• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AM2R: The Metroid 2 HD remake Nintendo never gave us comes out August 6th!

GamerJM

Banned
No.

Just out of curiosity, I just totalled up the posts that were purely about C&D in this thread. Out of a total 81 posts at that point, 41 were posting purely about the game being shut down. That's over half the thread. Half the thread is shit. And yes, I admit, I contributed to a couple.

What's the point of any fan project threads here when half the topic is filled with this kind of crap? I see the same with emulation threads where people repeatedly denounce it as wrong and illegal.

Coming into a thread just to say LOL THIS GONNA GET SHUT DOWN isn't clever. It isn't correct. It's tiring.
Sorry guys.

Maybe the OP should have included something about Nintendo historically not shutting down these kinds of games. If you don't follow the scene for fan games it's an easy assumption to make considering the fact that historically a decent amount of other companies have issued C&Ds. And honestly, I think it's kind of fair, since it is illegal to use an already existing IP to develop a completely new game (even if Nintendo themselves won't do anything about it).

JaseMath

If the C&D goes out, my heart will break for the dev. Such fantastic work. True labour of love right there.

Hipster opinion time: the simple graphics, repetitive, spartan music and lack of a map added a feeling of dread and foreboding to metroid 2 that was a rarity for Nintendo games and especially game boy games, in my opinion. Wandering around looking desperately for a metroid as the monotonous soundtrack droned into my head was a surprisingly gripping experience.
It's cool that all these years later, people want to breathe some new life into this old game, tho

Jesus Christ people, stop with the C&D stuff. Nintendo do not shut down fan projects like this unless they are sold for a profit. I cannot recall a single instance where Nintendo has C&D'd a ROM hack or fan project like this, ever.

And before anyone says OOT 2D, that was the creator being an ass and trying to get out of the project. Nintendo didn't do shit. Nintendo did recently take down a browser version of SMB that was playable in widescreen - but that was essentially piracy and affecting their bottom line. Pokemon is also out of their hands, as the Pokemon Company issue the C&Ds.

Look at smwcentral.net! Thousands of hacks! Full disassembly of Mario World and Yoshis Island with the code hosted online! Been running over a decade! No C&Ds. Ever.

What about Zelda Classic? That's gotta be shut down by now right? Nope, still going!

Finally, here's Nintendo saying this on one occasion, but they have made their stance very clear many other times:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/meeting/100629qa/05.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.212334-Nintendo-Doesnt-Want-to-Shut-Down-Fan-Projects

So, please - can we stop with this stuff? It happens in literally every thread regarding Nintendo fan projects.

Good to hear then.

Mory Dunz

Maybe the OP should have included something about Nintendo historically not shutting down these kinds of games. If you don't follow the scene for fan games it's an easy assumption to make considering the fact that historically a decent amount of other companies have issued C&Ds. And honestly, I think it's kind of fair, since it is illegal to use an already existing IP to develop a completely new game (even if Nintendo themselves won't do anything about it).

Several have been mentioned in the thread so far I believe.
The fan games I've done haven't been shut down as well.

Rich!

Several have been mentioned in the thread so far I believe.
The fan games I've done haven't been shut down as well.

I worked on Zelda: Parallel Worlds (ROM hack). In development for ages, threads on Zelda fansites, acmlm, zophar, etc. Announced ahead of time. No C&D. And that's even being sold as a repro now by many outlets.

Nairume

Banned
I worked on Zelda: Parallel Worlds (ROM hack). In development for ages, threads on Zelda fansites, acmlm, zophar, etc. Announced ahead of time. No C&D. And that's even being sold as a repro now by many outlets.
It's almost as if not asking for money for it/to work on it, not branding it in a way that people could confuse it as being official, and not trying to compete with an official product are all good ways to avoid legal issues when making a fan work,

Menitta

I think that, regardless of any company's history, one should be quiet about a fan remake. In Nintendo's case, you never really know what they're gonna do. I have doubts about this project which is why I'm not getting super excited. I don't think it will get shut down, but you can never be too certain.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I really wish the developer(s) would have kept the release date under wraps and just stealth released it when it was ready to go. Nintendo may not have bothered this because of the sheer amount of time it's taken and figured it would never get released. Well guess what? You just announced the game is practically done and will be releasing it. :/

As already mentioned, when will fan projects learn to KEEP QUIET and do not announce/say anything until the freaking project is done!!!???

CO_Andy

0hTfHhS.png

Here's another target for Ninty's lawyers

Nairume

Banned
I think that, regardless of any company's history, one should be quiet about a fan remake. In Nintendo's case, you never really know what they're gonna do.
They very clearly focus on stuff that

a) asks for money in some form or another (re: Zelda anime kickstarter, Starfox anime patreon)

b) competes with an existing product (fan version of Twilight Princess HD)

c) brands itself in a way that could be taken as an official project (Twilight Princess HD, Super Mario 64 HD, Mario Bros X having the supermariobros.org domain name)

And, sure, they have gone after stuff that didn't necessarily break those rules, but enough of what they have done has to the point where, yes, you can kinda predict what projects they'll go after and what projects they won't. As of now, AM2R very clearly doesn't try and present itself in a way that could be confused as being an official product, it doesn't (directly, at least) compete with an existing product, and dude doesn't ask for any money for it.

I never played Metroid 2 and was just thinking the other day that I'd like to play it at some point. This is potentially good timing.

The thing is that most companies don't throw out C&Ds like those people think they do. I can only think of Square-Enix who sends out a C&D if you add much as she a screenshot of your fan-work. Nintendo is one of the most laid back companies in regards to C&Ds. But people like to create drama when there is none, I guess.

More evidence: This has still not been taken down http://mother4game.com yet people bitched from the day it was announced that this game would be taken down soon or as soon as it's released.

aadiboy

Like half the game is playable via demos anyway...I don't think it's going to get C&D'd. I have no doubt this is going to come out and be the definitive version of Metroid 2. But if that's the case, a playthrough of the series will be really weird...going from Zero Mission to AM2R to Super to Fusion means having to get used to entirely different physics and gameplay styles with each game.

Awesome! Didn't expect it so soon, can't wait! I wonder if they still plan on doing an Android port (even though it'd basically be impossible to play with touch controls), I think I remember them mentioning they were thinking of doing it. I think the game is built on Game Maker, which can export a game to Android. It would obviously need tweaking, but it'd be a great bonus for those who want to play it portably.

It's great the fans can celebrate Metroid's anniversary, even if Nintendo won't (properly).

Edit:

I have no doubt this is going to come out and be the definitive version of Metroid 2. But if that's the case, a playthrough of the series will be really weird...going from Zero Mission to AM2R to Super to Fusion means having to get used to entirely different physics and gameplay styles with each game.

That was already the case. The first Metroid is very different from the second, the second played differently than the third, and so on. If anything, Zero Mission and AM2R bring the first and second games to the standard set by Super Metroid. From what I've seen of AM2R, it is a lot closer to Zero Mission and Fusion in physics, so I guess that does leave Super Mission as the slower and floatier odd one out (not saying it isn't great).

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Well I just played the demo and I'm very, very impressed! Super tight and responsive controls along with a nice musical and graphics upgrade. It played really well. Wish the developer(s) all the best and hopefully they'll get to release the whole game.

I really hope this makes it to release. I would've just released it if I were him, announcing a release date is a recipe for disaster recently. The demo is amazing, and I need some new metroid in my life.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit looks great. Now maybe I can finally enjoy Metroid 2.

Is this guy going to redo the music as well?

edit: wait, it took this dude TEN YEARS to make. Sounds like he's rather undisciplined...

Zero-ELEC

Banned

edit: wait, it took this dude TEN YEARS to make. Sounds like he's rather undisciplined...

The game went through multiple engine iterations and was mostly done by a single person in his spare time.

There's this neat little website where you can follow the project every step of the way. It's super neat and informative. All it takes is the ability to read! I know, right? It's great!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Or since this is just a fan project that will never earn him anything more than some appreciation, he probably treated it as a hobby and wasn't focused on getting it out quickly.

I feel like a lot of people treat these threads as a race to see who can throw down their witty C/D shitposts first.

OT - I'm playing through the demo and really enjoying it. Only Metroid I've completed is Zero Mission so I guess this is the perfect next step. Crazy to think about the dev time though, I've heard about this project for YEARS along with some Mega Man X style game that I don't think ever got released.

Blam

Super Mario 64 HD is basically the same thing, except this is actually a full remake and not just a tech demo with no intention of creating the full game.

Well I mean the guy was beging for it he was selling a unity add-on and that demo was the advertisement for it.

Also why does everyone and their mother think this is going to be C&D. It has been in development for 10 years and its most all been documented on his blog youd assume Nintendo would have done something already.

Great news, played the demo of it and I was impressed how mich it has rresemblance it has with the other Metroid games on the GBA and Super Metroid.
Looking forward to it.

Rich!

Or since this is just a fan project that will never earn him anything more than some appreciation, he probably treated it as a hobby and wasn't focused on getting it out quickly.

Yeah

Look at stuff like Zelda Challenge which took years and years and years. Or Zelda 3 Challenge: Quest for Calatia - a Zelda 3 hack that has been in development....since 2002.

It's like, there's a poster earlier in this thread literally saying why the fuck isn't there a Mac version? Because he didn't make one. That's why. No need to get pissy or act spoilt.

ctothej

I have a question about C&D. If you release a fan project with no warning, and then get a C&D after your game is floating around the internet, what happens? Can the company sue you because you released the game? Or are you legally in the clear because you released the game before getting the C&D?

I love the Metroid series but could never stomach Metroid 2 because of the GameBoy hardware. Looking forward to finally getting to experience it all these years later.

It's not OPs job to prevent other people from saying dumb, incorrect shit, especially when the thread is about this fan project and not C&Ds

Enk

makes good threads.
Wow I've been waiting on this for ages now. Mad props to him for the years he took to finish it. It's so easy to get burnt out on a long term, free project like this after a few years. I dabbled just a little bit with the most recent demo and was surprised to see the amount polish and detail that was put into it compared to when I last saw it. Everything seemed to have felt great and animated nicely. Little details like area, enemy, and lore info popping up from time to time, which didn't have to even be in there but was nice to see. Will be playing day 1.

I mean, considering all the Fire Emblem ROM hacks I've played, that are constantly advertised and posted on sites like Serenes Forest and such, without any sort of intervention from Nintendo whatsoever...you guys are worried about nothing. If this guy doesn't ask for money, he will be 100% fine.

That said, it looks good. I might give it a try once it's out!

OmegaDL50

Doesn't look very HD to me.

Something being in HD has nothing to do what it looks like, but what resolution it renders at.

You could have an NES pixel game display at 1280x720 that would be the definition of a game qualifying as "HD"

I don't even know what AM2R's native resolution is, there isn't much technical documentation to read on it from what I could gather from the game website.

Top Bottom