda like Journey...sort of..."

So... what? They said it was possible but also incredibly rare that you might pass by someone else- friend or otherwise and people are mad that two people didn't end up in the same shared space on day 1.

anothertech

Ya, I'm on the side of 'launch day isn't a good indicator of what's actually possible in this game' regardless of what people have tried thus far.

Honestly though, whats with the people trying to argue 'they never said this is possible' when it's been clear as day they said these things. You can't argue with the gifs lol.

Audioboxer

Shitty if so. This was definitely one of the "OMG" moments that rang through many peoples heads thinking it would be such a special moment if you were lucky enough to see someone.

Think Journey on steroids.

Don't blame the technical feasibility on the gamers. Its not up to us to know how complex coding is or we would be damn game developers and not just players.

Alarm bells starting going off in my head with embargoed reviews, day 1 patch pleading and then on top Sony acting like dicks with YT videos.

Over promising and not delivering on a full price retail title never goes down well.

How exactly is not being able to see another person ruining a game where you're not supposed to see another person for months or years anyway?

The fact that these two met on the first day tells you it's not intended and probably a bug.

Yet here is half of GAF trashing Sean and Hello Games without even waiting for them to address it first.

nynt9

Imagine if this really is just a bug lol

He tweeted yesterday that the game doesn't have multiplayer.

He said several times before (including on national TV) that the game has multiplayer.

At this point it doesn't really matter if it's a bug or not. We have his words.

ViciousDS

Banned
No buy till they patch this in or add it. I was expecting journey like experiences.

Fuck this game, he even said I swear that you could see other players and meet them

Kinyou

It was always possible and still is, people have deluded themselves into thinking they can control who they encounter.
So you mean there's also a random factor to it? Seems weird to me considering how unlikely it is that two players will end up in the same star system anyway. Why reduce that likelihood of meeting even more deliberately?

diaspora

So you mean there's also a random factor to it? Seems weird to me considering how unlikely it is that two players will end up in the same star system anyway. Why reduce that likelihood of meeting even more deliberately?

To remove the ability for people to organize. It'll still be possible for people to have encounters just that organizing them would be a non-starter.

ViciousDS

Banned
You do realise that when this is added or fixed the game will still be nothing like Journey, right?

Randomly crossing other players and exploring with no voice commands or space battles with random players and everyone heading there separate ways at times. Seems good enough to me

icespide

Banned

I literally have no idea but I suspect that's just a symptom of how the game fundamentally works (different instances or whatever). otherwise they'd have to have the infrastructure in place for an MMO type situation

Zomba13

it pissed me off for years seeing people asking if they can find other players or if they could carve their name into a mountain for someone else to find.

No. You can't. videogames are hard.

This game is incredible technical feat and yet it's still not enough for people. So ridiculous!

Then why say for years that you can?

diaspora

Randomly crossing other players and exploring with no voice commands or space battles with random players and everyone heading there separate ways at times. Seems good enough to me

Randomly crossing players isn't really ruled out though. The ability to force or organize encounters is ruled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom