• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RDNA 5 To Be A Completely New GPU Architecture From The Ground Up, RDNA 4 Mostly Fixes RDNA 3 Issues & Improves Ray Tracing

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

AMD's next-generation RDNA 5 GPUs are going to be built from the ground up and will aim to be the "Zen" moment for the Radeon division.

AMD Radeon Might Have To Wait Till RDNA 5 To Have Their "Zen" Moment As RDNA 4 GPUs Mostly A Tweak With Improved Ray Tracing​

The leaker states that AMD's plans with the RDNA 3 GPU lineup didn't go as expected. The issues with RDNA 3 were caused by the final silicon not meeting internal performance projections and it was evident that the efficiency increase wasn't necessarily as much as it was hyped up to be. The NVIDIA "Ada" GPUs on the other hand destroyed AMD RDNA 3 chips in efficiency figures across all segments. Furthermore, AMD had to tone down its initial designs which were going to incorporate up to 192 MB of Infinity Cache to just 96 MB due to cost and power constraints.

The GPU generation following RDNA 4 is expected to be built on a brand new architecture designed from the ground up and it isn't even known if AMD will retain the RDNA 5 branding for it or switch to something entirely new. The promise of the "Zen" moment has long been awaited in the Radeon family and RDNA 5 is expected to be just that.

AMD will be conducting a full case study and R&D when designing the next-gen architecture. RDNA 5 is also said to be the primary reason why RDNA 4 is being cut off so much so that more time can be put into perfecting the generation that comes after it all the while offering a mainstream series that doesn't require lots of development costs. The GPU architecture is also rumored to be used in the next-gen Medusa APU lineup featuring Zen 6 cores.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm sorry but they always said this and it always ended up in disappointment. Show me something different this time AMD
Not really. When they redesigned the GPUs from GCN to RDNA it actually made them somewhat competitive with Nvidia at least before the Raytracing and AI stuff started becoming more prevalent

So a new redesign for RDNA5 is the sufficient and correct way to go. Instead of just chasing Nvidia they should focus on emerging technologies since that's what Nvidia always does and how they stay ahead

Mr.Phoenix

So its not gonna be called RDNA5.

Guess the PS6 will be on the 3rd or 4th generation of this new architecture.

If I were AMD, make a GPU that matches the performance of Nvidia GPUs but comes in at a lower price. Or don't bother. Over a decade of not being good enough is enough.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
AMD needs to worry about improving their version of frame gen and FSR. They should consider devoting silicon space to it like nvidia.

AMD recently acquired an ai company, so it might help.

Caio

Xbox Two will be full RDNA5, PS6 will just be RDNA4+
XBox Two ? It will be never called like this.
Both PS6 and the Next XBox will have RDNA5 Architecture or beyond, considering we won't see them until Nov 2028, unless Microsoft decide to release their beast before. Too early to say.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Don't people say this about every new Radeon generation coming out next? I'll believe it when I see it.
The nvidia brand is just too strong at this point. Even if Radeon matched GeForce performance exactly, I still prefer nvidia.

Perrott

Or 2026. That's just 2 years away. A re-tool would be a 4+ year process
Uhh, no.

From GCN5 (2017) to RDNA1 (2019) there was just a two year gap. These giant architecture jumps are always worked on in the background in parallel to more polished and advanced iterations of the current architecture.

RDNA5 will be ready for when the next Xbox releases in 2026. PlayStation 6 would be RDNA6 in 2028.

I don't see this imaginary "Zen Moment" happening for AMD, they're just not as good as Nvidia.

Even when they have the chance, like they did against Lovelace, they completely dropped the ball on price and performance.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Their drivers are just as good as Nvidia’s. Things happen. If you have to roll back drivers or install a mod as a temporary fix for a fourteen year old game you want to play - than do so.
the fun part is that there have been new drivers for months now and I'm still using the good old November 2023 ones. these driver updates aren't even automatic, you can just ignore them if the newest ones have issues

MaKTaiL

Don't people say this about every new Radeon generation coming out next? I'll believe it when I see it.
The nvidia brand is just too strong at this point. Even if Radeon matched GeForce performance exactly, I still prefer nvidia.
My wallet will always say otherwise.

ABnormal

Uhh, no.

From GCN5 (2017) to RDNA1 (2019) there was just a two year gap. These giant architecture jumps are always worked on in the background in parallel to more polished and advanced iterations of the current architecture.

RDNA5 will be ready for when the next Xbox releases in 2026. PlayStation 6 would be RDNA6 in 2028.
I still find difficult to believe that PS5 will release as late as 2028. There may be a delayed generation due to economics, but tech obsolescence and console hunger for higher tech will kick in far before that date. I'm more inclined to believe that the new gen will arrive not later than 2027 (PS5 Pro release date is not a parameter to next gen release date, being targeted only to a specific gamer).

Perrott

I still find difficult to believe that PS5 will release as late as 2028. There may be a delayed generation due to economics, but tech obsolescence and console hunger for higher tech will kick in far before that date. I'm more inclined to believe that the new gen will arrive not later than 2027 (PS5 Pro release date is not a parameter to next gen release date, being targeted only to a specific gamer).
I mean, if Tom Henderson says PS6 is 2028, then we have no other choice than to believe him given his immaculate track record having accurately leaked the PlayStation Portal, PlayStation 5 Slim, PlayStation 5 Pro and various PlayStation 5 accessories.

Regarding console hunger, well, that's what the PS5 Pro will be all about: giving a much more higher-end way to experience the games designed for the PS5, which will remain the target console hardware for third-party developers until the arrival of PS6.

It is also worth-noting that PlayStation Studios has their roadmap for what remains of this generation and likely the cross-gen period with the next one locked down by now, meaning that even if Sony wanted to bring forward the release of the PS6, they wouldn't really have the next-gen games to support it's launch, so they ultimately wouldn't proceed with such plan.

Top Bottom