• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.co.jp is now offering international shipping for games and consoles

dolabla

Woo hoo! They finally shipped out my Neon Orange Vita (along with the accessories I bought with it). It shipped out sooner than expected since they got one of items (that was on back-order) in stock a couple of days ago.

zoobzone

There's now a home page for Amazon Global International Shipping on Amazon JP which has links to all eligible items: http://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=agbhqpEN?node=3534638051

Yeah I just noticed it.

HnNJk7c.jpg

y3mv7Nx.jpg

But it's still not shipping global lol, maybe they'll bring it back eventually.

Mm, had a look yesterday evening and despite it listing the items it's still pretty ambiguous as to what ships globally and what doesn't, even when something is fulfilled by Amazon.

Nice to have the hub page, I guess.

LiK

I guess the demand was so large they dedicated a hub to make it easier to find and also control the stock more easily.

Edit: looked through the list a lot of the games are Western games. Will look more throughly later.

Woo hoo! They finally shipped out my Neon Orange Vita (along with the accessories I bought with it). It shipped out sooner than expected since they got one of items (that was on back-order) in stock a couple of days ago.

Apparently there are no Vita systems available for order now. I was going to pick up a Orange Vita... =(

Xamdou

Trying to order the Amazon exclusive limited Fire Emblem If sound track from amazon.jp... to ship to the US so is the import taxes and custom duties already included in the total amazon bill?

Trying to order the Amazon exclusive limited Fire Emblem If sound track from amazon.jp... to ship to the US so is the import taxes and custom duties already included in the total amazon bill?

US dont pay import taxes or customs. Source: I've ordered from Amazon.jp many times.

LiK

you don't need to worry about that so go for it.

hongcha

For whatever reason, they WILL ship the Wii U Super Mario Maker console internationally (it's about 32,000 yen plus 5700 yen shipping). They get a small number in stock throughout the day, but they sell out fast.

Sorry for bump, but I'm pleased with my experience trying to order something

So ordered Stranger of Sword City for Xbox One. $27 for the game, $9 for shipping. So $36 for the whole shebang to ship to the US. This price is cheaper than the $40.49 the game currently costs digital.

Claims it is arriving between May 24-25 (I live in eastern US). I'm skeptical since thats only 5 days but we will see. I'm in no rush to have it, just wanted to test the waters and I think the physical version looks cool.

I am a happy man.

zoobzone

The dream is not dead!

I notice amazon.jp has changed quite alot of games back to allowing global shipping.

FF15, Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, Dragon Quest and lots of many of games allow it again. The only game I found that didn't do global shipping was Battlefield 1 and COD Infinity Wars.

I guess they took it down earlier because they had to revise the shipping fees (EMS announced they will increase shipping fees from June 1)

Time to lighten up the wallet again.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the selection seems good again, but it looks like they increased the shipping and handling cost on game preorders?

Preordering any game right now charges 1,976 yen ($18) for shipping and handling, whereas any released and in-stock game only costs 971 ($8) yen to ship.

Yeah the selection seems good again, but it looks like they increased the shipping and handling cost on game preorders?

Preordering any game right now charges 1,976 yen ($18) for shipping and handling, whereas any released and in-stock game only costs 971 ($8) yen to ship.

I noticed this too. Luckily I got my preorder in for PADX in before it switched to $18, might just have to wait for games to release now before purchasing.

*This was the most appropriate topic I could find for this question, considering I can't make threads.*

What's the best way to order from Amazon Japan?

I've made an Amazon Japan account and registered all my details (contact info, international address, card details etc.) in order to purchase a game art book.
However, I was wondering if ordering direct from Amazon Japan was the cheapest and most efficient method. So far the Order Summary looks like this:

Items: GBP 29.51
Shipping & Handling: GBP 9.57
Import Fees Deposit GBP 7.82
Order Total: GBP 46.90

It's not too much money, but a bit more than what I was initially looking to spend. I've since read about services like Tenso that order items to a Japanese address before shipping them out abroad, but I understand that these services are more for items unavailable to international customers, and a few reviews I have read have said that they charge much more than if you were to order direct.
Any thoughts or advice on this? Anyone have any past experience in ordering from Amazon Japan?

Vans

In my experience, the best way to order from Amazon Japan is picking several items for a single package. If I'm not mistaken, Amazon calculates a base shipping fee + an additional fee per item.

Certain items in Amazon JP (such as manga) are bundled as "sets", these "sets" count as 1 "item". So you can place an order for a videogame + 20 volumes of a manga and it'll be calculated as base shipping fee + 2 additional items (regardless of weight, even). Thus, saving money on shipping.

What you want is to optimize the "base shipping" fee as much as possible.

Edit: I should also mention that every single order I've made in Amazon JP arrives the day after. If it doesn't, it doesn't take more than 3 days for it to arrive.

In my experience, the best way to order from Amazon Japan is picking several items for a single package. If I'm not mistaken, Amazon calculates a base shipping fee + an additional fee per item.

Certain items in Amazon JP (such as manga) are bundled as "sets", these "sets" count as 1 "item". So you can place an order for a videogame + 20 volumes of a manga and it'll be calculated as base shipping fee + 2 additional items (regardless of weight, even). Thus, saving money on shipping.

What you want is to optimize the "base shipping" fee as much as possible.

Edit: I should also mention that every single order I've made in Amazon JP arrives the day after. If it doesn't, it doesn't take more than 3 days for it to arrive.

Bah. I only want one item! Fuck it, I've ordered it...

And holy shit, 1-3 days from Japan to the UK!? I didn't get an estimated delivery, so I'll wait and see! Thanks for your help!

Eolz

I usually use amazon japan only when it's hard to get some items some other way (usually magazines and some books, or for a while videogames).
Other websites such as CDJapan, Nin-Nin, nippon-yassan, amiami, etc are usually better for single items or stuff like artbooks, figured, etc. You just need to take the time to compare really.
The good thing with amazon japan though, is that you mighy avoid customs more often and since you pre-pay customs, they often reimburse later those fees if you don't go through them (hence the higher price than on other websites).

I usually use amazon japan only when it's hard to get some items some other way (usually magazines and some books, or for a while videogames).
Other websites such as CDJapan, Nin-Nin, nippon-yassan, amiami, etc are usually better for single items or stuff like artbooks, figured, etc. You just need to take the time to compare really.
The good thing with amazon japan though, is that you mighy avoid customs more often and since you pre-pay customs, they often reimburse later those fees if you don't go through them (hence the higher price than on other websites).

Thanks for these suggestions! Just checked them out - CDJapan doesn't appear to have it, Nin-Nin appears to be more expensive all told, Nippon-Yasan doesn't have it either and Amiami is out of stock!

On the subject of the Import Fees Deposit that Amazon charges (around £8 in this case) - is there a chance I'll get that back then? I'm assuming it won't have any issue through customs being a book and all...

*EDIT* I might add that there was only 1 left on Amazon, so I felt pressured to get it!

Vans

One perk I'd like to point out is that Amazon points can be a real money saver. I was able to buy a copy of Twinkle Star Sprites for the Saturn at half price by using Amazon points.

Vans

Every point is worth 1 yen, I've had some items give back about 1k / 2k points. 100 points is a little low, but it still piles up.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Can someone tell me why this version of berserk musou is almost ¥2000 more than the other option?
link

Retailer exclusive DLC content which usually isn't worth the money unless you're a hardcore fan

Berserk Warriors [GAMECITY online shopping & Amazon.co.jp limited privilege] Shiruke (pirate graffiti Ver.) Costume download serial mail delivery (first inclusion benefits (Kyasuka (bathing Ver.) Costume download serial) included)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Too bad 3DS still has region lock

Vans

Just for clarification: this version includes both download codes, the Schierke costume and the other DLC one (the girl in the bathing suit?)

Retailer exclusive DLC content which usually isn't worth the money unless you're a hardcore fan

Berserk Warriors [GAMECITY online shopping & Amazon.co.jp limited privilege] Shiruke (pirate graffiti Ver.) Costume download serial mail delivery (first inclusion benefits (Kyasuka (bathing Ver.) Costume download serial) included)

That version includes a special costume download code that is exclusive to Amazon. It says it's for Schierke.
I am a big enough fan to own several behelits, figures, and two framed laserdiscs, but not hardcore enough to pay so much for character skins. Plus, I would not be using the codes as my vita is set to na, and I am not going through the hassle of changing regions for dumb skins.

Thanks for the info!

Ephidel

Übermatik;209657113 said:
On the subject of the Import Fees Deposit that Amazon charges (around £8 in this case) - is there a chance I'll get that back then? I'm assuming it won't have any issue through customs being a book and all...
If all you ordered was a book then you'll get the deposit portion back eventually. Eventually really is the key word though, as in my case it's taken anywhere between 1-3 months for the fee-correction email to arrive and for the money to come back.

If you order books at the same time as other items that do have import fees due then you'll get approximately the right amount back to cover the estimated fees for the books, but it will be reported oddly in the refund email. I suspect that Amazon is given the refund and then they attempt to spread it out amongst the purchased items, which results in the refund email telling you you've paid fees on the books (which shouldn't have fees) but lesser fees than expected on the non-books (that should have higher fees). It always ends up being roughly what I expected though so I've never actually taken the calculator out to check (and it's not like you could reclaim it if it was wrong anyway).

Zafir

Oh right, nice to see they've finally added that as well on Amazon JP. Sadly due to GBP being in the shitter right now I've actually had to cancel stuff I've ordered from Amazon JP. >.<

data

I was looking at HHKB and Filco prices on amazon.jp... and I found out that Logitech is called Logicool in Japan

lol

why

If all you ordered was a book then you'll get the deposit portion back eventually. Eventually really is the key word though, as in my case it's taken anywhere between 1-3 months for the fee-correction email to arrive and for the money to come back.

If you order books at the same time as other items that do have import fees due then you'll get approximately the right amount back to cover the estimated fees for the books, but it will be reported oddly in the refund email. I suspect that Amazon is given the refund and then they attempt to spread it out amongst the purchased items, which results in the refund email telling you you've paid fees on the books (which shouldn't have fees) but lesser fees than expected on the non-books (that should have higher fees). It always ends up being roughly what I expected though so I've never actually taken the calculator out to check (and it's not like you could reclaim it if it was wrong anyway).

Ok, this is good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

One last thing I've seen someone comment on is that it's best to go through the checkout using Yen, as "your card's currency conversion will be fairer than Amazon's". Any truth to this? I didn't seem to notice much difference, all told, and for the price I was paying I suppose I shouldn't be too bothered anyway?

Ephidel

Übermatik;209682271 said:
One last thing I've seen someone comment on is that it's best to go through the checkout using Yen, as "your card's currency conversion will be fairer than Amazon's". Any truth to this? I didn't seem to notice much difference, all told, and for the price I was paying I suppose I shouldn't be too bothered anyway?
It depends on your bank.

If your bank is reasonable then it might work out cheaper but it probably won't make much difference. If your bank is garbage (like mine) then you're probably better off paying in pounds.

I'm with Natwest so there is no way in a million years I would let them process the transaction in yen, because they have lousy rates, additional fees for handling charges in foreign currencies, and then they'd make me pay them some additional percentage of the cost for the privilege as well. Letting Amazon skew the exchange rate ever so slightly in their favour is preferable by far.

On the other hand, if I'm placing preorders for items that come out more than 14 days from now they have to be paid in yen, but luckily my mum lets me put them on her card - she's with Nationwide, and their rates are better and they don't do any of the bullshit Natwest does. Then I pay her back when she's charged. Her bank's exchange rate is marginally better than Amazon's but there's not much in it, honestly.

Jeels

So, other than videogames, anyone have recommendations for other products unique to Japan that Amazon.jp lists for international? Clothes and home things, etc.

Chesskid1

Banned
i've been looking to get okami for ps3 sice i'd like to get it physical, and it comes with english subtitles and a soundtrack CD. averages like $45 on ebay.

just picked it up for $34.xx shipped off amazon after remembering this thread. hell yeah.

Y9sMKbz.png

searching this thread yield 0 results for okami so it's my duty to post it.

Koppai

i've been looking to get okami for ps3 sice i'd like to get it physical, and it comes with english subtitles and a soundtrack CD. averages like $45 on ebay.

just picked it up for $34.xx shipped off amazon after remembering this thread. hell yeah.

Y9sMKbz.png

searching this thread yield 0 results for okami so it's my duty to post it.

Wait it does have English!?

Spinoff90

Just ordered Uppers for my first Amazon Japan order. Ended up being about $15 Canadian less than it would have been on HMV Japan who I had been using so that is nice. Delivery estimate is faster too and HMV Japan were already fast for me. Thinking about the money I could have been saving on other stuff is depressing though. Had never bothered to actually try the checkout process so kept having it tell me it couldn't ship to my address. Even with Uppers it says it can't ship outside of Japan on the description and when I added it to my cart and did the estimate shipping cost it said it couldn't be shipped to me. But sure enough when I went through the actually checkout process for the first time there was no problem letting me ship it here so other stuff I didn't think could ship here probably could have.

Top Bottom