• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon allows scammers to continue to scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Damn, just checked prices and Nier for PS3 is selling for $45+ right now. I guess Automata is driving prices up. Pretty crazy.

Beefy

The scammer will be suspended in the end. But customer service can do nothing apart from pass it on. Seeing how huge Amazon is, I can see it taking a few weeks.

Nudull

Banned
I would've thought Amazon was relatively safer than eBay, but then again, I go with a strict "no zero-feedback, no one under 80%" policy with third-parties.

Carnby

Holy fuck. This is the kind of dense shit that I'm talking about. I tweeted Amazon asking why they allow this seller to continue to sell. Their response was a link to their A to Z Claims policy.

Fuck Amazon.

leroidys

Do you honestly think you won't get your refund? Amazon practically gives out money. They have the easiest, most liberal refund policy I've seen anywhere. Hell, you might even get credit on top of your refund

Two weeks is ridiculous.

Same shit happened to me when amazon failed to deliver a package to an amazon locker. It got returned to sender, and I had to wait 2 weeks to get refunded several hundred dollars for amazon's fuck-up, even after contacting customer support twice. Why does Amazon get to hold on to my money when they are 100% at fault? Oh, and it was 1 day shipping, which in the end was like 3 weeks.

Ridiculous.

Sorry to hear about this OP. I only buy items sold by Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon, or third-party with crazy high reviews.

This is why I only buy from "Fulfilled by" and Amazon itself.
This.

I tell our customers every day to be careful about who they purchase from but hell why are you purchasing from people with no stars? Always be smart and protect yourself. No stars = no buys.I'm glad we have the a to z protection. We tell you 2 weeks but it could be completed faster than that op.

Two weeks is ridiculous.

Same shit happened to me when amazon failed to deliver a package to an amazon locker. It got returned to sender, and I had to wait 2 weeks to get refunded several hundred dollars for amazon's fuck-up, even after contacting customer support twice. Why does Amazon get to hold on to my money when they are 100% at fault? Oh, and it was 1 day shipping, which in the end was like 3 weeks.

Ridiculous.
Depends on the cost, if it's something like over 500 bucks they have to investigate first then so the refund.

leroidys

Depends on the cost, if it's something like over 500 bucks they have to investigate first then so the refund.

This was amazon failing to deliver to an amazon locker, then marking order as 'return to sender'. Nobody outside of amazon was involved. What do they need to investigate?

Shahadan

Here it's mostly the other way around, buyers trying to scam sellers by claiming they didn't receive shit and asking for refunds. Amazon will refund them for any reason so they go and receive free stuff and get money back on top of that.

Zaventem

Great. Now I need to worry about Amazon fuckery just like on eBay.

Dude, i had a fuck up with amazon once and now i triple check every purchase to see if it's a 3rd party seller and if it is i'm checking those ratings. I mean they do show it but i wish it was bolder.

Kite

Nope. I haven't gotten my refund. It won't happen for another two weeks, after Amazon completes their "investigation."

Some bush league shit right there.
The answer to your question if right in your own post lol They're doing their investigation and there is likely a long process that steps that needs to be needs to be followed and documented. Yes, they still need to be followed even when it seems obvious cus lawsuits and shit. Settle down and think about it, it would not be very hard to make a few dozen accounts and mass report some amazon vendor for whatever reason.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I dunno, you knew it was a stupid decision to make... everything about it says "don't buy from this person".

Not that it's right, but it's online shopping 101 though.. don't by from 0 feedback sellers.

I dunno, you knew it was a stupid decision to make... everything about it says "don't buy from this person".

Not that it's right, but it's online shopping 101 though.. don't by from 0 feedback sellers.

have to agree with this one. I know exactly what seller you're talking about- I went to look up the cost of Nier PS3 on amazon a few weeks ago. I own the game, this was just for idle curiosity.

There was one seller offering it WELL below what everyone else was, and the account had been tagged as "just created hours ago" or something similar.

Obvious scam.

edit: just so everyone is aware of what we're talking about here when I say "obvious scam"

qFh4G2i.png

"Fulfilled by" is a great way to end up with counterfeit items though. Unless the seller opts out, Amazon comingles the inventory
I remember reading a few years ago about how a DVD selling business got shut down* due to this comigling occurring. They were getting all the negative hits for somebody elses bootlegs.

*-Amazon locked their account and Amazon wanted money to keep the items in the warehouse perpetually or destroy them. I think they might have refused to offer to send them back.

Sellers are given a little time to respond to A-Z claims and properly fulfill their orders. But when Amazon does shut down a third party seller (and they do!) they do it with extreme prejudice. Some times I reaad the seller forum just for the drama of people complaining that they were removed for selling on the wrong product page, or selling things they didn't qualify for, or whatever.

Expecting it to take 3 days instead of 30+ days is frankly unreasonable. That's not the real speed of business.

Carnby

The answer to your question if right in your own post lol They're doing their investigation and there is likely a long process that steps that needs to be needs to be followed and documented. Yes, they still need to be followed even when it seems obvious cus lawsuits and shit. Settle down and think about it, it would not be very hard to make a few dozen accounts and mass report some amazon vendor for whatever reason.

Lawsuits? Lol. For locking down an account that is highly suspicious? Like when mine was locked down within less than a month after opening it? Locked down by mistake none the less... Naw. It's bush league shit that amazon needs to get their act together on.

Carnby

Put em on blast on social media (FB/Twitter) and hope it gains traction. That seems to be the only thing that makes this work fast.

This worked. Within hours of making this complaint public on Twitter (screen captures included), I received a refund and the scammer's account was shut down. Thanks for the suggestion.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I sold some stuff in Amazon marketplace a while ago and got scammed. The guy said he recieved an empty package despite my proof of the package's weight and whatnot. Amazon sided with the buyer. :(

Mr. Hyde

I just ordered a camera off a third party Amazon seller. I was hesitant bit it had over 200 reviews with a 97 percent positive rating. I am still nervous but I will see soon. That sucks about what happened. I saw some just launched Amazon sellers offering a 6d and a 5d mark III for 350 bucks each with a like new tag. That's the most obvious scam I've seen recently.

kavanf1

More than likely this is a failure in Amazon's internal escalation process. Clearly they have good processes for refunding based on scams, but the flaw seems to be that they don't have any way of flagging repeat offenders and banning them, so each instance of fraud is treated in isolation. Chances are they are aware of this and are building some kind of tooling to address it but that takes some time to develop and then implement to ensure it does its job without screwing up anything already in place.

Not trying to excuse the delay, just offering up a likely scenario for why it's taking some time.

I sold some stuff in Amazon marketplace a while ago and got scammed. The guy said he recieved an empty package despite my proof of the package's weight and whatnot. Amazon sided with the buyer. :(

Oh shit, and I thought Amazon hasn't been as bad as eBay with their buyer-always-right bullshit, seems like they're equal in that regard now.

Is there a way to filter out search results for products which won't get "fulfilled by amazon"? I already looked but can't find anything in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom