• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An In-Depth Look At Online Multiplayer in Splatoon 2

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm I'm guessing this is why I've been getting disconnects at times. Like I probably disconnect once every 15 rounds of play or so, sucks when it happens in ranked or Salmon Run, cause in Salmon Run you lost points as well as getting a warning that you will be blocked from playing online if you keep disconnecting. Haven't had any issues during gameplay outside of that though, shooting seems fine and I haven't been killed behind any walls randomly or anything yet. Hope they can bring the tick rate up or something. Game overall works alot better for me than Splat 1 did atleast tho.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I honestly do believe this is an issue sometimes.

I think this could give an advantage to the octobrush and trishosher. At least in theory.

But it would be difficult to identify and I only noticed it a couple of times with a charger hitting my previous position and me still ending up dead. And I didn't give it too much of a thought as this happened also in Splatoon 1.

Briarios

I didn't know enough about how the online functions to put it into words, but I'd been feeling like attacks I could escape in the first game after a shot or two we're killing me in this one ... Now I know what was happening.

I was feeling a little crazy while playing, so this explains a lot. Maybe I'll be less angry now lol

Hmm I'm guessing this is why I've been getting disconnects at times. Like I probably disconnect once every 15 rounds of play or so, sucks when it happens in ranked or Salmon Run, cause in Salmon Run you lost points as well as getting a warning that you will be blocked from playing online if you keep disconnecting. Haven't had any issues during gameplay outside of that though, shooting seems fine and I haven't been killed behind any walls randomly or anything yet. Hope they can bring the tick rate up or something. Game overall works alot better for me than Splat 1 did atleast tho.

Why would a slow tick rate cause disconnects? You realize if it was increased, the average data transfer would rise, meaning you're more likely to be disconnected

I mess up often enough, I'm not denying that. If I didn't I would've had rank S+ on all three modes. But I get splatted with just one hit and sometimes without one at all or even behind a wall. In the original this happened much less.

Like another poster said, given the tick rate, this almost surely causes issues for a number of people, but I'm worried tons of people are going to start attributing every issue they have to this

Hugstable

Banned
Why would a slow tick rate cause disconnects? You realize if it was increased, the average data transfer would rise, meaning you're more likely to be disconnected

ahh ok, I wonder why I keep getting those disconnects then. Like it's not crazy often, but I don't wanna get blocked from playing :(

I think this could give an advantage to the octobrush and trishosher. At least in theory.

But it would be difficult to identify and I only noticed it a couple of times with a charger hitting my previous position and me still ending up dead. And I didn't give it too much of a thought as this happened also in Splatoon 1.

Yeah, I don't think it's a major issue. It definitely happened to me a few times in Splatoon 1 as well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sounds terrible. That's a shame. Can't help but wish that Nintendo would invest in its online infrastructure and functionality for its big titles.

Nightii

Banned
Does this explain why the splat roller seems to only bump into some people, yet completely destroy others?

That's probably due to the new roller mechanics, rolling starts out slow and picks up speed after a bit. Rollers can only OHKO people by rolling at full speed, except for the Flingza Roller if I recall correctly.

Ogodei

I've noticed fewer disconnection errors compared to Splatoon 1, *especially* in-match where my connection would sometimes get into a funk where i would d/c 30 seconds into the match every time. Same ISP as i had before (Comcast) though a different city (Pittsburgh vs Alexandria, VA).

M3d10n

The game being entirely P2P is to blame. Since anyone can be the host, they have to fit within a reasonable upstream bandwidth limit. Since Nintendo is going to start charging for online pretty soon, they should have invested in dedicated servers already.

J@hranimo

Banned
I've noticed fewer disconnection errors compared to Splatoon 1, *especially* in-match where my connection would sometimes get into a funk where i would d/c 30 seconds into the match every time. Same ISP as i had before (Comcast) though a different city (Pittsburgh vs Alexandria, VA).

Yeah this is due to the game using less data overall, so for some this will reduce the amount of disconnects to the expense of other aspects of the game online.

I have played about 15-20 matches today. I only managed to finish 3-4 due to shitty connection errors.

It isn't me because all my other games seem to be okay.

That happened to me on Wii U until I switched to a wired connection, that might help you too. I've not had a single disconnect in Splatoon 2 with 70 hours now clocked in while playing with the LAN adapter.

