• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD reveals 'Polaris' next-gen graphics architecture

rrs

I wonder what power improvements Nvidia would bring with a die shrink before I get really excited about this. Also, one test for showing power consumption improvements seems like picking the best data rather than showing a whole range of tests

Mifec

That's what I'm afraid of.

Since I assume both NV and AMD will do that I guess we won't get a real high-end desktop part until the end of the year.

I'm already prepared to get a 1080ti a year from now, rip. Already got the money in my foreign acc so I can buy the second it's on sale.

Durante

Given that the new Finfet node is considerably more expensive, there's no doubt they'll mostly harp about the power efficiency and size. Extra transistors won't be free though, so high end is going to be very expensive, and most likely they'll seriously cut the chip sizes. You can't seriously expect AMD or Nvidia to just make a 600 mm^2 chip right out of the gate. This will no doubt disappoint people who are expecting a new Titan by next summer. More than likely all we get to see this year is a mid-range flagship like the 980 that they'll try to sell for $600.
I'd be perfectly happy with a mid-range flagship, as long as it significantly outperforms, say, a 970, across the board, especially at higher resolutions.

I'm afraid we'll only get laptop-level stuff at first.

Hmm. This is from techreport review with 5960x running crysis3.
power-load.gif

I guess 140W is doable with 4790k then.

Especially with a non-OC GTX 950. Shouldn't draw more than 90 W.

Assuming those 90W, that would leave 50W for the rest of the system. Which in turn would put the tested AMD graphics card at just 36W. Sounds pretty good if it proves to be true.

Irobot82

That's what I'm afraid of.

Since I assume both NV and AMD will do that I guess we won't get a real high-end desktop part until the end of the year.

What is high-end now? The $600+ cards?

When I got my 7950 back in 2012. $350 was second best card slot. Are we expecting that or is everything shifted up to like $500 plus.

What is high-end now? The $600+ cards?

When I got my 7950 back in 2012. $350 was second best card slot. Are we expecting that or is everything shifted up to like $500 plus.

That's still more or less the case. The single card flagship is $500, the step down is 350-ish. Above $500 you get the Titans, double GPU cards, etc.

Irobot82

That's still more or less the case. The single card flagship is $500, the step down is 350-ish. Above $500 you get the Titans, double GPU cards, etc.

Hopefully that's the case. I'm upgrading this year. Depending on it my company offers a fitness challenge again or not I'll have an extra $250 to spend. Put in my own $250 and I am looking for the best $500 from green/red team! It's an exciting time. I hope that's enough for an HBM card.

thelastword

Banned
Yh in the video they do say it's a "comparable" GPU to it though.

Edit -

If am not wrong in saying 950 probably has the best perf/watt in maxwell so I could guess they are trying to show the improvements at their best.
And you would be right....the 950 replaced the 750ti as giving the best perf/watt at the low end, so they're probably comparing their lowest end Polaris card to the 950.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Everything they have said suggests that they're first launching lower end products.

Yields with these new processes will favour smaller dies at the start.

What does "lower end" mean in this context? The equivalent of R9 390 or the 970?

belmonkey

Seems like there will potentially be some nice options for "turning your crappie PC into a gaming one" soon with GPUs that use less than 75w and can just be plugged into the motherboard. Makes me curious if anytime soon we will get console level sff GPUs at 25w that will fit in even business PCs with little hassle.

belmonkey

I'd be more excited about the idea of more GPUs that can be simply plugged in because they use under 75w if they weren't coming from AMD. Unless their budget GPUs start working better with budget CPUs.

I honestly hope all the noise about power efficiency (a good thing, mind you) is not indicative of them not having high-end and/or enthusiast class products at the start.
about that ...

Meanwhile RTG has also disclosed that the first Polaris parts are GDDR5 based. Going hand-in-hand with what I mentioned earlier about RTG’s Polaris demonstration, it seems likely that this means we’ll see the lower-end Polaris parts first, with high-end parts to follow.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9886/amd-reveals-polaris-gpu-architecture/2

AmyS

Given that the new Finfet node is considerably more expensive, there's no doubt they'll mostly harp about the power efficiency and size. Extra transistors won't be free though, so high end is going to be very expensive, and most likely they'll seriously cut the chip sizes. You can't seriously expect AMD or Nvidia to just make a 600 mm^2 chip right out of the gate. This will no doubt disappoint people who are expecting a new Titan by next summer. More than likely all we get to see this year is a mid-range flagship like the 980 that they'll try to sell for $600.

Exactly.

So first 400 cards in the summer, still trailing behind Nvidia then. New Titan should be around March and 1080 in June.

Not like that.

"GTX 1080" will probably be first, but that won't be the Big Pascal GP100, but rather a medium sized GPU i.e. GP104.
Not unlike how Nvidia launched the sort of high-end and high priced GTX 980 (but using the mid sized GM204) in 2014 and GTX 680 (GK104) in 2012.

GTX 1080 would be the new high-end card, but not the flagship big GPU of the Pascal family.

Probably Q1 2017 is when a Titan comes out followed months later by a less expensive 1080 Ti.

Top Bottom