• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Xbox "generates" $2 billion in losses for MS. Hides it with patent royalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Serious question, where does the money hatting and Doritos budget from?

Curufinwe

Would you be all that surprised to hear of Perfect Dark coming back with a focus on spy/gadgetry, with a game and TV series? With ways to watch and play on any device.

I would be utterly shocked if they thought that was a good idea.

I think ValueAct is behind this. They're either airing Microsoft's dirty laundry in order to get what they want (the elimination of the ED division) or they're lying to get what they want.

They can manufacture a crisis-like situation because of the massive costs involved with developing a new platform.

It's probably true that Xbox has "generated" $2 billion in losses for Microsoft...but ValueAct can take a one-time event and harp on it to grow resentment for an underperforming division.

I don't doubt the shareholder will eventually get their way. If Xbox One underperforms, skepticism will skyrocket and there will be a growing trend to cut Xbox out of the Microsoft umbrella. Even if Xbox One performs per expectations, it's still a segment that, over the years, has generated a loss for the company. We may find it on the chopping block with a new CEO regardless.

Curufinwe

Even if it had a production like Alias? In any case, it's just about building exclusive characters/IP that get people to a cross-platform service.

I think you're underestimating how expensive that would be to do, and the likelihood it would flop. There's nothing about the Perfect Dark IP that makes me think it could become a hit TV series.

The Xbox division is getting little enough return on investment compared to other parts of the company as it is.

Sydle

I think you're underestimating how expensive that would be to do, and the likelihood it would flop. There's nothing about the Perfect Dark IP that makes me think it could become a hit TV series.

It was just an example of monetizing an IP that builds cross-platform audiences.

As for the expense of the show, assuming it builds an audience like any other show, there are ads, syndication, episode/season sales, etc. Additionally, there would likely be cross-pollination of the audiences, so the game could drive show viewership and vice versa.

Phades

Blu Ray never caught on and the physical media market is shrinking fast thanks to streaming services.
Eh what? Is this revisionist history or something? HD-DVD never caught on. Blue ray is nearly the standard now (Regular DVD still exists...).

Streaming vs. physical sales is an entirely different animal and I hear you can still buy vinyl if you are into it, so lets at least try to stay focused here shall we?

twofold

I would argue that bolded part right there because of the Steam Machine....saying you are not trying to enter then console market and then putting out a console-esque product conflicts itself. I see the Steam Machine as a console regardless or what Valve wants to say. The only difference is that they are giving OEM's the ability to make them and also affording users the same luxury. But I fully expect them to make it so it's almost dumb not to buy the Valve version.
It will be subsidized.

It's not going to be subsidised. I don't believe that for a second. It might be sold at a meagre profit - much like Google's Nexus line - but Valve are not going to sell their Steam Machines below cost, and Valve's partners definitely aren't going to sell their machines below cost.

Now, what is potentially interesting is that certain companies (Intel and AMD being two big possibilities) might create Steam Machine specific parts that eschew certain features in favour of lower component costs. That might allow Steam Machines to come in at lower prices than self builds at the expense of some flexibility.

And Valve never said they were entering the 'console market'. Remember, Valve thinks that the console market is going away sometime in the near future. They think that Apple/Amazon/Google/whoever. are going to effectively kill the traditional console market.

They said that their goal with SteamOS is to deliver a more streamlined, console-like experience, which is a completely different thing.

Edit - Although, it seems that you're arguing semantics here. To me, consoles mean locked down ecosystems with little to no room for hardware customisability. Steam Machines aren't going to be locked down and they are going to be customisable, which is the exact opposite of the Xbox One/PS4.

sixamp

Isn't Sony in more financial trouble than the xbox/entertainment div at MS? The playstation is the only that sells
well

Sydle

Isn't Sony in more financial trouble than the xbox/entertainment div at MS? The playstation is the only that sells
well

Their insurance arm does pretty well, bringing in about 60+% of Sony's operating profit. Their electronics divisions have just lost money, but I think that had a lot to do with PS3 mismanagement wiping out everything.

Yeah the Sony and Microsoft console doom and gloom are coming from different angles. The rest of Microsoft does really well, so really the Xbox has been more of a drag on the rest of the company. So they might decide to just get rid of the Xbox division. For Sony, the rest of the company does pretty poorly (outside insurance) and could drag down the PlayStation division.

Yeah I'm sure all this TV stuff is going to work out just great for MS.

Just great.

Yup.

TV audiences have clamored to interact more with content and advertising and that makes them almost natural gamers. Gamers of course have asked for decades now for all of their game worlds to become TV shows.

Finally everybody can get what they've always wanted.

fiyah

It's not going to be subsidised. I don't believe that for a second. It might be sold at a meagre profit - much like Google's Nexus line - but Valve are not going to sell their Steam Machines below cost, and Valve's partners definitely aren't going to sell their machines below cost.

Now, what is potentially interesting is that certain companies (Intel and AMD being two big possibilities) might create Steam Machine specific parts that eschew certain features in favour of lower component costs. That might allow Steam Machines to come in at lower prices than self builds at the expense of some flexibility.

And Valve never said they were entering the 'console market'. Remember, Valve thinks that the console market is going away sometime in the near future. They think that Apple/Amazon/Google/whoever. are going to effectively kill the traditional console market.

They said that their goal with SteamOS is to deliver a more streamlined, console-like experience, which is a completely different thing.

Edit - Although, it seems that you're arguing semantics here. To me, consoles mean locked down ecosystems with little to no room for hardware customisability. Steam Machines aren't going to be locked down and they are going to be customisable, which is the exact opposite of the Xbox One/PS4.

It does seem like a console to me. I do understand your point but let me ask another question. Can you play PC games on this Steam Machine without Steam? Because if not...it's locked down.

twofold

It does seem like a console to me. I do understand your point but let me ask another question. Can you play PC games on this Steam Machine without Steam? Because if not...it's locked down.

Yes, you can. You can install Windows on it if you want to, or use a completely different Linux distro. It's up to you.

twofold

I understand that but it comes with SteamOS and in that sense it's locked down.

What? How is that locked down? Is my Macbook locked down because it comes preloaded with OSX, even though I can install Windows or Linux on it in less than 20 minutes? Is my Nexus 4 locked down because it comes with stock Android, even though I can install any number of ROMs or even other operating systems (Ubuntu, for example) on it? (Hint: The answer to both of these questions is 'no'.)

You're not making any sense.

fiyah

What? How is that locked down? Is my Macbook locked down because it comes preloaded with OSX, even though I can install Windows or Linux on it in less than 20 minutes? Is my Nexus 4 locked down because it comes with stock Android, even though I can install any number of ROMs or even other operating systems (Ubuntu, for example) on it? (Hint: The answer to both of these questions is 'no'.)

You're not making any sense.

OK maybe locked down is the wrong wording for what I'm trying to say. But what I mean is that within the SteamOS environment software will be inclusive to that. Unless you install some other OS whether via dual boot or reformatting. So not lock down but closed software environment.

Did we get any concrete confirmation of the claims in this article? Seems like speculation.

dont say things like that... analysts are generally ridiculed on the gaming forums unless they "predict" something that is in-tune with the community.

then their words are taken "as-is", and no one even bothers to question it

twofold

OK maybe locked down is the wrong wording for what I'm trying to say. But what I mean is that within the SteamOS environment software will be inclusive to that. Unless you install some other OS whether via dual boot or reformatting. So not lock down but closed software environment.

I'm still failing to see your point.

Can you install another OS on the PS4? Or the Xbox One? Can you install whatever software you like on the PS4/Xbox One? No? Then they're locked down.

Can you install another OS on Steam Machines? Any software you want, including stuff like EA's Origin and Ubisoft's whatever it's called? Yes, and yes. So it's open.

SteamOS is going to be open sourced, too, so developers can release their own modified versions of SteamOS, if they want. Never gonna see that happen with a console.

ringlord

$2 billion per year? I don't by it.

$2 billion this year? Yeah, I could see that:

XB1 R&D
Kinect 2 R&D
NFL deal
moneyhatting devs
manufacturing millions of XB1 with no sales to offset the costs yet

Easy to see they could be $2 billion in the red for the Xbox division so far this year.

But their past financials show the Entertainment/Devices divison being in the black since 2008. Android didn't really start to take off until 2009/2010, and MS didn't strike licensing agreements until 2010. Their deal with Samsung wasn't struck until Sept 2011.

So these Android licensing revenues couldn't have begun counting for much until at least 2010.

But 2013? Yeah, I can see that they could hide a lot of the XB1 initial costs by hiding them behind $2 billion in Android licensing fees.

fiyah

I'm still failing to see your point.

Can you install another OS on the PS4? Or the Xbox One? Can you install whatever software you like on the PS4/Xbox One? No? Then they're locked down.

Can you install another OS on Steam Machines? Any software you want, including stuff like EA's Origin and Ubisoft's whatever it's called? Yes, and yes. So it's open.

SteamOS is going to be open sourced, too, so developers can release their own modified versions of SteamOS, if they want. Never gonna see that happen with a console.

You are failing to see my point because you don't want to see it. What I'm suggesting really isn't that hard to grasp. The box (Valve's offering) is a PC you can install whatever on it...that is understood. The SteamOS is open so you can develop your own stuff but the content which will come to it will have to be developed with it in mind. I can't take software I purchased on Origin and play it on SteamOS. In that sense it is locked.

I don't want to argue the point of what is open and what is not. I just don't buy Valve's explanation of what it is and what their goal is. IMO, it's a console....not in the traditional sense of the word but it is. It's as much of a console as OUYA or Gamestick or Nvidia's weird handheld thing.

CLEEK

When an analyst has the following credentials:

- top-ranked software industry analyst for 20 years
- 25 year in Goldman Sachs
- point person for MS during his tenure at Goldman Sachs
- long-time friend of Bill Gates
- long-time analyst of MS from IPO till today

This does not mean he's right in absolute values, but he's not some no-name analyst making predictions on when Apple is going to announce their TV.

ITT - people apparently knowing better than one of the most qualified tech industry analysts, because, well, they just really like playing on their Xbox.

erawsd

Eh what? Is this revisionist history or something? HD-DVD never caught on. Blue ray is nearly the standard now (Regular DVD still exists...).

Streaming vs. physical sales is an entirely different animal and I hear you can still buy vinyl if you are into it, so lets at least try to stay focused here shall we?

Blu ray beat HD-DVD, but DVD has remained the dominant "standard" format. Sony thought Bluray would overtake dvds in 3 years, which it has never come close to doing. So yeah, it didn't "catch on" the way Sony envisioned.

I'm not saying that bluray is dead, it will eventually overtake the DVD. It just won't ever reach the type of market penetration that the other formats have enjoyed because streaming media is the new darling format of the masses. Blu Ray will remain the format of choice for gaming consoles and movie enthusiast.

adixon

Shit would be bad if MS jumped out of the console race.

Really hope they get a good enough foothold this generation that the higher ups decide to stay in the game. Even if I've been disappointed with microsoft for the past several years compared to their awesome beginning of last generation, I think a sony/nintendo only console market would be a bad thing for the industry, and maybe even speed things along toward making this the last generation.

Blu ray beat HD-DVD, but DVD has remained the dominant "standard" format. Sony thought Bluray would overtake dvds in 3 years, which it has never come close to doing. So yeah, it didn't "catch on" the way Sony envisioned.

Where did Sony outline this plan? I'd be interested in reading up on their vision for the format. Got any links?

And Blu-Ray must be doing well enough compared to DVD seeing as in every store that stocks movies where I live (Most notably the HMV store), Blu-Rays currently have just as much shelf space as DVDs do (Bargain sections being obviously mostly DVDs still). However you slice it, it's been a hugely successful format.

erawsd

Ah hah. So this is where critical thinking come into play. If you believe that Sony selling the PS4 at a loss will quickly lead to a profit, then why are we so quick to believe that Microsoft is racking up huge losses on the 360?

Doesn't make sense.

Either these things make money or they don't. They all have the exact same business model give or take a service or two.

Who is "we"? I haven't said a word about Microsoft's situation. You asked "Why the hell is Sony in the market?" and I answered that for you.

RedSwirl

It's hard to say this without sounding like a Nintendo fanboy, but revelations like this really call into question how much financial sense it makes to get into the game console business the way Sony and Microsoft have. Anybody have that spreadsheet comparing the three companies' profits between 1983 and 2011?

Serious question, where does the money hatting and Doritos budget from?

Windows and enterprise services. They play pretty fast and loose with their money.

Where did Sony outline this plan? I'd be interested in reading up on their vision for the format. Got any links?

And Blu-Ray must be doing well enough compared to DVD seeing as in every store that stocks movies where I live (Most notably the HMV store), Blu-Rays currently have just as much shelf space as DVDs do (Bargain sections being obviously mostly DVDs still). However you slice it, it's been a hugely successful format.

It is quite successful but it hasn't replaced DVD yet, which was the original intent, like when DVD replaced VHS.

ITT - people apparently knowing better than one of the most qualified tech industry analysts, because, well, they just really like playing on their Xbox.

Except that his numbers don't make sense at all. Again, to those defending this guy's pedigree, can you explain how ANDROID was covering the losses for Xbox when the big patent deal with Samsung was signed in 2011? So please explain to this MS fanboy how this makes sense? Especially in say 2008-2010 when Android market share was still under Iphone's market share? I can see the 2 billion making sense if you are talking over the entirety of the xbox life or even in years when there is a launch (since MS would rack up a huge cost) but say in 2009? Android sure as hell wasn't covering for Xbox then

erawsd

I couldn't find the thread where much of this was discussed a long time ago. However here's what a little bit of googling kicked up

Blu-ray to outsell DVD by 2011, says Sony Pictures

The reality of 2011 was that Bluray was ~22% of DVD sales.

netBuff

Seriously. The Xbox division just posted record profits last year.

There is no dedicated "Xbox division" in Microsoft's earnings reports, so we don't really know how profitable their whole Xbox endeavour is. That's what this analyst is saying: That they are covering up the poor overall performance of the Xbox with other, unrelated, revenue streams in the same business division.

Kimawolf

Except that his numbers don't make sense at all. Again, to those defending this guy's pedigree, can you explain how ANDROID was covering the losses for Xbox when the big patent deal with Samsung was signed in 2011? So please explain to this MS fanboy how this makes sense? Especially in say 2008-2010 when Android market share was still under Iphone's market share? I can see the 2 billion making sense if you are talking over the entirety of the xbox life or even in years when there is a launch (since MS would rack up a huge cost) but say in 2009? Android sure as hell wasn't covering for Xbox then

Well his pedigree is what gives him "street cred" as it was. This guy obviously has insights and conversations with people we don't so therefore i'll take his word for it over "xdude" or whoever. It's simple as that.

It also explains why these shareholders have been public with wanting to get rid of xbox division. It's not a money maker, it's a waste that's taking away time, money, and energy from their core business.

Well his pedigree is what gives him "street cred" as it was. This guy obviously has insights and conversations with people we don't so therefore i'll take his word for it over "xdude" or whoever. It's simple as that.

Except that his numbers make no sense and as yet nobody has actually answered the question. How can Android patents be covering for Xbox if Android patents didn't kick in until 2011? This isn't exactly that is unknown.

Yes, I understand he has insight based on his background but this seems just plain weird I'm wondering more about the original interview now since as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, serious business reports don't use "fun faces" pics in serious articles. Sure, fluff pieces about how a company tries to incorporate well-being into the daily job, you have these type of photos but this type of article?

Hmm...I wonder if it could mean "opportunity cost" as a lost. Aka the money spent on Xbox could've been spent on a different portfolio and thus generated more of a profit....THAT could make sense.

Taurus

So wait...how bad is Sony doing? I have to imagine its worse.
Let me put it this way:

Nintendo has gaming business.

Sony has TV, blu-ray, gaming, computers, mobile, movie, music, insurance, electronics generally etc. businesses.

These two companies are basically worth the same (Sony's market cap is $17 billion and Nintendo $15,5 billion) although the other one tries to offer everything and the other concentrates on one business.

For comparison, Microsoft as a company is worth $313 billion dollars. Also, just for comparison Samsung who is competing in many of the same product categories as Sony is considered worth $190 billion dollars.

Sony's credit rating might be lowered to junk status by Moody's after latest financial results: http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2013/11/04/sonys-credit-rating-might-be.html

Fitch did this earlier: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/sonys-credit-rating-slashed-to-junk-status/

What is credit rating: http://bobbyfinance.com/2013/04/17/what-is-credit-rating/ (basically means it's harder to get loans, or having to pay higher interest rates on any loans they get in the future.)

Pyccko

Jesus Christ, that's insane. I'm just surprised that board let Ballmer stay in charge as long as they did with losses like that.

P.S. I had no idea you could double bold things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom