• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A woman in Scotland paid just $61 for her flight and was the only passenger.

Talk about getting champagne on a beer budget.

A Scottish woman paid just £46, or roughly $61, for a flight from Glasgow to Heraklion, Crete, on Sunday — and ended up being the only passenger on the 189-seat plane.

Karon Grieve, a 57-year-old mother from Ayrshire, Scotland, who was on a trip to Crete to write a novel, said she knew that the flight on Jet2 — a UK budget-friendly airline — wouldn’t be packed. But she had no idea just how light the trip would be.

“I knew it was the last flight of the season, so I knew there would not be too many people,” she told the Globe. “When I went to the check-in counter and asked how many people were on the flight, they laughed and said, ‘Come on, guess.’”

Grieve said that upon boarding, she was warmly greeted by the flight attendants and the pilot, and that they called her by name during the flight.

“The pilot introduced herself right away, chatted with me, and said the minute the seat-belt sign was turned off, to feel free to run and up and the plane if I wanted to.”

So she did, Grieve said.

“It was amazing,” she said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...ng-the-plane-to-herself/ar-AAu304J?li=BBnbfcL

I guess having it his way would actually make me less nervous on planes cause you have more direct contact and knowledge of what's going on.

I assume most would like to be alone, but im sure a few of you would rather not.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This is my dream.

I've been on 40 flights this year, and every time I wish for something like this.

This is my dream.

I've been on 40 flights this year, and every time I wish for something like this.

How do you do it, I am having panic thoughts every time and I hate it ... lol

honestly, I just wish I was never on a plane but your doing it more than me...

I'd feel better alone though, maybe in the better seats, walking around and like I was saying, just knowing all is cool instead of listening to all the sounds that send me fearing

(I have a plane in a few days)

MaulerX

Compare that to Delta who constantly overbook flights and have to kick and drag people off their planes. Lol

T.v

So what would one flight cost for the Airline? Fuel+wages+maintenance? Has to have been an expensive flight. Though I'd imagine a lot of flights aren't commercially viable if you count them like this.

I'd hate that, it would be awkward as fuck

how is it awkward though, just cause of the crew? Otherwise no one is there to have any issue with, I guess with my fear I lose all care of being so awkward with strangers.

I'd be like, hook me up with that flight crew seat (sure they wouldn't, but who knows) that would keep me calm to know what is going on though. I'd like that if it was ever possible.

So what would one flight cost for the Airline? Fuel+wages+maintenance? Has to have been an expensive flight. Though I'd imagine a lot of flights aren't commercially viable if you count them like this.

I am assuming they had to fly somewhere anyways, get the plane somewhere regardless? Maybe more people coming than going etc

Flying tomorrow, would love this.

Sadly I'll end up with someone in the middle seat elbowing me the whole flight like last time.

I have been on a lot of planes where the back was empty and I just moved and sat in the empty area.... is helpful since I am a bit panicked

Also, in China they don't care, they let me do whatever I like on the planes for the most part and help me out.

This is nice to hear. Southwest cancels flights if they aren't full enough to be profitable. I assume there are better consumer protection regulations in play in this case and this wouldn't ever happen in the U.S.

Sakura

Man 61 bucks. Wonder how much it cost them just to fly the plain and pay for all the staff. Just to transport one person.

AllGamer

I am assuming they had to fly somewhere anyways, get the plane somewhere regardless? Maybe more people coming than going etc

Yes, it's in the full article

Grieve said the plane had to make the trip no matter what, which was why it wasn’t canceled or postponed.

“They were bringing back a full flight of people from here [Crete] — so the flight was going over with just me, but coming back with 189 people,” she said. “It was the last flight of the season. No one’s going over on holiday, they’re just coming back. Only mad people like me were coming over,” she joked.

Ephemeris

I did a red-eye from MCO to JFK a few years back and there was maybe.. 15-20 of us on the plane that was probably as large as hers, including the flight attendants. I felt like I wasted an opportunity by going to sleep :(

This is my dream.

Same, I'd love it. I don't fly often, maybe a couple of times a year, but when I do I get claustrophobic and start to panic. Valium or Librium helps, but I can't knock myself out as I'm usually flying with the kids. Having the whole plane to myself would be wonderful, I love that when it happens on a train too.

Jacked

Neo Member
I had a similar experience when I was flying from Belfast to Nottingham.

Except it was two passengers and they sat us beside each other, it was like some really weird blind date.

She was lucky it wasn't Air Berlin. My colleague was traveling with them and since his flight had only 13 people booked they canceled it without warning and he waited 7 hours for next one.

xk0sm0sx

I had an experience on a budget airline where after a transfer stop, the back of the plane was full while the front half had just me and someone else.

I behaved myself though :(

“The pilot introduced herself right away, chatted with me, and said the minute the seat-belt sign was turned off, to feel free to run and up and the plane if I wanted to.”

So she did, Grieve said.

“It was amazing,” she said.

She sounds awesome.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
what the... what do you do for a living?

Marketing - clients all over, but this year I basically have lived part time in Detroit and Atlanta. From New York City, so lots of flights back and forth. 40 is honestly probably a low estimate.

I've also been to Florida a couple times for quick getaways, Scotland, Portland, LA a couple times... been a busy year.

There was a time when I stopped flying for a little bit and the takeoffs would make me nervous - but since I've been doing it more and more, that wore off.

Jinroh

Once I took the plane from Stuttgart to Kuwait, there were 3 or 4 people in the plane. It’s not really uncommon.

LakeEarth

I had a flight that only cost $86 so I thought it'd be half empty like this, but it was surprisingly fully booked. Must've got the ticket at the right time.

Somehow my baggage would still get lost

lol, that was a good one

An episode of Seinfeld if I ever saw one. How do you lose a bag to the only passenger on the plane? Did you drive the luggage vehicle out and place it in the back, thus losing the one bag on the way to the airport?

see5harp

If I was the only person on the plane, I'd probably drop the biggest deuce ever. A guilt free shit on a plane is something I've never experienced.

Lucky gal.

I was quite lucky this summer tho on my flight from Amsterdam to Boston. Had a window seat and the next seat to me empty.

That was chill as fuck. Got got an extra pillow and blanket that i could use against the ”Wall” for some neck rest and have my legs and feet up on the other seat. That was my best flight ever.

bufkus

eh it's canceled out by the full return flight and the massive amounts of bilking airlines do to customers. they reap massive profits because of how unregulated the industry is (except for security of course).

shaneo632

I'm a nervous flier and I much prefer having a full plane. It just makes me feel less alone in the event something goes wrong, and even though I don't believe in God or fate, I'm always more at ease when there's a few babies on my flight for some reason. Like, no this plane won't be going down.

Top Bottom