• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon Fury X Series | HBM, Small Form Factor And Water Cooling | June 16th

How do you get 980 levels with $500 price tag. That's like $100-200 cheaper than the 980

Yeah, but when we/WCCFTech say it's likely faster than a 980, they are probably talking about the ref 980 clocked at 1,216MHz boost.

We all know that non-reference 980s have a higher boost clock of around 1300-1350, and then realistically these can in turn be overclocked to 1400-1500 on stock voltage, on air (or without attaching a water block). At this point, we are talking massively faster than a ref 980, which is what the Nano is being compared to in all likelihood.

So, unless the Nano can overclock like a champ (you know, a real overclockers dream), then it isn't going to top a 980.

Bizzquik

Gain of salt an all, but WCCFTech rumors are saying $400.

Interesting.

I could be very interested in this card if that's true and the performance is noticeably better than the 390x.
(still wish it had more than 4gb VRAM, and it probably is another new AMD card that does not do HDMI 2.0)

No chance in hell it's going to be 400$ if it's a full Fiji chip. This is a niche of a niche card, and will carry a premium as the fastest mini-sized graphics card. It's not meant to compete against the standard sized competitors. Good price/performance isn't what Nvidia/AMD offer with cards like these.

Thraktor

No chance in hell it's going to be 400$ if it's a full Fiji chip. This is a niche of a niche card, and will carry a premium as the fastest mini-sized graphics card. It's not meant to compete against the standard sized competitors. Good price/performance isn't what Nvidia/AMD offer with cards like these.

While in general I agree with you, there isn't really such a thing as "cards like these". When was the last time AMD or nVidia launched a downclocked version of their top chipset in a compact form factor?

While in general I agree with you, there isn't really such a thing as "cards like these". When was the last time AMD or nVidia launched a downclocked version of their top chipset in a compact form factor?

Well not Nvidia/AMD themselves, but AIBs that sell the cards. Like for example the Asus DirectCU Mini.

Irobot82

Now they say official price is $649 same as Fury X. WTF are they thinking?

They says release date September 10th and three months later for custom AIBs

x3sphere

Now they say official price is $649 same as Fury X. WTF are they thinking?

They says release date September 10th and three months later for custom AIBs

Well HBM already adds a premium, and they are likely binning these for lower voltage so I wasn't expecting a competive price on the Nano. I'm surprised people were actually thinking $499 was realistic.

Honestly, the price on this is more justifable than the Fury or Fury X, considering it's the only card with this kind of performance in a small form factor.

Thraktor

Well not Nvidia/AMD themselves, but AIBs that sell the cards. Like for example the Asus DirectCU Mini.

I don't believe they've used that on any top of the line chipsets, though, have they? I know they have a 970 version, but no 980 or 980ti.

More pertinently, though, the economics are different when it's AMD producing a dedicated "Nano" card versus Asus taking an existing card and putting a smaller cooler on it. For one, Asus are using the exact same 970 chips, whether they're going into one of their DirectCU Mini cards or one with a full-size cooler, so the prices will naturally be similar. AMD, on the other hand, have the benefit of being able to bin their dies, so hypothetically the best performing ones (i.e. capable of hitting the highest clock-speeds) go into the Fury X, and the lowest performing ones are capped at lower clock speeds in the Fury Nano. The lower-binned dies are cheaper (or more accurately worth less), which could hypothetically allow them to sell the Nano at a lower price.

Of course, the opposite could also be true. AMD could take the best performing dies for the Nano variant, due to their ability to hit the same speeds at lower clock rates, producing a lower-power card with the same performance as the Fury X. In such as case, you would actually expect the Nano to be their most expensive card, similarly to how Intel's low-voltage laptop CPUs cost noticeably more than desktop variants based on the same die.

Aside from costs of production, there's also the question of how AMD sees the card from a strategic standpoint. They may see it as a good chance to claw back some market share from nVidia, and hence sell it at a lower margin in exchange for those perceived gains. On the other hand, they could see it as you say, as a niche of a niche, and simply try to make a good margin on a card they feel won't have a huge audience.

The issue here is that we have no solid info on performance, no knowledge of AMD's Fiji binning process (if any), no idea of AMD's strategic goals for the card, and no prior history of similar cards to base our assumptions on. It's extremely difficult to make educated estimates of price without any of those things.

Urthor

Are people actually expecting them to offer market beating price/performance on this card?

What are they expecting them to do, get people putting two small form factor GPUs in SLI because they priced them so low they offered better price/performance than a 980gti?

There's zero chance this card is going to be a winner for the budget minded GPU buyer. For one thing the pricing has generally always ensured that the top of the range is close to the winner in gross performance AND price performance for years, with few exceptions, because it's incredibly intelligent for vendors to price that way.

Randam

Amd already released some benchmarks few days ago.

Radeon-R9-Nano-Hot-Chips-2015-00.png

Just search for news from 3 days ago.

Bizzquik

per wccftech:
AMD Radeon R9 Nano Unleashed at $649 – Fastest Mini-ITX Card With Full Fiji GPU, 4 GB HBM and Performance Faster Than a GTX 980

Welp, so much for competing on price.

FLAguy954

C'mon, AMD. Get competitive. Price this thing at $400.

Give me a reason to buy your products.

This. I'll sell my 290 for on as it woould be a side-grade/upgrade for better power consumption and early adoption of HBM.

EDIT: The card is fucking $650?! Holy shit, AMD fucking sucks right now :(.

per wccftech:
AMD Radeon R9 Nano Unleashed at $649 – Fastest Mini-ITX Card With Full Fiji GPU, 4 GB HBM and Performance Faster Than a GTX 980

Welp, so much for competing on price.

Do you hear that? That's the sound of AMD's marketshare continueing to plummet.

edit: and that whole wccftech article reads like a press release.

Where are the performance/watt comparisons with the gtx 980? Where are overclocking numbers?

Why do they glance over the fact that the card throttles under load? (which I guess means there is NO overclocking potential)
They also say the vram can't be overclocked.

How many of these are they going to sell anyway, the power consumption compared to the fury x suggests this is a heavily binned part.

FLAguy954

Thats's the sound of AMD gasping for air.

AMD is literally selling all of their best 28 nm cards above $550 to compete with only 2 of NVidia's cards (980 and 980 Ti). It will be a fucking year before they reinvigorate the mid and low end markets with exciting cards.

Man, I really thought they would price the Nano appropriately, at least to be positively perceived as trying to compete. Seems like they are actively committing suicide with these prices.

AMD is literally selling all of their best 28 nm cards above $550 to compete with only 2 of NVidia's cards (980 and 980 Ti). It will be a fucking year before they reinvigorate the mid and low end markets with exciting cards.

Man, I really thought they would price the Nano appropriately, at least to be positively perceived as trying to compete. Seems like they are actively committing suicide with these prices.

You don't compete by selling ABOVE a certain price, you compete by selling at a low price.

The whole fury x (creating a whole other price tier for high end gpus) and rebranding is biting them in the ass and I'm loving it. If only nvidia got served the same kind of humble pie when they pull this shit.

It's as you said "Seems like they are actively committing suicide with these prices"
Couldn't agree more.

In some better universe AMD will eat their humble pie, release pirate islands with a 17billion transistor 500 dollar high end gpu and well perfoming affordable midrange cards with HBM2 at 250, ditch the stupid fury brand, take away a ton of market share, have nvidia be in the same position as amd is right now in 2 years and force them to price their shit decently as well.
I know, I know, I'm a hopeless optimist and a dreamer :)p)

No reason it can't happen though, this rebrand and 600+ dollar gpu thing is a phase we seem to go through every 7-8 years or so, last time the 8800gt happened and put an end to it. Before that the radeon 9700/9800 pro did.
All it would take is for one of the two to CHOOSE to compete to get another 8800GT peak. The hardware is certainly there with 14/16 nm chips and HBM2 coming next year for huge boosts to performance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Price is disappointing to say the least if it is above $550. The heatpipe on the VRMs is sick as hell though.

dr_rus

So this thing will be slower than Fury but will cost as much as Fury X. That's a hell of a premium for the small form factor.

I doubt AMD has a lot of these hanging around, they'll probably sell whatever stock they'll have. These are probably binned from already a very limited amount of Fiji chips, so Nano is more of a high end PR card rather than the usual value offering people are used to expect from AMD. At least this time they can actually market it as something better than their competition, even if it's a niche.

tuxfool

Banned
I doubt AMD has a lot of these hanging around, they'll probably sell whatever stock they'll have. These are probably binned from already a very limited amount of Fiji chips, so Nano is more of a high end PR card rather than the usual value offering people are used to expect from AMD. At least this time they can actually market it as something better than their competition, even if it's a niche.

AMD have recently stated their intent to stop competing on Price. As neither Intel nor Nvidia are competing on price and are both trouncing AMD, this card is probably a start to their newer strategy.

Irobot82

The future keeps getting more and more exciting. With the usage of HBM becoming the standard in the future we will no longer have giant BRICKS OF GPU'S!!! Cool stuff here, but too pricey for me. Looking forward to next year!

Randam

maybe AMD wants to sell the gpu section.

AMD have recently stated their intent to stop competing on Price. As neither Intel nor Nvidia are competing on price and are both trouncing AMD, this card is probably a start to their newer strategy.

I can't tell if you're serious. Did an AMD rep seriously say that?
Haha what delusional dreamworld do they live in that they think they can just 'choose' to not compete price wise and stay afloat.

maybe AMD wants to sell the gpu section.
I wish they had never bought out ATI to begin with :( Bunch of incompetents at the helm there are just dragging ATI into the abyss with them.

AMD sure doesn't price themselves like they only have less than 20% of the market. The only way people are going to choose AMD over Nvidia at this point is if AMD offers better performance at a better price. Pricing the Fury X and the R9 Nano at the same price as the 980 Ti when it performs worse (at least according to Anandtech's Bench) isn't going to change anyone's minds.

WTF! $649 wtf they thinking you can't compete with that price, hope it's a mistake.

Jesus that thing's going to be $900 in Canada isn't it.

I don't understand what AMD is doing. The only reason I liked them in the past is because I could get good performing cards in the $200 - $300 range. I don't know what to replace my 6950 with. I guess just wait a few more years and hope die shrinks start happening again. :\

Pakkidis

I just checked newegg (Canada) and the Fury X is just as much as the 980ti :( I have always gone with AMD but if this is how its going to be then they are really in trouble.

AmyS

A week old, but anyway:

AMD readies three new GPUs: Greenland, Baffin and Ellesmere

AMD’s code-named “Arctic Islands” family of products will include three brand-new chips – “Greenland”, “Baffin” and “Ellesmere” – a source with knowledge of AMD plans said. The “Greenland” will be the new flagship offering for performance enthusiasts, whereas the “Baffin” and “Ellesmere” will target other market segments, such as high-end and mainstream. It is unclear whether the “Arctic Islands” family will take in any existing products, but it is possible that AMD may address certain markets with previous-gen products.

“Greenland” will be AMD’s first graphics processing unit based on the all-new micro-architecture, which development began a little more than two years ago. While the architecture is currently known as another iteration of GCN, the new ISA [instruction set architecture] will be so considerably different compared to the existing GCN that it has every right to be called “post-GCN”, the source said. It is likely that the “Greenland” will retain layout of the contemporary AMD Radeon graphics processing units, but there will be significant changes in on the deeper level.

The only official thing currently known about the new architecture, which Mark Papermaster, chief technology officer of AMD, calls the next iteration of GCN, is that it is projected to be two times more energy efficient compared to the current GCN. Essentially, this means means major performance enhancements on the ISA level. Thanks to the fact that the “Greenland” graphics processing unit will be made using either 14nm or 16nm FinFET process technology, expect it to feature considerably larger number of stream processors than “Fiji”.

The “Greenland” graphics processor will rely on the second-generation high-bandwidth memory (HBM), so expect ultra-high-end graphics cards and professional solutions with up to 32GB of DRAM onboard with bandwidth of up to 1TB/s. Consumer-class “Greenland”-based products will likely come with 8GB – 16GB of memory. Due to usage of HBM, expect the “Greenland” chip and upcoming graphics cards on its base to resemble the currently available AMD Radeon R9 Fury-series adapters.

The number of transistors inside the “Greenland” as well as its die size are unknown. Since 14nm/16nm FinFET manufacturing technologies have considerably (up to 90 per cent) higher transistor density than contemporary TSMC’s 28nm fabrication process, it is logical to expect that the new flagship product will feature 15 – 18 billion of elements if it retains around 600mm² die size from the “Fiji”.

It is believed that AMD has already taped-out its “Greenland” graphics processing unit and is about to get the first silicon in the coming weeks.

KitGuru Says: As it traditionally happens, everything looks very good on paper. If AMD manages to release three brand new chips within a reasonable amount of time in 2016 and the chips will be competitive against Nvidia’s, then it has all the chances to win back market share. However, one should keep in mind that the “next GCN” or the “post-GCN” will not compete against Nvidia’s “Maxwell”, but will have to compete against Nvidia’s “Pascal”, which promises to be very powerful. As a result, expect 2016 is going to be an interesting year for the GPUs

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...gpus-for-2016-greenland-baffin-and-ellesmere/

Taking a wild guess here, whatever AMD's architecture after Arctic Islands / R-400 series is, meaning whatever AMD has in R&D now, likely intended for PC in 2018 (R-500 series) could very well possibly be the architectural basis for the GPUs that go into the next Xbox and PS5. Regardless of the GPU size / performance targets for the SoCs that Microsoft and Sony go for in their next generation.

Edit: recently posted

AMD Next Generation ‘Arctic Islands’ Graphic Cards Will Be Manufactured on the 16nm FinFET+ Node From TSMC

http://wccftech.com/amd-arctic-islands-next-generation-graphics-16-nm-finfet-tsmc/
http://www.tomshardware.de/arctic-islands-greenland-hbm2-tsmc-pascal,news-253564.html

Top Bottom