• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Lady Gaia

Cables should be clearly marked as "high speed" to carry a 60Hz 4K signal. This grade of cable was defined back in the HDMI 1.4 era but wasn't required until more recently.

Is Final Fantasy XV on a 1080p screen better on a Pro? I'm just seeing that it gets a constant 30 FPS and no graphic upgrade unless you're playing on higher res.

Correct me if I'm reading it wrong.

Edit: I don't own a Pro yet and I'm not looking to upgrade to a 4k display until late next year.
It's not in the OP posts but I'm fairly certain that the Lite mode vs regular PS4 has more foliage and other minor improvements as well (particle counts and such). Definitely has better anisotropic filtering and stays at 1080p rather than dynamic res. I think the extra stuff carries over to the high resolution mode too, which has some frame pacing issues but they never really bothered me much so far (and I'm playing on 1080p HDTV).

I've taken a 4K JPG and PNG from the same point in Watch Dogs 2, the PNG has come up 10+ MB, I can't find any free image host to post it so we can compare realistically what the difference is.

Can you recommend me a free image host which can take a roughly 10.5 MB image ? Here's the 4K JPG, there seems to be a healthy amount of compression in it.
No need to upload to Mega, I can count easily enough from the JPEG. Yes there's a lot of compression going on--about 10x--but JPEG degradation is often greatly overestimated. And given how impossible it is to find a good host for PNGs, JPEGs are just fine to start. If I find a particular shot untenable as is and need a PNG version, I'll let you know.

That said, I could verify that 1800c is the resolution, as DF said. I'll eventually end up changing the text on the list, though; checkerboard artifacts are far, far less prevalent at high res, but they're not entirely "eliminated" as I said.

Thanks for posting!

It's not in the OP posts but I'm fairly certain that the Lite mode vs regular PS4 has more foliage and other minor improvements as well (particle counts and such). Definitely has better anisotropic filtering and stays at 1080p rather than dynamic res. I think the extra stuff carries over to the high resolution mode too, which has some frame pacing issues but they never really bothered me much so far (and I'm playing on 1080p HDTV).
Do you have any way to capture shots on both standard and Pro? Failing that, you could find some standard shots online, then take Pro shots of the same place. It's definitely the case that this comparison didn't have much data to go on (a lot of discussion was centered around Pro High versus Pro Lite, and on performance rather than graphics). If you can help, it'd be much appreciated!

So how does NBA 2k17 look on a 1080p screen? My brother picked it up when it was on sale and I thought I'd give it a shot, with it being native 4k and all. The thing is, the past NBA games were already pretty sharp so IDK how much there'd be to gain.

I'll end up playing it anyways, with it being free and all, just won't finish the download for a long while and thought I'd ask :)

No need to upload to Mega, I can count easily enough from the JPEG. Yes there's a lot of compression going on--about 10x--but JPEG degradation is often greatly overestimated. And given how impossible it is to find a good host for PNGs, JPEGs are just fine to start. If I find a particular shot untenable as is and need a PNG version, I'll let you know.

That said, I could verify that 1800c is the resolution, as DF said. I'll eventually end up changing the text on the list, though; checkerboard artifacts are far, far less prevalent at high res, but they're not entirely "eliminated" as I said.

Allow me to ask you something. Is checkerboard really effective? I've been playing on a 1080p screen and I do notice the superior AA due to the higher resolution, but I'd love to know if CBR is effective enough that a 4K checkerboard game would look close to a real 4K image. If I upgrade to a 4K screen, does CBR gets the job done at that resolution or do you notice it being sub-4K or do you notice weird artifacts around? I'm asking this because uou were able to pixel count WD2 resolution, which leads me to believe that checkerboard does look similar to a real 4K buffer.

Do you have any way to capture shots on both standard and Pro? Failing that, you could find some standard shots online, then take Pro shots of the same place. It's definitely the case that this comparison didn't have much data to go on (a lot of discussion was centered around Pro High versus Pro Lite, and on performance rather than graphics). If you can help, it'd be much appreciated!
I do, actually. There are several online video comparisons too in which you can see this as well. Any area(s) you might want to see? Maybe I can record portions of the intro in regular PS4 and PS4 Pro lite?

Rockeeo

I've made some slight changes and one VR (re)addition to the list.

The improvements I listed are very small, possibly only noticeable if you look at standard and Pro screenshots side-by-side (which is what I did). I've changed the list text to say "marginally" rather than "slightly" to drive the point home. Thanks for the info!

This is because, at least in 1080p mode, Yakuza 6 appears to use no AA at all. That's what's causing the jaggies and shimmering...and also makes it very easy to pixel count. So I'm pretty sure it's running at native 1080p.

That said, I don't have my own screenshots to check, just those posted by others. And I haven't seen any 4K screenshots at all. If you could post some, I could do a definitive count. (To post 4K, you'll need to capture JPEG instead of PNG to keep the size down; counting will still be possible.) I'd really appreciate it!

As with Yakuza above, if you can post 4K screenshots I can pixel count and analyze. Share video could also get us rough framerate info. If you have the chance, that'd be excellent!

Thanks to everyone who helps!

msmBjqc.jpg

rEalNSw.jpg

eAZRa68.jpg

alidjka.jpg

gK2xFBJ.jpg

It matters if you're using a 4K TV. You'll need HDMI 2.0, which the Pro comes with.

It doesn't matter if you're using a 1080p TV. Any HDMI cable will work fine.

Are you 100% certain of this. I read a CNET article a while back basically stating it didn't really matter. And I just used the old mono price HMDI cable that was already in place and I am getting 2160p.

I do, actually. There are several online video comparisons too in which you can see this as well. Any area(s) you might want to see? Maybe I can record portions of the intro in regular PS4 and PS4 Pro lite?
Anywhere that's convenient for you is fine. Thanks so much!

Allow me to ask you something. Is checkerboard really effective? I've been playing on a 1080p screen and I do notice the superior AA due to the higher resolution, but I'd love to know if CBR is effective enough that a 4K checkerboard game would look close to a real 4K image.
My personal feeling is that it's very good indeed. For example, here's two crops from chandoog's 4K Watch_Dogs 2 shot--these are at native res.

leavese2kxo.png

buildingqzk5a.png

That's sharp, clean, and very similar to a true 4K presentation. That said, it is possible to tell checkerboard from native, and the reason is artifacts. Here's a closeup (200%) of the player character, where stippling can be seen around his edges.

artifacts8uk6y.png

And due to the way checkerboard works, things that move rapidly and complexly will have worse artifacts. So this flag flapping in the wind is pretty ugly at 200% zoom.

flag9fk30.png

But the thing is, that's a worst-case scenario for an object. And also, the last two shots did require me to zoom in to make the artifacts very obvious. At TV viewing distances, many of these problems will be much less obvious. I can't really post a true 4K shot, both because hosting them is hard and because you likely aren't viewing this on a 4K screen. But here's a 1080p crop of the 4K shot. This is not shrunk down or supersampled, I've just cut off the edges. So this is the actual IQ you get from Watch_Dogs 2's checkerboard rendering.

fullnmoog.png

I personally think the character artifacts have faded toward irrelevance at this scale and in context, and even the flag would probably look more like dithered blur when in motion rather than errors. And all of this is at 1800c, so 2160c games will be even better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
* YAKUZA PICS *

Holy shit are these really from the Yakuza 6 demo ? They're SO BLURRY .. These look like someone took Yakuza 5 and blew up the resolution to 4K without applying any kind of smoothing etc to it.

Rockeeo

Holy shit are these really from the Yakuza 6 demo ? They're SO BLURRY .. These look like someone took Yakuza 5 and blew up the resolution to 4K without applying any kind of smoothing etc to it.

The screenshots are from the full retail game.

adamsapple

That's even worse lol .. Hoped it would be better by the release. Didn't realize game was already out in Japan.

Are these from a Pro or OG ? I feel like because they're being posted in this topic, they're from the Pro version which is even more disappointing. Wonder how blurry the OG version looks blown up to a 4K TV.

Are you 100% certain of this. I read a CNET article a while back basically stating it didn't really matter. And I just used the old mono price HMDI cable that was already in place and I am getting 2160p.
It does require a special certification level of HDMI cable to carry 4K. However, many cables were already being manufactured to those tolerances even before the 4K standard. So lots of them will work...but you could be unlucky and get one that doesn't.

Are these from a Pro or OG ?
They're Pro for sure, the standard PS4 only renders at 900p.

Thanks so much for posting these! We can now conclude that there's only one Pro mode, and it's only 1080p. That's better than the 900p of the standard PS4 (and thanks for confirming there's also improved framerate). But it's definitely pretty minimal...especially considering that there's no AA at all at 1080p, and even the UI is upscaled rather than native 4K. (!)

Rockeeo

That's even worse lol .. Hoped it would be better by the release. Didn't realize game was already out in Japan.

