• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen presentation shows upcoming PC games, allegedly includes artwork for Halo 3

rrs

ok after watching the video I think it's just a "hey look here's video games" thing that had the first result for big brands images pulled into it

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I know the focus is on Halo, but what's the general consensus with Ryzen CPUs? I was looking at the 1600X, and while the i5 7600K bests it in games, it seems like the potential is there for the 1600X to outperform it.

I'm entertaining the thought of selling my 4690k, motherboard, and ram to do an upgrade.

tuxfool

Banned
I know the focus is on Halo, but what's the general consensus with Ryzen CPUs? I was looking at the 1600X, and while the i5 7600K bests it in games, it seems like the potential is there for the 1600X to outperform it.

I'm entertaining the thought of selling my 4690k, motherboard, and ram to do an upgrade.

Maybe that is a question to ask in the Ryzen OT?

Cranster

Banned
The worst Halo weapon sandbox coming to a PC near you.
Also best campaign.
More like
most disappointing
campaign of the trilogy.

Eitherway if this does happen (and that's a big "IF") I would hope it's a relaunch of the MCC for Xbox One/Scorpio/W10. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

dr_rus

Would be cool to have the Halo trilogy on PC finally. And for MS to remember that they already have 1 and 2 but for some mysterious reason don't sell them in their store.

Uh it doesn't do anything. UWP games can easily be modded.

Not really. All recent UWP games are encrypted.

Blam

Would be cool to have the Halo trilogy on PC finally. And for MS to remember that they already have 1 and 2 but for some mysterious reason don't sell them in their store.

Not really. All recent UWP games are encrypted.

Easily bypassed. UWPDumper was made for that one reason.

JaggedSac

Easily bypassed. UWPDumper was made for that one reason.

Lol. This got me reading about what's been going on in the world of breaking into UWPs and came across this:

https://techraptor.net/content/understanding-forza-horizon-3s-encryption-atari1337

TechRaptor: You said that it connects when in the main menu to get the decryption key from the server. Have you been able to find out if there is any sort of file check on it when it does that as well ?

Atari1337: Allow me to explain how the certification works. It’s quite dumb in all honesty. Microsoft decided that rather than creating a new method for encryption they would use EFS, bad move. EFS relies on user accounts and certification files stored as .pfx. This is normally fine, one account has access to the pfx file and you cannot access the files without it. If the pfx file is’t stored on the system, you will never crack the EFS. But this comes with two issues, 1) they can ONLY be decrypted by a user account with the pfx file 2) granting a user that pfx means they can do whatever they want with the files. So to get around this Forza creates a fake user account that is hidden and recognized as a network user, and attaches the .pfx to that user. Then when the game is run it asks that user to give the app permission to view its own files. So in this way the app has access to the non-EFS files. It would have been smarter to avoid using EFS altogether because by its very nature the files are exposed at some point in the process.

In that same article it talks about Turn10 trying to obfuscate file names with a static hashmap of character mappings, lol.

Top Bottom