DrWong

That happened to me on Wii U until I switched to a wired connection, that might help you too. I've not had a single disconnect in Splatoon 2 with 70 hours now clocked in while playing with the LAN adapter.
Yeah for disconnection a wired connection is the solution.

About the lag/tick rate issue it doesn't fix anything.

One thing people getting disconnects might want to do is consider switching to a 5GHz connection if their router supports it. There's less devices that use that so less interference. I did that during the first Test Fire and it instantly cleared up all my disconnects

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do you really need hyper accuracy in a game that's mostly about painting walls? "Oh noes mah wall got painted .001ms later than it should and it's off by 1mm!" Lol. Leave the precision stuff to more serious adult shooters like COD and just have fun painting without worrying about the 'esports' part.

Do you really need hyper accuracy in a game that's mostly about painting walls? "Oh noes mah wall got painted .001ms later than it should and it's off by 1mm!" Lol. Leave the precision stuff to more serious adult shooters like COD and just have fun painting without worrying about the 'esports' part.

Lol

nynt9

While we're at it, let's make the game 30fps too! In fact, this isn't a serious game so we don't need to see that well, let's make the game 240p.

Why settle for something bad when you can ask for better? Regardless of the game better performance will always feel better.

The game being entirely P2P is to blame. Since anyone can be the host, they have to fit within a reasonable upstream bandwidth limit. Since Nintendo is going to start charging for online pretty soon, they should have invested in dedicated servers already.

16hz is low even for p2p games.

BashNasty

This is the sort of thing that will be a huge controversy here, but will go completely unnoticed in the outside world.

A 16hz tickrate is far from ideal, but in a game like Splatoon, it's totally fine.

Nightii

Banned
This is the sort of thing that will be a huge controversy here, but will go completely unnoticed in the outside world.

A 16hz tickrate is far from ideal, but in a game like Splatoon, it's totally fine.

I understand why you think this way, just hope you trust the people that played the first game and this one when they say that no, it's not fine.

SpokkX

The Switch is very bittersweet, I feel. It does so many things right, but its online aspects are a complete disaster. Like, worse than 3DS and Wii U by a mile.

What?
Switch online worse than wiiu ingame multiplayer? Not by a longshot imo just looking at splatoon 2 and mk8d

They work flawlessly for me and way better than their respective wiiu titles (which i had issues with on wiiu)

Btw 16hz is fine in a "play for fun game" imo

phanphare

Banned

the painting walls bit makes me think that this is satire but...

Hugstable

Banned

Have you played the game? Pretty much every mode outside of Turf War does require you to be more precise than "hey I just gonna shoot paint all over the place"

Wonder if the LAN adaptor I got for my wii U works on Switch. Should probably be wired just to reduce any disconnection problems

KrawlMan

What?
Switch online worse than wiiu ingame multiplayer? Not by a longshot imo just looking at splatoon 2 and mk8d

They work flawlessly for me and way better than their respective wiiu titles (which i had issues with on wiiu)

Btw 16hz is fine in a "play for fun game" imo

and Splatoon 2 being first shown off in a hypothetical stadium as an esport, as well as the devs locking down league to only a certain skill level tells me the game has mixed intentions . Not just "play for fun".

B00TE

I do hope this is something they look at, especially since they want us to pay to use online services. Totally fine with that, but I'd like to see improvements. Haven't seen anything as bad as the charger clip in the OP myself yet, but I did see that a lot playing against foreign players in the first game. Wonder if that's one reason matchmaking is limited to closer pings as of right now.
I'm not terribly well read on network junk

shiyrley

Banned
Not very related, but guys please use a wired connection if you can, it will improve the experience for everyone. If you have the Wii/Wii U LAN adapter it will work, if you don't have anything just buy this one which is USB 3.0 (futureproof, Nintendo says they will enable the 3.0 feature of the back USB port later) and works great on the Switch

Smasher89

So they degrade online multiplayer, and at the same time asks for payment, is HD development nearly as costly as they want us to believe? I highly doubt it.

CLEEK

I'm able to play Splatoon 2 outside while tethered to my iPhone with no noticeable difference in the game. I'm sure the portability of the Switch was the driving force behind limiting the data transfer compared to the first game, or other online shooters.

Related to this, I've read on Reddit that certain telcos either make online unavailable, or very prone to issues and disconnects.

Wonder if the LAN adaptor I got for my wii U works on Switch. Should probably be wired just to reduce any disconnection problems
Yeah it works but didn't help for me at least and saw some other people saying the same thing in the thread about AFK (really mostly disconnects). But it's worth a shot.

I theorize that they cheaped out on Switch's internet chip or whatever it is and know that a lot of people have problems with it and because of that also reduced the tick rate for Splatoon 2 from 1 in order to somewhat compensate. But I dunno really.

FingerBang

Wow, this is bad. I've been playing Splatoon 2 every day lately (and probably will until September 6) and haven't noticed any of this issues, but it is something that needs to be fixed.

I personally can't register something like that, but it does seem like an issue to some people.

Question though, how would it affect players using a local wireless connection in tournaments?

Nydius

Thanks for this. It's an interesting read and confirms what I had been feeling as I played. Subjectively, it feels worse to me than the first game. I've felt like there's been a lot of cheap deaths and I've benefited from cheap splats I shouldn't have gotten (especially since I favor high ROF, low damage weapons in Turf War).

At first I was willing to chalk it up to the global matchmaking because I remember a lot of oddball net connection and latency wonkiness in the first game, especially when connected to players from other continents. However, this is happening far more frequently and this breakdown illustrates why. It's hard not to get salty at some of these situations but knowing that a lot of it is out of my control will help limit my frustration while playing, I guess - though I'm frustrated that Nintendo felt this to be acceptable.

But I digress. I'm glad I'm only playing a handful of matches a day this time around unlike the first game. I don't think I could put up with marathon playing the game in its current state. It's very enjoyable in bite size chunks.

Painguy

There is nothing stopping nintendo from letting tournaments run at higher tick rates tbh. So for casual play its no biggy imo. I havent had any network issues tbh, but then again my internet is on roids.

J@hranimo

Banned
I personally can't register something like that, but it does seem like an issue to some people.

Question though, how would it affect players using a local wireless connection in tournaments?

Local Wireless play between 8 Switches could still cause some connection issues, especially if there are other devices in the room causing interference. Wired LAN should be good enough. The tick rate does need to be upped regardless imo.

I'm really having fun, but I have a casual viewpoint of the multiplayer.

Can understand why some pros, hardcore gamers having issue with this.

Playing it for the last couple of nights I was thinking that the tick rate was low. I was thinking around 20-30 hz. Never would I have thought it was something as low as 16hz.... Damn. That's pretty rough. No wonder I have had so many trades and super odd things happen.

It does have the advantage of getting a lot more people in, and for casual Turf Wars I don't think it's generally that big of an issue. Although it does explain a lot of the mutual deaths I have when I take damage after an opponent is dead.

But for me I'm really happy with it. My disconnects have been limited and being on a mobile hotspot, it means I can play the game at least. I wonder if they'll update it and if that would mean I'd get kicked off, or if they could allow players to still use a lower tick rate if they wanted? Like an opt-in to the higher one for Ranked and League modes.

Zemm

It doesn't help that the matchmaking is not regional. Playing against all Japanese players in Splatoon 1 was a terrible experience because you had a minimum of 200 ping if you were from Europe/US.

Mario Kart 8 has a higher tick rate than Splatoon 2 AND regional matchmaking. That a kart racer is better than a shooter in this regard is crazy.

Nightii

Banned
It doesn't help that the matchmaking is not regional. Playing against all Japanese players in Splatoon 1 was a terrible experience because you had a minimum of 200 ping if you were from Europe/US.

Mario Kart 8 has a higher tick rate than Splatoon 2 AND regional matchmaking. That a kart racer is better than a shooter in this regard is crazy.

Splatoon 2 has ping based matchmaking, which is virtually regional by nature. The secret is that the terrible connections weren't because of Japan, it was us all along.

I don't understand the sentiment that this affects competitive play.

Everyone's playing on 16hz so everyone's on a level playing field. If you get an unlucky death once in a match, you probably caused someone else an unlucky death in that same match. It's essentially the rules of the game.

There's nothing that prevents tournament play, or team play in a televised setting like we saw at E3. Competition will truck along just like it did before.

Top Bottom