• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A quick look at the XBOX 360 start

see5harp

The only issue with Geometry Wars was how long it took to get started. It's still a better score chaser than anything else other than Geo Wars 2 where they fixed that long ramp up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You just don't get it. It's all about the leaderboards and beating your friends' scores. And just because you suck at a game doesn't automatically make it 'kinda shit'.

I get what it's about. But the difficulty was goofy as hell. It ramps up so ridiculously fast.

Ripenen

A lot of the games mentioned here weren't launch games. The Xbox 360 launch lineup was pretty bad as I recall. There were lots of HD versions of games that had already been released on Xbox and PS2, like Tony Hawk, Gun, Call of Duty II. Kameo and Condemned were about the only original games that were any good.

pswii60

I get what it's about. But the difficulty was goofy as hell. It ramps up so ridiculously fast.
You see, I think it's the opposite. I get impatient waiting for it to get frantic so I can get my multipliers and score up high. I hate the boring easy first 60 seconds.

I really still think you don't get it. Stop lying.

Kainazzo

Bought my first 360 in 2007, played Mass Effect, Gears of War 1 and 2, PGR3- AAA gaming was very new to me at the time.

Then I got bored, sold it, and after looking around, I got a Japanese model for Cave shooters and VNs to practice the language. Modern Japanese console games (post PS1) are also relatively new to me, so this system's been a strange one indeed. Feels like I've butchered it into something it was never meant to be.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I liked Perfect Dark Zero, even if it was a poor Perfect Dark sequel and a not so great shooter in general. Wasn't the worst shit ever though.

CoD2 was godly. Played the shit out of that with my brother, some of the most fun I have had in a multiplayer game.

You see, I think it's the opposite. I get impatient waiting for it to get frantic so I can get my multipliers and score up high. I hate the boring easy first 60 seconds.

I really still think you don't get it. Stop lying.

I get the "leaderboards/beating your friends score" part.

GulAtiCa

I miss the blade setup.

I barely play the thing now. But was used quite a lot during my college days. Halo 2 lan games between a few Xbox/Xbox 360s was awesome.

solarus

Geometry wars <3 360 defined this gen for me and xbla was a killer feature until recently where the releases have slowed down, although we still get amazing titles like battle block theatre and the minecraft console port.

You forgot Frame City Killer

Also forgot the worst part about the 360 launch units:

xbox-failure-red-ring-of-death.jpg

boxinterior.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember getting 10,000 GS and thinking I was bad as hell.

Now I don't even care about achievements. I kind of wish they reset for next gen, but I know they won't.

CyReN

took a picture before the dashboard changed.

2Omgttr.jpg

I still got the making of thing on my xbox, can't find it up on youtube though.

R3TRODYCE

Easily my favorite console;This is why the rumors don't bother me about the Nextbox, it will always be a day 1 for me.

A kid who was 12 when he received a launch 360 at Christmas, 2005 could be playing a 360 at an army base somewhere today (he'd be 19-20).

Think about that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also my first generation where I could properly buy my own games. Still trying to figure out who to go with on the launch of the next systems. I just feel like Amazon would be the ones to go 'whoops we didn't get ya one. mayben ext week?'

Nokterian

Bought my Xbox 360 with Kameo very awesome game at the time still is and played hours and hours of Crackdown,still have it.

tipoo

Banned
Also forgot the worst part about the 360 launch units:

xbox-failure-red-ring-of-death.jpg

Wasn't just the launch units, even a few motherboard revisions down RRoD was common, I had one on a Falcon motherboard revision. I think even whatever the last one on the fat 360 was had them, but far less common, the slim finally fixed it for good.

see5harp

NXE was by far the best iteration. I still don't understand the desire to go back to the blades. As far and using the system to PLAY GAMES, send messages, accept or invite people, using the guide button is identical.

Woorloog

Banned
NXE was by far the best iteration. I still don't understand the desire to go back to the blades. As far and using the system to PLAY GAMES, send messages, accept or invite people, using the guide button is identical.

Blades looked cool, NXE/Current doesn't.
IMO anyway.

That said, i'd prefer something futuristic looking like Halo Waypoint interface (though with better design).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dead Rising was the first "holy shit" moment for me. It was ultimately a huge factor in me getting a 360.

The decision to make the blades UI the new guide menu was brilliant. The old guide that used to pop out of the side was terrible. Now you have the blades UI accessible inside of any game or app that you are playing on the console. On this old dashboard you had to exit out of the game and reload the blades dash. I also remember having to rely on Major Nelson's blog to have any idea about what content was being released on the console. Fine for hardcore gamers who actually read about video games online, but for most consumers they would have to scroll through hundreds of marketplace items to discover what was new. Now I can just boot up the system and be informed about new releases. Even if you knew what marketplace content you wanted on blades UI you had to scroll through tons of content to find it. Now I can search for the content by voice or text.

The only thing I liked better about the early blades dashboard was the way they focused on comparing high scores and achievements in the XBLA section. This blades UI was not practical for a system with a big marketplace of content. The blades and NXE UI's required way too much scrolling to see content. NXE drove me crazy not being able to see the categories and having to rolodex scroll through them then having to scroll all the way to the end of each list to see all of that categories content. NXE would not have worked for a system with tons of apps.

The current dashboard still needs a lot of work, but it is much better for a marketplace with tons of content and a device with tons of apps.

see5harp

Blades looked cool, NXE/Current doesn't.
IMO anyway.

That said, i'd prefer something futuristic looking like Halo Waypoint interface (though with better design).

Yea, I think NXE looked cleaner, was more usable in that you could see friends in parties, see what games people were playing at a glance. There is hundreds of times more content, apps, games, videos, promos, etc now. Fitting that into Blades would just be embedding menus within menus with menus. It would be terrible to use.

Top Bottom