• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All 30 DC Universe Original Movies To Be Collected In A Massive Box Set

Link.

Warner Bros. Animation is celebrating the tenth anniversary of its direct-to-video films featuring DC Comics’ heroes with a massive 30-film collection. The set will collect every movie from the past decade, from Superman: Doomsday, the very first film in the series, to the as yet unreleased Batman and Harley Quinn.

The collection will also feature the animation studios’ five “DC Showcase” animated shorts – The Spectre, Green Arrow, Jonah Hex, Catwoman and Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam, along with a host of unannounced special features. All in all, the collection will be comprised of 32 separate Blu-ray discs.

“It’s been an amazing journey from the initial concept of bringing comic book pages to screen to the completion of 30 animated films spotlighting the mesmerizing characters and stories of the DC library,” Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing said in a statement. “We are proud to celebrate this first decade of filmmaking with an impressive box set filled with exciting extras beyond these stunning films themselves.”

The Blu-ray box set will arrive in stores on November 7, just in time for the holiday shopping season. For those who prefer to own their movies in a non-physical format, or who simply cannot wait until November, the set will be available for Digital Download on August 15. Pricing has not been announced for either version.

animated-dcu-10th-annqosqi.jpg

SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY
JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE NEW FRONTIER
BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT
WONDER WOMAN COMMEMORATIVE EDITION
GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT
SUPERMAN/BATMAN: PUBLIC ENEMIES
JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS
BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD
SUPERMAN/BATMAN: APOCALYPSE
ALL-STAR SUPERMAN
GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS
BATMAN: YEAR ONE
JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOM
SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE
THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, PART 1
THE DARK KNIGHTS RETURNS, PART 2
SUPERMAN: UNBOUND
JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE FLASHPOINT PARADOX
JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR
SON OF BATMAN
BATMAN: ASSAULT ON ARKHAM
JUSTICE LEAGUE: THRONE OF ATLANTIS
BATMAN VS. ROBIN
JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MONSTERS
BATMAN: BAD BLOOD
JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. TEEN TITANS
BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
TEEN TITANS: THE JUDAS CONTRACT
BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN

Lock if old.

strafer

I'm okay with this since I dont own any of the animated movies in physics form.

Wait, this doesnt include the animated series?

Bubble

Neo Member
That is a lot of Batman, especially at the end where it pretty much alternates between Batman and Justice League.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Which one is everyone's favorite? I'm going to say Superman vs the elite.

Probably Wonder Woman. Although Superman vs The Elite would probably make my Top 3.

I own most of these, but it would be nice to have all of them in a neat package.

Ponn

Banned
That's neat and all but they have already re-released these movies different ways and i've already collected a good chunk of them separately making this redundant. Fans of these films have likely done the same. With nothing new to add this is an odd mega-collection to offer. Whatever though, if you are interested I would wait for the eventual clearance sale pricing.

kswiston

How much is this going to cost? $200-300?

The only ones that'd I'd want to revisit are Flashpoint Paradox and War. Everything else sits between okay to mediocre for me.

I liked Under the Red Hood. Wasn't a huge fan of War. Most of these are just OK.

There's been 30 of them already? Damn.
I hope we'll see a renaissance of WB animation at some point because the last few have been pretty shit.

While I'm here, let's rank them:

Great
WONDER WOMAN

Good
SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE

Okay

Bad
SON OF BATMAN
BATMAN VS. ROBIN

Fucking abysmal

Haven't seen
ALL-STAR SUPERMAN
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
-> I've attempted to watch all these except for Judas Contract but I couldn't stand them so I stopped. Still, not gonna rank them just in case.

strafer

There's been 30 of them already? Damn.
I hope we'll see a renaissance of WB animation at some point because the last few have been pretty shit.

While I'm here, let's rank them:

Great

Good
SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE

Okay

Bad
SON OF BATMAN
BATMAN VS. ROBIN

Fucking abysmal

Haven't seen
ALL-STAR SUPERMAN
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN
-> I've attempted to watch the first three but couldn't stand them. Still, not gonna rank them just in case.

Where do you put Mask of The Phantasm?

If I'm being generous, about only half those movies are actually good. There's some seriously bland to "blight against god" tier shit in there. Especially towards the present.

They should have just done a giant box for the entire DCAU. That would have been awesome.

Sojgat

If I'm being generous, about only half those movies are actually good. There's some seriously bland to "blight against god" tier shit in there. Especially towards the present.

They should have just done a giant box for the entire DCAU. That would have been awesome.

The Damian Wayne movies are actually the best of the recent releases.

WB has really fallen off with these.

jph139

Batman: Year One is still the GOAT, even if Batman's voice is super flat. Helps that it's pretty much a 1:1 adaptation of the GOAT Batman comic.

This would probably be a good place to ask: why does everyone love the Flashpoint one so much? I thought it was kind of dumb - like, super grimdark and excessively violent with a pretty thin plot. I usually really like alternate universe stuff, too.

Viewt

Having seen just about all of these, here are my thoughts:

- This one is decent. It kind of feels like a middling 3-part Superman TAS story. Also, the weird cheekbone details are back from Season 1 of Justice League.

- One of the best films released under this imprint. It does a great job adapting the maxi-series and Cooke's artwork is beautifully brought to life. Very, very good.

- This is an anthology collection, so some of the stories are good, some of them bad, some of them mediocre. I remember liking the Deadshot story. There's also a story that essentially copies a great Batman TAS episode (Legends of the Dark Knight) and does a pretty bad job of it.

- One of the better films on the imprint, for sure. Solid story with good structure, good fights, and a compelling lead.

- Mediocre. Hal is an OK protagonist, but the design on Abin Sur is terrible and overall the plot doesn't go anywhere interesting. Very by the numbers. Which is a shame, because doing an adaptation of Geoff Johns' "Secret Origin" arc seems like such a no-brainer.

- Pretty good! Not amazing, but a solid team-up story, Ed McGinnis's art translates well to animation, and it's pulling from a pretty fun comic arc by Jeph Loeb (GASP).

- Really good. You've got James Woods doing an eerie Owlman, and we get our last animated Dwayne McDuffie storyline. It was originally written as a special to bridge Justice League and Unlimited before the Starcrossed episodes were thought up. So as a bonus, it fits in really nicely with that continuity (sorta).

- Man, they were really on a good run here. Under the Red Hood is actually better than the comic arc it adapts, if I'm being honest. It's tighter, Jason comes off as WAY more interesting, and we even get some fun Nightwing action.

- S'Ok. This is another arc adapted from Jeph Loeb's run on the comic series, though its Michael Turner's art instead, and they don't pull it off as well as they did in Public Enemies. Supergirl's arrival is a fun concept, but the Apokalips stuff is middling. There is a fun fight with Wonder Woman and Granny Goodness's goons, though.

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN
- Great story that becomes a pretty good animated movie. Without distinct chapters, the charm of the book doesn't come through as much, but it's still a very good Superman story with some real stand-out moments.

- Another anthology, and much like Gotham Knight, it's hit or miss. I liked the Mogo Doesn't Socialize adaptation.

- The problem with Year One is that it's been mined so hard in regards to other adaptations (especially the Nolan movies) that, even if you never read the comic arc, this movie will come off as VERY familiar. But you've also got Bryan Cranston giving a fucking amazing performance as Jim Gordon. That makes it worth checking out.

- With the exception of Justice League, they've never been able to nail Vandal Savage - he's just not used great here. They also kinda-adapt Tower of Babel, Mark Waid's Justice League story, with the concept of a villain using Batman's just-in-case-I-need-to-take-out-the-Justice-League plans against them. The comic arc is a lot better. I think this is also one of the first movies to use the "DC house style" instead of adapting the comic story's art, which sucks.

SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE
- An adaptation of a one-off story, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way" by Joe Kelly. It's a fun story, and there's juice to the concept of making Superman inspect his own simplistic views on heroism, but it feels stretched to accommodate a whole movie. As a result, it ultimately comes off as mediocre.

- This is a very straight adaptation of Frank Miller's prestige series. The art ain't great, though. If you're a fan of the original story, you'll like it here, even if it's not great to look at.

- Ditto.

- What a missed opportunity. It's adapting a great comic arc (Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank), but they ditch Pa Kent, which removes a lot of heart and impact. Another entry in the "s'fine" tier.

- I think this movie is actually a lot better than the comic. It's more succinct, and the brutality of the alternate universe comes through a lot better. The downside is that it's elevated a crappy event into being something worthy of emulating.

- Adapting Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's New 52 run that kicked off the new Justice League. Much like the story it's based on, it's got some fun crowd-pleaser moments, but it's otherwise not worth your time.

SON OF BATMAN
- Oof, this is actually terrible. Damien's intro arc in Grant Morrison's Batman run had highs and lows, but this is all lows. It also makes Deathstroke look like a fucking chump.

- This movie is a total misnomer, because Batman is barely in it. This is a Suicide Squad movie, and it's WAY better than the theatrical film. They play it like a 70s heist/crime movie, and it works really well. There are a couple cringe-worthy moments, but otherwise, this is one of the better movies in the catalogue.

- A forgettable Aquaman movie based on a forgettable Aquaman arc. Ocean Master has never been interesting, and probably never will be.

BATMAN VS. ROBIN
- What a disappointment. I remember being psyched about this when I heard the title, because I assumed it was adapting Morrison's story from Batman & Robin, but it's actually kind of a hybrid with elements from Scott Snyder's Court of Owls. It ends up being sloppy and disloyal to both arcs, and much like Son of Batman, it's not worth your time.

- This is the best movie in the collection. It's a total Elseworlds tale, and I fucking LOVED it. People have given Bruce Timm some (deserved) hate, but man, he knocked this one out of the park.

- This movie actually takes a lot of cues from the aforementioned Grant Morrison Batman & Robin arc, though it also mixes in Batwoman (in her first animated movie, I think), and again, it just doesn't work. The whole thread they've been doing with Batman and Damien just sucks. It hasn't worked from the jump, and it sure as shit isn't working here.

- This is another hodgepodge adaptation borrowing concepts from Geoff Johns' mid-2000s Teen Titans run, some stuff from the New 52 Teen Titans series, and also Raven's origin with Trigon from the Marv Wolfman/George Perez 80s Teen Titans series. It's all over the map, and the fact that Cyborg features here as a JL member and not a Titan just reminds me how much I hate that status quo change. This is middling to bad.

- Look, The Killing Joke is a great comic story, but it's adapted poorly here, the art is bad, and the stuff added where Batman and Batgirl are fucking is AWFUL. Avoid avoid avoid.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
- I like that they cast the NBC/CW Constantine for the voice role, but other than that, this is a very forgettable adaptation of the Mike Carey New 52 story.

- I fell asleep like three times trying to watch this. 'Nuff said.

BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN
- Is this out yet? I haven't seen it, if it is.

So yeah, some good, some OK, lots of mediocre-to-bad.

Top Bottom