Are these from a Pro or OG ? I feel like because they're being posted in this topic, they're from the Pro version which is even more disappointing. Wonder how blurry the OG version looks blown up to a 4K TV.

They are from the Pro. I saved them as JPEGs. But, they seem to represent what the game actually looks like.

I included the last screenshot to highlight the jaggies on the in-game phone.

adamsapple

They are from the Pro. I saved them as JPEGs. But, they seem to represent what the game actually looks like.

I included the last screenshot to highlight the jaggies on the in-game phone.

Yeah, looks like it's just spitting out a 1080p image, no anti aliasing at all. Shame.

KalBalboa

Banned
Have we heard any information on Pro improving PS2 on PS4 at all?

A bunch of PS2 on PS4 titles got 1.01 patches the week after the Pro hit. Didn't see anything specific mentioned in the patch notes.

My personal feeling is that it's very good indeed. For example, here's two crops from chandoog's 4K Watch_Dogs 2 shot--these are at native res.

leavese2kxo.png

buildingqzk5a.png

That's sharp, clean, and very similar to a true 4K presentation. That said, it is possible to tell checkerboard from native, and the reason is artifacts. Here's a closeup (200%) of the player character, where stippling can be seen around his edges.

artifacts8uk6y.png

And due to the way checkerboard works, things that move rapidly and complexly will have worse artifacts. So this flag flapping in the wind is pretty ugly at 200% zoom.

flag9fk30.png

But the thing is, that's a worst-case scenario for an object. And also, the last two shots did require me to zoom in to make the artifacts very obvious. At TV viewing distances, many of these problems will be much less obvious. I can't really post a true 4K shot, both because hosting them is hard and because you likely aren't viewing this on a 4K screen. But here's a 1080p crop of the 4K shot. This is not shrunk down or supersampled, I've just cut off the edges. So this is the actual IQ you get from Watch_Dogs 2's checkerboard rendering.

fullnmoog.png

I personally think the character artifacts have faded toward irrelevance at this scale and in context, and even the flag would probably look more like dithered blur when in motion rather than errors. And all of this is at 1800c, so 2160c games will be even better.

You are the greatest! Now I see that it does work as intended and the future is bright for this technique to achieve great things. I also forgot WD2 was 1800c instead of 4K, and does indeed look very, very good. The artifacts you describe are because of the CBR? Are there any chances of it being the antialiasing they are using? I read the game uses HRAA and I remember similar artifacts when I played Far Cry 4, which also uses this type of AA.

Thank you very much!

Tyaren

The Pro Lite mode is graphically identical to the standard PS4 mode, no better vegetation or texture filtering. It runs in full 1080p though, instead of the dynamic 900p-1080p of the standard PS4 version. It also has even less framepacing issues.
The Pro HQ mode has graphical improvements like better texture filtering, more detailed vegetation, cleaner shadows etc. and it runs in 1800p checkerboarding. It suffers the most out of all versions from framepacing issues though.
I'm in my second playthrough and both I played in the Pro HQ mode. Framepacing issues usually don't bother me much.

This is honestly the worst looking 4k checkerboarding I have seen. There is still aliasing galore everywhere.

This is honestly the worst looking 4k checkerboarding I have seen. There is still aliasing galore everywhere.
Well for one, this is not 4K CBR, it's 1800c. Second, it's simply factually untrue that there's aliasing "everywhere"--look at the crops of foliage and buildings that I posted. It's your free opinion how to assess the areas where artifacts do appear, but let's not engage in hyperbole.

And for the final effect, it might be meaningful to think about viewing conditions. You're likely looking at this on a ~20" screen from less than 20" away, as opposed to a ~50" screen more then six feet away. In the comfy couch scenario the individual pixels will be smaller and less resolvable.

Tyaren

Well for one, this is not 4K CBR, it's 1800c. Second, it's simply factually untrue that there's aliasing "everywhere"--look at the crops of foliage and buildings that I posted. It's your free opinion how to assess the areas where artifacts do appear, but let's not engage in hyperbole.

And for the final effect, it might be meaningful to think about viewing conditions. You're likely looking at this on a ~20" screen from less than 20" away, as opposed to a ~50" screen more then six feet away. In the comfy couch scenario the individual pixels will be smaller and less resolvable.

You really should take a look at other 1800p or even 1400p games, like Uncharted 4, on Pro and compare their image quality to your WD2 screenshot. I stick with my opinion that this screen shows some of the worst IQ that I have so far seen of a 1800p resolution game.
Here as a comparison the much maligned IQ of Final Fantasy XV on Pro. It too runs in 1800p and isn't the prettiest example around. But still it's IQ looks considerably superior.
I've combed through my FFXV pics to find similar sized pics of protagonist and background NPCs. These are not resized but original size, just cropped:

31812315722_bd82bc7b0c_o.jpg

31812316552_549a87aa42_o.jpg

5taquitos

Have we heard any information on Pro improving PS2 on PS4 at all?

A bunch of PS2 on PS4 titles got 1.01 patches the week after the Pro hit. Didn't see anything specific mentioned in the patch notes.

I am very interested in this as well, haven't had a chance to try out any of my PS2onPS4 games yet (I always forget).

I think Helldivers gets a nice boost to FX in general. Laser sights seem more luminescent and the dusty, foggy, swampy effects on homeworld planets seemed way more heavy handed.

Here's these too:

NzxH1dn.gif
2Qfxp24.gif

Femto.

So on a 1080p display, games without an orange dot will automatically downsample to 1080 or does it run on standard PS4 res?

Talking specifically about Uncharted 4 multiplayer. Just got my Pro and I'm testing it out

Femto.

If I don't have a HDR display, idk if it's a 4K TV only thing, will I still get the enhancements at 1080p? Like better framerate, IQ, etc.

All of this is confusing so I'm just trying to make sure I get it right. Since some enhancements say HDR 1080 and others say just 1080.

Much easier to understand on pc because you are in control of the settings.

Pallaris

Did DriveClub get pro support?

Been playing it after a about a yr (base ps4) and I was surprised to see adaptive v-sync (and frame drops) on some tracks (definitely the first city track in Scotland).

curious as performance was rock solid before and wondering if it's better on pro?

adamsapple

Did DriveClub get pro support?

Been playing it after a about a yr (base ps4) and I was surprised to see adaptive v-sync (and frame drops) on some tracks (definitely the first city track in Scotland).

curious as performance was rock solid before and wondering if it's better on pro?

Nope, absolutely no upgrades for DC so far. The VR version got Pro upgrades but not the base game.

driveclubvrt8qq6.png

You really should take a look at other 1800p or even 1400p games, like Uncharted 4, on Pro and compare their image quality to your WD2 screenshot.
Uncharted 4 does not use CBR.

Here as a comparison the much maligned IQ of Final Fantasy XV on Pro. It too runs in 1800p and isn't the prettiest example around. But still it's IQ looks considerably superior.
Final Fantasy XV has very aggressive blur on everything. This does indeed eliminate a lot of aliasing, and many might prefer the way it looks, but it's not really trying to do the same thing as Watch_Dogs 2. It's shooting for a much softer, more filmic aesthetic. I do agree that they hit that target well, smoothing out a lot of the jaggies that the starker Ubisoft game has.

But your selections do seem generally even softer than usual. This could be due to multiple JPEG compressions, or just happenstance. But CBR artifacts still do occur in the game. Here's some from a native-res Gamersyde shot (I've outlined the artifacts, since they're not blown up like in my WD2 examples).

ffcbr0hsly.png

If I don't have a HDR display, idk if it's a 4K TV only thing, will I still get the enhancements at 1080p? Like better framerate, IQ, etc.

All of this is confusing so I'm just trying to make sure I get it right. Since some enhancements say HDR 1080 and others say just 1080.
Yes, HDR is independent of the rest. You'll note that if Pro modes are HDR, so are the standard modes. This is because both models of PS4 will output that, though only the Pro can do higher resolutions, framerate, and details. But keep in mind that only 4K displays will actually show HDR.

The Pro as a whole is--like all consoles--designed to be streamlined in a way PC isn't. You can set everything to Automatic, and it should give you the best available graphics. Games may individually offer tradeoff-type choices when running, but you shouldn't have to switch anything on the console itself.

ARK's 680p25 must be a sight
I know, right? Nearly 20 times better than Ocarina of Time.

Femto.

Yes, HDR is independent of the rest. You'll note that if Pro modes are HDR, so are the standard modes. This is because both models of PS4 will output that, though only the Pro can do higher resolutions, framerate, and details. But keep in mind that only 4K displays will actually show HDR.

The Pro as a whole is--like all consoles--designed to be streamlined in a way PC isn't. You can set everything to Automatic, and it should give you the best available graphics. Games may individually offer tradeoff-type choices when running, but you shouldn't have to switch anything on the console itself.

Thanks for the clarifications.

adamsapple

Something to add to the OP w/ the demo as a reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvs7I2QUFh8

Nier Automata:

- Pro runs at full 1080p, OG at 900p.
- Pro has Anti Aliasing and better texture filtering, OG has no AA and lower filtering.
- Pro has per-action motion blur. OG does not.
- Pro has nearly rock-solid 60 FPS during game play, OG is prone to more minor dips.
- Cutscenes are 900p/30fps on both (pre recorded video files).

Luke_Wal

Have they really never patched XCOM 2? It's not in the list in the OP, and I remember waiting at the system's release for the patch to drop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvs7I2QUFh8

Nier Automata:

- Pro runs at full 1080p, OG at 900p.
- Pro has Anti Aliasing and better texture filtering, OG has no AA and lower filtering.
- Pro has per-action motion blur. OG does not.
- Pro has nearly rock-solid 60 FPS during game play, OG is prone to more minor dips.
- Cutscenes are 900p/30fps on both (pre recorded video files).
That makes zero sense. Why 900p?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I still don't fully understand what Checkerboard actually means resolutionwise.
2160c translates to ....x....?

adamsapple

Autofokus

Have they really never patched XCOM 2? It's not in the list in the OP, and I remember waiting at the system's release for the patch to drop...

Maybe it was already compatible? We did comparison screenshots and at least visually nothing changed. I've read that the performance of the game isn't good, including occasional tearing. I played ~10h exclusively on the Pro and haven't seen any tearing yet, performance seems stable too (mission loading times/save game reloads are a pain though). Maybe they just unlocked the hardware and nothing more.

Thanks for this, but I'm not going to add Nier until it's actually released. Demos are not always representative of the final product...and this particular game definitely has some low-hanging fruit that could be changed. In addition to the low-res video cutscenes, the AA on the Pro version indicates rather a lot of rendering headroom. I don't want to say it'd be trivial, but 2160geo rendering at least doesn't seem like a big task.

So the algorithm is reconstructing pixels based on thier neighboring rendered pixels?
No. It is maintaining several separate buffers to identify and track the motion of objects in previous frames. It then projects those motions to pixels in the current frame, and renders accordingly. (A caveat: each projection has a confidence level, and if it goes too low--the motion is too unpredictable--then and only then will neighboring pixel values be used to improve the guess.)

It's a complex process, so it's not easy to grasp. Maybe I should create a fuller explanation for the thread....

Maybe it was already compatible? We did comparison screenshots and at least visually nothing changed. ...Maybe they just unlocked the hardware and nothing more.
Yeah, it could technically be the case that they explicitly limited the game to standard PS4 levels. But it doesn't seem super likely; no other game has literally zero improvement. Also given the fact that XCOM 2 released more than a month prior to Pro, and no patch has ever said "Pro support added", leaves some hope that they're just behind schedule.

Autofokus

Yeah, it could technically be the case that they explicitly limited the game to standard PS4 levels. But it doesn't seem super likely; no other game has literally zero improvement. Also given the fact that XCOM 2 released more than a month prior to Pro, and no patch has ever said "Pro support added", leaves some hope that they're just behind schedule.
I was just speculating because the game is listed as a Pro title on the store.

I'm not the biggest PS4 Pro fan in the world, but I gotta say, what a great thread. Very helpful, and that chart is really easy to read. Good work Liabe Brave!

Why would Inside need a Pro patch? I don't expect indies to get patched, unless they have spectacular graphics to begin with (like Resogun for example).

5taquitos

Why would Inside need a Pro patch? I don't expect indies to get patched, unless they have spectacular graphics to begin with (like Resogun for example).

Every game that doesn't use hand-drawn sprites can benefit from a resolution increase.

That being said, I don't expect a patch for Inside or most other indie games.

Jedi2016

Honestly, I wouldn't "expect" any game already released to get a Pro patch. If they get one, that's great (big kudos to Housemarque for Resogun's patch), but we shouldn't be so hostile to devs that choose not to update a game that's been out for a while. It's become obvious that many older titles that "need" or could greatly benefit from a Pro patch aren't getting them. Look forward, not back.

Honestly, I wouldn't "expect" any game already released to get a Pro patch. If they get one, that's great (big kudos to Housemarque for Resogun's patch), but we shouldn't be so hostile to devs that choose not to update a game that's been out for a while. It's become obvious that many older titles that "need" or could greatly benefit from a Pro patch aren't getting them. Look forward, not back.

Agreed. Big bonus points to the devs that are going back and doing it, and there are some I'm disappointed don't seem to be getting one, but I also especially bought it for future games.

Top Bottom