• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Access to free games each month is coming for Gold members on Xbox 1...later in 2014

Cels

i think the main reason the the games with gold titles on 360 are so old is that you get to keep the games even after your gold sub expires.

so for the xbone two things could happen, either

games will be worse than PS+, but you get to keep them
OR
games will be on par with PS+, but need to keep gold sub for access

sounds good to me tbh

Confused by the thread title. Did Major Nelson confirm somewhere that this is actually "late" 2014 and not just that the details are coming "later in 2014" as he tweeted? Because that could mean as early as January.

FranXico

i think the main reason the the games with gold titles on 360 are so old is that you get to keep the games even after your gold sub expires.

OR

sounds good to me tbh

If you keep on subscribing anyway, keeping the games as a rental won't have too much of an impact in that you keep accessing them.

I suspect MS are going to adopt a very similar model to PS+. It's low risk to them and publishers, makes XBL Gold more appealing to gamers, and also helps the indie cause (btw, the fact that the feature starts in the second half of 2014 is probably related to indie games presence).

faberpach

Is a nice thing that they offer free games but with how fast games fall in price most of the games that end being on those services can be found in second hand game shops for almost no money... it is nice but the real value of those is quite low.

but well free is free and people love to to scream it but now that both big companies have it people will be able to start realizing that the real value of it is quite low.

LTWheels

Confused by the thread title. Did Major Nelson confirm somewhere that this is actually "late" 2014 and not just that the details are coming "later in 2014" as he tweeted? Because that could mean as early as January.

Well that tweet says later in 2014. Not late 2014.

Later in 2014 just means sometime in 2014.

So yes, misleading title. But I don't think there has been any clarification.

Still not convinced the Xbox is going to offer anywhere near the value proposition of PS+, because I've never seen them offer value with Xbox, but this is great news for gamers and Sony deserves a thank you.

That's because Sony offers rentals, whereas you get to keep the games Microsoft gives you, even if you let your XBL lapse.

But I agree, it's good to have competition. I'll never understand why people say they can't wait for Microsoft to leave the industry.

Str1ke4

This was posted 18 days ago by someone claiming to be an insider

Games with gold for xbox one. This will happen, sooner than many people may be expecting. Not launch, so don't get your hopes up. But it is being worked on for the first big update. When they bring in other features like external hard drive support. And I think people will be surprised by what games they will be getting for free so soon. The list obviously isn't finalized yet but expect first party launch titles, big name third party retail games and some very popular and well established indies to make the first few rounds. It will also continue like the current system, download and keep.

Heres the whole thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1pafrz/rumors/

Not surprised Microsoft is keeping this going. They know the Plus service for Sony is gaining a lot of attention and now that memberships are likely to skyrocket because it's needed to play PS4 titles in multiplayer they had to react. The question is will XBox One games be on the same scale Sony will offer on the PS4? The free games on the Xbox 360 are quite old.

Satchel

Banned

OR

sounds good to me tbh

I'd prefer older games I keep forever.

While the Games With Gold games are old, they're still good.

jond76

Banned
I keep wondering if either Sony ot MS will pull previous Gen games and update them for their respective bonus game service. With such a huge library its seems possible. Maybe.

Otherwise, they'll either have to give away new games that devs could be making money on, or... I don't know what.

interesting deals they must be making.

Top Bottom