• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

Kyonashi

Yes, new models OC to 165hz as well so basically they're still as high end as it gets. No HDMI though if that matters for you.

I'm looking at one of these for a GTX1070, is there any benefit to having an HDMI port? I likely won't be disconnecting my PS4 from the living room TV, so wont need it for that.

Vuze

I'm looking at one of these for a GTX1070, is there any benefit to having an HDMI port? I likely won't be disconnecting my PS4 from the living room TV, so wont need it for that.
If you don't need one, there's no benefit in having one :D

Does this support HDR?

Can't see myself buying any monitor right now that doesn't support HDR to be honest. It's the most exciting tech to come to displays since colour and it's only a matter of time before games start coming out that support it.

riflen

Does this support HDR?

Can't see myself buying any monitor right now that doesn't support HDR to be honest. It's the most exciting tech to come to displays since colour and it's only a matter of time before games start coming out that support it.

Complex answer to this, because "HDR" is too loose a term. As it stands the answer is "it depends". Are you talking about HDR in games, or video playback or what?

Complex answer to this, because "HDR" is too loose a term. As it stands the answer is "it depends". Are you talking about HDR in games, or video playback or what?

I mean specifically HDR10 / Dolby Vision compatibility. From everything I've heard in the hifi world it's quite astonishing to see in person.

riflen

I mean specifically HDR10 / Dolby Vision compatibility. From everything I've heard in the hifi world it's quite astonishing to see in person.

Right, the answer you probably want is no. This is a standard IPS LCD panel and doesn't have the nits range to make HDR worth using. Additionally, HDR10 and Dolby Vision concern video and UHD televisions specifically, not computer graphics signals. I think these require particular support from the GPU in drivers and with specific output ports. So probably GPUs released in 2016 onwards.

Games are different and we can probably enjoy HDR on a range of older GPUs once the displays start to arrive and the games get patched or built with updated tone mappers.

Right, the answer you probably want is no. This is a standard IPS LCD panel and doesn't have the nits range to make HDR worth using. Additionally, HDR10 and Dolby Vision concern video and UHD televisions specifically, not computer graphics signals. I think these require particular support from the GPU in drivers and with specific output ports. So probably GPUs released in 2016 onwards.

Games are different and we can probably enjoy HDR on a range of older GPUs once the displays start to arrive and the games get patched or built with updated tone mappers.

That's what I thought. I know AMD for one have waxed lyrical about a push for HDR support in 2016 but figured gaming monitors would be a bit behind the big TV brands.

I reckon within a year it'll start showing up in PC displays, so I'll be patient till then. When I have to literally squint my eyes to see clearly when riding my horse towards the sun in The Witcher 3, I'll know the wait would have been worth it.

Vuze

Pascal already supports HDR for games though, Nvidia recently published an article about their HDR API etc and their collaboration with CD on ROTR HDR support. I think they also showed it at the reveal event (or maybe it was just a movie can't recall; anyway, it was running on a pascal system).

But you're right, the lack of HDR Gaming monitors at computex was disappointing and in general Nvidia didn't publish much about the feature.

LJ11

I can't stand IPS. I've been looking for another monitor but I'm having a tough time finding something. Display tech is poo.

riflen

Pascal already supports HDR for games though, Nvidia recently published an article about their HDR API etc and their collaboration with CD on ROTR HDR support. I think they also showed it at the reveal event (or maybe it was just a movie can't recall; anyway, it was running on a pascal system).

But you're right, the lack of HDR Gaming monitors at computex was disappointing and in general Nvidia didn't publish much about the feature.

I saw that too, but I'm not sure what we need an HDR API for frankly. I'm not saying we don't need it, just that I really don't know how it helps when developers and engines have been using it forever. Still this is an interesting article from a Nvidia developer on the subject and wikipedia has a cool page on HDR rendering and its history if anyone's bored.

LJ11

What don't you like about it in particular? Bleed?

Glow is an issue, but the contrast is my bigger problem. Both of my current monitors are about 1000 calibrated contrast but I'm looking for something more. For now I'm gaming on my plasma via a long HDMI, but I'm looking for something better, I like 21:9 ratio as well.

riflen

so did a bit of research and found a D version with 1 MS response time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018NRT45I/

is this just a faster monitor and nothing else? hmm i'm seeing conflicting info here saying the Hu is 4 MS and 1 MS, which is it?

Yes, the information is right. XB270HUD uses a TN panel, hence the faster pixel response time than the XB270HU with the IPS panel.

If you want to read about panel types, you can do so here. Broadly speaking, IPS will usually look better colour wise, but is not as fast to respond. The XB270HU is a really good IPS display for overall input lag though.

For computers, you should be using DisplayPort, which is the successor to DVI. Especially if you want to use G-Sync. VGA is analogue and long deprecated. HDMI is designed for televisions and Hifi / AV equipment.

Yes, the information is right. XB270HUD uses a TN panel, hence the faster pixel response time than the XB270HU with the IPS panel.

If you want to read about panel types, you can do so here. Broadly speaking, IPS will usually look better colour wise, but is not as fast to respond. The XB270HU is a really good IPS display for overall input lag though.

For computers, you should be using DisplayPort, which is the successor to DVI. Especially if you want to use G-Sync. VGA is analogue and long deprecated. HDMI is designed for televisions and Hifi / AV equipment.

Hmm that's food for though, think i'll make a thread on this to gt more opinions and advice, thanks btw

scoobs

I've had this monitor for about a week and it's just about the best gaming purchase I've ever made. It's just incredible.

I've been playing Overwatch and The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine and I am astounded at how beautiful this monitor makes these already great looking games look. It's just a treat. If you are on the fence... buy it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Fuck, I think I'm buying this... any reason it would be a bad idea now? Anything better about to come out? It seems like Acer is the go to for IPS Gsync monitors.

HooYaH

Fuck, I think I'm buying this... any reason it would be a bad idea now? Anything better about to come out? It seems like Acer is the go to for IPS Gsync monitors.

I know people will say don't wait, but I think you should wait for CES. Monitors next year suppose to go 200+ hz with a more up to date display port and Hdmi.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I know people will say don't wait, but I think you should wait for CES. Monitors next year suppose to go 200+ hz with a more up to date display port and Hdmi.

But how expensive will those be? Probably quite expensive right? This is already expensive but I can get it for $600. Not really willing to pay much more than that.

Jimrpg

But how expensive will those be? Probably quite expensive right? This is already expensive but I can get it for $600. Not really willing to pay much more than that.

$600 is a pretty good price.

If you have a chance to see it in action, I would do that first. $600 is still alot money if you don't need all those things (1440p 144hz IPS G-sync) in one monitor.

n0razi

I have it and its a great monitor.. the only real thing to watch out for is QA.... Acer has some terrible QA and you might have to play some panel lottery to get one that doesnt have severe BLB or dead pixels.

I got mine for $400 from the Acer Outlet (checked it every day for new stock) a few months ago

ISee

That's what I thought. I know AMD for one have waxed lyrical about a push for HDR support in 2016 but figured gaming monitors would be a bit behind the big TV brands.

I reckon within a year it'll start showing up in PC displays, so I'll be patient till then. When I have to literally squint my eyes to see clearly when riding my horse towards the sun in The Witcher 3, I'll know the wait would have been worth it.

AMD polaris (400 series) doesn't support true 10bit for HDR. Instead they are using 8bit with dithering.
Which is very disappointing. The unanswered question is: how does it work for ps4 and xbox one S.

IMO it's a bit too early to jump into the hdr hype. Too much left in the dark.

Top Bottom