• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

jonno394

Hypothetically, if a 3DS only Metroid were announced, and by a third party studio at that, i'd at least look at it as there might be a Switch Metroid in the works too, and that potentially it is by a Nintendo studio and that in all likelihood, the 3DS exclusive version isn't taking resources away from that.

This is based primarily on the thought process that you'd like to think that Nintendo know that Federation Forces pissed off most of the Metroid fanbase, and that the next Metroid being 3DS only when the Switch is here would piss off people even more. I know Nintendo can be dumb at times, but i'd like to think that even they aren't that out of touch.

Jackano

Lol if Retro is on a 3DS game, software planning is at a new low - which doesn't come as a surprise, despite good Switch numbers and the timed releases I still think it's weak.

My bet remains on Retro Switch game out this year.

jorgejjvr

So it seems like a lock that we're getting a new 2D Metroid, the first one since Fusion 15 (!) years ago. At this point I don't even care what platform it's on, just that it's coming. Oh and it should be good, that's... somewhat important
Is this somehow confirmed?

Lol if Retro is on a 3DS game, software planning is at a new low - which doesn't come as a surprise, despite good Switch numbers and the timed releases I still think it's weak.

Rumors:
RETRO isn't working on Metroid
Climax is working on Metroid for 3DS (at least)
You:
RETRO is working on Metroid for 3DS

Nintendo's Software planing has been very good so far, though RETRO seems to be in a tough spot. Not sure if there all that good anymore.

The rumor isn't Retro is making a 3DS game. Climax is making the Metroid 3DS game according to the rumors.

Tbf you guys kind of jumped on SuperMetalDave, it's completely understandable with the way he acts, but he did say Climax was working on a Metroid game just like some of these other guys on here have said.

It kind of makes SMD a little more believable at least on this.

Tbf you guys kind of jumped on SuperMetalDave, it's completely understandable with the way he acts, but he did say Climax was working on a Metroid game just like some of these other guys on here have said.

Nice try, SMD
the rumor is ancient

DMONKUMA

I'm interested about Alberto saying that SMD's comment had various accuracies....I wonder if that was just for the Metroid title or involving what he said about Retro.

KingBroly

Banned
Rumors:
RETRO isn't working on Metroid
Climax is working on Metroid for 3DS (at least)
You:
RETRO is working on Metroid for 3DS

Nintendo's Software planing has been very good so far, though RETRO seems to be in a tough spot. Not sure if there all that good anymore.

Even if a 3DS traditional Metroid game comes out at this point, Nintendo has done far too much damage to the brand with Other M and Federation Force for it to survive past it. Especially since 3DS is dying off.

Nintendo will look at the sales and throw up their hands when the reality is they did it themselves and they failed to analyze what went wrong before it was too late.

Let's hope switch at least

I really want my Prime like, first person Metroid tho....

Well I believe Miyamoto a few years back talked about there being a future for both styles, but who knows what's actually in the works.

Well, I don't know when SMD reported that, but it was several days ago where Climax and Liam had that Twitter conversation suggesting they were working on Metroid. And apparently this is something that some insiders (like Nate) heard a long time ago. So it's definitely something SMD could've heard from another insider, rather than any other source.

I still think anyone claiming to know what Retro is working on is full of shit, whether first hand or second hand shit.

NateDrake

The Climax rumor is dated, and where the truth in it rests is unknown. Some are saying Climax are the lead, while I heard they are only assisting in development. In regards to the Climax rumor, I also only heard of a Switch version of said Metroid. Info is clearly scattered and mixed. Today we have those suggesting it may be a 2D game, and I only heard of a 3D one. Too many mixed signals to believe anything right now, imo.

Nice try, SMD
the rumor is ancient

You got me man. It's me SuperMetalDave. I love you guys and all the great discussions and speculations on Nintendo.

Just joking lol

Platinum Games publicly denied that they were working on Metal Gear Rising.

They were working on Metal Gear Rising.

Yeah, these guys can lie.

I'm interested about Alberto saying that SMD's comment had various accuracies....I wonder if that was just for the Metroid title or involving what he said about Retro.

Well Alberto did say "the most inaccurate thing was that SMD was our friend" lmao.

The Climax rumor is dated, and where the truth in it rests is unknown. Some are saying Climax are the lead, while I heard they are only assisting in development. In regards to the Climax rumor, I also only heard of a Switch version of said Metroid. Info is clearly scattered and mixed. Today we have those suggesting it may be a 2D game, and I only heard of a 3D one. Too many mixed signals to believe anything right now, imo.

Hmm I see what you're saying. There's definitely a lot of confusion going around, but is it safe to say at least some kind of Metroid is being developed by someone?

Well, I don't know when SMD reported that, but it was several days ago where Climax and Liam had that Twitter conversation suggesting they were working on Metroid. And apparently this is something that some insiders (like Nate) heard a long time ago. So it's definitely something SMD could've heard from another insider, rather than any other source.

