• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy5

I found a cool little open world RPG on the market today, thought I'd recommend it. It runs a little slow on my LG Optimus, but I'm getting a G2 this week and I think it'll run better. The graphics are a little rough, but it has a single player WoW feel to it.

Crusade of Destiny

Youtube video

f-1-ac96b04b4a26f8a267f571c012f08b141a67c6d3

JCX

I'm kind of surprised that a company that specializes exclusively in iOS to Android ports hasn't come forward yet. The closest would probably be Gameloft, but they just do their own games. Robo-defense is okay, but I want Fieldrunners. It's the only iOS game that I really miss.

andycapps

JCX said:
I'm kind of surprised that a company that specializes exclusively in iOS to Android ports hasn't come forward yet. The closest would probably be Gameloft, but they just do their own games. Robo-defense is okay, but I want Fieldrunners. It's the only iOS game that I really miss.

It is kind of strange that nobody's developed a "Quake 3" or UE for Android type thing yet.. Something that everyone else follows that has already worked all of the kinks out for the different phones and such. I mean, you could probably sell that kind of thing for a couple grand for the SDK to each developer and get rich off it if it caught on. The development time would be steep, but if it catches on, could be a quick way to get rich since people could buy your SDK instead of spending all the money and time to create their own.

wondermega

drizzle said:
Hey! I don't know if you seen this, but you have been just featured on tested.com weekly Android Marketplace suggestion thing:

http://www.tested.com/news/android-market-roundup-attack-of-the-public-domain-laser-squid/2190/

I'm glad this is happening to you, because the game is solid. Best of luck on your future endeavors.. :D

Thanks so much! I had no idea about that review.
It is so, SO HARD getting attention on the Android Marketplace, I am happy with the number of DLs we've got so far (a little over 5,000) but we really need to shoot way past that for this to make a dent at all (well over 100,000). It's barely been a week since release, and it is very hard to know what to expect - but if things snowball a little, then we may have a tiny chance :) I am spending a ton of time "behind the scenes" right now trying to get some more press. If anyone in here can help, that would be huge

In the meantime, new page, so here's the QR once again :) Grab it and have fun. Remember, pay $1.99 for the full unlocked game of 180, or play it free to gradually unlock all features and after 10 hours of gameplay, all the ads disappear permanently.

gQf39h

I'll check back in a day or so and drop some gameplay tips in here, there's a few hidden secrets to scoring crazy points ;) They are not too hard to figure out, of course..

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Menelaus said:
Let us know how the $1.99 price point works out.

For comparison, our game Cubes Free (ad supported) is at 300,000 downloads, and the Pro version (ad free, extra features) is only at 800 downloads priced at $.99.

It's true that Android folks hate paying.
Ragnar I didn't even know you were/worked for a developer! themoreyouknow.gif

wondermega said:
In the meantime, new page, so here's the QR once again :) Grab it and have fun. Remember, pay $1.99 for the full unlocked game of 180, or play it free to gradually unlock all features and after 10 hours of gameplay, all the ads disappear permanently.

Downloading, and impressed with business model... !

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone with a tegra 2 chipset needs to check out riptide up. Its a waverace clone with the best visuals in an android game to date.

Menelaus

Banned
AstroLad said:
Ragnar I didn't even know you were/worked for a developer! themoreyouknow.gif
Just my evening hobby for now, Astro. It's just me and a friend at this point (but it's paying for a trip to Vegas!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Menelaus said:
Just my evening hobby for now, Astro. It's just me and a friend at this point (but it's paying for a trip to Vegas!)
very cool. best wishes with that. android marketplace is at a really interesting point -- definitely on the cusp of something

Massa

Noob question regarding DRM and Android.

So I'm trying out Android builds on my phone. I installed a 1.6 build and played around with it; downloaded the only game I've bought so far (Game Dev Story), and it's working fine there. Great game by the way, and very lightweight.

Then I try another build, with Android 2.2. Same phone and Google account, but obviously a complete new "Android install", so might as well be a different system. I can download and install the game, but when I try to load it fails after a few seconds with a "License Error Code = 2147483647". The loading screen I see before the error is from the game itself.

Am I supposed to uninstall or deactivate the game on the Android 1.6 system before I can use it on 2.2? If it makes any difference I bought it on Android's website from my computer, and then had it downloaded on the two "phones".

Zeal

Banned
Thank god for this thread. Fuck all the "android has games hur hur" haters. We are taking mobile gaming over.

Can someone please recommend a good adventure game(s)?

Rockin a Xoom.

Yoshiya

Zeal said:
Thank god for this thread. Fuck all the "android has games hur hur" haters. We are taking mobile gaming over.
It's still got long way to go. I've been considering a handful of low end Android devices to replace my current Nokia but the total dearth of games is making it a somewhat unappealing prospect. The barrier for entry on a iPhone is still too high, for now, for me to take that commitment on. My iOS favourites (Sword & Sworcery, Infinity Blade, the SE catalogue, etc) remain for the most part exclusives, which is genuinely disappointing, given the sheer number of Android devices out there. While I'm by no means an Apple fanboy unless that shows tangible sings of changing I'll probably hold out for an eventual prepaid iPhone model.

Edit: If S&S ever does make it over you'll have your adventure games decision made, at least. By far the best iPad game I've played.

Zeal said:

I own a Droid X, and all I can say to this is HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

The only reason I would ever buy an iDevice would be for the extensive games library on that side of the fence. Android is a barren wasteland by comparison.

SHAZOOM said:
Anyone else playing DEMON HUNTER? Its a action RPG like Caligo Chasers/Zenonia, but more in the vein of Metroidvanias.

DEMON HUNTER

ss-0-320-480-160-0-17818acfc606afe73b76793500154f58de9b2289
ss-1-320-480-160-0-f37ed798fb8ea7e508bbff590ceba6ff44e6207e
ss-2-320-480-160-0-40142f84d909f61aeef669fc80fbbe3c55efe039

Is it possible to play this game with a Wii using bluetooth? Just like Callibretto, I can't play these types of games with virtual buttons.

Fox Mulder

Unknown Soldier said:
The only reason I would ever buy an iDevice would be for the extensive games library on that side of the fence. Android is a barren wasteland by comparison.

yeah, we don't even have goddamn peggle.

kinggroin

Banned
Zeal said:

Rockin a Xoom.

zenonia 2 is a nice action adventure rpg

andycapps

Corran Horn said:
Or basic apps like Netflix ;;
Peggle or Plants v Zombies would completely own for my phone though.

Welll supposedly Popcap was working on their first batch of games for Android several months ago. Once the big devs start jumping in and making a splash, we'll see how the market changes.

Picking up 180 now, if it's something I like I'll definitely throw the $1.99 your way.

Edit: Can't seem to find Meganoid on the market right now.

andycapps

Urban Scholar said:
Any shmups of note?

Pew Pew is really good. Radiant is supposed to be good, I didn't care for it.

@wondermega, 180 is really good! Was skeptical at first because of the genre, but I really like it. I posted it on my Twitter for others to check out and will probably throw the $1.99 your way after work today.

andycapps

Urban Scholar said:
Pew pew was a good recommendation, thank you.

You're welcome, there are probably others that are good as well (Pew Pew 2 is supposed to be good), but I don't really play a ton of games on my phone. I don't ride a train or subway or anything, and when I'm at work I can't play games. When I'm at home I like to play real games on a console or a PC.

Zeal said:

Rockin a Xoom.

Is a proud Android fanboy, I'd have to say no :(

This thread is 7 months old and we haven't even broken 500 posts yet. Android gaming is abysmal, but we do have emulators and can pair with a wiimote, which makes android that much more awesome!

wondermega

andycapps said:
Pew Pew is really good. Radiant is supposed to be good, I didn't care for it.

@wondermega, 180 is really good! Was skeptical at first because of the genre, but I really like it. I posted it on my Twitter for others to check out and will probably throw the $1.99 your way after work today.

thanks for checking it out! At this phase, I'll go on record to say that I don't care terribly much whether or not people pick up the paid version of 180 - if you just keep the Free version and enjoy it, then that's enough for me :) Play it enough to understand the depth of it, and if you really wanna help, please leave a comment on the Market and make sure to tell your friends that they should grab it as well.

It's been an interesting week, and through the whole process I've learned a lot about the differences between the iOS market and the Android. I do think this (Android) market will keep growing, slowly but steadily, it's been proven that there is a demand and the customer interest is there. Unfortunately, a lot of limiting factors are preventing a smoother growth. Aside from those already mentioned several times over:

- Google has got to step up and encourage developers a lot more. They've been meeting with plenty of people (hell, I've met with them) and that's all well and good, but they really need to be more encouraging and perhaps somewhat incentivizing to bring more developers over for their device. They are really sitting on a gold mine but they are too slow to get the machine moving. Meanwhile iOS is literally spilling over with tons of product.. and good for them. A lot of those devs are releasing excellent product and starving because of the over saturation. This is stupid.

- The Android Gamer audience needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They need to be more supportive of developers as well; as such, I find that many of them are either ignorant or just plain mean. I walk into their door with the "I won't ever get most of you to give me any money for my products" knowledge, but I am a bit flabbergasted how they stomp all over a developer who is new to their turf and within days of release, I am getting scores of bad reviews because my application has issues running on your crappy old phone. I know all about the fragmentation, I am working on it. If you want results, email me your specific issues and make/model and I'll do what I can to accommodate you (or explain why I might not be able to). Instead, the satisfied people take the game and say nothing, and the angry folks spew bile. I don't mean to sound particularly butthurt about it (as a small developer in a new territory, you expect this) but I would like to see a more positive/welcoming vibe from the Android gaming community, and I absolutely think it would go a long way toward festering a more positive attitude from other cautious iOS devs who are skittish about making the jump.

It will get better, just takes time and patience/hard work..

andycapps

wondermega said:
thanks for checking it out! At this phase, I'll go on record to say that I don't care terribly much whether or not people pick up the paid version of 180 - if you just keep the Free version and enjoy it, then that's enough for me :) Play it enough to understand the depth of it, and if you really wanna help, please leave a comment on the Market and make sure to tell your friends that they should grab it as well.

It's been an interesting week, and through the whole process I've learned a lot about the differences between the iOS market and the Android. I do think this (Android) market will keep growing, slowly but steadily, it's been proven that there is a demand and the customer interest is there. Unfortunately, a lot of limiting factors are preventing a smoother growth. Aside from those already mentioned several times over:

- Google has got to step up and encourage developers a lot more. They've been meeting with plenty of people (hell, I've met with them) and that's all well and good, but they really need to be more encouraging and perhaps somewhat incentivizing to bring more developers over for their device. They are really sitting on a gold mine but they are too slow to get the machine moving. Meanwhile iOS is literally spilling over with tons of product.. and good for them. A lot of those devs are releasing excellent product and starving because of the over saturation. This is stupid.

- The Android Gamer audience needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They need to be more supportive of developers as well; as such, I find that many of them are either ignorant or just plain mean. I walk into their door with the "I won't ever get most of you to give me any money for my products" knowledge, but I am a bit flabbergasted how they stomp all over a developer who is new to their turf and within days of release, I am getting scores of bad reviews because my application has issues running on your crappy old phone. I know all about the fragmentation, I am working on it. If you want results, email me your specific issues and make/model and I'll do what I can to accommodate you (or explain why I might not be able to). Instead, the satisfied people take the game and say nothing, and the angry folks spew bile. I don't mean to sound particularly butthurt about it (as a small developer in a new territory, you expect this) but I would like to see a more positive/welcoming vibe from the Android gaming community, and I absolutely think it would go a long way toward festering a more positive attitude from other cautious iOS devs who are skittish about making the jump.

It will get better, just takes time and patience/hard work..

It's very true that Android customers are pretty harsh on devs whose games don't work immediately for their phones. Maybe a good model is to release a game as a beta until you figure out all the bugs and then when it's stable, introduce the pay option.

But to be honest, I'm going to start buying more games, even if I don't have time to play them. Simply for the fact that I want to see more games on Android so I'm making an investment in the games that are there now so that other devs will jump in. Heck, Popcap has one game on the platform! And it's Bejeweled 2 that I have no interest in. But, because I want them to hurry up and put P vs Z on the platform, I'll probably buy it. For me, I don't understand a dev wanting to test the platform by putting out Bejeweled 2, rather than P vs Z, as it's probably reinforcing the stereotype that Android customers don't care about buying games, when the reality may be that we don't care about buying the games that are there now.

In other news, downloaded Meganoid last night, and it is awesome. Fantastic game so far. And, it's nice to see them develop on Android first and then port to iOS. Dev said is probably going to finish squashing bugs and adding more levels, then will introduce a $.99 paid option, which I will buy day one.

wondermega

I understand Popcap putting Bejeweled on Android, *if any of their products* - it is easily their most universally successful and recognizable franchise to date, and is certainly one of the easiest "pick up and play" games of all time due to the simplicity of the design coupled with the "play at your own pace" gameplay style. Anyone can play while they are even 1/2-paying attention..

It is rather ridiculous that a casual-focused publisher such as Popcap has such little territory on Android, but then I am surprised they've not pushed more onto the iPhone either. Watching what they've done and said, I think they are generally more of a "short-term ROI" focused company than a "put down your stakes for the long-term," and they probably realize that most any of their franchises they release (especially on the Android platform) will not get a lot of goodwill unless they price it cheap/free, and they probably see that as a serious devaluing of their brands overall.

Personally, I disagree with that (as evidenced by our pricing experiments) and so do companies like Rovio - you really need to consider drastically different methods to monetize things on the mobile platforms, if you want to lead/last, but it's true this cetainly does come with some risk (and the higher your profile, the more it angers traditionalists)

EDIT: We are putting some last touches on an update for 180, those with older/crappier handsets should see some sunshine soon :)

basik

somebody with a XOOM or something please check this out and tell us how it is...requires tablet to play:

http://www.vendetta-online.com/android/

Vendetta Online™ is a long-running scifi MMORPG, where players fly spaceships in a vast, persistent galaxy. Users may build their characters in any direction they desire, becoming rich captains of industry, military heroes, or outlaws. A fast-paced, realtime "twitch" style combat model gives intense action, coupled with the backdrop of RPG gameplay in a massive online galaxy. Three major player factions form a delicate balance of power, with several NPC sub-factions creating situations of economic struggle, political intrigue and conflict. The completely persistent universe and detailed storyline add to the depth of immersion, resulting in a unique online experience.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdulyrAkvX4&feature=player_embedded

The game is currently available in the Android Market for owners of devices based on NVIDIA Tegra, with 7-inch displays or larger, running Android 3.0 (Honeycomb). This includes the Motorola Xoom.

you know what's the best game you can play on an Android phone?

FLAGS OF THE WORLD.

so damn addicting, i've learnt every single flag in the world thanks to it, lolz. i can get a perfect score every time now :D

basik

basik said:
why isnt POCKET LEGENDS in this thread????

best game on android right now imo...

afj1bs.jpg

http://www.appbrain.com/app/pocket-legends-(3d-mmo)/sts.pl

full 3D MMORPG

its a real mmo...amazing to me to see hundreds of people running around in full 3d on my phone.

I'm a level 17 archer right now. you cant get higher than like level 18 without paying for 'platinum' that lets you buy new areas and items. they have some special going on now where you get free plat for installing some apps they want you to try..I installed like 15 apps and opened them once then immediately uninstalled them and got 15 plat for free which was enough to unlock 2 new areas.

pm if you want my name to add me as friend.

anybody else playing this? servers down right now because of amazons cloud thing going down or whatever.

basik said:
anybody else playing this? servers down right now because of amazons cloud thing going down or whatever.

I got into for a little bit and it was pretty fun. I'm planning on getting back into it once I get a tablet.

wondermega

180amicon122.jpg

if you've been playing our game 180 and had problems with it working on your phone (lower end/older models) and would be interested in helping us test our "lo-fi" version, please contact me pronto and I'll get you a new test build. This will be very helpful, thanks!

We're releasing a build with smaller assets shortly, this might run on a lot more handsets (HD assets still present and will display when supported)

soultron said:
If you're looking for a rather robust traditional (I mean that in the sense that it's not something you'd play for 5 minutes at a time) game experience, try out

Cyberlords - Arcology

Cyberlords-Arcology.jpg

Cyberlords+Arcology+2.jpg

It's almost like Shadowrun or Baldurs Gate having a baby with Deus Ex. On your phone.

The controls are great and there's an option to freeze time to issue out commands on a per-character basis.

I played for an hour today, but reviews on its Market page boast about it taking 6-9 hours to complete.

There's a free version (fully featured, but has an ad window) and the full version is currently on sale for ~$1.40.

Bottom line: get this game. It's a proper gaming experience done right. The controls are awesome.
I tried this out and ended up buying it...great game. Runs smooth and loads fast on my HTC Inspire.

Thanks for the heads up!

Link Man

Banned
I've been trying out quite a few games on my new phone, but so far the ones I like best are Chess, Super Sudoku, Gailardia (a must-have free game for Dragon Quest fans), and Jewels.

I've a question, though: If I buy an App and then upgrade my phone, will I be able to transfer the App to my new phone? I wasn't sure, and wanted to find out before I made any purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom