• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama bans the removal of Confederate monuments

Memory

That's what museums are for.

Also, look what else this asshole has been up to:

Allen was first elected to the Alabama House in 1994. In 2005, Allen proposed Alabama House Bill 30 (HB30), which would have banned public school libraries from purchasing books by gay authors or with gay characters.[2] The bill did not become law.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Allen_(politician)

So its worth keeping racist traitor's statues proudly on display but gay people's pool of knowledge and creativity is worthless?

Scumbag

Jombie

I'm from Alabama and it disgusts me. It's a tangible embodiment of the reason why we'll never escape the past and be something other than a long-running national joke.

Violater

I get where both sides are coming from, but here is my take.
Racism is real, whether the statues are there or not, and a statue never discriminated against me.

Cocaloch

I get where both sides are coming from, but here is my take.
Racism is real, whether the statues are there or not, and a statue never discriminated against me.

How is that connected to what is going on here exactly? No one is suggesting taking down the statues will end racism.

Violater

How is that connected to what is going on here exactly? No one is suggesting taking down the statues will end racism.

I just said it's how I feel about the whole thing man, not what anyone else was saying.

The same fucking people that hate us now will hate us even more when their hero's statues are taken down.
I think there are other issues to deal with, where energy/efforts could be directed.
Just my 2 cents.

Cocaloch

Nope, it was Germany, Austria, and Florida that kept getting horrible stories on GAF when the meme was created. Now it is usually just Florida for everything.

The whole point was that it was three different brands of weird. Wouldn't Austria and Germany more or less be the same brand? Besides news out of Austria isn't exactly frequent.

Sciz

Now if this had been Alabama or Mississippi then it would have been a real contest.

Maybe Tennessee for good measure.

Too late, Tennessee already did this a few years back in response to Memphis trying to take down some of its own old shames. Currently requires a 2/3rds majority vote from the state historical commission to do it instead of just going "lol no", but good luck ever getting that kind of support.

edit: also people know that Germany or Florida didn't originate on GAF, right

MaddenNFL64

Like I said in the other thread, the portrayal of these traitors, racists, and slave-drivers as innocent, care-free, symbols of Southern cheer was the re-write.

You had 100+ years to live the lie, now back to reality.

100% agreed. The white washing the South enjoyed of their slave keeping rebellion has to finally end.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Poor little snowflakes get triggered whenever anyone says a mean word about their sacred confederacy.

Cocaloch

I just said it's how I feel about the whole thing man, not what anyone else was saying.

The same fucking people that hate us now will hate us even more when their hero's statues are taken down.
I think there are other issues to deal with, where energy/efforts could be directed.
Just my 2 cents.
This is relatively low hanging fruit. Also, people can focus on more than one thing at once.

To end racism in the US is to change it's DNA. Something much harder and nearly impossible to do.

Cocaloch

Later in the thread they are discussing Australia vs Austria. It was Austria first but Australia and Austria are confused for obvious reasons.

Do you have an older example? The thread I posted mentioned Australia first and predates your thread.

Dude Abides

Banned
The people there today literally have no real connection to any of these monuments, amazes me people would hold on to them so tight. Just put them into a musuem or whatever.

They're a big "fuck you" to black people and Yankee librulz, that's why they like them so much.

They're a big "fuck you" to black people and Yankee librulz, that's why they like them so much.

And also uneducated.

I had one guy actually say to my face that the secession and Civil War had NOTHING to do with slavery. Wouldn't accept anything I pointed out.

"Guess your college history doesn't teach things the way they should be." I about punched him in the fucking face when he spouted that off. But that's what they want, an excuse to "defend their heritage".

These fuckers will keep jacking off to their traitorous monuments and their loser flags. As someone who's lived here all my life, it feels like the only way it'll stop is to wait for everyone who celebrates these things to die off. That's how depressing it is.

Zok310

Banned
Black lawmakers should counter with a ban on that new law. Then Alabama can follow up with a ban, banning the ban law ban.
lol, that shit would be funny to watch unfold.

The Confederacy was essentially Nazi Germany of the 19th Century, why the fuck would you tie your "heritage" to that unless you maliciously want to be an asshole Or stew in your own ignorance about your past?

Dude, it was Australia, and the game was invented by Gaborn (RIP) in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305487

Granted, it was a twist on the old Love Line game "Germany or Florida," but Gaborn read and posted a lot of weird news, and noticed a weird trend in Australian weird news at the time, and decided to add it.

It was quickly turned into G/A/F after this thread by StoOge: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329271

Before this, there was one thread about "Austria or Australia," but that was one thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291148

Your proof isn't much, because there are multiple threads that are variances of "Not Florida or Germany!"

In summation, G/A/F has always been, and will always be "Germany/Australia/Florida" on this forum.

EDIT: Or I should have just found this post earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16202653&postcount=11

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing that a Federal law forbidding states from memorializing Confederate leadership didnt appear during Reconstruction.

Maybe they just assumed no one in The South would ever want to memorialize these losers?

but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?”

What's funny is I bet this guy would be upset to know it was originally "property" instead of "pursuit of happiness."

You could argue that the confederacy specifically was fighting for the phrase before Jefferson swapped it with pursuit of happiness.

Anyway fuck these guys and fuck Bama.

Cocaloch

What's funny is I bet this guy would be upset to know it was originally "property" instead of "pursuit of happiness."

I'm not defending the guy, but I doubt he cares much about what Locke said vs what Jefferson said.

You could argue that the confederacy specifically was fighting for the phrase before Jefferson swapped it with pursuit of happiness.

I assume you mean the south, and you really couldn't argue that.

That being said the reason that Jefferson worded it the way he did was absolutely so as not to enshire slavery in foundational documents.

I love how the most talented professors in the world is a criticism.

In my experience lay people really dislike academics generally, and Historians in particular.

It's amazing that a Federal law forbidding states from memorializing Confederate leadership didnt appear during Reconstruction.

Maybe they just assumed no one in The South would ever want to memorialize these losers?

Because Reconstruction was sabotaged in order to woo Southern states back into the fold of regular governance, because white northerners didn't live as black men in the South and realize how desperately total uprooting of its racial ideologies was needed, and considered orderliness preferable.

The Confederacy should have been treated like post-World War 2 Japan, occupied until they agreed to act like non-savages and demonstrated this change would stick. It is one of the great failures in world history of a government to its citizens that this was sabotaged. Fuckin' Johnson!

Top Bottom