I still think anyone claiming to know what Retro is working on is full of shit, whether first hand or second hand shit.

Yeah, I could see SMD reading it on Twitter and pretending he has sources. He's that type of person. I don't like his attitude and how he acts so smug.

Ah I wasn't aware you'd heard of a 3D one. Yeah this sounds like it could be a case of telephone, or at least a lot of mixed up information.

Best to take it all with plenty of salt.

Even if a 3DS traditional Metroid game comes out at this point, Nintendo has done far too much damage to the brand with Other M and Federation Force for it to survive past it. Especially since 3DS is dying off.

Nintendo will look at the sales and throw up their hands when the reality is they did it themselves and they failed to analyze what went wrong before it was too late.
At that point it's probably smart to just axe the franchise. It isn't worth putting resources into with it being fairly expensive to make while not selling well

Especially if the fans won't support it and actively damage other games before release (DKCTF & FF)

Dascu

My info:
- Heard late 2016 that Climax is working on Metroid. (confirmation dev, not platform)
- Heard about two months ago that a Metroid is coming up for 3DS. (confirmation platform, not dev)

diaspora

At that point it's probably smart to just axe the franchise. It isn't worth putting resources into with it being fairly expensive to make while not selling well

Especially if the fans won't support it and actively damage other games before release (DKCTF & FF)

Nintendo's already demonstrated that they're not capable of making a good metroid game with the last two entries, so at this point- yeah they should kill the IP. Or at least give it to anyone else capable of making a Metroid game.

NateDrake

Ah I wasn't aware you'd heard of a 3D one. Yeah this sounds like it could be a case of telephone, or at least a lot of mixed up information.

Best to take it all with plenty of salt.

I heard it was 2D from one contact, but I had heard more backing for 3D. Again, all this talk happened back in mid/late 2016. My info could be out of date. Or two games are happening and lines are being crossed.

Plum

Guys my uncle works at Nintendo and here's what he's told me:
- It's called New Super Metroid Prime 3D
- After backlash for FF's art-style Nintendo has made the heads two times larger
- It's a level-based 2D platformer with each level lasting about 5 minutes tops
- Soundtrack composed by the masterminds behind this
- 3DS exclusive... also acts as a conclusion to the entire series
- Coming 2020

I really hope whatever's being worked on is good. Please don't disappoint me, Nintendo.

NOTHING is confirmed. Absolutely zero. The only thing that is confirmed is in the headline of this thread.

Also the sun rises daily, that's confirmed too. And the moon, though you knew that already ;)

I heard it was 2D from one contact, but I had heard more backing for 3D. Again, all this talk happened back in mid/late 2016. My info could be out of date.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'm sure it's very tough dealing with/sharing this type of info when you have heard so many conflicting things and can't be sure if anything has changed. It's best to remind people that these are all rumors and nothing is confirmed, like TheMoon did above!

Thanks for the info.

I love how this turned into a thread of us compiling info related to Climax Studios working on Metroid. If Alexander Brandon reads GAF I bet he's pretty disappointed that we're no longer talking about him...

I'd honestly love to see a 2D Metroid on 3DS, silly as it may be when everyone (myself included) would rather play on the Switch, simply because I always found it a horrible waste that 2D Metroid—the series dual-screen interfaces were practically made for—skipped the DS, 3DS, and Wii U.

The main argument against Metroid on 3DS is that the fan base would be even more intolerably toxic than it is now.

Also the sun rises daily, that's confirmed too. And the moon, though you knew that already ;)

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'm sure it's very tough dealing with/sharing this type of info when you have heard so many conflicting things and can't be sure if anything has changed. It's best to remind people that these are all rumors and nothing is confirmed, like TheMoon did above!

I love how this turned into a thread of us compiling info related to Climax Studios working on Metroid. If Alexander Brandon reads GAF I bet he's pretty disappointed that we're no longer talking about him...

I hope Alex knows, if he's reading this, a lot of people love his work and a lot of this conversation is about him too hoping he's part of a Metroid game. Everyone has a lot of passion for Metroid and what it stands for. We haven't had a good Metroid game in a decade and we all want to believe a great one is finally coming.

Metroid has always stood out to me from Nintendos other games. Idk its just different in a great way of course.

TheMoon

Nintendo's already demonstrated that they're not capable of making a good metroid game with the last two entries, so at this point- yeah they should kill the IP. Or at least give it to anyone else capable of making a Metroid game.

the last two metroid titles were good games.

TheMoon

I stand by the opinion of Federation Force being a good game. It just wasn't what anyone wanted.

I fully agree with that.

I can understand Federation Force being a good game but a bad Metroid game but Other M has no redeeming qualities.

Unless you meant Prime 2 and 3 because I agree, they were good games :)

I enjoyed Other M greatly. Annoying narrative interferences aside. The moment-to-moment gameplay was solid. I could list a lot of things I'd love to have fixed/changed but it's still really good as-is.

Other M and Federation Force? It's debatable as to whether they were mediocre or just outright bad, but good? No.

Fed Force was excellent. Had a blast playing through the whole thing with 2 buddies online.

One of my sources said a 2D Metroid is in the works for the New 2DS XL(exclusive) but another said it's a spinoff coming on all platforms including mobile and VR, some saying it could be 3D, others confident it's 3.5D.
I suspect you're not going to be very happy with it but I can't say more until I validate these claims.

One of my sources said a 2D Metroid is in the works for the New 2DS XL(exclusive) but another said it's a spinoff coming on all platforms including mobile and VR, some saying it could be 3D, others confident it's 3.5D.
I suspect you're not going to be very happy with it but I can't say more until I validate these claims.

7.5D or no buy.

diaspora

Federation Force wasn't a well made co-op experience much less an SP one. The problem wasn't just that it wasn't anything anyone wanted, but it wasn't good in its own right either. They decided to release whatever the hell it was then gave it terrible gameplay.

I enjoyed Other M greatly. Annoying narrative interferences aside. The moment-to-moment gameplay was solid. I could list a lot of things I'd love to have fixed/changed but it's still really good as-is.

I sympathize with how Other M gets a rise out of people, especially as we haven't received a main-line Metroid game since, but it really is a case history of promising fundamentals and decent moment-to-moment play buried in bullshit pixel hunts, VA/story/cutscenes that seemingly only existed to tick a box for western audiences' demands for VA/story/cutscenes, and a somewhat forgettable map more like what you would expect from an average indie Metroid-alike rather than the series that is supposed to set the agenda for the genre. There is something to irritate everybody even if they don't mind the other frequent punching bags (just as I never had a problem with the "authorization" system, and didn't think the narrative was that much worse than the many ways in which video game storytelling overall is usually bad).

There is a solid sequel to Fusion buried in there, but I remember thinking when I played the game (which I mostly enjoyed and took to 100% without complaint, though when I hated it, as in the pixel hunts, I hated it) that this was the rare case of a title in a banner Nintendo IP that felt like it lacked a proper playtesting/polish pass to strip out the things that didn't work. It's underrated and quite playable, but also sloppy.

I certainly hope it hasn't killed a slick and agile third-person 3D Metroid as a future creative direction, as I'd honestly prefer that over another Prime. But knowing how people react to these things, merely suggesting that Other M had a salvageable core and shouldn't just be written out of history is enough to set everything on fire.

I stand by the opinion of Federation Force being a good game. It just wasn't what anyone wanted.

I haven't played Federation Force, but it was certainly set up to be a victim of market conditions. With or without a series drought to make everyone angry, Japan doesn't play Metroid, the west doesn't play 3DS online co-op, and the Metroid base weaned on explorable environments doesn't want bite-sized missions. MPFF was targeted at multiple intersections that didn't exist. But I can kind of see the reasoning behind producing it: it's like Next Level was instructed to do to Metroid what they did to Luigi's Mansion—break down an exploration game into bite-sized missions and make a western-developed Nintendo game a hit in all regions.

TheMoon

If you never played a FPS in your entire life maybe.

Nope, even if you've played the greatest of the greats.

Federation Force wasn't a well made co-op experience much less an SP one. The problem wasn't just that it wasn't anything anyone wanted, but it wasn't good in its own right either. They decided to release whatever the hell it was then gave it terrible gameplay.

You're well within your rights to say you didn't enjoy it but you can't go around claiming it was bad or not good at something when it so clearly was because there are people like me who had great fun with it, trying to get through missions alone after splitting roles in co-op with various configurations.

buried in bullshit pixel hunts,

oh yea, those can go fuck themselves.

Axass

Alberto is one of the "insiders" who said that the fake NX made by a gaffer confirmed what he knew...

He has 0 credibility in my book, like 95% of those alluding to being insiders on GAF. He just loves that attention.

Alberto is one of the "insiders" who said that the fake NX made by a gaffer confirmed what he knew...

He has 0 credibility in my book, like 95% of those alluding to being insiders on GAF. He just loves that attention.
They go more in-depth with their excuses for having bogus information than their initial "revelations".

KingBroly

Banned

IMO, they should sell it to a company who actually wants to give a damn about Metroid. Nintendo has shown for over 2 decades they don't care about it. They'd rather devote resources to weird shit like Star Fox Zero with its' dual-screen controls and a Chibi Robo platformer (both disasters) than consider making 1 traditional Metroid game internally, which is what they need to do.

watershed

Banned

Yeah a lot of gaffers lost credibility with the NX rumors and even the Switch press conference in Japan. Sad times for supposed insiders.

Gleethor

That doesn't seem like a fair assessment

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2D Metroid for 3DS is something I would be all over.

3D Metroid for 3DS? Not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

Top Bottom