• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternatives to MotionInJoy?

linkboy

There's a company called MayFlash, they do a lot of adapters. Apparently they have an all in one adapter for the Wii U Pro controller, as well as the DS3. From what I understand, you plug in that one dongle, and just install a standard driver that they supply you with, and it works wirelessly as either Xinput or Dinput, based on a switch. No weird configuration tools to have to give you ads every 10 seconds or any shit like that.
I've ordered the Wii U Procon version, I can give you a post on how I like it when it gets here, if you'd like.

I'd like to know about the Wii U Pro version, I'm thinking about picking it up (along with their GC\Wiimote adapter).

Zeroth

Okay, fuck MotionInJoy. It's practically a trojan (even though it might not always do stupid things apparently). It's ugly as sin, it's difficult to understand and navigate at first and it won't work for everyone. Also, ads.

After spending an insane amount of time trying to get my DS3 to connect to my PC (an ACER Aspire 5943G), I've found this somewhat easy way of doing it.

GETTING YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER TO RUN ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER IN TWO MINUTES WITHOUT MOTIONINJOY:

1: Download the official drivers for the Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft's site. I use the 64 bit version, but you should choose the appropriate Windows version here: DOWNLOAD
jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

2: Install the Xbox 360 controller drivers.
jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

3: Plug in your PS3 controller with USB. Also plug in your bluetooth dongle if you want to use that (and install the drivers if you haven't already).
jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

4: Download the XInput Wrapper drivers from here: DOWNLOAD

5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServer\bin folder.
j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

6: Windows XP or Vista users - check the Force Install option. Windows 7 or 8 users - leave it unchecked. Click the install button.
jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

7: YOU ARE DONE! Your PS3 controller will now work, using the official 360 controller drivers (it just tricks the computer into thinking it's a 360 controller).

8: Run whatever game that supports the 360 controller. The PS3 controller will automatically pair with your bluetooth hardware if it's connected to USB while the program is running.

Thanks to user Scarlet.Crush over at the PCSX2 forums for this wonderful fix!

Although this works like a charm, I have to say the lack of customization is a downer.

RedSwirl

GETTING YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER TO RUN ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER IN TWO MINUTES WITHOUT MOTIONINJOY:

Still can't get it to work.

I installed the drivers, rebooted plugged in my arcade stick through USB, then ran the exe there and it asked me to reboot again. After rebooting and plugging in the stick, games still don't recognize it as a 360 pad.

omg_mjd

I use XInput Wrapper too and I've never felt limited by the lack of customization options. I just play PC games 99% of the time. Never needed to customize the DS3 for use with an emulator.

(I tried out MotionInJoy once but felt put off by the interface and the online requirement. I gave up and bought a 360 controller. It was after discovering XInput that I went back to using my DualShock3.)

move navigator and a mouse its a very interesting option for pc gamers,the navigator is very cheap if you compare to the razer hydra or something similar

popeutlal

Okay, fuck MotionInJoy. It's practically a trojan (even though it might not always do stupid things apparently). It's ugly as sin, it's difficult to understand and navigate at first and it won't work for everyone. Also, ads.

After spending an insane amount of time trying to get my DS3 to connect to my PC (an ACER Aspire 5943G), I've found this somewhat easy way of doing it.

1: Download the official drivers for the Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft's site. I use the 64 bit version, but you should choose the appropriate Windows version here: DOWNLOAD
jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

2: Install the Xbox 360 controller drivers.
jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

3: Plug in your PS3 controller with USB. Also plug in your bluetooth dongle if you want to use that (and install the drivers if you haven't already).
jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

4: Download the XInput Wrapper drivers from here: DOWNLOAD

5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServerbin folder.
j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

6: Windows XP or Vista users - check the Force Install option. Windows 7 or 8 users - leave it unchecked. Click the install button.
jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

7: YOU ARE DONE! Your PS3 controller will now work, using the official 360 controller drivers (it just tricks the computer into thinking it's a 360 controller).

8: Run whatever game that supports the 360 controller. The PS3 controller will automatically pair with your bluetooth hardware if it's connected to USB while the program is running.

Thanks to user Scarlet.Crush over at the PCSX2 forums for this wonderful fix!
My PS3 controller can't sync to bluetooth..I have Win 8.1 running on a tablet. Via usb it's fine, but when sub is disconnected there is no bluetooth connection. Any ideas?

My PS3 controller can't sync to bluetooth..I have Win 8.1 running on a tablet. Via usb it's fine, but when sub is disconnected there is no bluetooth connection. Any ideas?

Yes. In order for me to get Bluetooth working with Win 8, I had to choose "force" under the install options, although it tells you not to. This fixed it.

Does anyone have a solution for mapping another controller to "Player 1?" Even after turning off the DS3, if I turn on/connect a 360 controller (via the wireless dongle) it is always Player 2. Hence, I can't use the 360 controller to play a single player game. I've even tried unplugging my Bluetooth adapter, but get no luck. Ideas?

Well, it worked.

Now I can go back playing WE9LE xD

One question, though: if I plug the 360 controller back in, will it recognize to two controllers separately? Or will the DS3 just stop working?

Well, it worked.

Now I can go back playing WE9LE xD

One question, though: if I plug the 360 controller back in, will it recognize to two controllers separately? Or will the DS3 just stop working?

In my question, in the post right above yours, I answer this, albeit indirectly.

When I turn my 360 controller on it is Player #2. Even if the DS3 is off, my 360 controller is Player #2. So yes, they are recognized separately, and the DS3 will continue to function.

The question I have is whether or not I can somehow get the 360 controller to be recognized as Player 1. Anybody got anything for me?

frequency

Yes. In order for me to get Bluetooth working with Win 8, I had to choose "force" under the install options, although it tells you not to. This fixed it.

Does anyone have a solution for mapping another controller to "Player 1?" Even after turning off the DS3, if I turn on/connect a 360 controller (via the wireless dongle) it is always Player 2. Hence, I can't use the 360 controller to play a single player game. I've even tried unplugging my Bluetooth adapter, but get no luck. Ideas?

Try stopping the service.

Start > Search for "command" > Right click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as Administrator" > Type net stop "SCP DS3 Service"

If you want to start the service again, type net Start "SCP DS3 Service"

Enlil

Xinput doesn't work. I did all the steps. I plugged it in with a USB.

I am using win7, i7 etc pc.

What can be the problem?

p.s have been using motioninjoy, But I also hate the fact you always have to press enable and I have he feeling that some inputs are not accurate.

wilflare

any idea what happens if I wanna use my PC paired DS3 (Bluetooth) on my PS3 again?
I have to connect it via a cable again right?

Start > Search for "command" > Right click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as Administrator" > Type net stop "SCP DS3 Service"

I can confirm this way works, if you want to "unplug" the DS3 from your PC so you can use a 360 remote as "Player 1." It also works to "plug in" the controller. Kudos.

Still can't get it to work.

I installed the drivers, rebooted plugged in my arcade stick through USB, then ran the exe there and it asked me to reboot again. After rebooting and plugging in the stick, games still don't recognize it as a 360 pad.

Should probably update the OP, but this only works with Sony official DS3's and SA's, not 3rd party controllers.

Did you install the BTH update? I had the same issue. See if you can't find your bluetooth adaptor's HID and check if it's in the list of supported adapters on the pcsx2 thread.

any idea what happens if I wanna use my PC paired DS3 (Bluetooth) on my PS3 again?
I have to connect it via a cable again right?

Press and hold L + R + PSbutton til the player led goes out. Then manually turn on your ps3, connect the controller via usb, and press the psbutton again.

Is there any chance this works with Better DS3? Better DS3 has a lot of configurable options (I really like the idea that I can set a profile for Dinput, for use with FF7). I'd prefer to stay as far away from MotioninJoy as I can.

Is there any chance this works with Better DS3? Better DS3 has a lot of configurable options (I really like the idea that I can set a profile for Dinput, for use with FF7). I'd prefer to stay as far away from MotioninJoy as I can.
That would be fantastic if possible. Right now I'm using the wrapper in combination with Xpadder to play stuff like FF7 with my DS3.

I really don't understand everyone's problem with MotioninJoy.

I've had it forever and it's always worked without a hitch for me. I plug in my DS3, MotioninJoy automatically detects it, I enable 360 controller emulation, and get to playing all my games. Couldn't be a simpler process.

It bricked 2 of my Playstation 3 controllers. I can't use them in windows anymore, even on a new comp that has never touched motioninjoy. Had to spend $51 on a used controller for testing to make sure that it wasn't something else.

Add more usb devices to your comp, like a Razer Hydra in my case, and use more than one device per port, and the program shits itself. Try to fix it, things go from bad to worse.

Still debating on waiting up to a year for Xbone contoller/PS4 controller drivers, or blowing $40 on a new DS3.

You can follow my entire saga starting here

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I only use Xpadder because last time I tried motionjoy it appeared to have no joystick to mouse support.

It's actually rather nice to play point and click adventures on the large tv with the nice couch and comfy controller even if the developers only use mouse support.

That would be fantastic if possible. Right now I'm using the wrapper in combination with Xpadder to play stuff like FF7 with my DS3.

Would you mind detailing your set up? I assume you're speaking of the FF7 PC re-release (Steam or otherwise). And, as I understand it, Xpadder is paid software, right?

Konosuke

This is so much better than Motioninjoy. But I can't seem to get Bluetooth working. It syncs but doesn't register any input. Monitor show BTH-00000000 None :|

Is there any way to turn the DualShock off? The 360 automatically turns itself off after 15 minutes but my PS3 controller is still after 45.

edit: nvm, this worked:

kirby2096

Is there any way to turn the DualShock off? The 360 automatically turns itself off after 15 minutes but my PS3 controller is still after 45.
Hold L1 and R1, then press and hold the Home button. That turns it off faster than just holding the Home button, which if you have Steam running eventually opens up Big Picture mode.

Hold L1 and R1, then press and hold the Home button. That turns it off faster than just holding the Home button, which if you have Steam running eventually opens up Big Picture mode.

Mind blown, I will use this a lot.

And another vote to XinputWrapper, its a god send. It even works flawlessly with multiple DS3s on the same BT!

tsab

Got me a Bluetooth adapter from Monoprice so I could game on my PC from somewhere other than my desk, but MotionInJoy doesn't seem to want to detect the adapter. It's a Broadcom 20702. I thought this video might do the trick but no dice. Are there any alternatives to MotionInJoy I could try?

Buy a cheap bluetooth dongle from DX with 2-. I can send you the model I use

edit: damn the alternative to motioninjoy seems easy. I will try it tonight! :)

Stimpack

It bricked 2 of my Playstation 3 controllers. I can't use them in windows anymore, even on a new comp that has never touched motioninjoy. Had to spend $51 on a used controller for testing to make sure that it wasn't something else.

Add more usb devices to your comp, like a Razer Hydra in my case, and use more than one device per port, and the program shits itself. Try to fix it, things go from bad to worse.

Still debating on waiting up to a year for Xbone contoller/PS4 controller drivers, or blowing $40 on a new DS3.

You can follow my entire saga starting here

My apologies if this comes across as absolute ignorance, but I do assume that you reset the controller, right?

Had you disabled driver signatures with Windows 8? If you hadn't, and still haven't, you probably should. You're likely to run into problems sooner or later because of it.

Buy a cheap bluetooth dongle from DX with 2-. I can send you the model I use

edit: damn the alternative to motioninjoy seems easy. I will try it tonight! :)

It's quite easy! I actually discovered it on my own earlier today, went to recommend it to someone just now and saw that they had linked back over here. I couldn't stand motionjoy. I'm so damn glad that there's another simple alternative.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Still unable to get Bluetooth working with Xinput Wrapper.

It says it's currently supported (USB\VID_0A12&PID_0001)
Currently Supported Dongles

Tips?

reinstall fixed, forced on W7.

Also, is there any driver like this (that runs at system level) for converting DirectInput into Xinput? I know of x360ce, but that requires copying files into each specific folder, etc. Pain in the butt.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
worked great for me, I still went back to a xbox controller as I couldn't figure out how to flip the triggers for shooters. If that doesn't bug you, go for it.

Yeah, I was playing the Castlevania demo and block and roll was on the terrible triggers. Not useable. Hopefully somebody figures out a way to flip them.

Stimpack

Yeah, I was playing the Castlevania demo and block and roll was on the terrible triggers. Not useable. Hopefully somebody figures out a way to flip them.

If you start scp monitor, right click the tray icon, then hit configure, isn't there an option for switching there?

I'll try it later, but I've had some issues with running my 360 controller while also running the scp device driver. It seems to just fool my computer into thinking a 360 controller is hooked up at all times, even if I disconnect everything and turn it all off entirely. Sadly some games aren't comfortable with running the 360 controller in the secondary, or they're not willing to take inputs while another device is occupying the first slot. No idea. Not proficient in this driver business and haven't felt compelled to research it. Anyway, I had to remove the 360 driver that it installed in order to use my 360 controller. It's a shame. I don't want to have to go through this every time.

and I know I don't have to switch, but I'm more comfortable with shooting/driving/flying on a 360 controller and rpg/emulation on a DS3.

MNC

Wow 3 pages and no one has mentioned that Motionjoy is no longer needed.

I use a ds3 with this http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInp...-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller?pid=281823#pid281823

Its freaking amazing, no need to open frontends or anything, once paired during install, all you do is press the ps button and it automatically connects to your PC emulating a 360 control so it works in all games right away.

Works with usb and/or bluetooth.

And who would use an actual 360 controller on a PC, the pad is useless for 2d games.

Okay this seems like a good replacement. It says bluetooth dongle will be overwritten when installing: Is there any way to revert that process?

Someone please tell me the correct way to remove MotionInjoy.

Okay I got it. Man, I feel the need to write a customization tool for this... I'm definitely going to write up a few things to get the controllers working and figuring out what's what.

