• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

EmSeta

Our good old friend SMD said in a live stream that Retro is working on new ip and a metroid game. However, he said that the new metroid game that will be shown at e3 is being developed by Climax Studios.

Ew. What have Climax done lately?

Our good old friend SMD said in a live stream that Retro is working on new ip and a metroid game. However, he said that the new metroid game that will be shown at e3 is being developed by Climax Studios.

I was waiting for Spawn Wave to upload the podcast so I could see what SMD said.

This fits the Metroid being developed by a third party dev. Looks like Retro atleast is looking over it. And we get a new IP from Retro, which Miyamoto said a while back that Retro is capable of making multiple games.

This all comes with salt...but I love speculating. It's more fun than just shooting down everything because "no fun allowed" lol.

DMONKUMA

So I remember this guy being dead wrong on what the Switch was but.....why would anyone take him seriously? Has he got stuff right in the pass?

Duderz

Banned

Yeah, can we not give him any more attention please?

Probably not honestly. DK has never been a good franchise, and I think the cool reception to TF was reflective of this.

i-see-what-you-did-there.gif

Climax is so out there I'm almost tempted to believe it, because how else would you come up with that studio, but I don't buy Retro having two games in development and one of them is Metroid. Nintendo doesn't love Metroid that much.

jdstorm

Banned
Ew. What have Climax done lately?

Assasins Creed Chronicles (2015) is their most recently released title according to Wikipedia. Considering SMDs history i wouldn't take anything he says too seriously. It seems more like an educated guess then actual knoweledge.

I'm guessing Climax studios would be one of the few 3rd party studios that fit what Nintendo would be looking for.

Edit: they were supposedly working on a canceled Diddy Kong Racing sequel, and they have a history with well regarded horror and shooting titles on Nintendo platforms.

Plus Nintendo in the past has been incompetant enough to not realise what they have with certain IPs (Project Rainfall) that i could see the Metdoid IP having to be kept alive by Nintendo of Europe and a 3rd party team with a tiny budget

Servbot24

Banned
Nintendo would have to be INCREDIBLY tone deaf to do another 2D Donkey Kong. It would almost be trolling. Lol

I get what you're saying... but I kinda hate the fanbase for acting like it would be a troll. Tropical Freeze is so incredibly sublime, and yet people would stick their nose up if we got more.

Giving a new Metroid to Climax seems appropriate given how Nintendo takes pleasure in spitting in the franchise's face.

Climax is so out there I'm almost tempted to believe it, because how else would you come up with that studio, but I don't buy Retro having two games in development and one of them is Metroid. Nintendo doesn't love Metroid that much.
It's one Metroid game he's saying. The other game is a new IP. If his rumor has merit then this Climas Studios is developing Metroid and Retro is probably overseeing it while they develop their own game, which is a new IP.

Hm.

There's varying degrees of accuracy in here, but probably the most inaccurate part is calling SMD anyone's good friend.

Mediking

I get what you're saying... but I kinda hate the fanbase for acting like it would be a troll. Tropical Freeze is so incredibly sublime, and yet people would stick their nose up if we got more.

Giving a new Metroid to Climax seems appropriate given how Nintendo takes pleasure in spitting in the franchise's face.

Don't get me wrong. Tropical Freeze is awesome. But no more 2D Donkey Kong. NO MORE.

It's one Metroid game he's saying. The other game is a new IP. If his rumor has merit then this Climas Studios is developing Metroid and Retro is probably overseeing it while they develop their own game, which is a new IP.

But the way the post I quoted is worded suggests that there are two Metroid games. Unless you are going off of SMD's exact wording in the livestream?

Hm.

There's varying degrees of accuracy in here, but probably the most inaccurate part is calling SMD anyone's good friend.

Well shit. I think we just figured out who the next Metroid game is coming from. Climax is unexpected (as rumored) but probably makes sense. And it's a studio that would hardly be anyone's go-to when fabricating a Metroid rumor.

TheSun

I'll be down for a new IP. They got the soundtrack on lock.

Hope it delivers. I personally don't see them doing Metroid anytime soon.

But the way the post I quoted is worded suggests that there are two Metroid games. Unless you are going off of SMD's exact wording in the livestream?

I was going by what the Giant said.

He said Retro is working on a new IP and a Metroid game. In the following sentence he says the Metroid game (referring to Metroid from the first sentence) was actually being developed by Climax.

So, I took that as Retro is developing a new IP and Climax is developing Metroid, with Retro supervising Climax.

requiem02

Banned
The same guy who laughed at Emily Rogers and Eurogamer for leaking the Switch hybrid concept and insisted it was a behemoth system on par with Scorpio?

Neiteio

A new Metroid, supervised by Retro Studios and developed by Climax Studios of Silent Hills: Shattered Memories fame?

Shattered Memories did a great job pushing the Wii tech-wise. The game itself was polished and well-designed, if it a bit tedious at points (running around a shopping mall snapping photos of stuff while nightmarish ghouls chase you was... stressful, to say the least). Definitely a quality effort, though, and a game I still recall fondly.

(I don't know if we're seriously entertaining this rumor or not)

Okay, let's keep in mind this is 100% rumor and no one should hunt for heads if it doesn't pan out.

About a year and a half ago, I was told Nintendo was working with a British third party on a Metroid title. At the time, it was nascent and had either not been greenlit or barely started pre-production. I made some hypothetical lists with some other people about who would make it, and Climax was on that list. I was pulling for Sumo Digital or even Ninja Theory to some extent, but Climax seemed a solid bet.

Like...a week ago, I was talking about the Rabbids leaks with someone and they mentioned Metroid by Climax. We talked some details, I talked to some other people who said they had heard the same thing from other sources, etc.

I suspect the Climax part isn't going to be what makes people angry.

Neiteio

Okay, let's keep in mind this is 100% rumor and no one should hunt for heads if it doesn't pan out.

About a year and a half ago, I was told Nintendo was working with a British third party on a Metroid title. At the time, it was nascent and had either not been greenlit or barely started pre-production. I made some hypothetical lists with some other people about who would make it, and Climax was on that list. I was pulling for Sumo Digital or even Ninja Theory to some extent, but Climax seemed a solid bet.

Like...a week ago, I was talking about the Rabbids leaks with someone and they mentioned Metroid by Climax. We talked some details, I talked to some other people who said they had heard the same thing from other sources, etc.

Good sir, you can't just say that last line and not elaborate!

I have two guesses:

1) More Federation Force!

2) Other M 2

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Liam Robertson recently tweeted at a Climax twitter conversation that Climax was making a Metroid game. SMD must have seen that and blew his load before he saw the follow-up:

DMONKUMA

Wait what do you mean by that? Is it because the style that this supposed Metroid title might take? Or is it because of the Retro mention of what they're working on?

Either way Bingo Cards!!!!

Speely

Banned

Oh shit.

I was going by what the Giant said.

He said Retro is working on a new IP and a Metroid game. In the following sentence he says the Metroid game (referring to Metroid from the first sentence) was actually being developed by Climax.

So, I took that as Retro is developing a new IP and Climax is developing Metroid, with Retro supervising Climax.

I see. I would like to hear his actual wording. To me it sounds like, "Okay, Retro has 2 projects: a new IP, and Metroid. However, you know how people on Twitter have been teasing a Metroid game at E3? Well THAT Metroid game is being developed by Climax." Because it doesn't make sense that he would list Metroid as one of Retro's games and then immediately attribute it to Climax without using the word "supervising." That was your word.

The reason I'm so into this is because ShockingAlberto is largely backing it up, at least in part. He didn't say any of it was flat out wrong. We may be on the cusp of a solid lead on the future of Metroid. I want to hear SMD's livestream.

Edit: never mind. Of course there's a "but" associates with this...

Wellthereitis.gif

What you mean the Climax part isn't what's going to make people angry? Are you talking about Retro isn't working on a new IP and they're actually making a DK game???

For the record, I do not know Climax is making a Metroid game.

People have told me Climax is making a Metroid game. I don't speculate beyond that.

The tweet is pretty good evidence against what I was told.

It s always easy for this stuff to get a life of it's own. Parts of it can come from the outside, and then get twisted into new things.

It is always possible the thing about Metroid being worked on by a british third party was fundamentally false, and then a big game of telephone caused it to be Climax.

Or it's possibly real! Who fucking knows.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

People have told me Climax is making a Metroid game. I don't speculate beyond that.

That's a very curious thing to be told

It s always easy for this stuff to get a life of it's own. Parts of it can come from the outside, and then get twisted into new things.

It is always possible the thing about Metroid being worked on by a british third party was fundamentally false, and then a big game of telephone caused it to be Climax.

Or it's possibly real! Who fucking knows.

But that last sentence about people being angry thoooooo...

Liam Robertson recently tweeted at a Climax twitter conversation that Climax was making a Metroid game. SMD must have seen that and blew his load before he saw the follow-up:

Oh god. Lmao SMD must've thought it was Climax.

I feel like we're going in circles...

KingBroly

Banned

Nintendo lost the script with Metroid. They lost it in 1994. People need to wake up to that reality. So I'll guess that this "Metroid" game, assuming it is one, is Prime Hunters 2 as a Final Fuck You to everyone who actually loved Metroid for what it was. Something like that would crash and burn, just as Federation Force did. And it'd probably be 3DS.

I can't see Climax working on a Metroid game if they tweet out 'people think we're making Metroid, LOL.' Nintendo would never allow something like that, even if it is somewhat of a denial.

Tookay

Nintendo lost the script with Metroid. They lost it in 1994. People need to wake up to that reality. So I'll guess that this "Metroid" game, assuming it is one, is Prime Hunters 2 as a Final Fuck You to everyone who actually loved Metroid for what it was. Something like that would crash and burn, just as Federation Force did. And it'd probably be 3DS.

I can't see Climax working on a Metroid game if they tweet out 'people think we're making Metroid, LOL.' Nintendo would never allow something like that, even if it is somewhat of a denial.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hunters 2 was on the table.

Wasn't the producer of Metroid saying something about how he wanted to get into why Sylus has a beef with Samus or something? Seems like MPH2 would be one way to address it.

Not that this is a burning question that Metroid fans really care about, but Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

Kotaku asked Miyamoto which style of Metroid he preferred: 2D or Prime? Miyamoto said he liked them both, and that future installments were planned for both types of games.

The Prime game was Federation Force (lol).

I have a strong feeling the Climax game, if real, would be a 2D game.

KingBroly

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Hunters 2 was on the table.

Wasn't the producer of Metroid saying something about how he wanted to get into why Sylus has a beef with Samus or something? Seems like MPH2 would be one way to address it.

Not that this is a burning question that Metroid fans really care about, but Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

Nintendo is not in tune with Metroid or its fans anymore. I'd say part of it is that the series fanbase dried up in Japan while they continue to cater to that shrinking audience and second is that they treat the overseas fanbase (which is a lot bigger) as a bonus and not really something they want to cater towards, almost acting like it doesn't exist sometimes. Almost all Metroid merchandise they make for Japan never makes it overseas. Even the Prime stuff.

Top Bottom