• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andor is a five-year story told over two seasons an 24 episodes leading up to where Rogue One begins

ManaByte

Gold Member

new-andor-tw.jpg

The show is set five years before Rogue One. Season 1's 12 episodes are the first year, and then the 12 episodes of Season 2 cover the remaining four years up to where Rogue One begins telling how the Rebellion formed in the lead-up to Rogue One/A New Hope.

The series is done by Tony Gilroy who's responsible for the reshot third act of Rogue One (where everyone died) as well as the same reshoots on Edwards' Godzilla in 2014.

Saiyu

Can't they do something in a different period. So many possibilities and they come up with this. Use your imagination Disney!

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Like Obi-wan, the show will lack any tension because we know that Andor will live. I'm bored already and it's not even out yet.

I want brand new stories, Disney. New stories set in unexplored or rarely unexplored eras. I'm tired of the prequels or anything set in the Rebellion era.

Give me a show in the old Republic era. That's an era that has loads of gaps and since most of it is Legends, it'll be ripe for a TV series or movie.

Give me a show based on the High Republic with that crazy character who's literally a rock! I'd watch that rather than a show that pulls out legacy characters like Darth Vader for the 100th time.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Geode

Fbh

Probably skipping this.
I'm really tired of the OT and all the unnecessary filler stuff surrounding it.

A spin off tv show of a spin off movie about a character I don't even remember. Because this is the only kind of show that's allowed to be greenlit these days right?

new-andor-tw.jpg

The show is set five years before Rogue One. Season 1's 12 episodes are the first year, and then the 12 episodes of Season 2 cover the remaining four years up to where Rogue One begins telling how the Rebellion formed in the lead-up to Rogue One/A New Hope.

The series is done by Tony Gilroy who's responsible for the reshot third act of Rogue One (where everyone died) as well as the same reshoots on Edwards' Godzilla in 2014.

I'm curious on how long each of these episodes will be

sol_bad

The production values of this show look very high, I can't wait to see what it offers. Being a prequel doesn't bother me, the prequel trilogy didn't bother me either even though we knew where the characters would end up.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
More garbage stories to fill in the gaps that don't need to be told much like rogue one
I actually like Rogue One, more than Force Awakens.

But I agree, this and the many others that will follow it will be filler material, with predictable and dull storylines. The writing in Disney Star Wars shows has reached a nadir so I think I'm gonna give this a miss.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The production values of this show look very high, I can't wait to see what it offers. Being a prequel doesn't bother me, the prequel trilogy didn't bother me either even though we knew where the characters would end up.
And Andor doesn't come from a Republic/Imperial world, he was from a Separatist planet. So to him the Empire was the enemy even before they were the Empire.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is all going to be fourteen random miniseries that culminate in an MCU styled "Phase Four," of Star Wars movies involving Mando, isn't it?

Lunarorbit

Wet fart. They over saturated the market and released lots of shit. Are people gonna cry racism if people don't watch andor like people didn't watch ms marvel? (not here,in general).

Or is it the far more likely scenario that others are just as burnt out as I am

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
"Andor" looks like a typo of "Endor." Seems like a weird title for a Star Wars related thing. But this is a prequel for the characters in Rogue One? That film sucked hard, and the most interesting character in it was the robot. No one cares about any of these cardboard cut-out characters, so why make a show about them? I wonder if this will be the end for Star Wars. Probably not though.

Batiman

Banned
Production values look surprisingly a lot bigger than Obi. Surprised that’s the case TBH. Looking forward to this. Trailer looked great.

Fbh

This is all going to be fourteen random miniseries that culminate in an MCU styled "Phase Four," of Star Wars movies involving Mando, isn't it?

I don't know man.
By the time of the events of Mando both Andor and Obi Wan are dead.

This just seems like Disney milking all the nostalgia they can from the OT for as long as they can.

Next up it's going to be "ever wondered about the backstory of Greedo? No? We'll tell you anyway in a new show!!"

That's what's off about it. Obi and Anakin and front line characters and they got the shittiest budget.

It's like Nintendo with Pokémon.

Show was about one of the most popular characters with the (second) original actor reprising the role. They knew people were going to watch it anyway so why bother putting any effort into it.

With Mando and this they actually had to make people care.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't know man.
By the time of the events of Mando both Andor and Obi Wan are dead.

This just seems like Disney milking all the nostalgia they can from the OT for as long as they can.

Next up it's going to be "ever wondered about the backstory of Greedo? No? We'll tell you anyway in a new show!!"

I think the original plan was to have Book of Boba Fett and Rangers of the New Republic to lead into a big Mando crossover with everyone retaking Mandalore. But then Twitter stomped their feet and sucked their thumbs until Gina Carano got fired, and Rangers of the New Republic got silently cancelled/reimagined.

Batiman

Banned
That's what's off about it. Obi and Anakin and front line characters and they got the shittiest budget.
Ya I found that weird. Some parts looked great in obi but overall I’d say it looked low budget compared to Mandalorian and others.

I’m starting to assume it comes down to scheduling and time constraints. Because even the MCU suffers from weird inconsistency. I enjoyed Obi wan but it’s the one show they should of gave the “prestige” treatment to. Mando season 2 is looking show so far.

sol_bad

Star Wars fandom is so weird, so many people wanting so many different things. You have fans upset that the old EU is no longer cannon (even though it was never cannon). Then you have fans that don't want expanded ideas on existing characters. Then you have fans that want entirely new ideas.

It's weird because much of the old EU was expanding on old characters and background characters. Disney are offering up new ideas for existing characters that are different from the EU. People say they should just adapt old EU novels and comics, what's the point of that though? There is nothing new in doing that. Disney are funked no matter what they do.

Star Wars fandom is so weird, so many people wanting so many different things. You have fans upset that the old EU is no longer cannon (even though it was never cannon). Then you have fans that don't want expanded ideas on existing characters. Then you have fans that want entirely new ideas.

It's weird because much of the old EU was expanding on old characters and background characters. Disney are offering up new ideas for existing characters that are different from the EU. People say they should just adapt old EU novels and comics, what's the point of that though? There is nothing new in doing that. Disney are funked no matter what they do.

I would have been fine with Disney adapting the EU. They didn't want to since they would have to pay all the creators of the Stories in the EU. Which I find shady as hell. It's pure greed. I'm a big fan of Mando, and I like some of Disney Star Wars. But I think it would have worked out better for them if they just adapted the EU. I'm a huge fan of the EU, it's what got me into reading as a hobby way back in eighth grade. First Star War novel was I ever read was The Hutt Gambit by A C Crispin. I wish Solo was more of an adaptation of the Han Solo Trilogy by A C Crispin. Those books were amazing. Solo was one of sour points for me since those books from EU were much better in telling Solos Origins

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Well, we have had a few examples of how Disney likes Star Wars, be it an original concept(ish) like Mando, or the ST or Fett and Obi-wan. So I don't think it should be a shock that some folks are pretty glum about ANYTHING they make, regardless of faithfulness to any existing story. Disney has shown that they don't really care about coherent story, internal consistency to established lore, or upholding characterizations earned over decades. Instead they seem to be happy pandering to hypothetical audiences instead of long term ones, focusing on short term story regardless of long term narrative dysfunction, and treating the older material like suggestions instead of a pair of stone tablets highlighting what should and should not be done.

So a certain amount of trepidation regardless of the press copy seems justified at this point.

Compare that to, say, McQuarrie and Tom Cruise pitching M:I 9 with an outlandish concept like Ethan Hunt on Mars. Sure, seems crazy, but those guys have a fucking ROCK SOLID track record with M:I so they have earned my optimism.

sol_bad

I would have been fine with Disney adapting the EU. They didn't want to since they would have to pay all the creators of the Stories in the EU. Which I find shady as hell. It's pure greed. I'm a big fan of Mando, and I like some of Disney Star Wars. But I think it would have worked out better for them if they just adapted the EU. I'm a huge fan of the EU, it's what got me into reading as a hobby way back in eighth grade. First Star War novel was I ever read was The Hutt Gambit by A C Crispin. I wish Solo was more of an adaptation of the Han Solo Trilogy by A C Crispin. Those books were amazing. Solo was one of sour points for me since those books from EU were much better in telling Solos Origins

But what is the point of adapting the EU? You're going to have people still saying that Disney/Lucasfilm are creatively bankrupt and then you're going to have people who read the source material saying it wasn't adapted as well as it should have been. As to them not wanting to pay creators, there is absolutely no proof of this, just assumptions. There is more proof of the opposite by them continually reprinting these books under the Legends branding. Sure, there may have been contract issues in the beginning but Lucasfilm would have had hundreds of contracts with all types of agreements with various authors. It's not like Disney would automatically understand every contract straight away, it would have taken time to work everything out. And IMO, if there is any disgruntled authors, IMO, they are self centred and don't understand or care to understand that there are hundreds of contracts to sort out just like theirs. It's human nature to be selfish so I don't blame them. Give me what I'm owed right now damn it!

Well, we have had a few examples of how Disney likes Star Wars, be it an original concept(ish) like Mando, or the ST or Fett and Obi-wan. So I don't think it should be a shock that some folks are pretty glum about ANYTHING they make, regardless of faithfulness to any existing story. Disney has shown that they don't really care about coherent story, internal consistency to established lore, or upholding characterizations earned over decades. Instead they seem to be happy pandering to hypothetical audiences instead of long term ones, focusing on short term story regardless of long term narrative dysfunction, and treating the older material like suggestions instead of a pair of stone tablets highlighting what should and should not be done.

So a certain amount of trepidation regardless of the press copy seems justified at this point.

Compare that to, say, McQuarrie and Tom Cruise pitching M:I 9 with an outlandish concept like Ethan Hunt on Mars. Sure, seems crazy, but those guys have a fucking ROCK SOLID track record with M:I so they have earned my optimism.

That's where we differ though, I don't think they have significantly broken lore or characterisation.

Billbofet

This looks good stylistically from the trailer, but I will probably still pass. I love Star Wars, but enough is enough with this prequel-ization of shit we already know the ending to. Such a rich opportunity to expand on, and we're still tied to the same Skywalker trilogy scraps. Hope this is good. Rogue One is actually the last SW thing I have enjoyed. That said, fuck them the second they go to Tatooine if they do!!!

Jaybe

That time span is going to be a LOT of exposition. Also, this Tony G guy hasn’t done much since writing Rogue One which is rather concerning. Disney doesn’t seem to line up top talent talent for most of their TV shows.

Last edited:

Doom85

Considering it’s most likely Harrison Ford came back for Episode 7 on the condition he was killed off (he wanted Han dead in 6 but Lucas was like, “no, that hurts toy sales!”, and Ford has made it clear he does not view Han as good as his other characters like Indiana Jones and Deckard), and not to mention Carrie Fisher passing away, an EU adaptation would have been a disaster.

Not to mention the EU being adapted only works if it had begun filming not long after Episode 6. It’s one thing in 2015 for 7 to bring in Ben Solo already as an adult, but it would be quite another for an EU Episode 7 to start and grown up Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, and Ben (not to mention Mara Jade, various students and teachers of the Jedi Academy, etc.) are just there, have offscreen established relationships with the OG cast, and the movie has to waste a ton of time catching us up on a ton of characters we’ve met for the first time yet have all this important stuff to elaborate on. It’s way easier to just bring in a new cast who mostly don’t have history with prior characters and thus can be developed naturally.

Plus Lucas didn’t really give a shit about the original EU. He gave them basic rules they had to follow and left them to their devices but it was obvious he would quickly retcon or erase whatever he felt like. In fact, IIRC one of the Planet of Fear books imply the Clone Wars involves the Jedi Council fighting clones of themselves which Lucas obviously ignored when he later made the prequels. There was also the Jedi Academy books where Exar Kun appears to Luke in the form of Anakin and describes his fall to the Dark Side in a way that Anakin did not do so in Episode 2 and 3, though one could chalk this up to Exar Kun not knowing exactly himself how Anakin fell and taking a gamble thst Luke himself did not either.

Anyway, I highly doubt an even semi-accurate EU adaptation would have ever worked.

Considering it’s most likely Harrison Ford came back for Episode 7 on the condition he was killed off (he wanted Han dead in 6 but Lucas was like, “no, that hurts toy sales!”, and Ford has made it clear he does not view Han as good as his other characters like Indiana Jones and Deckard), and not to mention Carrie Fisher passing away, an EU adaptation would have been a disaster.

Not to mention the EU being adapted only works if it had begun filming not long after Episode 6. It’s one thing in 2015 for 7 to bring in Ben Solo already as an adult, but it would be quite another for an EU Episode 7 to start and grown up Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, and Ben (not to mention Mara Jade, various students and teachers of the Jedi Academy, etc.) are just there, have offscreen established relationships with the OG cast, and the movie has to waste a ton of time catching us up on a ton of characters we’ve met for the first time yet have all this important stuff to elaborate on. It’s way easier to just bring in a new cast who mostly don’t have history with prior characters and thus can be developed naturally.

Plus Lucas didn’t really give a shit about the original EU. He gave them basic rules they had to follow and left them to their devices but it was obvious he would quickly retcon or erase whatever he felt like. In fact, IIRC one of the Planet of Fear books imply the Clone Wars involves the Jedi Council fighting clones of themselves which Lucas obviously ignored when he later made the prequels. There was also the Jedi Academy books where Exar Kun appears to Luke in the form of Anakin and describes his fall to the Dark Side in a way that Anakin did not do so in Episode 2 and 3, though one could chalk this up to Exar Kun not knowing exactly himself how Anakin fell and taking a gamble thst Luke himself did not either.

Anyway, I highly doubt an even semi-accurate EU adaptation would have ever worked.

Oh I know the EU wasn't Canon even from the beginning but at least George Lucas allowed it to exist.

Coruscant was created by Timonty Zahn

BTW I love all the George Lucas official Canon

Last edited:
Top Bottom