How would I go and uninstall the other SCP Input thing? Am I fucking up my USBs with this as well?

frequency

If you start scp monitor, right click the tray icon, then hit configure, isn't there an option for switching there?

I'll try it later, but I've had some issues with running my 360 controller while also running the scp device driver. It seems to just fool my computer into thinking a 360 controller is hooked up at all times, even if I disconnect everything and turn it all off entirely. Sadly some games aren't comfortable with running the 360 controller in the secondary, or they're not willing to take inputs while another device is occupying the first slot. No idea. Not proficient in this driver business and haven't felt compelled to research it. Anyway, I had to remove the 360 driver that it installed in order to use my 360 controller. It's a shame. I don't want to have to go through this every time.

and I know I don't have to switch, but I'm more comfortable with shooting/driving/flying on a 360 controller and rpg/emulation on a DS3.

To solve your issue with the 360 controller being Player 2:

Stimpack

To solve your issue with the 360 controller being Player 2:

"even if I disconnect everything and turn it all off entirely."

I tried that, sadly. It still shows up as #2. I even tried changing the ports and everything afterwards. I did all I could think to do, and in the end the only solution I found was disabling the 360 driver that it had installed. Thanks for the tip, though!

frequency

"even if I disconnect everything and turn it all off entirely."

I tried that, sadly. It still shows up as #2. I even tried changing the ports and everything afterwards. I did all I could think to do, and in the end the only solution I found was disabling the 360 driver that it had installed. Thanks for the tip, though!

Ah sorry.

That's weird. It does keep a fake 360 controller "connected" and you can even see it in Control Panel > Devices. Stopping the service should remove that and everything should work. But I guess there are a lot of shoulds on computers that just don't.

Stimpack

Ah sorry.

That's weird. It does keep a fake 360 controller "connected" and you can even see it in Control Panel > Devices. Stopping the service should remove that and everything should work. But I guess there are a lot of shoulds on computers that just don't.

Very true. It's not that big of a deal, I guess. I still very much prefer it to MotionJoy. If it gets annoying enough I'll probably end up tinkering with it.

that's for inverting the sticks

Oh, damn, sorry. I saw something that said invert or switch and naturally assumed it was referring to the shoulder buttons. Kind of weird that there would be an option for inverting the sticks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

This works. I plugged the PS3 controller in via USB before doing your method and Win8 found the "PS3 controller" and tried to install it (apparently it does nothing though) and then went and did your stuff ignoring the "plug in the PS3 controller" since it was already plugged in and it works like a charm.

But I'm wondering if I get a 360 controller for some couch shooter action, would that mess with this work around since Win8 is thinking the PS3 controller is a 360 controller or would they have a separate profile?

Does this thing work with PS3 arcade sticks?

Edit: Doesn't look like it does :(

IIRC Mad Catz fixed their arcade sticks later on past the first revision for PS3 sticks to work on PC's but the first editions/launch sticks can't due to the motherboard or whatever issues they had. You might want to ask in the Arcade Stick thread and confirm with Markman if there is a PS3 stick that will run on PC with drivers, otherwise you might have to buy a 360 stick and dual-mod it?

Stimpack

Holy crap it actually worked!

At first I didn't understand what you meant, but I had a quick look at this video and it worked. I had no idea this little button existed before.

Thanks man :)

No problem. I did the same exact thing and had the same exact problem a couple of days ago. Had absolutely no clue that the DS3 had a reset button.

Stopping the service disconnects the controller.

I solved this problem by creating 2 .cmd files. One to start the service and one to stop it and I went a little further and added references to the files to my desktop context menu so I just had to right click my desktop and options were there to start and stop the service. You could just use shortcuts or run the files directly as well.

To stop the service use this command:

sc stop DS3Service

To start the service use this command:

sc start DS3Service

I just tried to play Skullgirls with my 360 stick after using the DS3 via wireless as my main PC controller for a while.. Now my PC doesn't want to recognise my stick. Any ideas?

So I'm not sure what happened, but now my DS3 doesn't work, and my 360 controller has limited functionality.

I performed the installation steps for DS3 Service just as explained, except I chose to "Force Install" because bluetooth wouldn't work otherwise.

Everything was working fine for a few weeks, but now my 360 controller is acting wonky. For some reason, Steam Big Picture no longer recognizes the analog sticks. Nor does pressing the Guide button work while in games. It certainly worked before.

Additionally, my DS3 no longer connects to my computer. The LEDs on the back just blink continuously, never connecting. I tried installing the DS3 Service again, but no luck. Maybe I'll try uninstalling.

I'm not even sure how to go about scrubbing my computer clean of this stuff. How would I wipe both the 360 drivers (since it's plug and play, I'm not worried about that) and the xinput wrapper?

Top Bottom