• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig worked 10.5 years of 80+ hour weeks at Naughty Dog, says AAA not worth it

AmuroChan

She joined in, what, 2014? Spending 2014-2018 developing a completely new game (even if a lot of the concept stuff is pre-built when working with something like Star Wars) doesn't seem like a particularly slow turnaround.

EDIT - yeah, looks like she left ND around March 2014 and joined Visceral in April 2014.

Yep, was going to mention that as well. 4 years for a AAA game doesn't seem that much longer than the typical AAA dev cycle.

It's an arms race and really the winners are the publishers and gamers. Developers can't complain because then they'll just get replaced.

Nobody is winning here.

Publishers are getting squeezed and taking much larger risks.

Gamers are getting less "big" games every year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Hennig wasn't even in a technical role, and it still was brutal for her. Now imagine the guys in technical roles, they definitely have it the worst IMO.

This is exactly why I never went into video game development despite the fact I have a computer science degree and learned Japanese.

rackham

Banned
Not trying to intentionally sound like an asshole but what work does a writer do for 10.5 hours/day, 7 days/week?

And let's be real here, the writing in uncharted is nothing special or amazing. About as generic as you can get and by the time 3 comes around, feels like they gave up writing anything substantial or meaningful. Instead it was "hey look this guy is a magician, kind of. Maybe this old lady is a lot older, maybe. And check out these spiders we borrowed from Indiana jones and The Mummy. I mean, totally original spiders. Yah.."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't get it. I realize some overtime is sometimes needed but 80 hours a week every week? Why not just hire another person and split the workload at that point? Crazy hours like that sound mega expensive.

On first party, I imagine some of the concern is budget. Ubisoft and EA can put 500-1000+ people on a game pretty easily. Sony, it's harder.

Not trying to intentionally sound like an asshole but what work does a writer do for 10.5 hours/day, 7 days/week?

And let's be real here, the writing in uncharted is nothing special or amazing. About as generic as you can get and by the time 3 comes around, feels like they gave up writing anything substantial or meaningful. Instead it was "hey look this guy is a magician, kind of. Maybe this old lady is a lot older, maybe. And check out these spiders we borrowed from Indiana jones and The Mummy. I mean, totally original spiders. Yah.."
She was a creative director.

Could you imagine putting in all of that time and effort only to have gamers whine and complain about the finished product? I'd want to kill my customers.

I mean there are people in the Gears 4 review thread complaining about the graphics and they just published an article earlier this week talking about the crunch getting that one out the door.

Your project management sucks if this is something you're doing "a lot."

There aren't nearly enough good, adequately trained, project managers/producers in the world regardless of the type of software you make. I've worked places where even though we made software the people running the company said we were a marketing company and refused to follow proper project management process.

Video games is the same. Too many people in charge and end users who don't think of it as software development.

george_us

Yep.

Gamers are really insatiable to quote Reggie.

You can't have it all. You want amazing graphics and production values, but you also want games coming out a ready clip too on top of reasonable work hours? Where's the compromise?
Not only that but you want games to either stay the say price forever or become even cheaper. You can't have it both ways.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
When it comes to the AAA industry it seems like only nintendo somehow always gets high employee satisfaction and stuff like that, is it because their games arent usually doing the standard AAA type of games?

Bishop89

not trying to justify it, but a lot of industries and professions have "Crunch" time. It's hardly exclusive to this industry.

But yeah sucks that she had to go through that.

I cant be bothered doing my 38 hours a week. Dont even want to imagine 80...

MilkyJoe

Visceral's AAA Star Wars game isn't out until Fall 2018

So are we getting any other Star Wars games in the mean time? Because Uncharted: Beggars Canyon, is not really pumping my nads, as it were...

Luigiv

Crunch, again, is a huge industry problem not enough people talk about. It comes up once in a while and people have a little chat about it but that's not enough. There needs to be constant attention and a constant dialog if anything is ever going to change.

Eh, a small handful of enthusiasts talking about crunch on a web forum isn't really going to do much to fix the problem. This isn't a consumer issue (not directly anyway). "A constant dialog" is important, but not coming from outsiders like us. The industry needs to sort out this matter for itself.

It's an arms race and really the winners are the publishers and gamers. Developers can't complain because then they'll just get replaced.
How are gamers winning? We get less games, less franchises, less niche games, shitty launch practices from pre order bullshit to products that weren't ready to ship and everything is homogenized like some videogame production line to make sure these games sell to as many people as possible.

Mediking

Yikes.... I guess I hafta to experience this when my job as director of FFXVI starts to ramp up...

Seriously though... yikes.

Soi-Fong

Yep.

Gamers are really insatiable to quote Reggie.

You can't have it all. You want amazing graphics and production values, but you also want games coming out a ready clip too on top of reasonable work hours? Where's the compromise?

Add to that even the review process for games. Here in GAF anything below an 8.0 - 8.5 is a bargain bin buy. As a developer myself hearing that sort of thing really gets to you. When you worked so hard on something and based off some reviews, all that work is whittled down to "bargain bin," that freaking hurts.

It's an industry where innovation reigns supreme, but that innovation comes with a heavy price.

I'm pretty sure it's the reason why many devs at AAA studios eventually leave to form indie studios.

For those who say, that devs should unionize and put limits on work hours.. That comes with a price as well. Games that have a dev time of 3 years will now take 4 or 5 years. Publishers therefore have to pay more. That won't come free and more charged DLC will be passed down to the consumer. Then you have the ire of the gamers complaining about said DLC. It's an endless cycle.

There's a cause and effect for everything in development. Nothing is as easy as just "let unionize and limit work hours!"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When it comes to the AAA industry it seems like only nintendo somehow always gets high employee satisfaction and stuff like that, is it because their games arent usually doing the standard AAA type of games?

Riot has been pretty well known for being a great place to work: http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/10/l...loper-on-glassdoors-best-places-to-work-list/

Justin Richmond actually ended up there after being at Naughty Dog. A lot of people were like "What? Why!?!" in the thread that was announced, but I think this helps paint the picture.

Javin98

Banned
Reading this as a student of Game Development, specifically Game Tech, is frankly, terrifying. I'm not sure I'll be ready for all that.

Curious how much she made. I think a lot of young folks would kill for a job with ND... get a few years dedicated to the job, make lots of money, but eventually you need to cut clean from that crazy work culture.

To add, it seems like a toxic cycle. Youll have people come in who want nothing to do but to work, while others deteriorate from the intensity. Those who want to make the money, experience, and go above and beyond will always be there, and the rest are forced to keep up, against their will.

I edited pretty slowly, but I added this to the OP to help explain:

Yeah i mean you can get away with that because that game can sell with SW name .
It would be hard to do that with new IP or other games.
So don't think that really solves the problem facing AAA games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So are we getting any other Star Wars games in the mean time? Because Uncharted: Beggars Canyon, is not really pumping my nads, as it were...

Battlefront 2 is out next year. If you're interested in a campaign, EA Motive seems to be making one for it.

This is also an example of what I meant earlier. When EA wants a major feature added to a product, they can just grab an entire new studio and put it on the project instead of trying to lump all the pressure onto DICE because of economies of scale. Not everyone can.

Yeah i mean you can get away with that because that game can sell with SW name .
It would be hard to do that with new IP or other games.
So don't think that really solves the problem facing AAA games.
Yes. Most of the discussion revolves around just making digital downloadable titles with variable pricing, but obviously we're moving out of AAA at that point.

dracula_x

We've seen the industry largely move to service games toward this end.

The development team just makes regular content drops on to existing games that they can much more easily plan for and have way less financial consequences of missing release dates.

The base products also take a very long time to release these days and new ones are much less frequent.
Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem. SaaS or not, you can't miss deadlines If your product is not successful enough.

I think it's extremely sad that this is still the state of the (AAA+) videogames industry.
I don't see things changing for companies like Rockstar or Naughty Dog anytime soon because they're being heralded as industry kings and the majority of the gaming community will look away due to the quality of their games.

the worst bit is unrealistic work expectations & crunch are dismissed by the public if the product is good.

see red dead redemption.

Soi-Fong

Riot has been pretty well known for being a great place to work: http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/10/l...loper-on-glassdoors-best-places-to-work-list/

Justin Richmond actually ended up there after being at Naughty Dog. A lot of people were like "What? Why!?!" in the thread that was announced, but I think this helps paint the picture.

Riot isn't constantly making new games though. They have a cash cow that they just have to keep updating to keep up with the meta.

That's different from a studio like ND.

I'm in crunch right now. We're doing roughly 12 hour days, but it's going to finish up in the next few weeks (because the game will be released) , then it'll be back to the regular 9-5.

It's one of the major benefits of not having a publisher. We never work weekends (even now) and the vast majority of the time we don't do ridiculous days. There are some people who choose to do extra, but it's entirely voluntary and you're not looked down upon for leaving at five. It's a nice environment.

I know folks in AAA though, and I feel sorry for them.

Yikes.... I guess I hafta to experience this when my job as director of FFXVI starts to ramp up...

Seriously though... yikes.

Will your eye bags be bigger than Tabata's at the end?

Pre-book a plastic surgery appointment.

lol jk

-------

This is why if I ever get into videogames it'll be small time indie or as a writer in a team with a good working environment /delusions

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't get it. I realize some overtime is sometimes needed but 80 hours a week every week? Why not just hire another person and split the workload at that point? Crazy hours like that sound mega expensive on top of everything else that comes with it.

That's actually a really good point. If someone is working double time, you're basically paying for an extra person and a half. You could hire two people at 40 hours per week, actually save money, and have the added benefit of not literally working your employees to the edge of death. If you're worried about carrying a bloated payroll once the project is done, just hire on contract the same way other project-based industries (aerospace,etc) operate.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like a AAA game being developed over a long period of time isn't going to make matters better for developers. Even with less people over a longer period of time to get the same result, you're running the risk of not enough games coming out if you're a publisher or manufacturer.

So what's going to have to end up happening in most cases is scopes will have to be drawn back to make things more manageable.

I have someone very close to me that worked those hours for over 25+ years. It is NOT worth it. The money isn't worth endangering your health, nor your mind.

Curious how much she made. I think a lot of young folks would kill for a job with ND... get a few years dedicated to the job, make lots of money, but eventually you need to cut clean from that crazy work culture.

To add, it seems like a toxic cycle. Youll have people come in who want nothing to do but to work, while others deteriorate from the intensity. Those who want to make the money, experience, and go above and beyond will always be there, and the rest are forced to keep up, against their will.

I don't think the amount of money made even matters in these cases.

When I finished crunch at R* from doing basic QA I had £10k in the bank, mostly because I had no time to spend a large part of the money I earned, I also put on 3 stones in weight, had trouble sleeping and barely seen daylight for 3 months but as long as I got dat sweet money eh!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have someone very close to me that worked those hours for over 25+ years. It is NOT worth it. The money isn't worth endangering your health, nor your mind.
Amen to that.

I'm down from 50-60 to 32 and even with the pay cut this is way better.
And I used to chuckle at the concept of work/life balance. I was wrong.

(I mean I also had a stretch where I was working ~80 hours a week and I couldn't handle it. It poisons everything.)

This is one of the reasons I get so annoyed when people have such hipster attitudes about AAA games. It's frustrating because these poor devs pour their lives into these games, I think that demands at least a minimal level of respect(hopefully a lot more).

Top Bottom